Cornwall Football Forum

Merger Of The Leagues

1 hour ago, RAPPO said:

Thinks the plans are in place Ralph, in the East and the West. Probably hear more from Steve C or Dave Zebedee on here before the end of the season. Exciting times in all leagues from top to bottom in Devon and Cornwall for the start of next season mate 👍

Thanks @RAPPO wasn't sure on the structure etc so was just curious. About time something changed mate.

3 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

What would you like Ralph?

Me Personally...

I think the standard isn't the same, Yes I get time evolve players move on etc. 

- Maybe a tighter structure of leagues? 

- Teams have folded a lot this year Deacs, Easy to just be voted in again, maybe some kind of constitution of rules, when voted in we look at where teams are based, where they are coming from or folded from? Managers of such teams, looked at and sort of vetted so it isn't a reoccurrence of just folding and signing another side into a league.

- I don't know how drastic the change is going to be but maybe look at sifting and sorting the numbers etc?

- Possible, Cut down of number of leagues, and actually set the format up of each division, to where its competitive all year round. 

- Its horrible to receive emails from fellow club officials saying they are on the verge of folding.

All probably points that have been looked at etc, but I probably also repeat myself, over the seasons, and say that the old mining/fal helston league format was so competitive, but I haven't delved into the facts and the ways it was done, so my ignorance maybe my downfall.

The proposed one player one club will cause clubs to fold IMO. We all rely on borrowed players from time to time, often from lower leagues rather than “ringers”. With the general decline in interest and commitment from players, if teams can’t rope others in and don’t have a reserve side, games will be off every week. A “ringer rule” would be far safer for clubs. 

1 minute ago, MattP said:

The proposed one player one club will cause clubs to fold IMO. We all rely on borrowed players from time to time, often from lower leagues rather than “ringers”. With the general decline in interest and commitment from players, if teams can’t rope others in and don’t have a reserve side, games will be off every week. A “ringer rule” would be far safer for clubs. 

I agree Matt P, My view is clubs folding one season and reappearing 

There does seem to be a recurrence of teams folding first teams and hopefully getting second team promoted back up. Sometimes in the case of Perranporth it bites you on the bum. Not a criticism of any club because they are trying to survive. Looking at the 3 clubs applying from Combo they have all had recent struggles but have survived. Even the likes of Penryn,Porthleven and hayle are fighting to keep going. And they all have excellent facilities that most clubs in Cornwall would die for. 

Our sport at grassroots level is struggling and ironically the Premier league has half the wealthiest clubs in the top 20 in the world.

1 hour ago, Postman Pat said:

There does seem to be a recurrence of teams folding first teams and hopefully getting second team promoted back up. Sometimes in the case of Perranporth it bites you on the bum. Not a criticism of any club because they are trying to survive. Looking at the 3 clubs applying from Combo they have all had recent struggles but have survived. Even the likes of Penryn,Porthleven and hayle are fighting to keep going. And they all have excellent facilities that most clubs in Cornwall would die for. 

Our sport at grassroots level is struggling and ironically the Premier league has half the wealthiest clubs in the top 20 in the world.

Reading your last paragraph, Asterix, I see an emblem of out political condition ! The country and the game are controlled by plutocrats for plutocrats. Enormous suffering at grassroots level, in football and in life. Complete, restructuring upheaval urgently needed. It just requires the right spark; let's make it happen !

Are club trying to encourage new players to join them. I'm not talking about players from other clubs I'm talking about brand new players that have never played before. It will be hard to remain competitiv but at least you can field 16 every week. No club should rely on players from other clubs to survive. Imagine if hospitals done that with doctors, schools done that with teachers etc (or are these players essentially the 'agency' players)

Players will still be able to transfer between clubs as club secretaries already know through the initial discussions… so player movement as a right remains…. But I would definitely suggest a local league rule that would prevent a “return” transfer for a 14-day period to prevent this being abused across the divisions. League needs to help promote player loyalty, club sustainability and establish a base to build a 21st century model of grassroots sport here in the county

16 hours ago, MattP said:

I’ve heard it’s going to be a maximum 2 club per player rule? 1 club would be very difficult indeed and certainly clubs/teams will disappear. Hopefully the number of teams in each league is enough fixtures for players to not feel the need for 3+ Registrations. That’s one issue I think. 18 league games at the moment in some divisions is too few and infrequent.

