Cornwall Football Forum

VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS: HELSTON ATHLETIC V BRIDPORT

Piran

For the second week running, owing to the absence of a commentator, Steve Massey was alongside me, this week up on the gantry. Here are my highlights and, before anyone says anything, the colours is not as good as usual: condensation got  behind the lens owing to the atmospheric conditions. We also have some behind the scenes footage at the start

https://youtu.be/0d2CeeY30AM

My Post-310.jpg

Just now, The Observer__ said:

Steve is correct when he says they were lucky it was only Bridport. Helston looking one dimensional and Stu being substituted  after another game on the wing didn’t look impressed 

Bringing  Matt wright in was  always going to mean veil or stu we’re going to be one’s moved around.
I still don’t know what he really brings you  he not going to move around much  . Better with bowker up there 

and I know he scored a header near the end but this was against a team millbrook put 12 past and Saltash 9.  

Good to see that Orlando starting and scoring another 2, lads finding some good form and getting his rewards... But can someone explain to me the  one white sleeve he wears 🤣 I've noticed it on the last few games now. 

Good 6 nil win, can always say yeah other teams put more past them but the conditions looked awful to play in.

53 minutes ago, ian beale said:

Bowker looked fuming coming off and you can understand it. Top goal scorer getting put out wide and for a new striker, probably the only position they didn’t need to strengthen. 

Totally agree.  Love him or hate him he was their talisman, can’t understand why they are messing him around 

On 13/02/2022 at 09:24, sportsman10 said:

Decent highlights Steve seemed  lot more reserved in his comments this week 😂

tough conditions and didn’t look the greatest game from helston  you ever seen. Even Steve Massey said it was good job it was only bridport. 

Thanks. Perhaps I exerted more editorial control after last week's video. The conditions were awful for the players and for us up in the gantry.

On 13/02/2022 at 09:38, sportsman10 said:

Bringing  Matt wright in was  always going to mean veil or stu we’re going to be one’s moved around.
I still don’t know what he really brings you  he not going to move around much  . Better with bowker up there 

and I know he scored a header near the end but this was against a team millbrook put 12 past and Saltash 9.  

Helston have been at times a bit threadbare and lacked strength in depth and competition for places. I personally feel that the signings of Mike Searle, Jordan Bentley and Matty Wright was called for after losing 4 games on the bounce. They are experienced players who have played at a higher level and still have a lot to offer at this level. There is now a better mixture of youth and experience for Steve to call upon.

On 13/02/2022 at 10:04, Southwest football fan said:

Good to see that Orlando starting and scoring another 2, lads finding some good form and getting his rewards... But can someone explain to me the  one white sleeve he wears 🤣 I've noticed it on the last few games now. 

Good 6 nil win, can always say yeah other teams put more past them but the conditions looked awful to play in.

You will have seen Steve Massey speaking with Orlando before the game began and Orlando's response on the pitch. No idea about the white sleeve I'm afraid.

On 13/02/2022 at 13:29, Footy follower said:

Watching the highlights.. And I understand it doesn't show the full game... But again Bowker looked fully involved in most of the good things that happened. So his substitution must've been because he was still in an offside position once 🙄

You are right, my highlights don't show the full game. There was probably a case for giving the youngsters a chance in the second half - after the game was won - to go out and prove themselves in  front of goal and boost their confidence. A number of them had been on the bench without getting much game time  for many hours all told prior to this game. All credit to them and I'm glad their got their first goals in the Western League.

On 13/02/2022 at 11:26, The Observer__ said:

Totally agree.  Love him or hate him he was their talisman, can’t understand why they are messing him around 

Even at Step 5, football is a squad game.

1 hour ago, Piran said:

Thanks. Perhaps I exerted more editorial control after last week's video. The conditions were awful for the players and for us up in the gantry.

Helston have been at times a bit threadbare and lacked strength in depth and competition for places. I personally feel that the signings of Mike Searle, Jordan Bentley and Matty Wright was called for after losing 4 games on the bounce. They are experienced players who have played at a higher level and still have a lot to offer at this level. There is now a better mixture of youth and experience for Steve to call upon.

You will have seen Steve Massey speaking with Orlando before the game began and Orlando's response on the pitch. No idea about the white sleeve I'm afraid.

Fair point but if Steve is now next to you doing commentary who is making the in game decisions to bring these young players on yet still leave the oldest ones on  ?
and I’m not sure the players  we’re quite the correct people to bring in you already had a guy that was your top scorer who you effectively shunted off to the wing  a better option would have a been a different type of striker to play of bowker 

anyway still good to see the highlights very well done in difficult conditions fair play to you  

4 hours ago, Piran said:

You are right, my highlights don't show the full game. There was probably a case for giving the youngsters a chance in the second half - after the game was won - to go out and prove themselves in  front of goal and boost their confidence. A number of them had been on the bench without getting much game time  for many hours all told prior to this game. All credit to them and I'm glad their got their first goals in the Western League.

Even at Step 5, football is a squad game.

Yep.. That's a fair point 😁

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

Wonder who on earth thought that having Steve Massey providing commentary was a good idea (probably Mr Massey).

It was, at times, like listening to somebody who keeps talking after accidentally dialling your number, and not realising you can hear them.

The thing is he seems to enjoy that more then actually managing the team. Almost like this is his way of passing  on the mangers duties to Leigh . Would imagine that long term plan. 

8 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Wonder who on earth thought that having Steve Massey providing commentary was a good idea (probably Mr Massey).

It was, at times, like listening to somebody who keeps talking after accidentally dialling your number, and not realising you can hear them.

My idea totally. Steve has stepped in because I couldn’t find a commentator for love or money.

7 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

The thing is he seems to enjoy that more then actually managing the team. Almost like this is his way of passing  on the mangers duties to Leigh . 

Have a listen to Steve’s post Millbrook interview with Gareth Davies

19 hours ago, Piran said:

You would think so, but I tried 6 different commentators and, before you ask, I don't have one for the trip to Cadbury Heath either. Mind you looking at the weather 

Should have asked Le Boss .He's always got a lot to say .And would probably have done it for nothing . 🤔 

That's the blue touch paper lit .😁🤣😂

On 16/02/2022 at 12:43, Piran said:

You would think so, but I tried 6 different commentators and, before you ask, I don't have one for the trip to Cadbury Heath either. Mind you looking at the weather forecast .....

Strange. Plenty of expert commentators on this forum. (Yes, me included)