Bridgwater United   v   Torpoint Athletic

Buckland Athletic   v   Clevedon Town

Falmouth Town   v   Millbrook

Helston Athletic   v   Ilfracombe Town

Mousehole   v   Ashton & Backwell United

Shepton Mallet   v   Saltash United

Wellington   v   Cadbury Heath

Shepton Mallet 1 Saltash United 1

Really saw the metal of the lads today in a tough bruising encounter. With Jordan Duffy, Harrison Davis and Callum Watson coming off with injuries  it gives some idea of the game. 

Game ended with 15 mins injury time added on. 

Great club Shepton Mallet and good to chat at some length to John Pool Western League Chair and Malcolm Prance vice chair about all things restructuring although no real news forthcoming. 

Barnstaple Town     2 - 1    Street
Bridgwater United  2 - 1    Torpoint Athletic 
Buckland Athletic   5 - 1    Clevedon Town 
Falmouth Town      0 - 2    Millbrook
Helston Athletic     4 - 1     Ilfracombe Town    
Mousehole             3 - 0    Ashton & Backwell United
Shepton Mallet      1 - 1     Saltash United    
Wellington              2 - 1     Cadbury Heath

(Taken from the Toolstation League site)

35 minutes ago, Drumming Nutter said:

Its remarkably quiet from the Falmouth contingent on here.

Is that now 4 games without troubling the net ??

Temporary blip or a deficit in the squad ?

Genuinely interested to hear opinions :D 

From listening to Andy Westgarth on the CS Podcast (recorded immediately after the home defeat to Saltash), it sounded like he had a seriously depleted squad due to player unavailability in school half term week (and didn't sound best pleased about it). Would guess that this carried on into the Millbrook game. 

4 games, 4 losses, 0 goals scored is quite a crash in form though (regardless of playing strength), especially after the previous run of 6 wins in 6 league games they were on.

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

From listening to Andy Westgarth on the CS Podcast (recorded immediately after the home defeat to Saltash), it sounded like he had a seriously depleted squad due to player unavailability in school half term week (and didn't sound best pleased about it). Would guess that this carried on into the Millbrook game. 

4 games, 4 losses, 0 goals scored is quite a crash in form though (regardless of playing strength), especially after the previous run of 6 wins in 6 league games they were on.

I concur, just goes to show football is a funny old game, that's why I can never predict scores with any degree of accuracy 👍  

2 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Injuries and half term unavailability's due to holiday period has made it a very difficult period with 4 losses on the bounce however the spirit in the camp is unbreakable and we will bounce back soon. Really looking forward to our Les Philips cup tie with Helston tomorrow evening, what a match to get things back on track. UTT

On 20/02/2023 at 13:42, Drumming Nutter said:

Its remarkably quiet from the Falmouth contingent on here.

Is that now 4 games without troubling the net ??

Temporary blip or a deficit in the squad ?

Genuinely interested to hear opinions :D 

Evolution not revolution for Falmouth this season as always. It has served them well during the last 6 or 7 seasons as performance levels have steadily increased. Would count this year as a further improvement in holding their own in a higher league.

Ground improvements to do in the close season followed by a concerted effort to recruit some more players of quality for the next campaign.

No point in panicking and throwing the money around trying to match other Cornish clubs this season. 

Let's hope the Town can upset the form book tonight in their fifth meeting of the season with Helston. Never know with cup football and the vocal support of the F-Troop!

14 hours ago, The Town Man said:

Evolution not revolution for Falmouth this season as always. It has served them well during the last 6 or 7 seasons as performance levels have steadily increased. Would count this year as a further improvement in holding their own in a higher league.

Ground improvements to do in the close season followed by a concerted effort to recruit some more players of quality for the next campaign.

No point in panicking and throwing the money around trying to match other Cornish clubs this season. 

Let's hope the Town can upset the form book tonight in their fifth meeting of the season with Helston. Never know with cup football and the vocal support of the F-Troop!

Probably clear that the squad needs strengthening over the summer, but hope that the younger players (who will be all the better for a season of Western League football) are allowed to develop further. Will be an interesting summer with one more Cornish club looking to recruit step 5 ready players to make recruitment more dfficult, and some players at a club that makes the move to step 4 (Mousehole or Saltash) possibly opting to remain at this level with other teams. 

