Cornwall Football Forum

Lee Hobbs leaves Parkway

9 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

Heard Rumours for a while but confirmed by the club today.  Big changes coming wonder who in the frame for the job 

I'd heard Darren Way was in pole position if Parkway stayed up, with Matt Cusack first choice if relegated. Way would be a big name if appointed, especially for the level, and the opportunity for puns is massive. There is a part of me, however, where I can't help but feel that with the length of time Lee has been at the club, whoever comes in will suffer from the Moyes post Ferguson or Emery post Wenger syndrome (or even to keep the Plymouth theme, Bobby Williamson post Sturrock) of not being an objectively bad manager, but just not being Lee.

I don’t think Lee Hobbs is a Step 3 manager, but without doubt his achievements are beyond stellar at PPFC.  I enjoyed his post-match interview after Beaconsfield, a great mix of pride and passion. 

If I was choosing his replacement I’d go for Matt Cusack. Parkway need someone who can be both a good coach and tactician. He knows the club too. 

All the best to Lee moving forward.

39 minutes ago, Devonian said:

Jumped or pushed?

I think he was going be sacked  so probably a bit easier to go down the resigned headline.  7 years and he help build the club winning countless trophies but i do feel this season has taken its toll. He found it hard to get in players that are good enough the ones he did spend money on were way of the standard  , constant battles with the board for money to compete is time for fresh ideas. 
parkway going through the process of interviewing for the job. I can’t believe they haven’t got a name or sounded out a manager . 

38 minutes ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

If I was choosing his replacement I’d go for Matt Cusack. Parkway need someone who can be both a good coach and tactician. He knows the club too. 

All the best to Lee moving forward.

Karl Curtis might want try on his own 

Shane Krac and Danny Lewis  mentioned but not a lot experience. Would be a risk 

Stuart Henderson tavi  

55 minutes ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Can't see Cusack leaving Helston just yet, would think he'd want a crack in the Southern League Div One with Helston first. 

2 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

don’t think Lee Hobbs is a Step 3 manager, but without doubt his achievements are beyond stellar at PPFC.  I enjoyed his post-match interview after Beaconsfield, a great mix of pride and passion. 

Maybe he should give Liskeard a go to get them promoted 👍

Did seem to be a fairly open secret that Lee Hobbs was on his way out at Parkway (billing your final week of fixtures as "The Last Dance" fuelled this). Having said that, his demeanour in the post match interview did not give the impression of man who was in the final hours of a 7 year reign. After seeing this, I thought that after a much earned holiday and rest he would be back for next season refreshed and ready to go. 

I very much doubt that this is the last we have seen of Lee Hobbs on the local scene, I fully expect him to be back in charge at step 4 or 5 level before too long.

Regarding the next manager in, it will give a good idea of where Parkway see themselves heading, and if step 2 football is still the ambition or it's to be a period of consolidation. A good comparison in my mind are Salisbury, they made the decision last season to make the change and remove high profile Steve Claridge. Claridge was an investor in the club, had been instrumental in them reforming as a phoenix club, and had achieved 5 promotions in his 7 seasons as manager. It was incredibly divisive amongst fans when he was sacked, but the new boss has taken them to 3rd in the league and a play off spot.

It is going to take big money to take the club from where they are now, and up towards the play offs. Hobbs has often eluded to (and mentioned it again yesterday) the gap in budget and resources available between them and the teams towards the top of this division. Any big name that is brought in would expect this to be addressed, just not sure Parkway have this capability.  I notice that an advert for the position has been placed, with a deadline of May 2nd for applications. Logically, you would already think there is a name in the frame for the job, they will certainly have no time to waste in terms of player retention and recruitment with a lot of work to do in terms of squad strength and quality. After last summers problems, it is vital that the right players are brought in promptly for July's pre season and that there is a strong start to the season proper. Something that has not happened in recent years. Much has been said (rightly) about the chaotic end of the season that almost sent Parkway down, but the awful start that saw them win just 2 of their opening 13 league games and had them playing catch up from the word go, is not so widely spoken about.

All in all, going to be another summer of major comings and goings at Bolitho Park.

3 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

I think he was going be sacked  so probably a bit easier to go down the resigned headline.  7 years and he help build the club winning countless trophies but i do feel this season has taken its toll. He found it hard to get in players that are good enough the ones he did spend money on were way of the standard  , constant battles with the board for money to compete is time for fresh ideas. 
parkway going through the process of interviewing for the job. I can’t believe they haven’t got a name or sounded out a manager . 

