Cornwall Football Forum

Massey's Musings on Helston Athletic and the SW Peninsula League as we approach the mid season

Think Mass is like marmite to the football folk of Cornwall. I personally think he’s great for the game down here and I’m always interested hearing what he has to say, always enjoy bumping into him at games around the county, knows the game inside out. I did think Mass was getting a little over familiar with his mug at times though during the interview 🤔😳😂😂😂

Can see there have been Nearly 500 views but only two comments - and one from Rappo who is always polite👍

I watched this and held back on putting any comments on here. I am (was) a Steve Massey fan - he HAS been there and done it and has the money to make his footballing dreams a reality.

BUT

To slag off other coaches and players, for me is a big step too far. He has bought what he considers a good team and they are and will win the league. But player for player (imo) there are only 2/3 who would make a SWPL ‘dream team’, if local clubs could afford them- they are just a squad without weaker players - which most others have. 

I do fear that Helston are making no friends (outside of the club), and when they progress, which they will, they will have a very limited fan base - a bit like Truro. 

Before it’s said - I am not a Helston hater or jealous, just personal views and a supporter of local football. 

2 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

Can see there have been Nearly 500 views but only two comments - and one from Rappo who is always polite👍

I watched this and held back on putting any comments on here. I am (was) a Steve Massey fan - he HAS been there and done it and has the money to make his footballing dreams a reality.

BUT

To slag off other coaches and players, for me is a big step too far. He has bought what he considers a good team and they are and will win the league. But player for player (imo) there are only 2/3 who would make a SWPL ‘dream team’, if local clubs could afford them- they are just a squad without weaker players - which most others have. 

I do fear that Helston are making no friends (outside of the club), and when they progress, which they will, they will have a very limited fan base - a bit like Truro. 

Before it’s said - I am not a Helston hater or jealous, just personal views and a supporter of local football. 

Was there any mention of the cup drubbings or changing room bust ups ?

2 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

BUT

Any club in Cornwall will always have a limited fan base because football supporters are very parochial. No matter how successful Truro become nobody outside of Truro really cares enough to go and support them. Helston will suffer the same fate should they rise through the leagues. Its just the way things are.

Also the very fact he’s paying for these interviews therefore commissioning his own interviews makes it worse.  He’s gone on to mention how some teams don’t deserve to be in the league also. 

ive seen Helston play. I wasn’t actually that impressed.  Let’s see where they are once they have actually played someone. 

3 hours ago, mattelot said:

Was there any mention of the cup drubbings or changing room bust ups ?

There are still 2 or 3 short videos in this series to come - the next one “on the cup drubbings” is embargoed until after the Porthleven match.

9 minutes ago, Hetty said:

Also the very fact he’s paying for these interviews therefore commissioning his own interviews makes it worse.  He’s gone on to mention how some teams don’t deserve to be in the league also. 

ive seen Helston play. I wasn’t actually that impressed.  Let’s see where they are once they have actually played someone. 

The truth is that it was my suggestion to do a 45 minute interview at the halfway stage of the season with Steve Massey. I have a work experience student with me this holiday and I wanted to give him the chance to sit in on this one and then to do one of his own with Steve on video marketing of a local football club for me. Part of my brief and for my own professional development is to do a behind the scenes of Helston FC this season.

3 hours ago, le boss said:

Any club in Cornwall will always have a limited fan base because football supporters are very parochial. No matter how successful Truro become nobody outside of Truro really cares enough to go and support them. Helston will suffer the same fate should they rise through the leagues. Its just the way things are.

An interesting set of observations. If you are right - and yes, I have worked with Truro City FC as you will know - what does that say about the general mentality or mind set of your average Cornwall football supporter? Does it apply to the Cornish rugby world? The re-branding of the Cornish Pirates seems to have worked. I imagine the crowds will swell when they start to play Premiership rugby in the SfC in Truro. You can count me in.! 

