Cornwall Football Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Defunct grounds (2)

8 hours ago, Willow Tree said:

Have assumed it is Antony after matching up the codes on the back and the photos in the same batch. Also added the ones of Stithians, Mawgan and one of Gweek. Found some other interesing pics - Wendron before development, Mevagissey's old changing rooms and hopefully some better ones of Camelford, Carnon Downs and Heathcoats. All to be uploaded in the coming weeks. Can anyone shed any light on where the following teams played:

Copperhouse (Hayle School?)

Coverack

Tuckingmill (Roskear?)

Copperhouse may have played at Leedstown

Coverack,i think,played at the Drawbar Club

1 hour ago, Soccer Follower said:

Copperhouse may have played at Leedstown

Coverack,i think,played at the Drawbar Club

Haha where is the Drawbar Club? (I believe it is/was somewhere in Helston)

On 15/02/2017 at 20:44, Soccer Follower said:

I think it is Tremorvah Willow

Yes i can remember playing against Tremorvah up at Kenwyn and also the Royal Standard Inn played there for a couple of seasons.

Swingletree.

Apparently they played at a ground called Muffin Park. The story of its' naming is convoluted.  At the time the ground had a groundsman called Mervyn.and the Northern Irish Ewing brothers were managing the team and said Mervyn's name in a strong N. Irish accent (try saying Mervyn with a strong Northern Irish accent). A new Scottish coach joined the team and couldn't work out why the groundsman was called Muffin by the coaching team (and of course by the rest of the team as the nickname had stuck). When it came to naming the ground the obvious was "Muffin Park".

Now, Muffin Park has returned to its' old duties as potatoes or cattle grazing.

Coming up hopefully Friday or over the weekend, pictures of Mawgan (from around 2000), Carnon Downs (Old Quay FC), Heathcoats and a couple of "where is this?" questions.

11 hours ago, Willow Tree said:

Coming up hopefully Friday or over the weekend, pictures of Mawgan (from around 2000), Carnon Downs (Old Quay FC), Heathcoats and a couple of "where is this?" questions.

Carnon Downs FC had a seperate ground to Old Quay who played on a school ground near Tregye.

Whilst coming back through Est Cornwall earlier this week my mind went back to some old clubs which may or may not have been mentioned before:

Saltash WMC,St.Mellion,Landrake,Tideford,Menheniot,George & Dragon (Bodmin),Port Isaac,St.Maybn,St.Tudy,RAF St.Mawgan,Riviera Coasters,New Par,Fowey Utd and RBL,Polruan.

On a cup i had in my possession yesterday were the following:

Falmouth YMCA,Falmouth GPO,Falmouth Docks,Mylor,Gweek,Cury,Porkellis,Mawgan,Pool,HMS Seahawk,Duchy,Truro City 3rds, and Nancegollan.

2 hours ago, Soccer Follower said:

Carnon Downs FC had a seperate ground to Old Quay who played on a school ground near Tregye.

Whilst coming back through Est Cornwall earlier this week my mind went back to some old clubs which may or may not have been mentioned before:

Saltash WMC,St.Mellion,Landrake,Tideford,Menheniot,George & Dragon (Bodmin),Port Isaac,St.Maybn,St.Tudy,RAF St.Mawgan,Riviera Coasters,New Par,Fowey Utd and RBL,Polruan.

On a cup i had in my possession yesterday were the following:

Falmouth YMCA,Falmouth GPO,Falmouth Docks,Mylor,Gweek,Cury,Porkellis,Mawgan,Pool,HMS Seahawk,Duchy,Truro City 3rds, and Nancegollan.

When I put Carnon Downs I meant Tregye Road just because it's in that location. That's the pitch I know and have pics of. The old Carnon ground location is unknown, possible where the road is now.

Saltash WMC - Warfelton

St Mellion would be a good one if it can be pinpointed. At one time they had the 'worst facilities in senior football' - the women of the village would bring buckets of hot water in the second half to fill up the tin baths.

Landrake I believe played at Warfelton in Saltash.

Tideford had a ground behind the village which I found yonks ago but have since forgotten. Maybe @karaoke might know it.

Menheniot is on there - Pass Road, recently used by St Neot.

George & Dragon - I've been meaning to use the picture kindly uploaded on here of Coldharbour Lane.

Port Isaac, St Mabyn, St Tudy - no information on either

RAF St Mawgan - pitch still in use by St Eval Spitfies

Riviera Coasters - played at Poltair Park

New Par - no information

Fowey United - already featured

Polruan - no information

Falmouth YMCA, GPO and Duchy - were probably Dracaena Avenue

Falmouth Docks - location pics are featured

Mylor - Waterings Road is featured although they had more than one ground - Penryn School being one and that isn't there so I could use that. Weir Road ground location is unknown.

Gweek, Cury, Mawgan all featured.

