Cornwall Football Forum

23/24 top 6 opinion

Last i heard Newquay havnt got a goalie yet and where arethe goals going to come from Louis PRICE will get his share but still need a proper Centre forward someone like Jaffa Rowe who will get you 20 goals a season . Looking forward to pre season starts this friday for me at Wadebridge then severel trips to Bodmin for various matches Cant wait

On 26/06/2023 at 20:52, 100%cornish said:

Last i heard Newquay havnt got a goalie yet and where arethe goals going to come from Louis PRICE will get his share but still need a proper Centre forward someone like Jaffa Rowe who will get you 20 goals a season . Looking forward to pre season starts this friday for me at Wadebridge then severel trips to Bodmin for various matches Cant wait

When new goalie announced you be happy. Striker and midfield from mousehole good chance coming to. Fink lot of people be surprised. 

The 2 Mousehole lads NEWQUAY signed where Louis Price and Harry Downing 2 quality signings to go with the returning Ross Fallens im dying to find out who Newquays goalie is i would love it to be RyAN Barnes but no doubt it will be some unknown Harry Ashton will be a hard act to follow he was a brilliant goalie going to miss him at Newquay and our chats .Wish him well and all the other Newquay players that have left for Pastures new 

14 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

The 2 Mousehole lads NEWQUAY signed where Louis Price and Harry Downing 2 quality signings to go with the returning Ross Fallens im dying to find out who Newquays goalie is i would love it to be RyAN Barnes but no doubt it will be some unknown Harry Ashton will be a hard act to follow he was a brilliant goalie going to miss him at Newquay and our chats .Wish him well and all the other Newquay players that have left for Pastures new 

I would say Ryan Barnes is a good shout 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, justanopinion said:

Good shout for top 4 and possibly top 6. Just the order will be interesting. Bude will do very well to top the others.

They’ve signed 4 good players this season who have all played higher and southern league level can see them being a surprise package 

14 hours ago, justanopinion said:

That's good news. I hope the club have also invested in the facilities and playing surface! Especially if aiming for Western League.

the moneys heavily invested in player wages instead of sorting the cow pat out, good luck to them this season 💰 

The new Newquay goalie is Adam Rowbathan ex G and Liskeard Reserves ,and i can claim to of reccomended him to Newquay so i want a cut of his win bonuses and a years supply of Bitter Shandy in the clubhouse .Adam  has always had the presence and command his area well i will see how good he is on Saturday vsCheddar that is after i have squeezed in  2 more friendlies possibly at Sticker to see the young Plymouth Argyle team and definitly Bodmin on Friday vs Falmouth and that will be the end of my pre season friendlies for another year love them and not often you see the brilliant football of Huddersfield but Tavistock are the team i have enjoyed they will win the league for sure saw 1 of the best goals i have seen scored on Saturday vs Blazey Prynn backhealed the ball and the sub no 14 unleashed a rocket shot that Shaun just looked at and admired it hell of a goal but dont know who scored it he was a sub 

1 hour ago, 100%cornish said:

The new Newquay goalie is Adam Rowbathan ex G and Liskeard Reserves ,and i can claim to of reccomended him to Newquay so i want a cut of his win bonuses and a years supply of Bitter Shandy in the clubhouse .Adam  has always had the presence and command his area well i will see how good he is on Saturday vsCheddar that is after i have squeezed in  2 more friendlies possibly at Sticker to see the young Plymouth Argyle team and definitly Bodmin on Friday vs Falmouth and that will be the end of my pre season friendlies for another year love them and not often you see the brilliant football of Huddersfield but Tavistock are the team i have enjoyed they will win the league for sure saw 1 of the best goals i have seen scored on Saturday vs Blazey Prynn backhealed the ball and the sub no 14 unleashed a rocket shot that Shaun just looked at and admired it hell of a goal but dont know who scored it he was a sub 

No offence to Tavi, a club that has done incredibly well to get to this position and become a force at step 4 level, but a few pre season friendly wins against SWPL opposition probably won't count for much once the league gets underway.  Southern League Division 1 is a very different proposition. 