6 hours ago, Bobjfh said:

BUT

Thanks for your reaction to the videos. I was getting worried about the lack of engagement. Anyone  who knows me knows that I love debates and arguments; it was my trademark when I was a teacher- ask Glynn Hooper!

Steve, by mentioning the Penzances, Wendrons and the like was not slagging them off. He was merely making the point that the reorganisation of the league has led to a lowering of the standard of football and big score lines between the top sides and those at the lower end of the league. That’s how I heard it. What do the rest of you think?

2 hours ago, St Darren said:

You’re unlikely to criticise when the man in question is paying you to do a job

You are right. I am not going to criticise Steve publicly; but not for the reason you suggest, but because he had become a very good friend. Part of the deal is that we’re not “Helston TV” like the couple of other clubs who use video at this level. I still retain my independence as a football videographer and we are open and frank with each other when we have to be.  I don’t suppose the Falmouth Town video (coming out on Boxing Day) will be music to Steve’s ears. He won’t be glad all over, but it is part of the unfolding story that I am seeking to capture for the club this season.

11 hours ago, Piran said:

Thanks for your reaction to the videos. I was getting worried about the lack of engagement. Anyone  who knows me knows that I love debates and arguments; it was my trademark when I was a teacher- ask Glynn Hooper!

Steve, by mentioning the Penzances, Wendrons and the like was not slagging them off. He was merely making the point that the reorganisation of the league has led to a lowering of the standard of football and big score lines between the top sides and those at the lower end of the league. That’s how I heard it. What do the rest of you think?

Piran - he was very specific about how poor players were and if they were any good they would be playing at a higher level. Furthermore he mentioned about the ‘vanity’ of other coaches and managers trying to play a style of football they were not good enough to do. It’s a matter of opinions and he may have some merit in his comments - but seriously he should keep his comments to his team not to disrespect others who are doing their best. 
I have been a follower and fan of your posts and videos but won’t bother anymore if it involves SM- sorry. 

12 hours ago, Piran said:

There are still 2 or 3 short videos in this series to come - the next one “on the cup drubbings” is embargoed until after the Porthleven match.

The truth is that it was my suggestion to do a 45 minute interview at the halfway stage of the season with Steve Massey. I have a work experience student with me this holiday and I wanted to give him the chance to sit in on this one and then to do one of his own with Steve on video marketing of a local football club for me. Part of my brief and for my own professional development is to do a behind the scenes of Helston FC this season.

An interesting set of observations. If you are right - and yes, I have worked with Truro City FC as you will know - what does that say about the general mentality or mind set of your average Cornwall football supporter? Does it apply to the Cornish rugby world? The re-branding of the Cornish Pirates seems to have worked. I imagine the crowds will swell when they start to play Premiership rugby in the SfC in Truro. You can count me in.! 

Think you might be missing my point - by parochial I mean that people support their own home-town clubs regardless of the success of teams in Cornwall in the higher leagues. If it were different then the Cornish team that was playing the highest standard would have all the support which clearly is not the case. I watch with interest as Cornish teams progress in the national cups but don't give two hoots if they win or lose unless its my home town. That is not to say I dislike any other team but I certainly wouldn't go and support them and I think that might be the Cornish supporter in a nut shell. 

With regards to all the Massey bashing on here - the irony isn't lost on me that some are people who have in the past played for him and have been "looked after" are at the front of the queue but as soon as they are no longer "funded" by him, he is the worst in the world. Footballers aren't known for the cerebral skills now are they?? 

Keep up the good work with your videos - if people don't like them they don't have to watch them

18 minutes ago, Hetty said:

I’m pretty sure if the other managers started going public about how they feel about Helston and their manager, steve would be the first to complain.  I think he would be better off to shut his mouth and go about his business quietly. 

Perhaps you should practice what you preach lol

I have no issues with Mr Massey paying whoever, whatever but the self promotion does get a bit tiresome. Playing at Helston must be great as you’re probably treated like a pro which IMO is what Mr Massey is trying to cling onto for himself. 

