Millbrook               0-2   Wellington

Nailsea & Tickenham   3-3   Ilfracombe Town

Shepton Mallet   0-1   Clevedon Town

Torpoint Athletic 2-0   St Blazey

2 minutes ago, Deano said:

Falmouth Town 2-1 Saltash United 

Scorers: Rubin Wilson, Oscar Massey 

Red Card: James Ward 

Backs up what Macca Brown said on the podcast this week.  Falmouth have pushed the boat out on two strikers who are proven at this level (who both scored), Saltash are searching for one.

Goals win games, that is the bottom line I'm afraid. 

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Saturday 16 December 2023

Good game at Falmouth. From my position in the stand, I have to say I thought the red was a touch hard on Falmouth but last man is last man. Led to an interesting last 15. 

Couldn't complain about the winning goal - we saw Sam Leary do much the same last season so the gods evened it up today. 

Good chanting from the F Troop- Saltash is apparently just a small town in Devon 😅😅.  Does that mean Falmouth is just a suburb of Truro 😂😂

Nah, seriously all good banter, friendly welcome as always and well done Falmouth. 

12 hours ago, Philheybrookbay said:

Good game at Falmouth. From my position in the stand, I have to say I thought the red was a touch hard on Falmouth but last man is last man. Led to an interesting last 15. 

Couldn't complain about the winning goal - we saw Sam Leary do much the same last season so the gods evened it up today. 

Good chanting from the F Troop- Saltash is apparently just a small town in Devon 😅😅.  Does that mean Falmouth is just a suburb of Truro 😂😂

Nah, seriously all good banter, friendly welcome as always and well done Falmouth. 

Thought your lads played really well Phil,can't understand why your down the bottom end of the table.

1 hour ago, mattelot said:

Thought your lads played really well Phil,can't understand why your down the bottom end of the table.

It's upfront. Not helped by losing two strikers to clubs higher up, and then Kieran and Coxy got injured. But that's the nature of football, the lads get their chance at Step 4 or 3 and you let them go with good wishes. 👍 

Every loss is by one goal so its not like we're not competitive (Welton was a one off) but the table doesn't lie. 

What's incredible is the spirit - the lads enjoy playing for the badge and things like the club was rocking with all three mens sides last Saturday night is a massive positive going forward. 

3 hours ago, Philheybrookbay said:

It's upfront. Not helped by losing two strikers to clubs higher up, and then Kieran and Coxy got injured. But that's the nature of football, the lads get their chance at Step 4 or 3 and you let them go with good wishes. 👍 

Every loss is by one goal so its not like we're not competitive (Welton was a one off) but the table doesn't lie. 

What's incredible is the spirit - the lads enjoy playing for the badge and things like the club was rocking with all three mens sides last Saturday night is a massive positive going forward. 

Having seen the Ashes a lot recently that is true. In 4 games I've seen of late, the Ashes have matched or bettered opponents in terms of play, but for reasons stated above by Phil, goals hard to come by 

I have enjoyed those recent trips. There is a good feel about the club. The supporters patience and backing has been good. All of this prompted by earlier post about the future could be bright for Saltash. I do hope so!

With our new strikers Rubin Wilson & Oscar Massey both scoring it was a great day for Town. Masseys 25 yarder which curled into the top corner right in front of the F-Troop was a potential goal of the season, the crowd went wild !!! With Jacob Grange, Ollie Walker, Luke Brabyn & Alex Wharton all class players all available for selection along with our 2 new arrivals Town are in a great place. Boxing Day next stop... bring it on !!!! 

Just now, John Henry said:

Is clevedon the surprise package this season and could they be the team that end up top of the pile.

Thoughts!

Not a great surprise. They ditched the quick spending attitude for step 4 a few years ago and have brought on the youngsters and built from 2nd team upwards. 

Their budget is surprisingly low if yuu ask the right people but it's paying off in spades. 

2 hours ago, Philheybrookbay said:

Not a great surprise. They ditched the quick spending attitude for step 4 a few years ago and have brought on the youngsters and built from 2nd team upwards. 

Their budget is surprisingly low if yuu ask the right people but it's paying off in spades. 

Phil I’m not sure if it’s a question for yourself or how I expect you to answer on a public forum.

But the league table doesn’t look ideal thus far for you guys. I know/assume the expectations aren’t the same as last season but I assume you want to stay at step 5 for the foreseeable?

Hope it all works out though, have always enjoyed my visits to your ground!

2 hours ago, Philheybrookbay said:

Good template for Saltash. Just got to find a goalscorer, no doubt Macca Brown is searching high and low.

12 hours ago, Tavi Fan said:

Phil I’m not sure if it’s a question for yourself or how I expect you to answer on a public forum.

But the league table doesn’t look ideal thus far for you guys. I know/assume the expectations aren’t the same as last season but I assume you want to stay at step 5 for the foreseeable?

Hope it all works out though, have always enjoyed my visits to your ground!

Absolutely. It took us nearly 30 years to be back at Step 5 in Western Premier and whilst we understood this season was going to be very different and challenging at times given the circumstances of the Summer the plan remains to be Step 5 and then look and kick on forward in coming seasons. 

Factor in the ground improvements, club improvements, higher crowds this season and a feel good around the place. Just a bit more luck and some wins and we'll be fine. 

Torpoint AFC 2-0 St Blazey

Firstly, I'm sure everyone wants to hear about the Blazey bus... Really impressive and something to envy for all Clubs; nice homage to the past with the trophies displayed on the rear doors.

On the pitch; it was clear via the team sheets that both sides had players unavailable through injuries or the tactical Christmas period bans. Although the visitors were without Luke Cloak on his return to The Mill, Ben Waters stepped in always looking to prove a point. We were able to welcome back UK Armed Forces players, Gary Hird and Sean Thomson who have both been a huge miss whilst they've been away. Although the deadlock was opened early by Torpoint, it was Rickard who had to make the first save of the game from Russell. Seconds later, a Torpoint corner was met near post for Ryan Smith to continue his hot streak to head home. Blazey had numerous chances to get back on level terms but with Waters blazing over the bar, Rickard saving well from Tinsley and Newton they were soon made to pay for not taking their chances. Smith soon made it 2 with a rocket from outside of the area, whilst Hird almost added a 3rd before the break.

The 2nd half had a different feel and was no where near as open, Torpoint were resolute in their defensive shape and with Heveran commanding the back line were able to limit the Blazey opportunities.

A relatively even game but some quality keeping and finishing allowed us to collect the 3 points heading into our Boxing Day derby against Millbrook. A huge thank you to St Blazey for contributing to our food collection at The Mill. We are host our 50th anniversary of the social club opening this Saturday (23rd); all are welcome and it would be great to see a large turnout, we also have our Reserves hosting Millbrook Reserves on the same day.