Cornwall Football Forum

Repair goalmouths and penalty spots...no way...no-one goes in the goalmouths until virtually kick off, and asked to keep out of the goals at half time.

Bit of spraying to do and that's about all, we've had a good clean up around the site last week and looking nice all around if I say so myself. 

Bit of divoting to finish off after Saturday and a quick nip off will do for this week.

I'll probably take the opportunity weather permitting to plug a few areas and pop a bit of sand in some of the softer areas to help the water get through the surface quicker. 

Will also take the chance to blow a few areas with the trusty old air dagger.

Can see this lasting longer than 4 weeks I'm afraid!

The goal mouth i repaired over the summer is showing some ware which is no surprise really. Just gona give it some tlc, light roll. Fork it and add some seed. Maybe drop some sand down some holes to help the drainage. 

Plenty of other jobs that just need time. Cant get it all done at once so if we get some decent weather we might have a chance.

Weeds have shot up thanks to the worms creating space for them to grow. Another job to pick away at. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well full circle now, out with the slitter to give the pitch a bit of air and get the water away a bit faster. 

Screenshot_20201113-201740_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201113-201717_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201113-201713_Gallery.jpg

Also allowed the grass to grow to 2" to hopefully get a bit deeper rooting with the fertiliser biting 100% now.

Screenshot_20201112-171043_Gallery.jpg

Big bonus this week as well, been looking for a set of slotted rollers for over 9 months and these appeared on Ebay this week ...got them at last.

The benefit of these are they don't roll the grass down in front of the cutters and will give a much better cut than the solid rollers.

Screenshot_20201113-201703_Gallery.jpg

Big, big bonus too in the last couple of weeks, one of the boys here managed to get us a couple of very nice sheds that were going to be scrapped!

Screenshot_20201103-152349_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201103-152346_Gallery.jpg

Lovely great shed giving me the chance to store the triple inside at last. Bit of work to do in there yet with shelving and a work bench but now I can get to the mowers without having to move a dozen bits and pieces...feeling really spoilt with all the space now.

20201103_145950.jpg

Lovely great shed giving me the chance to store the triple inside at last. Bit of work to do in there yet with shelving and a work bench but now I can get to the mowers without having to move a dozen bits and pieces...feeling really spoilt with all the space now.

And then this bunch from the university turn up and decide to have a kick around on the pitch!

Caught on camera. 

Screenshot_20201115-084208_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20201113-201626_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201113-201649_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201113-201644_Gallery.jpg

Yes and I caught them on there,  a few choice words later they took of like scalded cats with their tails between their legs.

I would have loved it if one had decided to lip me to give me a reason to bust their chops! Incandescent rage would not describe my anger at what they had done, supposedly the finest brains, the usual idiots in my estimation   if I had a gun I would have shot the lot of them!

And the ground temperature taken this morning a very healthy 11⁰c at 4" which is amazing for this time of the year. 

At 10⁰c grass will start to slow down slightly so at this time the grass is growing well will be cut at least twice a week for the time depending on the weather. 

At 5⁰ the grass will really slow up until it stops when it gets to a few days of zero temperatures,  that's when pitches suffer the most damage as there is no recovery for displaced or smeared grass, it cannot recover from being stomped into mud.

The best chance after this happens is to have a guts full of rain to wash the grass out of the mud.

2 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

And then this bunch from the university turn up and decide to have a kick around on the pitch!

Caught on camera. 

Screenshot_20201115-084208_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20201113-201626_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201113-201649_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201113-201644_Gallery.jpg

Yes and I caught them on there,  a few choice words later they took of like scalded cats with their tails between their legs.

I would have loved it if one had decided to lip me to give me a reason to bust their chops! Incandescent rage would not describe my anger at what they had done, supposedly the finest brains, the usual idiots in my estimation   if I had a gun I would have shot the lot of them!

