Cornwall Football Forum

Combo Results and Table - W/E 16/17th March

Can you post your results, scorers and attendances on this thread please or text me on 07597907549 with any details.

Thanks

Cornwall Combination League

16th March 2013

Falmouth Athletic P-P Troon

Hayle Reserves (Sam Charlton, Ben Hocking) 2-3 Holmans SC (Jason Blight, Adam Selley, Aaron Meredith)

Att- 35

Ludgvan P-P Newquay Reserves

Pendeen Rovers (Glen Carew, Gary Matthews) 2-2 Mullion (Rob Carey, Allan Thomas)

Att- 50

RNAS Culdrose 0-2 St Day (Chris Tolley 2)

Att- 15

St Agnes P-P Penryn Athletic Reserves

St Ives Town (Joel McWilliams, Ryan Bushby, Jowan May, Sam Twyford) 4-2 Falmouth Town Reserves (Andrew Miles, Connor Edison)

Att- 35

Wendron United P-P Goonhavern Athletic

Supplementary Cup Preliminary Round (2.30pm)

Porthleven Reserves P-P St Just

17th March 2013

League Cup Semi-final

Illogan RBL (Simon Ellis 2, Dominic Pullen) 3-2 Perranwell (Mike Brewer, OG)

Att - 181

POS TEAM PL W D L F A GD PTS

1 ILLOGAN RBL 24 20 2 2 74 27 47 62
2 ST DAY 26 19 3 4 84 35 49 60
3 LUDGVAN 25 16 2 7 74 42 32 50
4 ST IVES TOWN 22 14 7 1 64 29 35 49
5 PERRANWELL 23 14 3 6 64 34 30 45
6 PENDEEN ROVERS 24 13 6 4 63 37 26 45
7 MULLION 27 12 4 11 70 73 -3 40
8 WENDRON UNITED 24 11 6 7 51 41 10 39
9 ST AGNES 23 11 5 7 51 37 14 38
10 GOONHAVERN ATHLETIC 23 11 4 8 52 40 12 37
11 FALMOUTH TOWN RESERVES 26 10 4 12 63 69 -6 34
12 PENRYN ATHLETIC RESERVES 23 10 2 11 47 52 -5 32
13 ST JUST 24 9 3 12 49 53 -4 30
14 RNAS CULDROSE 24 6 7 11 53 60 -7 25
15 TROON 23 7 2 14 49 58 -9 23
16 FALMOUTH ATHLETIC 23 7 2 14 44 82 -38 23
17 HAYLE RESERVES 27 5 4 18 36 80 -44 19
18 PORTHLEVEN RESERVES 28 5 3 20 41 93 -52 18
19 NEWQUAY RESERVES 24 4 4 16 37 65 -28 16
20 HOLMAN SC 27 3 3 21 32 91 -59 12

Pendeen 2-2 Mullion

If you looked at the match statistics for this game you would have thought it was all rough and tumble but it was not. Lots of petty fouls, three scored penalties and a couple of dodgy off-sides.

29 free-kicks, a 17-4 corner count in Pendeen's favour still doesn't tell you how the game went.

Basically, Mullion tried to keep the ball on the ground with a lot of passing, mainly because they can't head for toffee.

Pendeen, who were strong in the tackle played the long ball time and again and only tried to pass it in the last few minutes, and only then it was their front 3-4 players.

Every time Mullion punted the ball they lost it.

One headed goal from Pendeen, and a free one at that was poor return for 17 corners.

Both keepers had to make finger-tip flicks to knock the ball over the bar.

Most of Pendeen's corners came in the second half when they had the wind at their backs.

Scoring

0-1 25mins A penalty to Mullion scored by Rob Carey. Player upended.

1-1 60mins A corner on the left, over to middle of the box. Free 8yd header by Glen Carew

2-1 76mins A penalty by Gary Matthews after a soft tackle.

2-2 78mins A penalty by Alan Thomas after another up-end of a player

Facts

Corners: Pendeen 17-4 Mullion

Fouls conceded: Pendeen 14-15 Mullion

Attendance - 50

Mullion were given a get out of jail card by the ref.

Fal ath v Troon called off waterlogged pitch.....!! Unreal

Terrible pitch even at Junior standard.Richard - dont really know why you feel the need to comment on the pitch but what do you expect from a council pitch that is played on all year round??? -even during the summer it has classes on it and kids from the local area kicking about. No time for it to recover ever!

Tony does a great job just to get the games on at the moment in very difficult circumstances. i for one know that the surface is not the best but it is no different to some of the other pitches we have played on this season.

