Cornwall Football Forum

NEWQUAY VS GODOLPHIN

Big game at Godolphin way today should be a decent crowd  hope its a good game going for a 1-0 win to G . Looks like Newquay will stay in the league which is great but cant help feeling sorry for St Blazey seen so many good games there over the years and met some lovely people there hope they stay up someway or another and rebuild the team . Dont forget 12pm start at Godolphin Way

Back from Godophin way early after the match was abandoned with the G winning 3 -0 but the result still stands Jack Scott and Kyran Parker both go up to head the ball and a nasty clash of heads results in both players receiving treatment hope both players will be alright .Ok on to the match i think the 3-0 scoreline doesnt really reflect the match i thought Newquay played very well no doubt i will be told im talking crap , the G went 1-0 up with a og from Sean Middleton there 2nd goal was a shot from Luke Rigby that wrong footed Nathan Prentice and the 3rd was a tap in from Tom Shepherd after the Newquay defence decided to play statues . Newquay where really good in the 1st lots of niggly fouls going on particulary a nasty 1 on Danny O,Hagan which i dont know how the linesman missed but also the G should of had a clear pen but the ref booked Alex Cole for diving which was wrong . My man of match for Newquay goes to Sean Middleton and the G for Luke RIGBY who didnt stop running al lafternoon but it was close between him and Ash Bradshaw Thought the ref let of niggly fouls go today and missed some decisions overall it was a entertaining game but thought Newquay where unlucky and the 3-0 result does not reflect on the way they played . Game abandomed with about 10 mins to play result stands hope the 2 players involved in the clash of heads are ok and can have a good Easter

Pretty spot on from 100%. Thought Newquay were the better side 1st half going down the slope and could have been 2-0 or 3-0 up before the inevitable happened a few minutes before the break with a big deflection summing up the their luck which they've had for almost all the season!! Another deflected goal although a great strike which might have been on its way in anyway put the G in a great position which they never looked like relinquishing after that and scored a third within 10 minutes to kill it off. Really nasty clash of heads which fortunately you don't see that often but makes you feel sick when you do. Hope both lads are ok tonight although no doubt a bit sore. Long wait for the ambulance and great quick work by the physios to get to the players and treat them asap. Must say Newquay are really lucky to have a top guy like Ross McOnie in these instances who has had a busy time with nasty injuries lately, a real professional. Godolphin Way a really nice set up these days and great to see where the club has come. Just need a new set of box nets for £120 on Ebay and it will look plush! ??⚽

Only another 4 more games then Newquay can put this shambles of a season behind them & try to improve in the summer. Extremely fortunate to get a reprieve with their league status. After a pasting yesterday at neighbours Godolphin it shows how the football in the town is divided, between the better lads & then the Newquay guys. A club who really are in the doldrums, good luck in turning your fortunes around as  Mt.Wise is & always has been a great place for football with wonderful supporters who turn out week by week regardless of the standard they are watching

7 minutes ago, leedsunited said:

Only another 4 more games then Newquay can put this shambles of a season behind them & try to improve in the summer. Extremely fortunate to get a reprieve with their league status. After a pasting yesterday at neighbours Godolphin it shows how the football in the town is divided, between the better lads & then the Newquay guys. A club who really are in the doldrums, good luck in turning your fortunes around as  Mt.Wise is & always has been a great place for football with wonderful supporters who turn out week by week regardless of the standard they are watching

So where do u think it's all gone wrong then Leeds?how would u change/improve Newquay? Be interesting to c ur thoughts!

Good question David, firstly Happy Easter to you & yours. Can't possibly answer that question as my views & opinions are only made up of the 3 times Bodmin have played Newquay this season & the 6/7 times I have seen them play midweek or when Bodmin have not been fixtured. Ex Bodmin legend Danny 'Hitman' O'Hagan probably best person to ask, although to ask publicly on a forum is not very professional. What's your thoughts davegrose on the Restormal football clubs in general?