2 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Drew 0-0 with Huddersfield so cant be to bad and Liskeard lost 13-1 to Huddersfield 

Just saying that as a guide to the season ahead, (for many reasons) it's debatable how useful PSF's are. Tavi are a good side (finished on the fringes of the play offs last season), but the Southern League Div 1 is a completely different proposition. 

5 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Drew 0-0 with Huddersfield so cant be to bad and Liskeard lost 13-1 to Huddersfield 

I have it on good authority from somebody at the Tavistock game with Warnocks lot that Huddersfield fluffed a couple of dozen open-net sitters... and didn't Liskeard put a weakened side out 2nd half due to all their World Cup call ups?

ok been off here most of the summer but here goes with my opinion of the forthcoming season, i feel it will be a more open league this year ,not as strong, there has been a lot of social media hype, by some clubs ,signing average players and journeyman players, and then other clubs not saying anything and playing their preseason games and doing well, i have based my top 6 on last years standing, player movement , and a couple pre season games i have seen so here goes

Wendron

Liskeard

Newquay

Bude

Wadebridge

Callington  ( dark horses this year)

36 minutes ago, tamar.man said:

ok been off here most of the summer but here goes with my opinion of the forthcoming season, i feel it will be a more open league this year ,not as strong, there has been a lot of social media hype, by some clubs ,signing average players and journeyman players, and then other clubs not saying anything and playing their preseason games and doing well, i have based my top 6 on last years standing, player movement , and a couple pre season games i have seen so here goes

Wendron

Liskeard

Newquay

Bude

Wadebridge

Callington  ( dark horses this year)

Callington dark horses? 😂 not sure how you’ve worked that one out rumour has it half the gunnislake team who finished 3rd in st pirans last year have gone there. The sides in who pay out the most this year will be top 6 that’s how it works right? Paying top quality players ridiculous amounts of money for swpl success…

But then again I’ve just seen callington drew 1-1 with St Blazey last night who are now western league, if that’s anything to go buy can see blazey struggling big time in that league if they can’t even beat callington. Seems they’ve lost any little bit of quality they had last year 🤔

18 minutes ago, Grassrootsgary said:

Callington dark horses? 😂 not sure how you’ve worked that one out rumour has it half the gunnislake team who finished 3rd in st pirans last year have gone there. The sides in who pay out the most this year will be top 6 that’s how it works right? Paying top quality players ridiculous amounts of money for swpl success…

But then again I’ve just seen callington drew 1-1 with St Blazey last night who are now western league, if that’s anything to go buy can see blazey struggling big time in that league if they can’t even beat callington. Seems they’ve lost any little bit of quality they had last year 🤔

teams who splash out stupid money for average players you mean ,that is up to them, but does not  win you anything, as for Callington , i felt like putting in  a dark horse ,they gave torpoint a good game and as you say st blazey, so why  not aye, in all honesty i hope a team wins the league that  has spent next to nothing ! as for top six , who really knows we can all have a guess, that  is what this thread is..

• 2 weeks later...

1. Wendron United

2. Liskeard AFC

3. Wadebridge Town

4. St Austell

5. Bude Town

6. Newquay AFC

I think the top 3 will remain the same and in the same order for the forthcoming season, sure it'll be a proper battle between Liskeard and Wendron. Liskeard have certainly recruited well but Mike has the continuity at Wendron (excellent how he manages to hold onto his players year in/year out). Wadebridge will be as tough as ever this season under Rower.

It's that next group I can't quite put my finger on... Bude losing Piper will be a miss but they seem to have the pull in that area for players. Newquay, St Austell, Bodmin, Callington have all had a lot of change in the summer whilst Dobwalls have the majority of the SW signed for them this year. Launceston will be much higher this year but top 6 may be a little too far this early in their transition. Hopefully it'll be another competitive season :)