Cornwall Football Forum

Players signing for two clubs

Just interested to see other peoples opinions on players signing on for more than one club, it seems many players will sign combo forms for one club and trelawney forms for another even though the combo club has a reserves in the trelawney league ? Seems to me (from what im hearing) its becoming more frequent throughout local football, im interested to see other peoples opinions on the matter (especially club representatives).

Some people find it clicky in other sides, others can't get into their clubs combo side or aren't given a chance. Some like to play for friends/managers etc.

Personally, I don't see a problem with it so long as the players are happy (if they're happy, they continue playing so we retain them in the grassroots game, which is what it's all about now). So long as they aren't breaking any rules, its all good.

There will always be a massive side of me that thinks "If you sign for a club, you should play for that club and not just a team". But, that's not how it is for everyone, they all have their reasons :) I've personally never signed for one club and played for another team in the same season. I'm not a fan of it.

Should 100% only be allowed to sign for one club....instead of signing different league papers.

a player could potentially sign for 3 clubs! :wacko:

does it not make the signing of player difficult? do you have to make a 7 day approach to every club a player is signed onto?

2 hours ago, B_D said:

See, that's just necky. That's what can cause a rift.

@Mr Mo Not if the clubs are in different leagues. For example, you could sign for a team in the Duchy, Trelawny, Combo and SWPL etc. Without diggimgbtoo deep, I'm certain that you can do that up until the moment you sign a contract with a team (Rule 8.a.i. of our rules: Contract players are not permitted in this Competition with the exception of those Players who are registered under Contract with the same Club who have a team operating at Steps 1 to 6 of the National League System). You only need the seven day approach if going for a player in the same league at our level. However, one factor which will affect the player is his eligibility to play for a lower ranked side as he will be classed as a "higher ranked player" as soon as he plays for a team in a higher league.

Sorry Dave but that's not correct.  FA Rule C2a, the bulk of which is reproduced as Trelawny Rule 8i, is very clear.  The first bit states that players who are not under a written contract to a club may be registered with a number of clubs at any time.

The second relevant part states: 

'i. During the current season any Club wishing to approach a Player known to be registered with or having played for any other Club must give to the secretary of each such Club, seven days’ formal written notice of the intention to approach the Player. Formal written notice of approach need be given by........'

We have this problem at redruth not because they don't want to play for the reserves but the reserves can only play 2 senior players so they look elsewhere for game time. I do agree if you sign for a club you only play for that club.that would mean changing the registration rules in cornwall

Couple of points here - I think below SWPL all registrations are per season, so at this time of year a club can talk to anybody, I believe at SWPL and above, even outside of season clubs are supposed to apply the 7day rule as registrations rolls on each year unless a transfer takes place  

I can't really see an issue with the topic raised by  Strickly1981 - players sign for a specific team / manager / standard, who they then choose to sign for as 'cover' is really a matter for them and usually based around mates.

There is hardly a club in the County that operates under the premis that you have to sign register and play for each team - and adhere to it, whether playing up or down - its down to players, especially when playing 'down'. 

21 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

You sign for one club and that should be it.

We had the bizarre situation of one of our first team players playing for us on the Saturday  then playing against our reserve side on the Tuesday (!)

Absolutely totally stupid.

Hope first team never picked him again playing against own club ludicrous 

We had a situation where a good young player who had played for our combination side all season then played the last game of the season for our local rivals in trelawney premier which helped them gain promotion to the combination league ! Agree or disagree its a very hard situation to address as a club.

9 hours ago, Stricky1981 said:

its a very hard situation to address as a club.

Doesn't have to be if a club is concerned about it, they take view that all players sign for all teams.

If they don't insist, they can't complain on what might happen during the season!

It's not a recent development, but has been going on for years and years.

I did it myself when player/manager at St Agnes, one example being Mark Rapsey. He signed for me in the Combo, while was playing South Western League elsewhere.

I admit being surprised because his SWL team were also in the Combo, but their loss was the Aggies gain! ?

42 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

It's not a recent development, but has been going on for years and years.

Spot on Dave and it won't change.  The legal technicalities and FA regulations of it center around whether a player is under contract or is a non contract player.  A non contract player can sign for as many clubs as he wants (but not in the same league) subject to the 7 days approach once he has signed for the first club.  The question was asked about 3 years ago about registering for one club and one club only.  A very firm 'no' came back.  A contracted player on the other hand can only play for the teams of that club unless loaned under the arrangements in the Standardised Rules.  

Got to be honest I think that season Dave has mentioned I signed for Mark Jenkins at Barnstaple in the Western League, for Trevor Mewton at Falmouth in the South Western League, Dave at Aggie, John Peters at Nanpean and I think even Malabar in the old Falmouth/Helston League!!! Back then the SWL season used to finish about 3 weeks to a month before the Combo and East Cornwall so could see no problem helping out some old friends with a mounting fixture list at the back end of a long season and a chance to add a few more goals to the tally!! Agree with Older though in the fact I would never play against my clubs reserve side, that's just disrespectful in my opinion. But could never see a problem helping out some old friends to be honest!?! As Steve said, the rule is there, it's up to you if you want to use it or no? Was always gutted at the end of the season anyway so always appreciated a few more games. Made the gap between finishing a season and the dreaded pre season training not too bad with a bit of tennis chucked in!! ⚽️?