Cornwall Football Forum

Mike Murray RIP

Ian Hunn

It is with deepest sadness that I announce the passing of Mike Murray. 
As many of you know, Mike was for many years a referee and after finishing continued his involvement as Fixture secretary for the East Cornwall league. 
Mike played locally for St. Dominick and was indeed a sports fanatic. His other love was cricket, which he also played locally for St. Dominick, South Hill and Gunnislake before umpiring to decent standard in the Cornwall cricket league. 
I’ve known Mike, as a neighbour and good friend for 40 odd years and spent hours talking to him about sport, local sport in particular! 
Up until recently he still turned up to watch St. Dominick and have a chat with everybody.

Another good servant of local sport gone. 

Our thoughts and condolences to Hilary and the family from all at St. Dominick FC. 

RIP Mike 

David James <spwest234fixtures@gmail.com>

Very sad news indeed .
I first got to know Mike when his daughter started playing in the Cornwall women's league way back in the 90s and we became good friends and had many phone conversations and laughs after that in the cricket circle when umpiring together all across the County .
He took a keen interest in my grandson's achievements in both football and cricket and would ask to stand at Dom's end when he was bowling for Beacon C C so they could chat during the afternoons 
Mike loved to chat !!!! 
He also did a Sterling job for several years appointing referees on the Swleague along with the fixturing on the East Cornwall League .

Those memories of a great friend will live long in my memory .

RIP Mike , you will be greatly missed 
cleardot.gif

Thank you for sharing this very sad news on the forum.

I was only chatting to Mike about ten days ago, so it is a shock to me.

Mike was instrumental in encouraging the emerging Callington Town FC in the early 1990s, and supported entry to the East Cornwall Premier League.

I got to know Mike well as he was the ECPL Fixture Secretary, and I was the Callington Town Secretary for a number of years. I also remember him refereeing games.

Mike was always happy to spend time having a chat about local football, and could be seen at many a local game. In recent times I know that he enjoyed watching Truro City - best standard of non league football around he reckoned.

As has been said already, and I'm sure others will attest to, a tireless football administrator, for ever friendly and helpful, and much much more besides.

My condolences to his widow, and family.

Phil Brown

Very very sad news. Mike was everything you'd want from someone on a League committee. Helpful, engaging but also happy to wrap your nuckles if you were taking the mick! 

Always enjoyed our conversations and it didn't seem too long ago he was at Torpoint watching a game.

Thoughts are with his family 💛

I can only echo Callum’s and everyone else’s comments here. Always found Mike had time for everyone and was a stalwart of the ECPL. 
Both St Newlyn East and Wadebridge Reserves paid their respects yesterday with a minute’s silence before their fixture.

Our condolences to Mike’s family.

Jiggy, St Newlyn East AFC

IMG_4791.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...