Cornwall Football Forum

Pitch cut today before the rain comes in again in the week. Although it looks ok its looking a bit yellow and tired in places. It needs something to give it a bit of a boost. 

Do you suggest using the bits of rubber Older for any diviots or a mixture of top soil and sand good enough? 

Screenshot_20210321-180515_Gallery.jpg

On 18/03/2021 at 23:15, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Planning to start a bit of divot filling from boxing day tomorrow...yes..boxing day if the wind dies down at last!

And time to plug a few early weeds out at the same time, I'm going to go easier on the selective weedkiller in future as I do not like what I'm reading about the decreasing  number of bees that this stuff kills!

When I do use it I will be spraying before they flower or remove the flower heads by mowing a few days before use with the mower.  Do not spray for a few days after cutting to let the tillers seal on the ends.

Time to consider the wildlife methinks.

Thank you Professor Older, that post, or an extended version of it, should be sent to every Groundsman/Greenkeeper in the country/world. Professional Sports Curators are almost up there with agriculture/horticulture as far as putting lethal chemicals into the countryside is concerned. Not sure about rubber granules though, maybe my friends the worms dine on them, or maybe they just sit there forever!

Sand and soil buddy, I'd hold off on the fertiliser yet, wants to be a bit warmer, it will flush itself when the sun comes out. 

1 hour ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Thank you Professor Older, that post, or an extended version of it, should be sent to every Groundsman/Greenkeeper in the country/world. Professional Sports Curators are almost up there with agriculture/horticulture as far as putting lethal chemicals into the countryside is concerned. Not sure about rubber granules though, maybe my friends the worms dine on them, or maybe they just sit there forever!

The rubber I put in the ground is still there about 12 years later so it looks like they're in in for the long haul!

9 hours ago, Paul said:

Thanks mate. Maybe May would be the right month to give it a boost. I think the grass has been that wet for so long now its taking a bit of time to recover. 

It's always beneficial to fertilise later in my opinion to get the grass hardened up for the summer months, especially a bit of Potash to fight disease. 

1 hour ago, justanopinion said:

Older, do you have a recommendation on where one like this can be purchased?

Got mine off Ebay buddy, they come up now and then, just keep watching.

Ours is 40inches to match the mower, we have one pitch so perfectly adequate for that.

Brand new they are dopey money, but the carrier frame holds other bits of kit as well, slitter, spike, rake or brushes so a versatile bit of kit.

I got ours with the rake and star wheel slitter for £350 which is good.

Scarifying lifts your grass and disturbs the sward letting in a lot of benefits to your pitch.

Remember you have to pick up the debris from the work or you wasted your time.

I'll leave it on the pitch now to dry out a bit which makes collecting it with a box mower a lot easier.

We all know you can get £££s in machinery Grant's now but with one pitch a ride on, collector with various attachments is completely viable.

No need to go down the route of compact tractors, multi tool do all kit that even with the grant money costs thousands...no need at this level unless you have more than one pitch.

3rd pass and lifting a a lot of crap out now, the grass will love bit of fresh air, and speed the ball up as well.

Good for knocking off lumps and bumps, worm casts too. Only went over it 3 times today, last year 12 times, I'll do it again if time permits.

Great help from our centre forward today as well...thanks to Ryan for giving up a couple of hours.

Screenshot_20210325-142442_Gallery.jpg

Just now, justanopinion said:

Older, Many thanks for detailed reply. What do you think about a tractor that cuts and mulches? Could this exacerbate the need for a scarifier rake if the grass doesn't fully breakdown when left on?

Hello buddy, for me I would never use a mulching deck on a sports pitch, just stores up trouble later down the line.

Cutting regularly is the key to letting your clippings fly rather than pick them up, but it has to be done really regularly.

I might be behind the times on this as there are now high lift mulching decks available which funny enough I'm going to look at tomorrow. 

We'll see then.

Here's the powered scarifier I need a change of mower for, it is belt driven so a Countax or Westwood will give me that and then I can be brutal to the surface but will still give huge benefits. 

Years ago talking to the old Highbury groundsman he would scarify his pitch end of season 30 times!

Best pitch I've ever seen and I'm a Spurs man!!!

Screenshot_20210325-162653_Gallery.jpg

Good old Ebay again, £360 + £80 pallet delivery...bargain.

On 25/03/2021 at 14:37, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Hello buddy, for me I would never use a mulching deck on a sports pitch, just stores up trouble later down the line.

Cutting regularly is the key to letting your clippings fly rather than pick them up, but it has to be done really regularly.

I might be behind the times on this as there are now high lift mulching decks available which funny enough I'm going to look at tomorrow. 