Since they look semi-organised, with their matching kit etc. I would be asking the Club Secretary to write a letter to the students union seeking restitution either by way of a financial penalty or a series of work parties. I’m sure you can find lots of little jobs for them (putting up shelves etc.), which might teach them a little respect (a subject not taught at university!) and might win you a few fans, or even the odd term time player!

1 hour ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

And the ground temperature taken this morning a very healthy 11⁰c at 4" which is amazing for this time of the year. 

At 10⁰c grass will start to slow down slightly so at this time the grass is growing well will be cut at least twice a week for the time depending on the weather. 

At 5⁰ the grass will really slow up until it stops when it gets to a few days of zero temperatures,  that's when pitches suffer the most damage as there is no recovery for displaced or smeared grass, it cannot recover from being stomped into mud.

The best chance after this happens is to have a guts full of rain to wash the grass out of the mud.

A few years ago we made up a couple of foldable frames covered in heavy duty agriculture fleece (l thought clear polythene might be better, but was overruled!) to put over the goalmouths to try to keep some warmth in the ground (we did take them off before games!). The Groundsman at the time swore they worked wonders, I couldn’t see much difference!

Not a lot of advantage with polythene this time of the year Breugel, in the spring to warm the ground faster it is used a lot by farmers to get the crop to market earlier. 

Fleece on a goalmouth (?)  Not for me personally, would see no point in just doing a goalmouth.

No warm ups in the goalmouths has always worked for me to protect it.

I've calmed down from when the damage was done and mostly repaired it now, they got the message on the day believe me!

2 hours ago, Mrgreen said:

With the present incredibly mild temperatures, and the fact that grass, and weeds are still actively growing. Daisies, for example, looking more like cabbages, it seems like a good idea to apply a late season selective herbicide. 

Getting a clean surface now will really give a good head start come next spring.

Yes, mild is an under statement! 

Like cabbages certainly, so big I've just been cutting them of with a knife, quicker than a selective...and cheaper! 

Not got a lot of weed as I tend to continually treat weeds as I see them and do the whole pitch that way as well. Never saw the point on spraying a whole pitch to get a few weeds that would not cover 20 square yards in total.

Grass is certainly growing! I've not been able to cut it for 13 days now due to this bloody rain.

Dry day Thursday promised so planning to cut my hay field then...fingers crossed, probably the longest it's ever been at the moment! 

Older. 

I’ve just noticed your new rollers. Nice upgrade.

If you can get the scraper attachments it will be well worth it. The groves don’t take long to fill up in sticky conditions. 

Some of the older walk behind mowers used to have a small section of roller on each side, with a big void in the middle. Great in the summer, but used to gouge a little when used in softer conditions.

Another little tip for anybody. If you don’t get on with the groves, a tight length of plastic pipe slid over each one and you have smooth rollers.

1 hour ago, Mrgreen said:

Older. 

If you can get the scraper attachments it will be well worth it. The groves don’t take long to fill up in sticky conditions. 

Some of the older walk behind mowers used to have a small section of roller on each side, with a big void in the middle. Great in the summer, but used to gouge a little when used in softer conditions.

Another little tip for anybody. If you don’t get on with the groves, a tight length of plastic pipe slid over each one and you have smooth rollers.

Thanks Mrgreen, been a long time getting them. 

I try to avoid sticky conditions where possible when using a roller mower, or would stiff brush the pitch early morning to remove dew and worm casts to avoid the clogging.

This time of year I will go back to a rotary cut and only use the triple when conditions allow, it is a heavy beast for the conditions at this time.

I will be looking for the scrapers but will probably end up doing a bit of a bespoke jobby if needs be. 

Rain, rain, rain,  never make plans they say, all the work I planned on the pitch during lockdown...we've had one dry day here!!! Got  decent cut on the pitch that day though.

Screenshot_20201121-155428_Gallery.jpg

So with today's rain I decided to service the rotary.

New plug, oil filter and oil (single 30 grade) clean carburetor bowl and check float operation, and finish with a greasing.