I think in one of Deacs podcast Mr Massey slates the ambition of Cornish football, that doesn’t help his cause. The majority of clubs run on a shoe string budget rather than have a millionaire as someone to help 

1 hour ago, Bobjfh said:

Piran - he was very specific about how poor players were and if they were any good they would be playing at a higher level. Furthermore he mentioned about the ‘vanity’ of other coaches and managers trying to play a style of football they were not good enough to do. It’s a matter of opinions and he may have some merit in his comments - but seriously he should keep his comments to his team not to disrespect others who are doing their best. 
I have been a follower and fan of your posts and videos but won’t bother anymore if it involves SM- sorry. 

Ok I take your point. Steve didn’t mention any coach or player by name I don’t think. Has the standard of football gone down this season as a result of the reorganisation at Step 6 in your opinion? I don’t know as I was filming Step 2 last season.

28 minutes ago, St Darren said:

I have no issues with Mr Massey paying whoever, whatever but the self promotion does get a bit tiresome. Playing at Helston must be great as you’re probably treated like a pro which IMO is what Mr Massey is trying to cling onto for himself. 

I think in one of Deacs podcast Mr Massey slates the ambition of Cornish football, that doesn’t help his cause. The majority of clubs run on a shoe string budget rather than have a millionaire as someone to help 

What is wrong with raising the bar, having ambition and trying to be as professional as one can be? I have only been in the county since 2003 but since then there have not been many Cornish clubs who has won the league and taken promotion. Yes you need a benefactor or a sound commercial foundation in such situations. A lot of Cornish folk watched Truro City at Wembley and the Valley.

19 minutes ago, Piran said:

Ok I take your point. Steve didn’t mention any coach or player by name I don’t think. Has the standard of football gone down this season as a result of the reorganisation at Step 6 in your opinion? I don’t know as I was filming Step 2 last season.

What is wrong with raising the bar, having ambition and trying to be as professional as one can be? I have only been in the county since 2003 but since then there have not been many Cornish clubs who has won the league and taken promotion. Yes you need a benefactor or a sound commercial foundation in such situations. A lot of Cornish folk watched Truro City at Wembley and the Valley.

And where are those supporters now?

1 hour ago, le boss said:

Think you might be missing my point - by parochial I mean that people support their own home-town clubs regardless of the success of teams in Cornwall in the higher leagues. If it were different then the Cornish team that was playing the highest standard would have all the support which clearly is not the case. I watch with interest as Cornish teams progress in the national cups but don't give two hoots if they win or lose unless its my home town. That is not to say I dislike any other team but I certainly wouldn't go and support them and I think that might be the Cornish supporter in a nut shell

Correct 

51 minutes ago, St Darren said:

Its not all self promotion - these videos are at the request of someone trying to forge a career I believe so maybe your opinion is a little harsh. I don't know Mr Massey personally so I only speak as I see. I get he has rubbed people up the wrong way but he is not the first and certainly wont be the last. What is sad to read on here and on Twitter is ex players who for whatever reason have moved on calling him all the names under the sun when only five minutes ago they were happy to take reported large sums of money from him - short memories and little dignity in my opinion.

On 26/12/2019 at 21:56, mattelot said:

😁 might be better if you changed the forum heading to masseys ammusings  Piran. 😁😂🤣

Watched this and actually loved the first part..pre interview. Our song "Town all over" blasting out  with the F-Troop rocking after our 2 cup wins over Helston. So can't knock these videos at all as they do capture memorable moments. Keep it up I say, it's a great watch. 

8 hours ago, Jeff Chambers said:

Watched this and actually loved the first part..pre interview. Our song "Town all over" blasting out  with the F-Troop rocking after our 2 cup wins over Helston. So can't knock these videos at all as they do capture memorable moments. Keep it up I say, it's a great watch. 

Thank you Jeff