2023/24 Top 6 Predictions

8 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

1. Helson

2. Buckland

3. Bridgwater

4. Barum

5. Torpoint

6. Brixham

Baded on squad fluctuations known to date. All rather pointless until a week before the season when squad additions / shape known fully. I’ll stick my neck out and say Saltash to be halfway or below- maybe well below!!

I’d forget Bridgwater, their cuts have been pretty savage and their Chair Bob Buckingham has gone. Shepton are rebuilding. 

Barnstaple will be stronger - surprised no one really rates Falmouth but they have the Bickland effect and that will help them.  

However It’s between Helston, Buckland and Barnstaple in my eyes for the title. 

2 hours ago, Philheybrookbay said:

I’d forget Bridgwater, their cuts have been pretty savage and their Chair Bob Buckingham has gone. Shepton are rebuilding. 

Barnstaple will be stronger - surprised no one really rates Falmouth but they have the Bickland effect and that will help them.  

2 hours ago, Philheybrookbay said:

Helston clear favourites IMO. Can’t remember how the playoff works n xd season. Is it 2nd/3rd/4th & 5th or one-off game like season just finished?

2 minutes ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Helston clear favourites IMO. Can’t remember how the playoff works n xd season. Is it 2nd/3rd/4th & 5th or one-off game like season just finished?

Believe Play-Offs at all step 5 leagues next season are 2nd to 5th, but pretty sure someone involved at Bucks would clarify. I know I read it somewhere but can't remember where. 

23 hours ago, SomersetObserver said:

Still very early days but based on business so far I'm not expecting any sort of title challenge to materialise from any of the Somerset clubs.

Quite surprised by the enthusiasm of a lot of clubs to declare players retained/signed long before registrations are possible (or pre-season training has even begun!). Plenty of opportunity for egg on face of both teams and players, when they end up starting the season at a different club to that which they've been pictured holding the shirt of at the end of May. It'll happen when players are made a better offer elsewhere, but also when teams decide their 'new signing' doesn't cut the mustard in pre-season, or a better option becomes available.

I know of a few clubs who have a policy of not announcing any squad news until registrations are open, and players are actually signed (contract players are obviously different). That's to say, I'd expect there to be a few surprises from clubs quietly going about their business, rather than misleading people about "signings" or "retentions".

31 minutes ago, GWRFC said:

Quite surprised by the enthusiasm of a lot of clubs to declare players retained/signed long before registrations are possible (or pre-season training has even begun!). Plenty of opportunity for egg on face of both teams and players, when they end up starting the season at a different club to that which they've been pictured holding the shirt of at the end of May. It'll happen when players are made a better offer elsewhere, but also when teams decide their 'new signing' doesn't cut the mustard in pre-season, or a better option becomes available.

I know of a few clubs who have a policy of not announcing any squad news until registrations are open, and players are actually signed (contract players are obviously different). That's to say, I'd expect there to be a few surprises from clubs quietly going about their business, rather than misleading people about "signings" or "retentions".

I imagine it's done to deter other teams from trying to get these players

You would have to say Helston & Buckland will be up there with the money they are lashing out on Players. Have already heard at both clubs that some players are not happy due to the number of players being brought on big money with playing time a worry for many.

Dark horses for me could be St Blazey, shrewd bunch down there and looking at some of their signings, seem to have moved for the players that all caught the eye last year in their respective leagues.

Do feel that Millbrook are going to be up against it from the word go, very very limited budget and looking like the majority of last years squad are head to Kimberley, fingers crossed they can be competitive.

Think this league could be the most competitive its been in years and looking forward to watching plenty of games.

Barnstaple definitely ones to watch,especially if they keep hold of Tor Swann, Billy Tucker and Stu Bowker. But Brixham could be dark horses, a few players in their side with step 5 experience. Buckland might not have it all their own way in South Devon.

On 12/06/2023 at 11:31, Footy follower said:

I imagine it's done to deter other teams from trying to get these players

Still see plenty of occurrences though when players are "announced " with great ceremony, and never actually kick a ball for that club.

10 hours ago, teflon123 said:

You would have to say Helston & Buckland will be up there with the money they are lashing out on Players. Have already heard at both clubs that some players are not happy due to the number of players being brought on big money with playing time a worry for many.

Dark horses for me could be St Blazey, shrewd bunch down there and looking at some of their signings, seem to have moved for the players that all caught the eye last year in their respective leagues.

Do feel that Millbrook are going to be up against it from the word go, very very limited budget and looking like the majority of last years squad are head to Kimberley, fingers crossed they can be competitive.

Think this league could be the most competitive its been in years and looking forward to watching plenty of games.

Have heard Millbrook 1st team will be the majority of last years second team and the second team the majority of Torpoints U18s from last year.

2 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Barnstaple definitely ones to watch,especially if they keep hold of Tor Swann, Billy Tucker and Stu Bowker. But Brixham could be dark horses, a few players in their side with step 5 experience. Buckland might not have it all their own way in South Devon.

Still see plenty of occurrences though when players are "announced " with great ceremony, and never actually kick a ball for that club.

On what I know now, I have the Fish coming in around 5th place - dark horses with a strong prospect of giving all the more fancied sides a tough afternoon, particularly at home. I saw them a couple of times last season and they are useful. Glad someone else sees potential in them. 

