Cornwall Football Forum

Came up on facebook memories today that 3 years ago today we cut our pitch for the first time in 3 months!! The rain hasnt stopped here all day so forget this week. 

Roll on March. 🤣

And your right i dont think we would have seen much football either. Not a chance. 

3 hours ago, Ieuan Gregory said:

half inch rain this side, since midnight on North coast and more to come. Going back over the rainfall here since 2011,from September to March the lowest rainfall was 7 inches 2016/17 and the highest 21 inches 14/15. The last two winters have been the wettest since 2014.Surprisingly the year on year average per year. has been pretty consistent between 24 and 30 inches, each year. Seems to even itself out with wet winters and dry summers or vice versa. However that is only for this part of the North coast. Keep a smile on your face Dave think of all the divots we haven't had to put back in!

I haven't divoted the pitch from boxing day yet!

34 minutes ago, Paul said:

Finally got the chance to get the machine out and cut the pitch. First time since early December!! Now hopefully we can push on a bit. Going to need to tweak the units for a better cut at some point. I think id prefere a Dennis push mower to get that really sharp cut. Just need 6k!! 

20210218_182711.jpg

Got the mower out! No way here with the rain yesterday, wouldn't even walk on ours now, need a week to dry out here at least. 

Looking good though buddy, 6k for a push mower!

You mean a Dennis G860(?) 

Cracking mower, used to have one but 3+ hours to cut and box off mind.

We had alot of wind which really helped dry the pitch out. Forcast awful for the next few days so pleased to get it done. 

Yeah the Dennis G860 looks the business. Lovely cut. Be ideal for a day off. Good exercise and would look even better. Alot of money though.

34 minutes ago, Paul said:

We had alot of wind which really helped dry the pitch out. Forcast awful for the next few days so pleased to get it done. 

Yeah the Dennis G860 looks the business. Lovely cut. Be ideal for a day off. Good exercise and would look even better. Alot of money though.

It is the business alright, if you get one get the cassette's with it as well.

The scarifying one is a lovely bit of kit but well over the 1K mark.

1 hour ago, Paul said:

£6K, gosh, that’s almost as much as a player! Mind you, who needs a goalkeeper anyway! Go for it, Vice-chairman will sign it off!

23 hours ago, Paul said:

This is alot cheaper. Wondered 8f this would be man enough for the job. Maybe not the whole pitch but large areas that need the extra tlc. Any thoughts?

20210218_204030.jpg

Way too small buddy, it is to narrow and short the other way, it would pick up every little lump,  bump and undulation.

Remember with a front rollered cylinder you have to cut really regularly, when I used one on our pitch it would be normal to cut 3 times a week. 

The Dennis is a top mower with a fine cut but you need a lot of free time to maintain a pitch with one.

There are occasionally second hand ones on Ebay but still not cheap.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU

AS INTERESTING YOU DO

YOU’VE KEPT US SANE THROUGH THE PANDEMIC 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU 

💥🍸🍾🎂1️⃣ YEAR OLD TODAY🎂🍾🥂💥

NEARLY 888 POSTS

(certainly will be before the day is out)

and congratulations to Older, the instigator 

with nearly 500 gems of knowledge.

Must be some records on there!

20 minutes ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU

AS INTERESTING YOU DO

YOU’VE KEPT US SANE THROUGH THE PANDEMIC 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU 

💥🍸🍾🎂1️⃣ YEAR OLD TODAY🎂🍾🥂💥

NEARLY 888 POSTS

(certainly will be before the day is out)

and congratulations to Older, the instigator 

with nearly 500 gems of knowledge.

Must be some records on there!

Well thank you Bruegal. 

Not just me though is it, thanks to everyone who contributes the thread, all the other grounds peeps  who love working on their grounds and share their knowledge. 

Well done to every poster from me.

And yes...we have gone full circle on a years maintenance. 

A great shame there has been little football played but hoping for a better year from the virus to the weather. 

Thank you all.

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Lovely day today for it. Nets down. Some how i need to get them washed. Anyone got any tips? Machine wash or dump in a bath of boiling hot water? 

The grass has certainly grown in the last week. That first cut sets it going im convinced.

Day off tomorrow. Time to get a few more jobs done. 

Nets down(?) They're looking at some type of cup competition aren't they(?)

Our league is still/maybe looking at finishing the season up until the end of June!!!

No changing rooms, showers, bar and so on...how the hell is that football?

Anyway...you could try dropping the nets into a bath of window net soak, transforms them back to white again...worth a shot maybe.

Looking at cutting/slitting here on Saturday,  still on soft side here in a few places, but grass moving on a bit of a pace now...and the old weeds showing up now too.

Here we go again...yippee.

Weve been meaning to take them down for months but its rained and rained. They need a good wash. If football returns then they can go back up. 

Once any dew has cleared tomorrow ill give it a cut and tidy around. Spectator areas are ready to cut tidy. Light evenings on their way should start to be busy again.

8 hours ago, Paul said:

Weve been meaning to take them down for months but its rained and rained. They need a good wash. If football returns then they can go back up. 

Once any dew has cleared tomorrow ill give it a cut and tidy around. Spectator areas are ready to cut tidy. Light evenings on their way should start to be busy again.

Rain...what rain(?) Lol.

I'm planning to cut and slit Saturday as well but will brush the dew off early doors a couple of hours beforehand to give a nice dry cut.

You don't brush your grass before cutting (?) I will always do it this time of year, about a 35 minute job.