Keith, Leeds has been sticking the boot in on Newquay all season, pretends to care but he's loving it really! Think he got sacked there or got asked to leave about 30 years ago before the gentleman Ray Nicholls took over and brought the club success and a bit of decorum to the dug out and not a tirade of swear words which he still contributes to today in his Bodmin dug out. Doubt if he would still be glory hunting hanging around the dug out if Bodmin were in the same situation as Newquay with no competitive budget and having to rely on mainly young players. He can never resist a little dig, still bitter I guess? I watched the game yesterday and despite their "pasting" Newquay were the better side first half. Always try to watch them when I can't make a Sticker game and they've improved a lot over the season, and can compete with most teams outside of the top 6 who are a different class unfortunately. The youngsters will only get better and with a touch more experience with the likes of Danny OHagan I think they might be ok next season. Glad they've got a second chance and hope Blazey can come back stronger in the future. Two great old clubs that deserve some respect through the hard times.

If Newquay had a fully fit Sean Middleton playing all season they wouldnt of been at the bottom he was really good for Newquay vs G yesterday until he went off ,Newquay need to sort there defence out really just keep Danny O Hagan and get some more experiance players in and hang on to Jack Bray Evans if they can Cam Turner maybe a couple of others but Luke Whelden has got to go hes just not up to it anymore Newquay willbe a different team next season with about 7 different players they need someone like the GS Ollie PINNEL in there defence because they are a shambles really and the amount of goals shows that sorry Newquay but the goals against column doesnt lie

According to rumours Wheldon and Midsy are finishing at the end of the season, Wheldon techically is still one of the best strikers in the league but with this current Newquay team his desire isn't there. Newquay poor yestaday, bad control, passes going astray and the set pieces from Evans were awful, feel as if it will be years before Newquay have a team capable of competing, this rebuilding process with local players should've been done years ago.

1 hour ago, Cornishfan74 said:

According to rumours Wheldon and Midsy are finishing at the end of the season, Wheldon techically is still one of the best strikers in the league but with this current Newquay team his desire isn't there. Newquay poor yestaday, bad control, passes going astray and the set pieces from Evans were awful, feel as if it will be years before Newquay have a team capable of competing, this rebuilding process with local players should've been done years ago.

That's what I have seen in the 9/10 games I have seen them this season, any side that concedes over 155 goals with 4 games to play is seriously seriously lacking in this division. Anyone who doesn't agree is either a player or someone who is connected with a player trying to paint a better picture. What ever happened to Jimmy Hilton? Now there is an old, strict task master who certainly knows his football, does he still coach anywhere?

The worst thing Newquay did was letting Jim Hilton leave the club. When Jim was there he was doing the 1st team job as well as 3-4 youth teams at the same time. He played local players, some of which are now at Godolphin and players played for him without any pay packet, he gave youngsters the opportunity to play men's football. Also at that period Newquay thrived by having 4 senior teams as well as multiple youth teams, not a coincidence that now that he's not there Newquay are struggling massively with just the 1st team and reserves. I believe he is now managing St Mawgan as well as being involved in the youth side of things.

Jim was always respected by the committee and supporters of Newquay and it was with a sad heart he left the club over 

differences with the youth committee, we would always welcome him back in any capacity.

On a plus note Jack Scott is out of hospital after having 15 stitches in his head wound and all at Newquay wish him a speedy recovery

as we do Kieron Parker the Godolphin player also injured.

On Saturday, April 15, 2017 at 10:02, Sticker Forever said:

Keith, Leeds has been sticking the boot in on Newquay all season, pretends to care but he's loving it really! Think he got sacked there or got asked to leave about 30 years ago before the gentleman Ray Nicholls took over and brought the club success and a bit of decorum to the dug out and not a tirade of swear words which he still contributes to today in his Bodmin dug out. Doubt if he would still be glory hunting hanging around the dug out if Bodmin were in the same situation as Newquay with no competitive budget and having to rely on mainly young players. He can never resist a little dig, still bitter I guess? I watched the game yesterday and despite their "pasting" Newquay were the better side first half. Always try to watch them when I can't make a Sticker game and they've improved a lot over the season, and can compete with most teams outside of the top 6 who are a different class unfortunately. The youngsters will only get better and with a touch more experience with the likes of Danny OHagan I think they might be ok next season. Glad they've got a second chance and hope Blazey can come back stronger in the future. Two great old clubs that deserve some respect through the hard times.

Wasn't he also the spongeman / physio at st blazey when Trevor Newton was there ?