Cornwall Football Forum

1 hour ago, Paul said:

This time last year. What a difference 12 months on. Certainly alot more rain this year. That's the frustrating part about this time of year. Sometimes its perfectly playable. Others years you can even cut it. 

20210202_090820.jpg

20210202_090802.jpg

Looking good there Paul (last year)...have you managed to cut and roll or slit it yet(?)

Interesting to notice this today.

The area that I put the slow release fertiliser on is showing better than the area next to it.

I'm impressed that but still wont be using it methinks,  I do not like the initial flush with the urea nitrogen at 46%...not necessary in my opinion.

May look at other types to see what they use.

I'm already planning to use national growmore at 7.7.7 which I've always liked, and with a bit of bone in it, it does seem to last a good time. 

20210203_134216.jpg

2 hours ago, Paul said:

Finally got on the pitch today. Still to soft to cut but i did fork the goalmouth and drop some seed down with a touch of fertiliser just to see what results i get over the next month. If nothing happens so be it but if we get some grass growing we could start seeing some improvements. Watch this space. 

Optimistic on the seed buddy, did you take the ground temperature (?)

If it germinates it will take a while with the temperature forecast to fall. 

1 hour ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Optimistic on the seed buddy, did you take the ground temperature (?)

If it germinates it will take a while with the temperature forecast to fall. 

No i didnt. Just a quick job as a experiment to see if anything does grow in the next month. Not expecting amazing results but if we get anything going its a start. Not much rain forcast after tomorrow so maybe a quick cut on Saturday. 

8 hours ago, Paul said:

No i didnt. Just a quick job as a experiment to see if anything does grow in the next month. Not expecting amazing results but if we get anything going its a start. Not much rain forcast after tomorrow so maybe a quick cut on Saturday. 

Would be interesting to see what temperature you have there compared to here, we were 8⁰ the end of last week and the grass starting to move now.

3 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Would be interesting to see what temperature you have there compared to here, we were 8⁰ the end of last week and the grass starting to move now.

The kids have been visiting Penlee Park quite regularly during lockdown and succeeded in wrecking the far end goalmouth and penalty spot! Thankfully, there's now a new fence in place to prevent what was easy access. I aerated and seeded the bare areas last Friday and it's now covered with a 4 x 12 metre germination mat - which will hopefully increase the soil temperature enough to work. Thankfully, frost is rarely a problem this far west, so I'm mildly optimistic!

2 hours ago, John Mead said:

The kids have been visiting Penlee Park quite regularly during lockdown and succeeded in wrecking the far end goalmouth and penalty spot! Thankfully, there's now a new fence in place to prevent what was easy access. I aerated and seeded the bare areas last Friday and it's now covered with a 4 x 12 metre germination mat - which will hopefully increase the soil temperature enough to work. Thankfully, frost is rarely a problem this far west, so I'm mildly optimistic!

Nice one John, still need a bit of sun to warm up the ground though.

The mat will help to hold the warmth in the ground. 

We’ve had wetter years, and we’ve had colder years.

The good year for moss, is, I suspect mainly down to lack of play on pitches. Moss is very much an opportunist and will colonise any undisturbed area or surface.

If it were a normal playing season, it almost certainly would not have been an issue. It’s also no fault of the groundsman, and no mistakes have been made. It will get out grown when the grass gets going. Those of you that can spray, a solution of ferris sulphate (sulphate of iron) will check it nicely. For those unable to spray a few bags of lawn sand will do the trick, apply on a dewy morning. KEEP OFF until rain. Lawn sand also contains N so will feed a little as well, best applied with a spreader, but can be done by hand, with a little skill.

3 hours ago, Mrgreen said:

We’ve had wetter years, and we’ve had colder years.

The good year for moss, is, I suspect mainly down to lack of play on pitches. Moss is very much an opportunist and will colonise any undisturbed area or surface.

If it were a normal playing season, it almost certainly would not have been an issue. It’s also no fault of the groundsman, and no mistakes have been made. It will get out grown when the grass gets going. Those of you that can spray, a solution of ferris sulphate (sulphate of iron) will check it nicely. For those unable to spray a few bags of lawn sand will do the trick, apply on a dewy morning. KEEP OFF until rain. Lawn sand also contains N so will feed a little as well, best applied with a spreader, but can be done by hand, with a little skill.

