Cornwall Football Forum

Gorran 4 st Dennis 2

If there's ever a reason for qualified refs yesterday was a classic example,I will not ever play a league game again without one!! There's no need for the swpl to have 3 qualified refs so the lower divisions have to suffer,it cost us yesterday and possibly saved gorran a couple of red cards but apparently league rules mean it's fine to carry on and play.

Pitch was awful,lines looked like they had been marked by a pissed up bloke with both eyes shut,grass hadn't been cut for 3 weeks,changing rooms were good and the food the only plus point of the day was excellent back at the barley sheaf pub.

On the reverse of this if we had more than 12 players available we could of reffed the 2 nd half and I can guarantee the result is st Dennis win.

The first guy to ref yesterday this isn't aimed at u,u were very fair.

38 minutes ago, davegrose said:

If there's ever a reason for qualified refs yesterday was a classic example,I will not ever play a league game again without one!! There's no need for the swpl to have 3 qualified refs so the lower divisions have to suffer,it cost us yesterday and possibly saved gorran a couple of red cards but apparently league rules mean it's fine to carry on and play.

Pitch was awful,lines looked like they had been marked by a pissed up bloke with both eyes shut,grass hadn't been cut for 3 weeks,changing rooms were good and the food the only plus point of the day was excellent back at the barley sheaf pub.

On the reverse of this if we had more than 12 players available we could of reffed the 2 nd half and I can guarantee the result is st Dennis win.

The SWPL certainly need linesmen. You can’t have the highest league in Cornwall (obviously Cornish teams play higher) with a club affiliate with a flag. 

41 minutes ago, davegrose said:

Nice one grovesssssssy,must off had a few to many shandies last night 

2 hours ago, davegrose said:

To be absolutely clear this is a mandatory FA rule that we have to follow and has been in place for a number of years.

If a game isn't played due to the lack of an appointed qualified official then either the game will be declared void and no points awarded or the points awarded to one of the teams depending on the circumstances.

I would also point out that Cornwall FA are running stand in referee courses and I would encourage all clubs, to try and get someone on these courses.

the Larger clubs in Cornwall with wide support and large committees (often well touted about all season) with multiple teams, youth sides, ladies and vets etc all involved should be made by the higher leagues to submit people onto the course or add a fully funded place in their stead to what the ccfa are offering. 
theae won’t need to officiate each week but would at least be available for any immediate urgent shortage on a day… 

2 hours ago, Steve Carpenter said:

To be absolutely clear this is a mandatory FA rule that we have to follow and has been in place for a number of years.

If a game isn't played due to the lack of an appointed qualified official then either the game will be declared void and no points awarded or the points awarded to one of the teams depending on the circumstances.

I would also point out that Cornwall FA are running stand in referee courses and I would encourage all clubs, to try and get someone on these courses.

Hi Steve if u were there yesterday u would of seen my point it's not the stand ins fault they were only doing wots best for their team which is how it is but on the flip side of that if Im in that position I'll make sure my team wins 

4 hours ago, davegrose said:

Couldn’t agree with you more, the fact is players will give up and there will be more teams lost due to it. 

The FA has to look at its structure, could the peninsula league have more Friday fixtures to release some officials, could these clubs in that league be made to have a qualified linesman. Something has to be done before it’s to late, or worse someone is seriously hurt! 

Thank you to the North Petherwin manager yesterday for reffing our game, this isn’t a dig at you, you had a tough afternoon! 

Martin Hunn

St Dominic Manager 

I agree with Martin. Given the shortage of officials, why do virtually all weekend games kick off at 3pm? Why aren't some (even occasional) games scheduled for Saturday mornings or evenings, or Sundays? Why aren't Monday and Thursday evenings not better utilised? Thousands of pounds are being spent on installing floodlights - are they being used sufficiently often to justify the expense? Why are tiny village teams playing for example in Division 4 expected to provide someone to officiate while Peninsula league clubs in relatively massive towns aren't?

1 hour ago, Darin Morse said:

I agree with Martin. Given the shortage of officials, why do virtually all weekend games kick off at 3pm? Why aren't some (even occasional) games scheduled for Saturday mornings or evenings, or Sundays? Why aren't Monday and Thursday evenings not better utilised? Thousands of pounds are being spent on installing floodlights - are they being used sufficiently often to justify the expense? Why are tiny village teams playing for example in Division 4 expected to provide someone to officiate while Peninsula league clubs in relatively massive towns aren't?

Early kick offs have been touted previously but it is the buy in from clubs that is needed and generally isn't being given as now the working week extends into Saturday and many work on a Saturday morning.

13 hours ago, Chunkycheese said:

I can’t understand why lower league teams would have equal access to referees and linesmen. 

Robbing Peter to pay Paul 

Lower league clubs should be able to be supported in match official coverage by so-called big clubs in higher leagues that can afford to pay players 3 figs a game yet divest themselves of any links to help the true grassroots game…£100 to fund a place on a refs  course for an interested volunteer… if each SWPL club did that then we could see the shortfall drastically reduced or even removed in a matter of a season … step 6 have to have the FA mandated officials but ought to recognise the drain this has on the game beneath their level and act accordingly 

Free referee courses are currently being advertised by Cornwall FA.  Prior to this season the leagues contributed funds to heavily subsidise courses with limited success.  Lee Swabey and the refereeing department are working as hard as they can to address the shortage and are I believe making some progress but it's a long way from being a quick fix.

