Cornwall Football Forum

Mark 'Rappo' Rapsey

Had my weekly text today from Rappo informing me of yet another hat-trick,87 goals away from retirement!

Has there been a more prolific goal scorer is Cornish football?? I doubt it very much.

And a top top man to boot! Keep up the good work Rappo

And there was me thinking I was the only one who got that text

Hope he has unlimited texts on his phone contract

Thanks Matt, i'm embarrased mate!! Much appreciated bud :) . Thanks for the kind words guys, always tried to enjoy the game and treat people how you want to be treated yourself, got to say i've made so many good friends through football from my old south western league days right through to the trelawny league. The memories and mates mean much more than all the cups and medals and i can't go anywhere from Penzance to Bristol without seeing someone i know for a football chat!!! Mrs loves it :( Must admit i'm looking forward to getting the 2000 goals if the knees can take the strain of all the pasties so i can go around the different grounds and catch up with some old mates and watch a few games on a saturday, thats the plan anyway!!? Sorry again Marksy, i'm working with him in the morning actually mate!!! Treat you better next time!!? :o I've only got 42 people on my saturday football text list, you're all special !!! Thanks again lads :thumbsup:

Never crossed paths with Rappo on a football pitch but a local legend and had the pleasure of a chat on the side lines at rosudgeon one saturday when we didnt have a game and went to watch them instead,I think Rappo might have been at Frogpool then but i could be wrong.A top fella and a top player!!

Legend dont even cover it - with all the rubbish being written on this forum - surely everybody should take one step back and have a little think how Rappo conducts himself and always has done - we, including me, can all learn so much from him. Fanatastic guy and an amazing assassin in any match at any standard - remember you as a very slim 17 year old playing for Truro U'18s - never seen such white sweat bands or so much oil on a pair of legs - as a defender I did not know if it was Xmas or Easter after playing against him!!! Think we drew 3-3 tho - sure Rappo will probably put me straight. And then there was the Amsterdam/Eindhoven trip with Porthleven..........love ya mate

Legend dont even cover it - with all the rubbish being written on this forum - surely everybody should take one step back and have a little think how Rappo conducts himself and always has done - we, including me, can all learn so much from him. Fanatastic guy and an amazing assassin in any match at any standard - remember you as a very slim 17 year old playing for Truro U'18s - never seen such white sweat bands or so much oil on a pair of legs - as a defender I did not know if it was Xmas or Easter after playing against him!!! Think we drew 3-3 tho - sure Rappo will probably put me straight. And then there was the Amsterdam/Eindhoven trip with Porthleven..........love ya mate

i bet you were not a slim 17 year old then bash!

i bet you were not a slim 17 year old then bash!

Just big boned!!!

Thanks Matt, i'm embarrased mate!! Much appreciated bud :) . Thanks for the kind words guys, always tried to enjoy the game and treat people how you want to be treated yourself, got to say i've made so many good friends through football from my old south western league days right through to the trelawny league. The memories and mates mean much more than all the cups and medals and i can't go anywhere from Penzance to Bristol without seeing someone i know for a football chat!!! Mrs loves it :( Must admit i'm looking forward to getting the 2000 goals if the knees can take the strain of all the pasties so i can go around the different grounds and catch up with some old mates and watch a few games on a saturday, thats the plan anyway!!? Sorry again Marksy, i'm working with him in the morning actually mate!!! Treat you better next time!!? :o I've only got 42 people on my saturday football text list, you're all special !!! Thanks again lads :thumbsup:

rather than chuck the boots away when you are done mate send em my way and i will get them auctioned off for a charity of your choice!!!

also i think u nicked my baby oil and vaseline last time we played so can i have them back please!!