We'll see then.

Went and had a look a one of these high lift mulching decks today.

Absolutely no way would I use that on a football pitch, no different to a standard mulching deck.

You would have to pick up the arisings afterwards without doubt or it would like like a council cut grass verge!

Or cut your pitch at least twice a week. 

8 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Went and had a look a one of these high lift mulching decks today.

Absolutely no way would I use that on a football pitch, no different to a standard mulching deck.

You would have to pick up the arisings afterwards without doubt or it would like like a council cut grass verge!

Or cut your pitch at least twice a week. 

Dave what make and model did you look at? I'm interested to goggle it and see what you are referring too.

Cheers

3 hours ago, Mark said:

Dave what make and model did you look at? I'm interested to goggle it and see what you are referring too.

Cheers

Hello bud, a Countax 20-50.

20 horsepower with 50" high lift mulch deck.

It comes with a grass collector behind the deck.

Screenshot_20210326-224236_Chrome.jpg

It's probably perfectly ok as long as you collect the grass everytime. 

There really should be no need to collect grass clippings behind a mulch mower.

Granted, conditions need to be good, and grass not left to grow too long. But the mowing deck should be fully enclosed, so as not to allow any clippings to leave, until fully mulched.

There should be two blades on each boss, the first to cut the grass, and a second, above to mulch. In the photo, it appears to be a rear discharge.

A good mulcher used in good conditions should give a spotless finish. I’ve used mulching finishing mowers, and have my own pedestrian version, I’m happy with both finishes.

However clippings being returned. NOW THERE’S A DIFFERENT SUBJECT. Ask two groundsman, get three options!!

Certainly the one I looked at was rear discharge with chains to spread the arisings if not being collected. 

Not for me personally, mulching mowers would have to be used really regularly to get any sort of finish and the grass would have to be bone dry for sure, I'd probably only use one late afternoon or brush any damp off first.

Clippings being returned was a big no, no for me for a lot of years, but today with higher blade speeds the arisings are certainly finer than they used to be so theorists believe they get down to the bacteria...and not become thatch.

Myself I do let the grass fly now more than pick it up, but that is only if I'm bang on the cutting schedule. 

Out with the box mower and picked up the scarifying...all done.

Beautiful day, warm and plenty of light, the light will get photosynthesis on the move and the grass will start to pick up after a miserable March month for light.

It has been estimated that Wimbledon centre court only gets enough light for the grass to grow on its own for a maximum of 9 days a year.

The rest of the time it is artificially lit.

Screenshot_20210329-135710_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210329-135725_Gallery.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Borrowed our neighbours lining in machine today (got to get a new one)

Blimey this thing is ultra light and so easy use compared to my 40 year old ultra heavyweight liner,

4"line compared to the old 3" and what a difference to the finish of the pitch.

Never seen the lines look better.

Cold as well,  8 or 9 days of 2⁰ or 3⁰ have certainly slowed the growth up, cut 9 days ago and won't need a cut for a good few days yet.

Screenshot_20210409-143632_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210409-143639_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210409-171240_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210409-171449_Hik-Connect.jpg

Yep we too were delighted to see football back at VP. Lots of hard work over lockdown has paid off by the groundsteam

Gave the pitch a good rake out and clean up last week and it's already looking healthier for it.

Good string line and over mark this morning, after a double brush and a double cut, pitch was looking really good.

Hope everyone is well.

Screenshot_20210410-175812_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210410-175837_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210410-175849_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210410-175854_Gallery.jpg

Managed to get on the pitch last couple of days and do a bit of weed killing at last. Picked the flowers off all the weed before spraying so as not kill any bee's, so happy to do that.

Just wait for the next lot to turn up and nail them as well. 

Two days of frost here has done for any growth again. That's 13 days now with not enough growth to cut, poor for April but hopefully warm up soon.

Screenshot_20210414-162340_Gallery.jpg

More frost today but warming up and bright sunshine has got the grass slightly moving at last, all we need now is a nice bit of rain to push it on a bit more.

Time to buy my fertiliser and I'm probably going to go with the good old national growmore again at 7.7.7. as I find it perfectly acceptable  for growth and longevity of release with a cracking price of a around £16 for a 25 kilo bag and that will do for me.

1 hour ago, justanopinion said:

Am I right in thinking that if I use 16.16.16 at half the rate you have applied 7.7.7, the pitch will basically receive a similar amount of feed?

Not really buddy, but you'll probably find that half a dose will work just as well, you have to be a bit more careful though to make sure you get a good average coverage.

The best way to do that would be to put down half length ways and the other across to make sure.