Within the finer turf industry, golf greens for example. Surface moisture is removed 365 days of the year. Done both for playability, but more importantly plant health. Many turf fungal diseases are encouraged and spread through water. Usually done as a side effect of mowing (daily most of the year)    On none mowing days, turf is either brushed with a giant draft excluder called a big dewy, or a long fibre glass pole is used with a wide side to side “swishing motion”

I believe an added side effect of a stiff brushing or swishing, is a thickening off the sward.

A footy pitch could be done with a hose pipe, with a person on each end.

I dont normally worry about knocking off the dew. Just leave it to clear. Maybe need to start doing that sometimes.

Spent the morning cleaning machinery up and then got a cut in after dinner. Not looking bad but i feel it could be a bit shorter. Maybe im being to fussy. Just nice having the sun out and not having to worry about any rain.

Screenshot_20210226-191700_Gallery.jpg

Looking good Paul, defo invest in a brush mate, I got one made by a fabricator about 10 years ago, still good now, it's a tow behind but now looking to modify into 3 point linkage. Brilliant for putting stripes in quickly on a match days (if grass is short), dries out grass so that machinery is not covered in grass after cutting and as you know, I expect, it has loads of other benefits around infections, air around the base of the plant etc.

We designed it so that the brush heads are just screwed on and screwed off,  we replace them every year for about £20-£25 and we have a new brush. The brush is 9ft wide, exactly 3yards for obvious reasons!

Screenshot_20210226-203424_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20210226-203439_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20210226-203601_Photos.jpg

2 hours ago, Mrgreen said:

Within the finer turf industry, golf greens for example. Surface moisture is removed 365 days of the year. Done both for playability, but more importantly plant health. Many turf fungal diseases are encouraged and spread through water. Usually done as a side effect of mowing (daily most of the year)    On none mowing days, turf is either brushed with a giant draft excluder called a big dewy, or a long fibre glass pole is used with a wide side to side “swishing motion”

I believe an added side effect of a stiff brushing or swishing, is a thickening off the sward.

A footy pitch could be done with a hose pipe, with a person on each end.

Good info there again Mrgreen, golf greens are a million miles from football pitches...really intense maintenance. Dew certainly can spread fungal attacks and can be a real problem, regular brushing will help to ease the fungal spread.

Many years ago I used to go to the pitch and pull a heavy rope across the pitch before I went to work, then cut it in my flexi dinner two hours! Sometimes everyday...my crazy days...lol.

And of course brushing stands the grass up for a better cut.

50 minutes ago, Mark said:

Looking good Paul, defo invest in a brush mate, I got one made by a fabricator about 10 years ago, still good now, it's a tow behind but now looking to modify into 3 point linkage. Brilliant for putting stripes in quickly on a match days (if grass is short), dries out grass so that machinery is not covered in grass after cutting and as you know, I expect, it has loads of other benefits around infections, air around the base of the plant etc.

We designed it so that the brush heads are just screwed on and screwed off,  we replace them every year for about £20-£25 and we have a new brush. The brush is 9ft wide, exactly 3yards for obvious reasons!

Screenshot_20210226-203424_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20210226-203439_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20210226-203601_Photos.jpg

Hello Mark, I use much heavier brushes than you're using with very stiff bristles, really brushes the grass and brings up a bit of thatch each time.

One of my brushes is also adjustable to lighten or tighten down the brush...good kit, but expensive! 

1 minute ago, Paul said:

Thanks Mark. Definitely worth having one. I shall look into getting one. Good to use if you need to get cutting early on a match day. 

Yeah honest it didn't cost that much and it's such a satisfying job to do and takes 30-40 mins in two directions. Now if you got to pick between brushing and cleaning off wet grass I know what I would chose. Plus from brushing you get all the other benefits.

I have also taken the brush heads off and used as a levelling tool to move and level of a pile of soil.

7 minutes ago, Mark said:

Yeah honest it didn't cost that much and it's such a satisfying job to do and takes 30-40 mins in two directions. Now if you got to pick between brushing and cleaning off wet grass I know what I would chose. Plus from brushing you get all the other benefits.

I have also taken the brush heads off and used as a levelling tool to move and level of a pile of soil.

Looking at your brushes there buddy I would look to have a bit of a stiffer bristle, a better brush finish and would last a lot longer than one season.

Nylon bristles I would be looking at bud.

Caught you boys up at last and got on the pitch to cut and slit it.

Bit of a heavy dew but by the time I got free to go to the ground it had all but gone...happy days.

Got it nipped off at about 45mm to allow the rooting to continue without stunting its growth by cutting the grass too short.

Screenshot_20210227-155141_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210227-155105_Gallery.jpg

1 hour ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Make the most of it Older, gale force wind and heavy rain will drive you back to your shed for the rest of the week!🌬🌧🛖🏃🏻

Don't matter now Bruegel, cut and rolled at playing height for the first time since November. 

-1⁰ here this morning so will give the grass a bit of a check for a while. 

Other things to do as well.

50 minutes ago, Paul said:

Something different today. One of our summer projects to improve our ground and the addition of a new stand at the far end of the ground. Something ive wanted to do for years. Well today we got the frame work in place. Next step to add additional supports and get the roof on. 

20210309_203747.jpg

Looking good there buddy.

Did you get my PM(?)

• 2 weeks later...

Planning to start a bit of divot filling from boxing day tomorrow...yes..boxing day if the wind dies down at last!

And time to plug a few early weeds out at the same time, I'm going to go easier on the selective weedkiller in future as I do not like what I'm reading about the decreasing  number of bees that this stuff kills!

When I do use it I will be spraying before they flower or remove the flower heads by mowing a few days before use with the mower.  Do not spray for a few days after cutting to let the tillers seal on the ends.

Time to consider the wildlife methinks.