Looking on from afar, and with no skin in the game, does look like Falmouth need a big name focal point in attack to replace JBE, and become new cult hero for the F-Troop to get behind. Names that spring to mind, all reasonably local and proven at this level would be Mark Goldsworthy(possibly a fringe player at Mousehole when everybody is available), Matt Buchan (not got going at Tiverton, currently on loan at perennial strugglers Bideford) and, a real long shot, Liam Prynn (if he can be prised away from Tavistock).

28 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Names that spring to mind, all reasonably local and proven at this level would be Mark Goldsworthy(possibly a fringe player at Mousehole when everybody is available)

Mark G returned from injury in mid-September. He was on the bench for his first two games back (coming on as a sub both times) since when he has been a starter in every game except one (in which he came on as a sub). Suspect he’d take unkindly to being referred to as a “fringe player” 😉 

28 minutes ago, GaryHocking said:

Mark G returned from injury in mid-September. He was on the bench for his first two games back (coming on as a sub both times) since when he has been a starter in every game except one (in which he came on as a sub). Suspect he’d take unkindly to being referred to as a “fringe player” 😉 

Classic football agent tactics. Attempting to unsettle a quality player before engineering a high profile move. 😀

2 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Names that spring to mind, all reasonably local and proven at this level would be Mark Goldsworthy(possibly a fringe player at Mousehole when everybody is available), Matt Buchan (not got going at Tiverton, currently on loan at perennial strugglers Bideford) and, a real long shot, Liam Prynn (if he can be prised away from Tavistock).

Goldy is the 1st name on the team-sheet when fit and available ...have no fear, hands off 😉

On 22/02/2023 at 12:06, The Town Man said:

Hands off?? People in glass houses....... JBE!!!

I know i'm biased but playing at Bickland Park in front of the biggest crowds in the Western League with the F-Troops unrivalled support would make me crawl over broken glass to be there.  Especially if i was a striker. I guess every player has his own agenda whether it be money, GPS vests or whatever. Our youngsters are developing nicely at Western league level and if we need strengthening in the summer the Westy will act. All i know is in the last 5 years Falmouth Town are Cornwalls most successful football club and historically no club can match our trophies. UTMT.

On 22/02/2023 at 09:35, Way Of The Park said:

Probably clear that the squad needs strengthening over the summer, but hope that the younger players (who will be all the better for a season of Western League football) are allowed to develop further. Will be an interesting summer with one more Cornish club looking to recruit step 5 ready players to make recruitment more dfficult, and some players at a club that makes the move to step 4 (Mousehole or Saltash) possibly opting to remain at this level with other teams. 

Looking on from afar, and with no skin in the game, does look like Falmouth need a big name focal point in attack to replace JBE, and become new cult hero for the F-Troop to get behind. Names that spring to mind, all reasonably local and proven at this level would be Mark Goldsworthy(possibly a fringe player at Mousehole when everybody is available), Matt Buchan (not got going at Tiverton, currently on loan at perennial strugglers Bideford) and, a real long shot, Liam Prynn (if he can be prised away from Tavistock).

Hands of Liam Prynn! Hopefully he’d not be interested in playing football in a lower league! There’s been enough upheaval at Tavi of late. Stability and Prynn needed there.

Not sure I agree with the characterisation of Goldsworthy as a ‘fringe’ player at Mousehole. He is still a first class striker.

Here’s a novel idea - Westgarth always touted as a top coach - let him redevelop the Fal Tn side by making what he already has, especially the younger players, better than they are now!

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS - Saturday 18/02/23
On 25/02/2023 at 18:55, le boss said:

But surely playing infront of that crowd is better than playing regularly for the best team in the league on a great surface? Whatever are you thinking Goldie?? X

Goldie played for Helston, crap ground, crap surface, no fans and never won an egg cup so anything is a step up for him.

Ground is improving at Helston to be fair. Excellent manager. Good cafe. If down west I’d prefer the charms of Bickland Park every time though! 

I’m enjoying my cross Tamar mix of Tavistock for Southern League Football and Liskeard for the sexiest football (on top form) in the SWPL though! And, Lux Park just feels comfortable in a kind of rustic kind of way!!

18 hours ago, Blues10 said:

Come on Jeff you’re better than that, ask Westy about the league title we won playing up top together!

My apologies to you Mark. Just like putting one or 2 on here back in their box. Its all part of the fun. As a supporter of Cornwalls biggest, best supported and most successful football club I am armed with loads of bullets to fire. So now and again i just go.... Pop pop lol ;);) ... UTMT