Bit the bullet today and nipped the grass of for a bit of a tidy up and to strengthen the pattern. 

Also decided to water the goalmouths to get a bit of growth going for the up and coming fixtures. 

More pesky dandelions popping up due to the neighbouring council land feeding in seeds all the time, but the good news only had 3 daisies on the pitch!

So all in all not a bad day, no rain forecast and a drop in temperature again it's going to be a while before any good growth yet.

Screenshot_20210416-162938_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210416-162947_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210416-162932_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210416-162919_Gallery.jpg

20210417_011551.jpg

On 16/04/2021 at 16:28, justanopinion said:

Am I right in thinking that if I use 16.16.16 at half the rate you have applied 7.7.7, the pitch will basically receive a similar amount of feed?

Mmm, pretty much yes. 

The problem with going to light on application rates, is you can get speckling. This is where the prills are to far apart and cause a green speckled effect. 

Much better to go a little lighter with an analysis, such as 12 6 6. Also a cheap product due the amounts produced, well suited to grass growth, as N is more needed than P and K (in my opinion)

Out with the new lining machine today, what a revelation! 

Easiest thing in the world to mark in with this, light as a feather to use and absolutely delighted with it.

Only marked one way as the line came up strong enough not to have to go back on the line the other way, I'll find out in the winter if the line is strong enough to withstand any rain. On first impressions I certainly would not spend hundreds on a spray liner.

The lines showing up nicely from top to bottom and all lined up.

So...I have an old lining machine available free to a good home.

Just PM and we'll  sort it.

Screenshot_20210423-141315_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210423-141335_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210423-141444_Gallery.jpg

Problems starting now, an area of dry patch showing up, and the grass not standing up when walked on, a few more days of this weather and it's out with the water machines! Never had to do that in April before, late June/July  normally. 

But, the wind has gone around to a bit North Westerly so a possibility of some rain...fingers crossed for that.

Screenshot_20210427-173123_Gallery.jpg

Spent today giving everything a good cut including around the ground in the hope that tomorrow we get a bucket full of rain to give everything a good kick. The pitch is so dry and looking tired. Not used any fertiliser yet as we need the rain. These conditions are normally more June/July type conditions.

Daisys and Dandilions growing everywhere. They follow the areas we mark the pitch at the far end. God nos why. Must be something in the paint they like. Pitch needs spraying this summer to sort that out. 

Hope your all well and enjoying the dry weather. Well to a point. 😃

20210502_213720.jpg

51 minutes ago, Paul said:

Spent today giving everything a good cut including around the ground in the hope that tomorrow we get a bucket full of rain to give everything a good kick. The pitch is so dry and looking tired. Not used any fertiliser yet as we need the rain. These conditions are normally more June/July type conditions.

Daisys and Dandilions growing everywhere. They follow the areas we mark the pitch at the far end. God nos why. Must be something in the paint they like. Pitch needs spraying this summer to sort that out. 

Hope your all well and enjoying the dry weather. Well to a point. 😃

20210502_213720.jpg

Dandelions...tell me about it, thousands of the sods, going to have a good go at them later in the week.

Very few daisies though.

And rain, yes please, no bulk in the grass at all, I won't be putting any fertiliser down yet, will need more than one day's rain before I do that.

I'll probably leave it as late as possible now so as to get maximum benefit out of it, might even leave it to September/October, any rain now will make the grass grow perfectly well for me.

Im thinking the same. Let the rain take hold for a bit before we put to much fertiliser down. 

This afternoon the weather has come in and the pitch is getting a good soaking. Just what it needed. 

Listening to the radio in the car earlier it mentioned how poor the weather had been for April and the really low temperatures. Might see some change coming hopefully. 

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Im thinking the same. Let the rain take hold for a bit before we put to much fertiliser down. 

This afternoon the weather has come in and the pitch is getting a good soaking. Just what it needed. 

Listening to the radio in the car earlier it mentioned how poor the weather had been for April and the really low temperatures. Might see some change coming hopefully. 

Not before time Paul, not a lot of rain here though, going to need a lot more than this buddy.

Rain at night, long sunny days for photosynthesis and a bit of warmth for the soil bacteria and the grass will fly...wishful thinking...lol.

Heres how dry it's been,  a line on the training ground!!!

Screenshot_20210503-223342_Gallery.jpg

On 03/05/2021 at 22:25, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Not before time Paul, not a lot of rain here though, going to need a lot more than this buddy.

Rain at night, long sunny days for photosynthesis and a bit of warmth for the soil bacteria and the grass will fly...wishful thinking...lol.

Heres how dry it's been,  a line on the training ground!!!