Just had a brief phone conversation with a furious mr grant and I totally agree with everything he says! He's won manager of the month on four occasions and has to work with the resources that he's given! Mr Chown you wouldn't like it if someone slated carharracks pitch

Agreed your groundsman has his work cut out down there,a thankless job groundsman is,I did however happen to be down Falmouth this morning around 12ish and the pitch was def playable,I know the caretakers etc have to look after the pitch but our combo pitch had a trew 3 game played on it today,and our pitch at 1pm was in worse condition than down there,I know it's not your fault Ian so don't take this personally,but at this stage of the season with the amount of games that need to be played,pitches in the condition yours was today are fine,councils need to loosen that screw a bit and get games played,groundsmen are basically saving themselves work mon-fri,but infact they should be working their asses off mon-fri to ensure if the pitch and weathers touch and go come sat the game go's ahead this time of the year,we had x5/6 out today anyway so turned out fine!! Lol, see you on a tue evening no doubt.

Agreed your groundsman has his work cut out down there,a thankless job groundsman is,I did however happen to be down Falmouth this morning around 12ish and the pitch was def playable,I know the caretakers etc have to look after the pitch but our combo pitch had a trew 3 game played on it today,and our pitch at 1pm was in worse condition than down there,I know it's not your fault Ian so don't take this personally,but at this stage of the season with the amount of games that need to be played,pitches in the condition yours was today are fine,councils need to loosen that screw a bit and get games played,groundsmen are basically saving themselves work mon-fri,but infact they should be working their asses off mon-fri to ensure if the pitch and weathers touch and go come sat the game go's ahead this time of the year,we had x5/6 out today anyway so turned out fine!! Lol, see you on a tue evening no doubt.

i went down there this morning around 11 am and there was standing water in the top goal and all along the near side of the pitch - the last thing we want to do is be playing 3 or 4 times a week in May so it really was a last resort to call it off. To be fair as well the heaveans opened in falmouth around 12,30 so if it was playable at 11 am it would not have been around 3pm.

I know you didnt mean it to be personal Jamie and i didnt take it that way cause we are all in the same boat, what i did object to was the comment in response to your quote. We all know that it is a junior pitch arguabley with a junior team although we have taken some very well earned points of late and upset some of the more bigger name teams but the facilities now on offer are top notch!

I expect it will be a tuesday night game with a silly early kick off bt look forward to welcoming your boys in the near future.

Cheers

Granty

Guest BenTheYeti

A famous victory for Holmans and no Pitty to tell us about it!

Ben,Pitty does have a capable assistant who seems to making a good fist of it.

Ah yes, the very capable Ben Minns! I had forgotten and I apologise in advance of his match report!

Hayle fc 2 vs Holmans fc 3

Holmans goalscorers, Jason Blight, Adam selley, Aaron 'emo kid' Meredith

in true Holmans style we turned up to the game to day with a make shift squad with the sad news that simon lavis will be out for a few weeks with a calf in jury suffered in last weeks draw with portleven, after finding this news out we decided to wind a few players up by saying there have to fill in at centre half with out inspirational skipper jason saying " if im at centre back were gonna lose, i dont want to play there, and then him starting to compare himself to bobby charlton and paul scholes trying to make out that he is the engine that keeps us ticking over.

Once the team was announced and jason realised i was winding him up we got out on the pitch where we had to the respect walk out onto the pitch and shake hands infront of the 12 fans their watching, Hayle started off the better team and had a couple nice early moves but failed to test me or as pitty would say me the flying potato sack in the holmans goal, and their best chance fell in the first half fell to there striker who failed to put the ball into an open goal after a delicious cross off former holmans player dan scorer. After the 20 minute mark holmans started to play a bit better and then adam selley who finally had a chance of playing up front in his preferred postion so he tells us, managed to run down the side of the defence and managed to pick out aaron meredith back post who for some reason must of felt sorry for hayle as he decided to put the ball wide of the open goal in front of him instead of scoring, after that holmans started to ask a few more questions on hayle and around the 37th minute were rewarded when jason blight found the ball at his feet around 20 yards out and tried his luck and the ball somehow went into the goal leaving the hayle keeper standing and making jason do his aguero impression thinking that he had just won the league or something. Holmans were on a high for the final part of the half and charlie tasker who was able to spare sometime away from making another youtube video linked up well with adam selley who delivered another ball for aaron meredith who went to header a ball before realizing it might mess his hair up so closed his eyes and decided not to put his head on the end of the cross and let hayle go into the break only 1-0 down.