Screenshot_20201121-155347_Gallery.jpg

Check afterfire solenoid to stop backfires.

Screenshot_20201121-155355_Gallery.jpg

Use sump oil pump for a nice easy oil change,  lovely bit of kit.

Screenshot_20201121-155358_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201121-155408_Gallery.jpg

Did find a couple of leucars a bit loose on the ignition side so pinched them up a tad, made difference to starting immediately. 

Screenshot_20201121-155337_Gallery.jpg

One disappointing thing though I did notice a bit of spray oil on the front axle which may be coming from the top of the engine.

Hopefully not the head gasket but maybe the rocker cover I hope...a much easier job that will be!

So wet again tomorrow I may strip out the front of the engine to find out what happened...sod it the mower has only done 330 hours. Might get away with just torqueing the bolts down...fingers crossed on that one.

Forecast for the week looking dry!!!!

Screenshot_20201121-155351_Gallery.jpg

On 18/11/2020 at 13:01, Mrgreen said:

Older. 

There you go MrGreen, found these bespoke jobbies somebody had made for their 180.

Pretty simple to have made and modelled on the old mowers you were talking about with the void in the centre to avoid rolling the grass down in front of the cutter units.

Keep a sharp eye out for stones or metal studs that have come out of boots though or you will end up with a nice sharpening bill (!)

Screenshot (160).png

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ieuan Gregory said:

not quite on topic but, I have an old Ransomes (I believe) slitter which needs some TLC if anyone would like it, then it is there for the asking FOC.3 point linkage for a tractor. Used until recently, not perfect but will do a job for you. Ieuan Gregory 07787040107 Hayle FC

P1040067.JPG

That's a fine bit of kit there Ieuan, if I had a tractor to fit it I'd have it in a heartbeat...you'll have a queue for that if anybody's got any sense.

And...football returns.

A quick couple of 7 a side games to loosen up for Saturday. 

Screenshot_20201202-203307_Gallery.jpg

2 hours ago, Paul said:

Forcast for wind over night and fairly dry tomorrow. Could yet get the reserves game on. Not been able to touch the pitch all week. No machinery on it to help roll out a few bobbles. Hopefully better weather around xmas and new year.

Better here this week,  got on the pitch for the first time in over a week and put the deep slitter over it, pitch not bad and looks like game on for once!

On 12/12/2020 at 05:51, Paul said:
8 hours ago, Paul said:

With the forcast looking dreadful all week we took a gamble and cut and rolled the pitch back in straight after todays match. With heavy rain tomorrow it should wash it all in nicely and hopefully we have a chance to play next Saturday. Can only hope. 

20201213_001008.jpg

20201213_001021.jpg

You're braver than I am there Paul, I've never rolled directly after a game. I like to put all the divots back first after the grass has had a good washing to let it stand up.

Probably got a few thousand to do after yesterdays game but with no home fixture next Saturday I'm on easy street for a couple of weeks. 

A roll towards the end of this week or even next and then a good slitting should get our boxing day fixture on.

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Spent an hour putting the worst divots back together. With the rain forecast for today having it rolled and cut will give it chance to bed in a bit. Unfortunately with work at xmas and dark evenings opportunities are limited to do much. 

Spot on thinking there buddy, I'm retired so time is not limited...on the pitch at least...lol

3 hours ago, Paul said:

Spent an hour putting the worst divots back together. With the rain forecast for today having it rolled and cut will give it chance to bed in a bit. Unfortunately with work at xmas and dark evenings opportunities are limited to do much. 

You are a total hero Paul, as Older said; a brave move, but with your commitments I guess there was little choice. I am sure you were grateful for all the help from the Committee and players after the match‼️
In fact I’m surprised that you weren’t castigated for keeping the floodlights on for so long‼️

A strange but serious question to ask you Older . You obviously have to plan your work on your pitch according to the weather . Do you rely solely on the weather forecasts or do you use a different method ie. barometer ?