Screenshot_20210503-223342_Gallery.jpg

Side winning the toss will bowl first I think. 

I dont think ive known a April/May like this. The grass just isnt growing. Even the rain hasnt made a huge difference. 

Lots to do over the coming weeks now. Verti draining, seeding, fertiliser etc. Not done alot to it recently as so much else to get done first.

1 hour ago, Paul said:

I dont think ive known a April/May like this. The grass just isnt growing. Even the rain hasnt made a huge difference. 

Lots to do over the coming weeks now. Verti draining, seeding, fertiliser etc. Not done alot to it recently as so much else to get done first.

Grass is moving here quietly, got a few games coming up so just general bit of cut and light rolling for me.

The rain has started to green the pitch up now at last, and a bit of growth as well which is good.

But. We are now under severe bird attacks after leather jacket grubs. This happens when there is too much thatch giving protection to the bugs from frosts and keeping them warm overwinter.

As soon as this weather has gone over and there are no more games (3left) I'll scarify the wings to stop this happening. 

Screenshot_20210520-194146_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210520-194153_Gallery.jpg

pretty much the same over here Dave and I think Mark has same problem at St Day never had it before in 30 years made a right mess. However starting to make a recovery, so out with the machinery and try to clear it up. Every where has it this season some local golf clubs badly affected must be a change in the autumn climate I suppose

21 minutes ago, Ieuan Gregory said:

pretty much the same over here Dave and I think Mark has same problem at St Day never had it before in 30 years made a right mess. However starting to make a recovery, so out with the machinery and try to clear it up. Every where has it this season some local golf clubs badly affected must be a change in the autumn climate I suppose

Must be buddy, I've never had it here before either. 

I make a bit of a noise when I see them and that scares them off for a few hours at least the little sods. 

Leather jackets are proving to be a major pest. Something that will only get worse. 

The larvae stage of the crane fly (daddy long legs) they eat grass roots, which in turn goes some way to explaining the slow growth that’s being seen.

The main control chemical was revoked around 3 years ago, given that an adult lays 400 eggs in the autumn and they hatch and in the spring, the population has been increasing ever since. The bird damage, while annoying, is at least getting rid of a few.

There is a new control available, but less effective and more expensive, as well as a biological control.

If the area, such as a golf green, has been tined. The grubs move in to the tine hole and nibble around the hole. Recovery is severely effected and holes stay open for months.

Golf courses are trialling, with some success, sheeting with silage sheets in the evenings. When removed the next morning, they are seeing 1000s and 1000s on the surface, which are then removed.

I Had same issue at Trungle this spring never had it before bleeddy crows everywhere I scarified the pitch heavily then had it vertidrained the put 60tonnes of sand on it brushed into the holes before they closed over seems to have worked  as the crows have moved on only seeing a couple a day up there now

1 hour ago, WRJ said:

I Had same issue at Trungle this spring never had it before bleeddy crows everywhere I scarified the pitch heavily then had it vertidrained the put 60tonnes of sand on it brushed into the holes before they closed over seems to have worked  as the crows have moved on only seeing a couple a day up there now

Yup, you disturbed all the bugs they were feeding on. 

Removing thatch should always help in reducing the bug population. 

Had issues with lots and lots of crows and it made the pitch look awful, never got around to finding out the cause but probably Leather Jackets or such like. Since the rain returned and the warmer weather has come the grass has greened up and lots of growth. This seems to have resulted in no more crows and pitch looking good, not sure if its a coincidence or linked to the pitch not being dry?......but now to sort the rabbits again!!!!!

We have the contractors booked in for tomorrow (Tues 1st), off the back of being awarded a 6 year tapered grant from the FF which totals an input of £18,000 over the next six years (£13k from them and £5k from us). With the local quarry now not providing sports sand but looking after building merchants we have decided to try hollow coring to produced some material. We will use the cores to restore levels by drag matting them around. Contractors will be starting at 8:30am tomorrow to get both pitches done, over seeded and then vertidrained, before a little rain on Wednesday morning. I will update on how it goes tomorrow unless anyone wants to pop along to VP and take a look, you are more than welcome.

We have spent time lately bringing the height of cut down from 35/40 mm to 20-25 mm, lot s of cutting and gradual decline in height. Today we harrowed the pitches, in two directions to drag out any dead material and collected with a box mower. So pitches are looking good, tan is being topped up too (hahaha) and the pitches will hopefully improve further with the input tomorrow, lets wait and see.

Older pitch was looking good yesterday shame our U16 boys didn't play much football on it.

Best wishes to all

Mark 

Screenshot_20210531-225534_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210531-225505_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210531-225443_Gallery.jpg