At the start of the second half holmans continued from where they left off and were denied a penalty by referee andre howes (who might i add had a brilliant game) after what seemed to be a push into the back of adam selley who looked like a white drogba going down, holmans still putting the pressure on started to become a bit to relaxed, and from this hayle then started to grow into the game again, hayle then found themselves level after we decided not to challenge a second ball after we had cleared the initial danger and the ball fell to the hayle winger who crossed to the striker who done what aaron couldnt first half and score into the empty net.

holmans then had to start playing and went threw a bit of a wobble then paul billings went on a mazy run on the left hand side and managed to pull the ball back to adam selley who was brought down for one of the most obvious penalties of the season, Adam then dusted himself off and coolly slotted the ball into the bottom right corner of the goal leaving the keeper rooted to the spot. within a couple minutes of this holmans had won the ball back and paul billings yet again found the ball at his feet and managed to slot the ball into aaron meredith who must of remembered the ball goes into goal and managed to place the ball as close to the keeper as he could without the keeper managing to get it to make it 3-1 to holmans. Hayle made some changes and with about 20 minutes to go and went on to hit the bar after this with me jumping across the goal shouting safe then saying thank f**k for that and saying i had it covered, then with 12 minutes left hayle were given a chance to get back into the game when a penalty was given for what was a spitting image of the penalty we were turned down for earlier on in the half and the hayle player hit it into the top left side of the goal giving me know chance even tho i had gone the right way, after this it was back to the wall for holmans as hayle went on to hit the bar once more from a header of a corner and nick webber manged to put a 4 yard volley into a open goal on to the outside of the post which was lucky for us, holmans did manage to create one more chance before the end with jason blight having a free header which he put back across goal missing the target, but hayle then had a chance to equalise when there striker ran clean through and hit his shot across goal which was saved by me and the player following up lucky enough put his header back across goal and into my arms as i was scrambling across my goal hoping i could prevent the equaliser.

the match the fizzled out in the final few minutes and the full time whistle went much to the delight of holmans who picked up the 3rd win of the season and also meaning that we do double over hayle,

on behalf of everyone from holmans i would like to thank hayle for the hospitality after the match and wish them all the best for the rest of the season, next week holmans entertain falmouth town at blaythorns could this win today be the start of the holmans great escape....

Ben you are doing an amazing job in my absence as I knew you would as you are a truly great loyal clubman and I applaud the way you have adapted to me dropping you in it....no one person makes a club as you and Selley and Tasky are showing......Really made up and so proud of the fantastic effort from the Blaythorne boys today and although 4000 miles away hope they are celebrating in true Holmans tradition!!!

I can tell you for a fact I am and probably should really go to bed due to the 4 hour time difference and copius amounts of Savvanah Dry!!!

After the Liverpool & Rugby results I needed a bit of a lift and this is without doubt the best news I could get...really chuffed to get a valuable double home & away win over a talented young Hayle side.

Still a big push for Holmans to escape the bottom two but gr8 to see a double figure point league table but still a few away from the holy grail of 26!!!!. Maybe the slightly chubby girl with the McDonalds fixation not quite grabbing the Karaoke mike at the White Hart just yet!!

Hayle fc 2 vs Holmans fc 3

Holmans goalscorers, Jason Blight, Adam selley, Aaron 'emo kid' Meredith

in true Holmans style we turned up to the game to day with a make shift squad with the sad news that simon lavis will be out for a few weeks with a calf in jury suffered in last weeks draw with portleven, after finding this news out we decided to wind a few players up by saying there have to fill in at centre half with out inspirational skipper jason saying " if im at centre back were gonna lose, i dont want to play there, and then him starting to compare himself to bobby charlton and paul scholes trying to make out that he is the engine that keeps us ticking over.

Once the team was announced and jason realised i was winding him up we got out on the pitch where we had to the respect walk out onto the pitch and shake hands infront of the 12 fans their watching, Hayle started off the better team and had a couple nice early moves but failed to test me or as pitty would say me the flying potato sack in the holmans goal, and their best chance fell in the first half fell to there striker who failed to put the ball into an open goal after a delicious cross off former holmans player dan scorer. After the 20 minute mark holmans started to play a bit better and then adam selley who finally had a chance of playing up front in his preferred postion so he tells us, managed to run down the side of the defence and managed to pick out aaron meredith back post who for some reason must of felt sorry for hayle as he decided to put the ball wide of the open goal in front of him instead of scoring, after that holmans started to ask a few more questions on hayle and around the 37th minute were rewarded when jason blight found the ball at his feet around 20 yards out and tried his luck and the ball somehow went into the goal leaving the hayle keeper standing and making jason do his aguero impression thinking that he had just won the league or something. Holmans were on a high for the final part of the half and charlie tasker who was able to spare sometime away from making another youtube video linked up well with adam selley who delivered another ball for aaron meredith who went to header a ball before realizing it might mess his hair up so closed his eyes and decided not to put his head on the end of the cross and let hayle go into the break only 1-0 down.

