Cornwall Football Forum

What standard of football do you want in Cornwall?

Well, that's the question. All over the country in practically every county, clubs at steps 6 and 7 thrive despite - or is it because of - higher level clubs on their doorstep, even Premiership clubs. Yet the rise of Truro through to level 2 has been met with parochial jealousy from all around. True, the success was bought by a man who just could have homed in on just about any Cornish step 6 or 7 club. Look at your ground and think what it would be worth to a developer! Having a level 2 side in the area has to be a good thing. Look at the example of Cody Cooke, originally playing for Penryn, went to Truro Reserves and through various circumstances found himself in the Conference side - and has thrived. He is a credit to any club he played for, if he was anywhere before Penryn. He is so much part of Truro's team he could go further. Much more likely to be spotted playing in the Conference than at step 6 or 7. Players who make the Truro side might eventually return to their roots as much better players: who knows?

But despite the club being in the Conference on the back of one man's money, he's gone but the club is still there and could thrive now there's a chance that someone who actually understands football will take over. Already the upsurge in help from Truro fans now that Kevin Heaney is no longer anything to do with the club is massive.

The point of this?

The Administrators reckon Truro need gates of around 750 to break even. You are out there: now is the time to turn up, now you know the money you hand over at the gate will be used for the good of the club. This Saturday's game against lowly-placed Bromley will be a cross-roads for the club. Four of the first team have gone, only two of whom played in the last two games, meaning a weaker squad, a weaker starting eleven, chances for more of the Reserves to show what they can do. Go along and give Cornish football a boost.Your - our - presence will keep alive the hope that football in Cornwall can be at a level never known before in the County's history.

Bring your mother-in-law, your grandchildren, even your wife. Bring your boyfriend, no one will care!

But be there!

3.00pm Kick off, Treyew Road.

TCFC rise up the pyramid was funded by borrowed money,borrowed against the clubs assets. I doubt that any personal money was involved at all.

Myself, being parochial, will be watching my club on Saturday. I do however wish you well in your endeavours to save TCFC in whatever form it ends up as.

I will also take the chance to watch TCFC when they have an evening fixture in the future, just out of interest that may be the way forward to larger gates. Please accept my future £10 to the fund with my best wishes. I will do my best to catch a game.

Also the £10 entry fee could come with an invitation to pay a bit more on entry if the person felt inclined to do so, I probably would.

Funny old game innit !

If you go up and down the leagues and speak too clubs throughout numerous Counties you will see that they are all struggling one way or another financially, As much as i love the thought of having that standard of football in Cornwall a big part of me reallistically feels that this is the end of Truro City`s quest. It all boils down to one man and one man only and the way that this person goes about buisness and dealing with local persons, Im not in anyway anti Truro as ive always been admiring the clubs ambitions, but i feel that this project could of and would of been handled alot better in the hands of someone else who just focused purely on football and nothing else. My personal feelings are that i could see this all going pearshaped when Dave leonard and Ian Annear left the club and when you lose two peple like these then something is going to go seriously wrong. I really hope im wrong and in no way am i negative but i feel that with so much sport in such a small county and in such a small area i just dont see were the supporters are going to come from to help save Truro City especially 750 every game.

What standard of football do the public want... or can sustain ?

I should imagine we would all want a Man Utd or Chelsea on our doorstep, Argyle couldn't make it in the Championship so that ideal is never going to happen.

It is easier to have a Step 2 club based within 50 miles of London or Lancashire due to the amount of quality players available in those areas, the wages would also be less for those reasons, less travelling to home games for a start.

If anyone is honest, a club run sustainably in Cornwall could make the Southern S&W Div (Bideford have done it on poor crowds), after that, then it is pure business rather than a football club for the community.

Couldn't give two hoots. As long as there is a local club on my door stop in my home village when my boy starts playing football then I'll be happy.

Truro potentially could have been a big club in the area and could have won the locals over if they had done things differently from the start. No doubt they'll have a decent crowd there this Saturday, but will that decent crowd still be there in a months time or in 4 months time? I highly doubt it.