What the hell do you mean “no fault of the groundsman”? IT ISALWAYS THE GROUNDSMANS FAULT!
It has been my mantra for years “If in doubt blame the groundsman”. They can read/watch the weather forecast, so take precautions, be proactive! You know there are going to divots, so hire a bunch of tiny children to replace them, on their day off from chimney sweeping, 3d an hour, everyone’s happy!

7 minutes ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

What the hell do you mean “no fault of the groundsman”? IT ISALWAYS THE GROUNDSMANS FAULT!
It has been my mantra for years “If in doubt blame the groundsman”. They can read/watch the weather forecast, so take precautions, be proactive! You know there are going to divots, so hire a bunch of tiny children to replace them, on their day off from chimney sweeping, 3d an hour, everyone’s happy!

Been on the vino Bruegel (?)

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Thanks to the St Austell Voice for a nice ariel shot they took before our last match, the 0v0 draw with Saltash. They put it in last weeks addition. Be nice to get back to getting something done soon. Not going to be this week thats for sure 

20210207_223414.jpg

That's cracking presentation there buddy.

Nothing on the pitch this week(?)

I'm planning tomorrow or Tuesday for a light cut and roll/slit to put some air into it.

I'm  itching to give it a bloody good raking as well to break up the moss and thatch that's appeared with this weather.

3 minutes ago, Paul said:

Cheers mate. 

No working all week. Thursday off but weather isnt looking great. Another week left wont hurt to much. The grass is growing but nothing much. With the cold this week that will slow up. Got to be some good dry days soon surly. 

Unlucky work gets in the way, fortunately I'm retired so time is free for me.

Dried up here enough to get on the pitch at last, but as you say the little bit of a flush has stopped  for now but grew enough for a nip off at 45mm this time of year.

57 minutes ago, Paul said:

Thats looking very good Older. Maybe the advice of leave alone and do nothing until the weather improves has been proved right.

Definitely buddy, sometimes doing nothing is the right option. 

With the weather we've had I don't think there would have been much football anyway.

The rest has been good for the grass for sure. 

Divoting next up for me and then give the grass a good raking/scarifying to relieve the moss and a bit of thatch build up. 

47 minutes ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Yes Older, but don’t you feel you have earned your decrepitude? I should still be pristine since I never start!

Earned it alright, in this weather I feel every bone I broke, every cut  I had stitched and every injury I had at work and play.

My father warned me but never listened...do it again...absolutely...lol.

11 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Well the weather done for me again today, snow, hail and sleet with a bitch of an Easterly right in your face.

No divoting again today. I dont think I will ever finish the repairs from boxing day!

Have you thought of turning round the other way? Mind you then you’d get the wind right up your...............!

Never mind Older, it’ll soon be Lady Day, perhaps it’s time to get a nice young lady assistant! I’m sure that their every bit as good at groundskeeping as they are refereeing (oh, naughty me, mixing me threads  again).

4 hours ago, Ieuan Gregory said:

you and me both mate, now I've got b**** crows digging up the pitch!

Get that this time of the year, they lifted every divot I had replaced from boxing day, but that's nature and I don't take any notice of it really.

I bang a bit of wood against one of the advertising boards and that scares them off for a few hours at least.

I certainly would never harm them, probably Rooks rather than Crows.

20 hours ago, Ieuan Gregory said:

you and me both mate, now I've got b**** crows digging up the pitch!

I still think you should build yourself a scarerook (like a scarecrow only bigger), complete with bells and rattles. It certainly works for my veggie patch! A plastic hawk/eagle dangling from a long bamboo used to keep them at bay too! 🦅

1 hour ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

I still think you should build yourself a scarerook (like a scarecrow only bigger), complete with bells and rattles. It certainly works for my veggie patch! A plastic hawk/eagle dangling from a long bamboo used to keep them at bay too! 🦅

Don't need it like that Bruegel, they only really cause bad damage if your field is shallow rooted, other than that not really bad enough to cause concern.

Just irritating really.