At the start of the second half holmans continued from where they left off and were denied a penalty by referee andre howes (who might i add had a brilliant game) after what seemed to be a push into the back of adam selley who looked like a white drogba going down, holmans still putting the pressure on started to become a bit to relaxed, and from this hayle then started to grow into the game again, hayle then found themselves level after we decided not to challenge a second ball after we had cleared the initial danger and the ball fell to the hayle winger who crossed to the striker who done what aaron couldnt first half and score into the empty net.

holmans then had to start playing and went threw a bit of a wobble then paul billings went on a mazy run on the left hand side and managed to pull the ball back to adam selley who was brought down for one of the most obvious penalties of the season, Adam then dusted himself off and coolly slotted the ball into the bottom right corner of the goal leaving the keeper rooted to the spot. within a couple minutes of this holmans had won the ball back and paul billings yet again found the ball at his feet and managed to slot the ball into aaron meredith who must of remembered the ball goes into goal and managed to place the ball as close to the keeper as he could without the keeper managing to get it to make it 3-1 to holmans. Hayle made some changes and with about 20 minutes to go and went on to hit the bar after this with me jumping across the goal shouting safe then saying thank f**k for that and saying i had it covered, then with 12 minutes left hayle were given a chance to get back into the game when a penalty was given for what was a spitting image of the penalty we were turned down for earlier on in the half and the hayle player hit it into the top left side of the goal giving me know chance even tho i had gone the right way, after this it was back to the wall for holmans as hayle went on to hit the bar once more from a header of a corner and nick webber manged to put a 4 yard volley into a open goal on to the outside of the post which was lucky for us, holmans did manage to create one more chance before the end with jason blight having a free header which he put back across goal missing the target, but hayle then had a chance to equalise when there striker ran clean through and hit his shot across goal which was saved by me and the player following up lucky enough put his header back across goal and into my arms as i was scrambling across my goal hoping i could prevent the equaliser.

the match the fizzled out in the final few minutes and the full time whistle went much to the delight of holmans who picked up the 3rd win of the season and also meaning that we do double over hayle,

on behalf of everyone from holmans i would like to thank hayle for the hospitality after the match and wish them all the best for the rest of the season, next week holmans entertain falmouth town at blaythorns could this win today be the start of the holmans great escape....

with the two youngsters in the center of Hayles midfield its no wonder Hayle lost. With a combined age of 82 the holmans team had a field day. I know you need experience in a team but when one of them can't pass a ball 5 yards and the other spends half his life rolling around the floor like a great slug, the youngsters have no chance. time to hang up your boots oldies or drop down a few leagues, or better still take up gardening.(you could still wear your boots if it would make you feel better) can't wait for a new manager!!!!!

holmans midfield were the difference as they wanted the second ball more,we could have had a draw [if we had our shooting boots on]but holmans also had chances themselves ,we also had a side put together at last minute [as holmans]

so onwards hopefully both sides can retain combo football for next season. as to the comment about a new manager he will be in place soon ,but we must not forget what steve webber has done for us [see previous post] hayle has a very young team but maybe we need a couple more older heads to settle them down [already have andy james ] for whatever reason we have also lost some players this year some who could have done a good job for the combo side ,but the young players have taken their chance and will be better for the experience. and good work by our youth set up as several players have come from the youth leagues ,with hopefully more to follow over the coming seasons

holmans midfield were the difference as they wanted the second ball more,we could have had a draw [if we had our shooting boots on]but holmans also had chances themselves ,we also had a side put together at last minute [as holmans]

so onwards hopefully both sides can retain combo football for next season. as to the comment about a new manager he will be in place soon ,but we must not forget what steve webber has done for us [see previous post] hayle has a very young team but maybe we need a couple more older heads to settle them down [already have andy james ] for whatever reason we have also lost some players this year some who could have done a good job for the combo side ,but the young players have taken their chance and will be better for the experience. and good work by our youth set up as several players have come from the youth leagues ,with hopefully more to follow over the coming seasons

no one mentioned Steve Webber, he's a great bloke

Troons pitch had three games played on it yesterday????? Yet they have still only played 23 games this season unlike St Ives that have played only 22, With Perranwell,St Agnes,Goonhavern and Penryn all having played only 23 are all these pitches that bad? a massive 4 games behind the teams that have played the most games, when from Sept to Mid Feb we practically had constant rain I think all groundsman have done very well this season

Agree completely with the coments that St Just Perranwell and Goonhavern have not called games off this season however if Falmouth Ath pitch was that bad that they were always calling games off would it be fair to say that Falmouth would be way behind on games played? or have they switched all their home fixtures and now have 15 home games left? Totally confused as to the jmans post, surely Falmouth must have only called off the same amount as other clubs that have played 23 games or is it clubs don,t like the Falmouth area as Falmouth Town keep getting posts saying that their games are always being called off to early.