4 hours ago, Steve Carpenter said:

Free referee courses are currently being advertised by Cornwall FA.  Prior to this season the leagues contributed funds to heavily subsidise courses with limited success.  Lee Swabey and the refereeing department are working as hard as they can to address the shortage and are I believe making some progress but it's a long way from being a quick fix.

My post wasn't aimed at the league or the ref appointment officer it was just high lighting the need for more refs there's plenty of money in the whole of football in this country to try and encourage people to pick up the whistle as they say

Looked at the St Pirans league results from Saturday. There were 17 St Pirans games with no ref / local referee out of 55. 

I don't think throwing money at it changes much. There's no better time to be a referee with the support and education opportunities available and the defined progression pathway. Especially from the team at Cornwall FA. 

In my experience it all boils down to referee abuse and people just cannot be assed to put up with the crap. There's also plenty of people that just say refs should sanction more and give out cards for dissent / abuse etc.... but that is retrospective and doesn't make the experience for the referee any better on the day. Especially as you then get the cries of 'ref, this game isn't about you'. 

The lower level of grassroots is feeling the pain of refs walking away from all levels of football and its affecting participation (in @davegrose case hes said he'd rather not play without a proper ref which is understandable). Fingers crossed clubs, players, spectators and coaches realise the impact of their behaviour and collectively decide to change something significant (This isnt something the referees departments can fix). Otherwise even more will just walk away from grassroots. 

10 hours ago, countyman said:

Lower league clubs should be able to be supported in match official coverage by so-called big clubs in higher leagues that can afford to pay players 3 figs a game yet divest themselves of any links to help the true grassroots game…£100 to fund a place on a refs  course for an interested volunteer… if each SWPL club did that then we could see the shortfall drastically reduced or even removed in a matter of a season … step 6 have to have the FA mandated officials but ought to recognise the drain this has on the game beneath their level and act accordingly 

In no way shape or form is it SWPL league team’s responsibility to find lower league clubs referees or people who can run the line or stand in. Many of these teams have second teams to organise and some even have youth teams 

Each club has different challenges regardless of the level. Should Mousehole now be expected to help fund St Blazeys travel bill?? 

To run a team/ club and then be on the receiving end of this is pretty off putting. In the past I remember having some really good stand in refs some who would really be capable of stepping up. I’d also say there’s a lot more colourful language aimed at refs higher up the leagues. Yet the blame for the shortage is hit hardest at the lowest level.  I get action and plans etc need to be put in place by ccfa regarding refs but clubs are run by volunteers and not every team have multiple roles. Secretary’s, treasurer, pitch maintenance, manager are at lots of clubs down to 1or 2 people. So maybe there should be abit more sympathy towards these clubs.
Within the leagues Dave bartlam was superb helpful, encouraging. whilst involved in the trelawny league.His views/opinions could benefit within the ccfa re the refs or any other issues

7 minutes ago, chesterfield said:

To run a team/ club and then be on the receiving end of this is pretty off putting. In the past I remember having some really good stand in refs some who would really be capable of stepping up. I’d also say there’s a lot more colourful language aimed at refs higher up the leagues. Yet the blame for the shortage is hit hardest at the lowest level.  I get action and plans etc need to be put in place by ccfa regarding refs but clubs are run by volunteers and not every team have multiple roles. Secretary’s, treasurer, pitch maintenance, manager are at lots of clubs down to 1or 2 people. So maybe there should be abit more sympathy towards these clubs.
Within the leagues Dave bartlam was superb helpful, encouraging. whilst involved in the trelawny league.His views/opinions could benefit within the ccfa re the refs or any other issues

They already are! @Dave Bartlam is the New Referee Co-ordinator and does a fantastic job looking after those referees just qualified.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/09/2023 at 16:50, TomTom said:

Looked at the St Pirans league results from Saturday. There were 17 St Pirans games with no ref / local referee out of 55. 

I don't think throwing money at it changes much. There's no better time to be a referee with the support and education opportunities available and the defined progression pathway. Especially from the team at Cornwall FA. 

In my experience it all boils down to referee abuse and people just cannot be assed to put up with the crap. There's also plenty of people that just say refs should sanction more and give out cards for dissent / abuse etc.... but that is retrospective and doesn't make the experience for the referee any better on the day. Especially as you then get the cries of 'ref, this game isn't about you'. 

The lower level of grassroots is feeling the pain of refs walking away from all levels of football and its affecting participation (in @davegrose case hes said he'd rather not play without a proper ref which is understandable). Fingers crossed clubs, players, spectators and coaches realise the impact of their behaviour and collectively decide to change something significant (This isnt something the referees departments can fix). Otherwise even more will just walk away from grassroots. 

Far easier to get a bent mate to ref a game and cheat, than it is to pay money for it!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/09/2023 at 08:55, davegrose said:

Fully agree here, why dont the FA pay for club people to be properly registered to run the line to avoid the club stigma.  Its seems such a waste to have an actual referee just running the line. I do imagine they probably get the same if not more to run the line in the SWPL vs refing games in the lower leagues of st pirans.... need the incentive balance right too.....

On 04/09/2023 at 22:11, chesterfield said:

Fully agree, always see a ref at bude :)