Played against him today, unfortunatley I conceded the hatrick! Considering hes chasing a target of goals he played unselfishly always looking to play someone else in, true gent and allround nice guy! Needs to work on his freekicks lol

now adays he looks to play some one in because he,s to f....ed to do it on his own,cant believe he learnt so much from me heeeee

I have to say that the term legend is used too often these days and without any real worth, but Rappo is a true legend and gent of football. I am honoured to have played in the same team as him and to witness his passion for the game and hear his wise words to the younger players. Waiting for the day you reach that 2000 mark, mate. By the way, keep those jokes coming :thumbsup:

Thanx again gents, really humbled!!! Dave love to finish that interview! That was 1998 when I got the 1000! 14 seasons ago! Watched England beat Portugal 3-0 at Wembley, birthday next day and the goals the day after!! and a chat with you for a couple hours around the table. Good week!!! 913 goals and 5 stone later and here we are!! ;-( Just hope the knees last?? Tell Liz well done Daz, hope you enjoyed spending your grand winnings?!! Great days Bash, I'm still a member of the Ajax fan club!!! Ha ha! Denty best organiser ever!! Much appreciated lads x

• 2 months later...

don't know if any of you have read this months four four two magazine but there is an article about a Sunday league player dubbed the Sunday league Pele who is on his quest for 1000 goals. It goes on to talk about the few players that have achieved this feat and about some not being able to prove it. This guy was only on 800 odd goals which is nothing compared to Rappo's nearly 2000! Reckon someone who knows him a bit better than i do should write in to the magazine about our "Cornish Pele"?

don't know if any of you have read this months four four two magazine but there is an article about a Sunday league player dubbed the Sunday league Pele who is on his quest for 1000 goals. It goes on to talk about the few players that have achieved this feat and about some not being able to prove it. This guy was only on 800 odd goals which is nothing compared to Rappo's nearly 2000! Reckon someone who knows him a bit better than i do should write in to the magazine about our "Cornish Pele"?

Dont you think that Rappo hasn't alreadt done it ha ha. Love ya Rappo

Havent seen the article but seems abit strange this guys getting a mention only playing sunday league? Ive seen stupid scores on sundays, if he plays for a serious sunday side and the rest are only out for a laugh then its hardly a huge achievement! Lets big up Rappo when he reaches his target and maybe someone will do a proper write up for him!

Thanks GD20 and Kash!!! Appreciate that gents! Went out and got a fourfourtwo especially! usually get World Soccer! Didnt think i was special enough to write in anywhere to be honest Bash!! The bloke from the Non League magazine did a little interview at my mums when I got the 1000 in 1997 but that was it apart from the local papers and Deacs who is a great support with his fantastic knowledge of Cornish footie. Just read it and must admit I'm a bit gutted he's got a four page write up for scoring 800 Sunday league goals!! Reckon I'm around that for South Western league and Combo without all the Sunday league and vets goals!! I can prove it as well being the anorach I am with dates / games etc! Mind you I have been playing adult football since I was 14 which is 31 seasons!!! Had some shocking injuries so could probably knock 3 seasons off that!? Still got 68 to go anyway so won't count my chickens just yet with my knees and pasty addiction!!! Thanx again lads x

Haha yeh sorry diesel, thought you had a good engine when you came on second half mate!! Reckon if you didn't flag your keeper would have saved it anyway!! He was on fire 1st half! Thanks for the thrashing! See you in the cup game after Xmas hopefully? Yeh think that was me Dudley, I had 4 in that game! Won 7-1 if I remember rightly? Was that the top corner one? Glad we didn't play the Villa lads twenty years before that tho! Think the score would have been reversed at least!! Lovely bunch of blokes, no big time Charlie's, you could see they just enjoyed each others company. Suppose they did win a European cup together!!!

Thanks Dudley, very kind of you mate, enjoyable day that was and more importantly a decent crowd and quite a few quid for charity if I remember rightly? TOIGTBIW no worries, I'm in the banter business myself so no offence taken!!! Got to take it if you dish it now and again as long as it ain't too personal!?. You seem to know your stuff anyway and I've got a feeling I know who you are now and if I'm right I like you and respect your achievements also!!! ;-). Anyway up at 5am so off to bed to watch the end of The Patriot on Channel 5, don't know why I got the DVD! :-(

Thanks Dudley, very kind of you mate, enjoyable day that was and more importantly a decent crowd and quite a few quid for charity if I remember rightly? TOIGTBIW no worries, I'm in the banter business myself so no offence taken!!! Got to take it if you dish it now and again as long as it ain't too personal!?. You seem to know your stuff anyway and I've got a feeling I know who you are now and if I'm right I like you and respect your achievements also!!! ;-). Anyway up at 5am so off to bed to watch the end of The Patriot on Channel 5, don't know why I got the DVD! :-(

Late start then, Ho ho ho. I'll give you a ring to make sure your up in time - yeah!!! Just a suggestion - clear your inbox bud.