6 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Don't need it like that Bruegel, they only really cause bad damage if your field is shallow rooted, other than that not really bad enough to cause concern.

Just irritating really.

Nearly got on the pitch today until I spotted this. Plenty of ice around from last night so that finished that.

Screenshot_20210210-203317_Gallery.jpg

Did manage to cut, roll and spike the warm up area though, not so frozen as the pitch! 

Managed to get onto both pitches at Vogue Park this week, my god hasn't the easterly wind dried the grounds out. It was dam cold but so lovely to be out on the machinery again. Even uncovered the mowing deck and put it over the pitches to tidy them up.

Really pleased with how it's looking and spring is just around the corner.

1st picture is 10th February 2017, second picture is 10th February 2021

20210212_220445.jpg

Screenshot_20210212-220403_Gallery.jpg

20210212_172514.jpg

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Managed to get onto both pitches at Vogue Park this week, my god hasn't the easterly wind dried the grounds out. It was dam cold but so lovely to be out on the machinery again. Even uncovered the mowing deck and put it over the pitches to tidy them up.

Really pleased with how it's looking and spring is just around the corner.

1st picture is 10th February 2017, second picture is 10th February 2021

20210212_220445.jpg

Screenshot_20210212-220403_Gallery.jpg

20210212_172514.jpg

Looking good Mark.

See the difference that couple of years sanding makes, plus no football of course.

I could have got out there this week but sod that in this Easterly wind...painful just breathing in!

Yes no football is the main factor Dave. Fairly easy with no one messing it up 😂. However I would much rather see people coming through the gates also enjoying it.

Easterly was dam cold but so thankful that us groundsman took delivery of our 5 new jackets before Christmas, keep me nice and warm. Paid for with our money for winning grounds team of the year, plus a top up from club funds. Please note no shorts were worm this week whilst out on the tractor!!😂😂

Hope everyone is safe and well and not to bored! Won't be long until we are all allowed out and everyone can get down to their local club and help with all those jobs, I reckon players will be queued out the gates to help do something!!🤣

Screenshot_20210213-115151_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20210213-115207_WhatsApp.jpg

On 13/02/2021 at 11:58, Mark said:

Yes no football is the main factor Dave. Fairly easy with no one messing it up 😂. However I would much rather see people coming through the gates also enjoying it.

Easterly was dam cold but so thankful that us groundsman took delivery of our 5 new jackets before Christmas, keep me nice and warm. Paid for with our money for winning grounds team of the year, plus a top up from club funds. Please note no shorts were worm this week whilst out on the tractor!!😂😂

Hope everyone is safe and well and not to bored! Won't be long until we are all allowed out and everyone can get down to their local club and help with all those jobs, I reckon players will be queued out the gates to help do something!!🤣

Screenshot_20210213-115151_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20210213-115207_WhatsApp.jpg

Can the club stretch to new socks? 

41 minutes ago, Mark said:

I've requested new socks!!😂😂 so glad I got on the pitches as they are water logged again now. Things are warming up so let's hope it dries up soon and we can get back out there.

How is everyone else's looking?

Walked over our pitch today,  not a hope in hell of doing anything after last night's rain and loads more on the way...endless.

But the grass is quietly growing,  so a bonus there, good job it's slow or we'll end up with a Hayfield!

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Everytime it drys up it then pours down so at the moment its just been left. No point risking it at the moment. Maybe Thursday if the wind drys the place up quickly. Else itll be next week at some point maybe. Got to be a dry week soon surly. Been saying that for over 2 months now. 🤣

Wouldn't have been much football played with these conditions,  probably play one game and lose the one a week after if not two!

Weather seems to be this way every winter now...what chance groundsmen. 

half inch rain this side, since midnight on North coast and more to come. Going back over the rainfall here since 2011,from September to March the lowest rainfall was 7 inches 2016/17 and the highest 21 inches 14/15. The last two winters have been the wettest since 2014.Surprisingly the year on year average per year. has been pretty consistent between 24 and 30 inches, each year. Seems to even itself out with wet winters and dry summers or vice versa. However that is only for this part of the North coast. Keep a smile on your face Dave think of all the divots we haven't had to put back in!