Will be interesting to see how Brixham get on this year. They have been very successful over the last 2 years but this is now a different ball game being in this League and games each week will be 100% harder with travelling also twice the distance and more.

Just feel that with so many clubs on their doorstep playing in the league below and probably able to offer similar financial rewards with less travel, if they find things tough, some players might jump ship.

18 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

On what I know now, I have the Fish coming in around 5th place - dark horses with a strong prospect of giving all the more fancied sides a tough afternoon, particularly at home. I saw them a couple of times last season and they are useful. Glad someone else sees potential in them. 

I saw Brixham last year in the FA Cup at Shepton Mallet and they were dreadful. But they must be a decent side as the round before that in the FA Cup they knocked Tavistock out, they had a very good Vase run only losing to big spending Corsham on penalties & they won their league ahead of an Okehampton team with 5 Western League winners in it.

On 14/06/2023 at 05:46, teflon123 said:

Will be interesting to see how Brixham get on this year. They have been very successful over the last 2 years but this is now a different ball game being in this League and games each week will be 100% harder with travelling also twice the distance and more.

Just feel that with so many clubs on their doorstep playing in the league below and probably able to offer similar financial rewards with less travel, if they find things tough, some players might jump ship.

Do remember the Fish topped a division SWPL East that is currently far stronger than the West division. They acquitted themselves well against higher ranked teams in FA competitions too.

9 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Do remember the Fish topped a division SWPL East that is currently far stronger than the West division. They acquitted themselves well against higher ranked teams in FA competitions too.

By the nature of this forum (it is called the Cornwall Football Forum after all), the West division gets all the focus. People on here seemed slightly surprised at the way Okehampton dealt with Liskeard in the league cup final.

2 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

IIRC 7 of the last 8 in the WCP Cup were from the East. The top 6 (but esp the top 4) were good last season, but bottom half of the league in the West quite poor

Conversely, too much being read into the Oke win over the Blues. The Devonians deserved their win, but Blues shot themselves in the foot that day! 

I 100% agree. I think as a whole league east was stronger than the west last season. 
but I think the top 3-4 in west was at least on par with the best in the east. I know the Wcp last year was dominated by east. But we don’t really know what happened on the day with st Blazey but they were a very strong team. And in I believe the quarter finals a slightly under strength Liskeard team. (Who shot themselves in the foot in the final against a good okey team) beat the best team in the east Brixham. 
from the ‘Rumours’ I’m hoping this west division will be strong this yr. tho I believe okey & Ivybridge will definitely be strong in the East 

On 10/06/2023 at 23:19, Fan of all ball said:

1. Helston 

2. Bridgewater 

3. Torpoint

4. Falmouth

5. Buckland 

6. Saltash 

Ok bit of movement after last couple of weeks club/player rumours and twitter signings and a lot based on last seasons positions. Look at last seasons finishes, most teams jumped up after Tavistock and Exmouth were promoted 

1. Helston  (manager has trophies to his name, improved squad)

2. Bridgewater (lost top scorer but seem to have replaced well according to this forum) 

3. Barnstaple (forgot about them 1st time round 🙀

4. Torpoint (strengthened in lots of areas, ok Damerall a lose but added goals from more players and a really good keeper) 

5. Buckland (decent signings)

6. Falmouth (Nixon a loss) 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think Barnstaple are building a tidy little squad. Certainly see them not far from the top. 
Id imagine Helston will win the league. If push comes to shove they certainly have the finances to bring in a player or two with say 10 games to go to get them over the line. Buckland will be right up there too if they keep Josh Grant and Jared Lewington fit.

On 11/06/2023 at 09:38, Philheybrookbay said:

Seen a lot of Bridgwater in pre-season beating Bideford,Tavistock,manor farm and Frome all from step 4 and was very impressed they have retained all there squad from last season except one and brought in some excellent new signings that looked good. Yes it’s pre season but I’d be surprised if they were not right up there pushing for top honours at the end of the season 

Agree with the above, Bridgwater have nothing but impressed me during the pre-season.

Seen them twice and thought they were organised from the get go and looked to have a clear plan in the way they wanted to play which was good enough to beat teams from a higher level.

Watched Helston once and they were solid which was to be expected and also watched Buckland against Newton Spurs and surprisingly they were torn apart by a team a league below so not sure what the season holds for them having tipped them several weeks ago to be contenders.

Torpoint seem to have an attack which will bring them goals so they could be a surprise package.

Looking forward to getting a good fix of football in during the next few weeks and good luck to all.

21 hours ago, Tavi Fan said:

I think Barnstaple are building a tidy little squad. Certainly see them not far from the top. 
Id imagine Helston will win the league. If push comes to shove they certainly have the finances to bring in a player or two with say 10 games to go to get them over the line. Buckland will be right up there too if they keep Josh Grant and Jared Lewington fit.

Josh and Jarred both out injured !!

On 28/07/2023 at 12:48, rocky170267 said:

Josh and Jarred both out injured !!

Both played in the Buckland openers. 

I know they drew Tuesday but I was massively impressed with Barnstaple last season. They seem to have kept the majority and players like Scott Laird will only make them a stronger unit. It's great to see a few ex pro's at this level.