2 of the hardest opponents I ever faced back in the JSWL days were Luke Hodge and, yes, Rappo! Could never get the ball off either them! Brilliant to see you're still at it mate and just as prolific. Perhaps we'll meet again on the pitch again one day-does your team ever play illogan 3rds?

Hi Burts, great to hear from you mate!!! Still as modest as ever! You got the ball off me and Hodgie plenty of times bud!!! Enjoying the Trelawny league?! Bit different from the old SWL league days eh mate!? Enjoyable though, even more so in some ways!? Pressure wise. Hard getting used to paying those subs rather than being handed that brown packet after the game!!!! :-(. Don't get to play you bud, you're in too high a league for us!! Look after yourself Burts and keep it going, we're a long time retired! hopefully catch you soon mate x

One of the most respectfull opponents i've ever played against. Remember playing for Porthleven against Perranwell. Id made a great tackle on Rappo on the edge of our box, left him on the floor in a heap & jogged up to the half way line. Rappo came up behind me, tapped me on the back, shook my hand & said ' brilliant tackle Kev '. Gentleman !!!!! 2 mins later, he got the ball, took the piss out of me & scored the only goal of the game !! Then came back & apologised ! Brilliant :P

Keep playing & smash all those records pal, nobody deserves it more than you ! X

Lunch break??? Don't get them in the NHS anymore mate!!! The only breaks we get are in fracture clinic! Kev it was always a pleasure playing against the likes of yourself and Burts mate. Hard and fair and always a handshake after, never minded being wiped out man and ball, after all that is a defenders job i suppose! Its the pinchers, punchers and shirt pullers that wind me up!! Always knew you would be a good manager Kev, the type of bloke that you want to really play for as a player. Good luck for the rest of the season, dont think anyone will top your Illogan result in the combo for a long time bud!!! :clapper: Hey Marksy i can remember when your name was in the paper every week! Reckon you;ve worked it out wrong mate!!!? Although watching Spud play i reckon he'll be better than any of us!!! :thumbsup: Jack doing ok, scored 288 already! Told him to keep a count cos i never did in youth football, probably have topped 3000 by now?! I did'nt turn into an anorack until i had my first game of mens footie bud!! Catch you at school after xmas for a few more goals from the boys mate! :D

Ha ha ha..Rappo, the brown packet days are long gone mate! The only money transfer is a direct debit to the ccfa for making tackles and mouthing off....not because I'm particularly nasty, its just my legs don't work very well anymore and frustration takes over. Love playing regardless of the standard and Illogan were kind enough to give me a start most weeks. Hope we do catch up soon mate...still wouldn't like to try and get the ball off ya! Remember what graham waters always said (and still does) "runners run and players play" x

Lunch break??? Don't get them in the NHS anymore mate!!! The only breaks we get are in fracture clinic! Kev it was always a pleasure playing against the likes of yourself and Burts mate. Hard and fair and always a handshake after, never minded being wiped out man and ball, after all that is a defenders job i suppose! Its the pinchers, punchers and shirt pullers that wind me up!! Always knew you would be a good manager Kev, the type of bloke that you want to really play for as a player. Good luck for the rest of the season, dont think anyone will top your Illogan result in the combo for a long time bud!!! :clapper: Hey Marksy i can remember when your name was in the paper every week! Reckon you;ve worked it out wrong mate!!!? Although watching Spud play i reckon he'll be better than any of us!!! :thumbsup: Jack doing ok, scored 288 already! Told him to keep a count cos i never did in youth football, probably have topped 3000 by now?! I did'nt turn into an anorack until i had my first game of mens footie bud!! Catch you at school after xmas for a few more goals from the boys mate! :D

think you have had plenty of lunch breaks rappo!! :yahoo: see you on saturday!