9 hours ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

I’ve heard it’s going to be a maximum 2 club per player rule? 1 club would be very difficult indeed and certainly clubs/teams will disappear. Hopefully the number of teams in each league is enough fixtures for players to not feel the need for 3+ Registrations. That’s one issue I think. 18 league games at the moment in some divisions is too few and infrequent.

Hopefully that’s correct - otherwise the smaller, one team clubs could fall by the wayside in favour of those with 2 or more teams, ladies, youth, vets, walking football etc 

I’d like to see the fixtures done better at level 6/7.

I was chatting to a St Pirans player this week who said his club have only been fixtured and played on a Saturday only  7 times this season. His club has played more midweek games than Saturdays. They all want to play Saturdays not have to leave work early and play midweek. As a result players are signing for other clubs in lower leagues to help out but mainly because they want to play a match on every SATURDAY not once a month on a Saturday. 

58 minutes ago, MattP said:

Clubs struggle for players now. Without being able to “borrow” players I worry we will see carnage. This needs some serious thought. 

Borrowing players is not sustainable though.from what I can gather This move is designed to make cornish football more sustainable. We may well see a few teams fold but once it settles I bet that Cornish football will thrive again

The occasional borrowing a player happens right through the leagues just look at the recent criticism Liskeard have got, every club does it at some point.

I believe if we prevent this more smaller clubs will fold and to be honest not all of those players will go elsewhere and will decide to stop altogether resulting in even further demise of local grassroots football. Not every club aspires to be the next Torpoint with 4 teams.

To me this ruling will only propser the big clubs and kill local football

Gone are the days when a village or small town football club can rely on every player who lives there playing for them. I agree that bigger clubs, with more than one team, have a better chance of survival - mainly because they have a larger band of people working behind the scene. We're talking about Recreational Football - where there will always be the opportunity for people to play the game we all love. It cannot be just about climbing the Leagues, it's about providing those opportunities, managing the squad, so that the same players are not subs every week, enjoying social times together, creating unity and a sense of being valued by the Club. To me, that's a better format than relying on borrowed players.

On 25/01/2023 at 06:58, BrummyBarry said:

Are club trying to encourage new players to join them. I'm not talking about players from other clubs I'm talking about brand new players that have never played before. It will be hard to remain competitiv but at least you can field 16 every week. No club should rely on players from other clubs to survive. Imagine if hospitals done that with doctors, schools done that with teachers etc (or are these players essentially the 'agency' players)

Barry, so many hospitals and schools are dependent on agency nurses and doctors or supply teachers that the analogy doesn't support your argument ! I agree, nevertheless.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One thing that would be good about the "one player one club rule". Would be that any player owing monies or has club kit, couldn't just disappear and sign to another club. They would have to go through a transfer to another club. This would allow the club  the chance to get what's owed back if they chose too. 

12 minutes ago, Boxy said:

One thing that would be good about the "one player one club rule". Would be that any player owing monies or has club kit, couldn't just disappear and sign to another club. They would have to go through a transfer to another club. This would allow the club  the chance to get what's owed back if they chose too. 

even though it’s a different league shouldn’t a club still put in seven days?

15 minutes ago, Boxy said:

This already exists mate. The rule is very vague and ambiguous but you can put the blockers on a player moving if they owe money, attire, etc if you involved the league reg sec and the CCFA with enough time and info.

2 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

even though it’s a different league shouldn’t a club still put in seven days?

Yes!