The reason I ask is that along the extreme East coast here in Norfolk , the proximity ( good word ) of the sea means that rainfall as predicted by the experts often doesn't arrive  or if it does , not in the volume forecast . As a result some of  "the old boys " rely on  a barometer or even seaweed  as an indicator as regards planning work on the fields .

Does the fact  that you are surrounded by water down there  as apposed to  one coastal fringe , mean that the weather forecast is usually accurate .? 

1 minute ago, fenman said:

A strange but serious question to ask you Older . You obviously have to plan your work on your pitch according to the weather . Do you rely solely on the weather forecasts or do you use a different method ie. barometer ?

The reason I ask is that along the extreme East coast here in Norfolk , the proximity ( good word ) of the sea means that rainfall as predicted by the experts often doesn't arrive  or if it does , not in the volume forecast . As a result some of  "the old boys " rely on  a barometer or even seaweed  as an indicator as regards planning work on the fields .

Does the fact  that you are surrounded by water down there  as apposed to  one coastal fringe , mean that the weather forecast is usually accurate .? 

I've been reliant on weather forecasts all my working life and they are notoriously wrong down here on the south coast a lot of times.

Certainly our geographical situation makes it difficult to get the weather correct, but generally the south coast of Cornwall gets a lot more rain than the rest of the county in my opinion. 

We sit at the mouth of the English channel which seems to act as a funnel for the weather fronts.

Two weeks ago virtually all clubs on the south coast cancelled when the rest of Cornwall played, even as close as 5 miles away from the coast seems to be different! 

Myself I watch the forecasts but keep an eye out over Mabe hill as that's where 95% of our weather comes from.

A lot of people dont realise how wet Cornwall can be.

I watch about 5 forecasts a day and also follow 2 different forecasts on the net. The weather Radar app is very useful for short term rain forecasts, however as Dave says the South coast gets a lot more rain than the North. Also because we are a peninsular there is a greater chance of isolated weather conditions. Several years ago, when Boscastle got wiped out I watched the rain advance up the Bristol Channel not 5 miles off shore. Hayle and the west (35 miles as the crow flies) never had a drop of rain that afternoon. I have a similar hill to the west which always gives me a good idea of what is coming up

Well started repairing the pitch today after last Saturday's game, been too wet to walk on with all the rain but not too bad today.

Spotted these slow release prills in one of the divots still there after being put down 9 weeks ago, they must still be working as the ground temperature was still at 7 degrees today which is bonkers for this time of the year. 

So once the major divots are replaced I will cut the grass and roll with a good deep slitting the day after, way too wet at the moment to put any machinery on the pitch so fingers crossed on the weather up to boxing day the next fixture.

Screenshot_20201218-000031_Gallery.jpg

Although the temperatures are still good and the grass is still slowly growing there is no recovery on the displaced divots as shown by no root growth after 6 days, may get some later but not at this time.

51 minutes ago, Paul said:

Morning all. I think a few miracles are needed if everyone is to play football this Saturday. No let up today. Need to hope that wind keeps up to help dry out the pitch. Gona be touch and go for many. 😕

I'm going for a wipeout!!!

Water tables are full so nowhere for the water to go, drainage will be very slow in these conditions. 

4 hours ago, Titus Bramble said:

@Markhow’s Vogue Park looking? My wife is busy making plans for Xmas shopping... 😟

I and the other groundsmen will be working hard to get games on. I think our bottom pitch will be OFF but main pitch maybe ok if rain stops to give time to dry as Leuan says.

I don't know for sure but we all want football on so we will be up early to give it the biggest chance. 🙏🤞🙏🤞

With nearly all the local footy off I thought I'd have the afternoon finishing off the divoting prior to a cut and roll.

Hahahaha 1.00pm down came the rain and that was the end of that...gawd knows when it's going to be finished with Sunday's weather predominantly heavy rain!

I took my dog out for a walk instead...bolloooks to it.