Personally I'd rather go and watch St Blazey v Falmouth or something like that, than Truro against anyone in their league

But best of luck to you

Well said, St Darren. A single, meritocratic, competitive Cornwall League would be my preference, with a Premier, Eastern and Western Division One and Two run by the right kind of administrators, and division three, four , five etc sponsored like the present Duchy and Trelaney leagues below that. An indepedent Cornwall FA which secedes from the English version and, if necessary, from the bloated, self-interested absurdity that is FIFA.

I can still watch Chelea on satellite for my aesthetic betterment.

Well said, St Darren. A single, meritocratic, competitive Cornwall League would be my preference, with a Premier, Eastern and Western Division One and Two run by the right kind of administrators, and division three, four , five etc sponsored like the present Duchy and Trelaney leagues below that. An indepedent Cornwall FA which secedes from the English version and, if necessary, from the bloated, self-interested absurdity that is FIFA.

And you go on about United be arm chair supporters??

To be honest the standard of football in Devon Cornwall over the last few years has risen in the top 6 teams but the feeder leagues ie ecpl and ccl are very poor. No money left filtering down to 2nd teams etc and too much being spent elsewhere. Couple this with a large amount of inept refs who are interested in making money for the CCFA and you have problems that won't go away

It seems sad that a side who have made so much progress through the leagues to be in so much trouble!!!

Talking about sustaining a side... you only have to look at the biggest sides who are in debt up to the eyeballs.

Even at local level in cornwall it is all over the forum about how much players are paid which is way beyond the prize money up for grabs

and is therefore purely bragging rights in a goldfish bowl... it's a real shame, let's hope Truro they get some

luck (sugar daddy!!!!)

Jake Ash seems like a top bloke from his posts!!!!!!!!!!

i would agree with that too be honest, thats a great post, just wonder how we would split the divisions etc etc. though you ruined it by mentioning CHELSEA lol B)

A single, meritocratic, competitive Cornwall League would be my preference, with a Premier, Eastern and Western Division One and Two

Oh dear, back to the boring past. Hope it never happens, but if it does perhaps we could call it the one of the following; the insular league, the parochial league, the isolation league, the seclusion league. :SM_carton:

As soon as this league is set up clubs would almost certainly be excluded from the vase and FA cup.

After the uproar that being the swpl into line with the rest of the country and less clubs being allowed in from the same level, how would people feel about losing the privilege of entry to these competitions totally?

I'm pretty confident it would be a positive reaction.

For clubs that aren't ambitious and don't want to do the travelling they can stick to the ecpl a d combination leagues?

The set up is no different to my area of Gloucestershire where you have:

Hellenic premier div - step 5 - travel as far and wide as Gloucester to reading

Hellenic div 1 west - step 6 - lydney to Banbury and wantage

Glos county league - step 7 - most games within an hour

Is this really that different to the distances clubs travel in Cornwall at the respective steps?

Give ln the figures that we hear being paid out to players by some of the swpl prem clubs, asking them to leave for a game and be home by say 7pm its not unreasonable.

It's certainly more than a lot of players at the same level in the Hellenic footprint recieve.

I imagine there will be people who ignore what I have to say as an "outsider" but to counter that, I had lived in st Austell and had a few years playing in both the ecpl, swpl and also the odd game in the combination.

For me, if you want a better standard of football you need to be prepared to travel further, as players are over the rest of the country.

For me I believe you should always try and play at the highest level you can, test yourself.

In my experience a lot of players want to be a big fish and be talked about as some kind of superstar rather than take the step up and have a crack at BSS with Truro, from what I've seen the best players would be good enough to play at that level, Cody Cooke is a good example of this.

This would also help with a club being able to sustain itself at that level as wages would t need to be so high as you aren't asking players to travel miles for home games too.

A single, meritocratic, competitive Cornwall League would be my preference, with a Premier, Eastern and Western Division One and Two

Oh dear, back to the boring past. Hope it never happens, but if it does perhaps we could call it the one of the following; the insular league, the parochial league, the isolation league, the seclusion league. :SM_carton:

you got to remember that Rodney,comes from st just who in 1999 had something called electric installed,fantastic they said,and in 2060 they will be able to have broad band,most of the villagers thought it was a brass band played bye big people.

you got to remember that Rodney,comes from st just who in 1999 had something called electric installed,fantastic they said,and in 2060 they will be able to have broad band,most of the villagers thought it was a brass band played bye big people.

I am looking forward to the reply from Rod ... :)

• 1 month later...