Karl Curtis might want try on his own 

Shane Krac and Danny Lewis  mentioned but not a lot experience. Would be a risk 

Stuart Henderson tavi  

Henderson a fairly safe bet. Used to working on restricted budgets. He'd be the consolidate at Step 3 option.

1 minute ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Henderson a fairly safe bet. Used to working on restricted budgets. He'd be the consolidate at Step 3 option.

Not that popular a choice really among parkway fans. And hardly had that great a season, would  he really be the right one to take parkway forward 

Depends on  the ambition of the board. If you want playoffs minimum, in my humble opinion no. If its about just staying in the league,still a no from me. It's all about the money , a decent Manager will be costly too. Regarding Lee Hobbs, I did not always like his style of play or many of his signings, that said he wore his heart on sleeve and gave Parkway his all. 

2 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

Not that popular a choice really among parkway fans. And hardly had that great a season, would  he really be the right one to take parkway forward 

As I said, to consolidate at Step ,  Henderson is a safe choice. Establishing Tavi at Step 4 is relative success. I think he could do the same in the Southern Prem. If that is the short term aim it would be a sensible if not inspiring choice. If you want to push towards the upper reaches of Step 3 and challenge for promotion then maybe not the one to go for. Having seen a fair bit of Tavi they aren't the prettiest side to watch either. One up front usually and over-reliant on Liam Prynn.

However, it is not all about the manager. It is about the ambition of the board and the funding of a competitive squad, both in terms of number and quality. The likes of Matt Wright and Reece Thomson and others of a similar ability won't cut it. The board has had an easy ride to date. Will that continue? Does another investor need to be found? Is it Mark Russell who has as many / more limitations as the manager just departed? 

A thorough refresh of the squad needed. A better approach to pre-season might help furnish a better start too. Interesting times!

2 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

I think establishing Tavi at Step 4 is a pretty good achievement.

Slightly off topic but managerially related nevertheless. Mark Cooper was spotted sniffing around at Beaconsfield v Parkway yesterday. Doubt he lives in the area or was out for a quiet Saturday afternoon stroll in the sunny Buckinghamshire countryside. Should give the gossipers something to gossip about. 😉🎣🎣 

Darren way and mark cooper being mentioned I can’t believe any of them will come to work on a budget parkway provide 

there been a few at the recent games some I understand scouting keeping on eye on Dylan jones. Now there a player that any new manger going have to try  and keep. 

On 28/04/2024 at 10:24, tfenlon said:

I'd heard Darren Way was in pole position if Parkway stayed up, with Matt Cusack first choice if relegated. Way would be a big name if appointed, especially for the level, and the opportunity for puns is massive. There is a part of me, however, where I can't help but feel that with the length of time Lee has been at the club, whoever comes in will suffer from the Moyes post Ferguson or Emery post Wenger syndrome (or even to keep the Plymouth theme, Bobby Williamson post Sturrock) of not being an objectively bad manager, but just not being Lee.

Remind me, what was the Parkway video series called?

Interesting interview with Lee Hobbs in the Evening Herald.  This comment caught my attention;

"With Truro out of the building and set to return home for next season, investment in the playing surface and the White Tigers’ temporary stay leading to a modified stadium suitable for Step Two football, then it does beggar the question why Hobbs wants to leave now.

“Because my own personal ambition outweighs that of the football club,” Hobbs says adamantly. “Obviously the football club’s remit each year will probably likely be to stay in the league and I want a little bit more."

This would suggest that whoever the next manager is at Parkway, they will have to work within a tighter budget.

1 hour ago, Ian Pethick said:

Interesting interview with Lee Hobbs in the Evening Herald.  This comment caught my attention;

"With Truro out of the building and set to return home for next season, investment in the playing surface and the White Tigers’ temporary stay leading to a modified stadium suitable for Step Two football, then it does beggar the question why Hobbs wants to leave now.

“Because my own personal ambition outweighs that of the football club,” Hobbs says adamantly. “Obviously the football club’s remit each year will probably likely be to stay in the league and I want a little bit more."

This would suggest that whoever the next manager is at Parkway, they will have to work within a tighter budget.

This comes down to his battle with the club for more money ( I think he had that battle every year) . But I also understand they weren’t too impressed with money  already spent by him in early part of season on players that were not good enough  etc and left. 

6 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

This comes down to his battle with the club for more money ( I think he had that battle every year) . But I also understand they weren’t too impressed with money  already spent by him in early part of season on players that were not good enough  etc and left. 

Might be an idea for the club to knock the glossy videos showcasing the new signings on the head. Out of the 6 grand "unveilings" only 1 saw the season out, 1 never even started it and the others had gone by Christmas.