People in cornwall tend to be very loyal to whatever football club they are associated with locally and you will never draw crowds from outer areas of the county to come and watch truro, unless its a pre season friendly against a decent pro side and an evening kick off, Lots of people are just content on supporting their local teams who all have very limited finances so need all the support they can get ! and for the record we have had electricity at St Just long before 1999 and we now have access to fibre optic broadband in the area also :) good luck to all at Truro City because i think you may need it.

Isaac Roseberg: born St Just, 1959. Humphry Davy Grammar at 10, O levels at 14, A levels at 16, undergrad at Oxford , postgrad at Warwick, set up first arts degrees in Cornwall at both major colleges,faculty head, novelist, village idiot, I know, I know........ :c::yahoo:

Is that your way of trying to tell us your intelligent.

Because it has'nt impressed me.

Isaac Roseberg: born St Just, 1959. Humphry Davy Grammar at 10, O levels at 14, A levels at 16, undergrad at Oxford , postgrad at Warwick, set up first arts degrees in Cornwall at both major colleges,faculty head, novelist, village idiot, I know, I know.

Got the last bit right for sure!!

Somersetspur, as one of Kevin's past Little Drummer Boys, you are clearly impressed by the wrong kind of authority, so I am relieved that I do not impress you.

"Your", by the way, is a possessive pronoun: I think the usage you were groping for in your last post was an elided "you are", conventionally written as "you're".

Mike Jones ? Jones ? Mike whom, exactly ?

Homer ? As half our games were away, that probably suggests an impartial balance.

Gentlemen, you will have to do better than this. Where is the wit of yesteryear ? Thank goodness I have returned to save this website from mediocrity.

Isaac Roseberg: born St Just, 1959. Humphry Davy Grammar at 10, O levels at 14, A levels at 16, undergrad at Oxford , postgrad at Warwick, set up first arts degrees in Cornwall at both major colleges,faculty head, novelist, village idiot, I know, I know

There's no doubt that you have a lot of knowledge Isaac, but knowledge is often mistaken for intelligence. It's like mistaking a cup of milk for a cow!

Isaac Roseberg: born St Just, 1959. Humphry Davy Grammar at 10, O levels at 14, A levels at 16, undergrad at Oxford , postgrad at Warwick, set up first arts degrees in Cornwall at both major colleges,faculty head, novelist, village idiot, I know, I know

There's no doubt that you have a lot of knowledge Isaac, but knowledge is often mistaken for intelligence. It's like mistaking a cup of milk for a cow!

They were called educated idiots in my day.

Good old Kernow. Do you come from a Land Down Under ?

No wonder there's a brain drain. So I can't discriminate between a cup of milk and a cow ?

In a Truro City context, this debate is purely academic There's no cow left: you lot sold the cow to Kevin Heaney for a few magic beans.

Now the beanstalk is crashing round your ears: "you better run, you better take cover."

By the lack of postings on the 0-1 defeat at Eastbourne Borough, can we now assume that City fans have given up... or just warned off posting on this forum due to the adverse responses they receive ?

With wit like that you should join the Isaac school of idiocracy.

We haven't given up but miles on the travel clock means there's less time to mock the afflicted.

Get well soon. :yahoo:

Lack of interest NO -

2722 miles (Minimum) this season so far following Truro City.

Away fans are hardy souls throwing in some home games for good measure.

By the lack of postings on the 0-1 defeat at Eastbourne Borough, can we now assume that City fans have given up... or just warned off posting on this forum due to the adverse responses they receive ?

With wit like that you should join the Isaac school of idiocracy.

We haven't given up but miles on the travel clock means there's less time to mock the afflicted. Get well soon. :yahoo:

Ivor,the best of it is that i have spoken loads of times to good people from st just and they are glad that the village idiot ak Rodney beer has left there club,he might be intelligent,but that also goes with embarrassing,fool ,clown,all these words bye the good persons from st just :yahoo:

Haydon perhaps he enjoys playing the big fish in a small pond but I doubt if he would last 10 minutes in industry, many of those I was responsible for in the workplace had their degrees but those pieces of paper meant nothing when they failed to have the ability to put into practice what they represented.

What's the point of a mind full of useless information.

Eric Bristow on "I'm a Celebrity get me out of here" refers to it as F.O.S ................................. (Full of Shit).

"Industry"....ha ha. Enjoy the inevitable collapse of the great post-imperialist Brit economy as the countries it exploited undercut it. In 20 years there will be no British industry left. Osborne is clowning on you already. I made easy money in London selling abysmal advertising to people like you in my first career. Tend to agree with your mockery of Cornish minnows in duckponds pretending to be pike, but I left long ago. People like you were made responsible for those with degrees in the workplace ? No wonder industry is in collapse.

Your farsighted ability to pick the right people was summarised by putting Heaney in charge of your club. No bumpkins in Carrick ! Genius.

It wouldn't have been allowed by those "good people" in St Just. A prophet, as Christ said, is never accepted in his own country.

Stick any Cornishman on a spit: you'll always be able to find another Cornishman to turn him.

Good luck with the Truro City away trips. Looks like you'll be visiting Borlase Park, Pendeen next year.

Isaac Roseberg: born St Just, 1959. Humphry Davy Grammar at 10, O levels at 14, A levels at 16, undergrad at Oxford , postgrad at Warwick, set up first arts degrees in Cornwall at both major colleges,faculty head, novelist, village idiot, I know, I know........ :c::yahoo:

Well well isaac, venting your intelligence again, it is of course only of any use in your very restricted plane, but you know that. I could take issue with the over use of the comma in your list of achievements - but. Your stats are impressive in your world.

The post was saved by your last part which actually showed you are indeed not a fool merely acting it - well said.

Isaac selling adverting is only from the results of others creativity, without something to sell there wouldn't be anything to advertise, whereas I could create enough work to keep the companies factories employing hundreds in work for a year with one trip to Brussels, when competing against industrialists from all over Europe and winning, that's a buzz.

I agree about the demise of some industries, it tends to happen when people with experience retire although the latest demise is the result of greedy city types and their love of Chinese cheapies.

The West may heed the 20 year prophecy from the Prophet Isaac, already they have taken their eye off the ball, there being a vast Chinese presence throughout Africa and the Caribbean, it may be a softly softly approach by them now but in time they will be in a position to hold us to ranson.

Enough of the Isaacism's back to the footy, had a shock this evening, curious I worked out that on average it has cost me £44 in transport costs to attend each of the 12 Truro City games I have seen this season, add to that the Saturday sipping rations, admission, programme, 50/50 or time of first goal tickets plus food you barely have enough for the 30p admission to the toilets whilst crossing London.

Heaney would be well suited with the Tory rabble screwing the Country, a bunch of crooks lining their own pockets at the expense of others.

So, can we take it that City fans only post after a win or as I suspect, they have been warned off by the Trust from posting for fear of negative replies ? I see the universally derided Mountaineer, who has been slated on every respected forum in Football, is sticking his barbs into another person who he has no knowledge of, but has been around Cornish football a hell of a lot longer.

Just out of interest, will you follow City home and away IF they can only afford SWPL or Combo football next season ?

Truro's Mr Mourinho, you have stolen the name of my hero, how very dare you ! Your powers of political analysis remind me of those of someone very close to me, sadly suffering from inoperable dementia. Catweazle: a bearded mediaevalist with magical powers. Mm. I'll take that as a compliment.

Mountaineer, I am not in any way prejudiced against whatever it is metropolitan lavatories may provide for 30p, but my many Chinese friends and I will be pleased to restore your self-respect with a donation when passing through High Wycombe. I am delighted by therise of the Chinese economy and hope that it will restore planned socialism to the world stage and save this island from its current role as U.S Airstrip One. I agree heartily with your condemnation of advertising, which in a genuinely state-run society is entirely unnecessary. Hold "us" to ransom ! Pray do not assume that all users of the Forum identify with the Butcher's Apron: some of us have spent a professional lifetime deliberately subverting it whenever possible.

Older, your comment about my restricted "plane" are hardly appropriate. St Just at least has an international airport. Unlike Smacktown Heliport, it remains a going concern which should be requisitioned on behalf of the People's Socialist Republic of St Just.

Don't count on Truro City being accepted into the Cornwall Combo. Their best bet might be to hand Pendeen Rovers a few grand to ensure that Borlase Park ground meets SWPL standards so there's a vacancy.

And what about St Buryan's promotion push from the Trelawney League ? They're owned by the most powerful woman in Cornwall !