Porkellis - details unknown

Pool - Roskear Field is featured

HMS Seahawk is presumably RNAS Culdrose

Truro City 3rds - Boscawen Park

Nancegollan - I know there was a pitch near to Drym Road but not sure where

There was a pitch on Budock Hill where Swanvale played which I will add at some point. Mabe too had a few grounds on Antron Hill but not sure where.

Hi Willow tree - I've played against Landrake at a pitch that was definitely near to the village itself. Also played against both St Tudy and St Mabyn  in Junior / Launceston cups. Pretty sure that both pitches were in the respective villages.

Another one long gone was St Kew who had a team in the Bodmin & District league. They had one or two of the Dowling brothers playing back in the late seventies. Certainly gave us a stuffing in the Junior Cup one year.

Polruan had a sloping pitch just on the way into the village. usually covered in sheep shite.

The Antony pitch you featured recently was also ( I think ) used by Polbathic 

St.Mellion,i think,used to be a very successful team in the East Cornwall League in the 60's.

Carnon Downs played on a farmer's field accessed from Carnon Crescent on the lane to Higher Devoran Farm.

Port Isaac,i seem to recall,played on a pitch adjoining the public car park off the B3267 Road.

New Par played on a field on the right hand side near the road running from the Britannia Inn towards Par.

St.Kew are now up and running again and playing Sunday football with two teams.The old pitch may have been slightly affected by road improvements but it is roughly where it used to be.

Portkellis played in the village not far from the pub and close to Halwin Lane.

Mylor had a pitch around early 70's up above the village on a farmer's field (maybe off Carclew Road?)

8 minutes ago, Brianmooreshead said:

Hi Willow tree - I've played against Landrake at a pitch that was definitely near to the village itself. Also played against both St Tudy and St Mabyn  in Junior / Launceston cups. Pretty sure that both pitches were in the respective villages.

Another one long gone was St Kew who had a team in the Bodmin & District league. They had one or two of the Dowling brothers playing back in the late seventies. Certainly gave us a stuffing in the Junior Cup one year.

Polruan had a sloping pitch just on the way into the village. usually covered in sheep shite.

The Antony pitch you featured recently was also ( I think ) used by Polbathic 

The St Kew pitch was on Station Road

The new ground is on the left hand side as you head to Camelford. I'm not sure if it's visible from the road but it's in the village recreation ground with a park and a rugby pitch (and cricket pitch).

Just now, Soccer Follower said:

Tideford may have played off Tideford Cross Lane.

I believe you could be right. Just had a look on Google Earth, it does look like the same place I stumbled across on the way back from Devon in the dusk. I have found the Carnon Cresent site which I will add.

2 hours ago, Willow Tree said:

When I put Carnon Downs I meant Tregye Road just because it's in that location. That's the pitch I know and have pics of. The old Carnon ground location is unknown, possible where the road is now.

Saltash WMC - Warfelton

St Mellion would be a good one if it can be pinpointed. At one time they had the 'worst facilities in senior football' - the women of the village would bring buckets of hot water in the second half to fill up the tin baths.

Landrake I believe played at Warfelton in Saltash.

Tideford had a ground behind the village which I found yonks ago but have since forgotten. Maybe @karaoke might know it.

Menheniot is on there - Pass Road, recently used by St Neot.

George & Dragon - I've been meaning to use the picture kindly uploaded on here of Coldharbour Lane.

Port Isaac, St Mabyn, St Tudy - no information on either

RAF St Mawgan - pitch still in use by St Eval Spitfies

Riviera Coasters - played at Poltair Park

New Par - no information

Fowey United - already featured

Polruan - no information

Falmouth YMCA, GPO and Duchy - were probably Dracaena Avenue

Falmouth Docks - location pics are featured

Mylor - Waterings Road is featured although they had more than one ground - Penryn School being one and that isn't there so I could use that. Weir Road ground location is unknown.

Gweek, Cury, Mawgan all featured.

Porkellis - details unknown

Pool - Roskear Field is featured

HMS Seahawk is presumably RNAS Culdrose

Truro City 3rds - Boscawen Park

Nancegollan - I know there was a pitch near to Drym Road but not sure where

There was a pitch on Budock Hill where Swanvale played which I will add at some point. Mabe too had a few grounds on Antron Hill but not sure where.

Hi Willow, Tideford had a really nice ground up the hill past The Rod And Line at Tideford Cross, funny I use to live across the road from the pitch.

Flickr site updated with pictures of Camborne Town (Heathcoats), Camelford (Tregoodwell), Carnon Downs (old) (Carnon Crescent), Ludgvan (pitch 2 Fairfield), Mawgan United (Recreation Ground), Newmoor Rovers (Kessell Park), Old Quay (Tregye Road), Port Isaac (hopefully the right one), Railway Tavern (Carn Brea), Swanvale Swifts (Bickland Hill). There are also three grounds in the "Where is this?" folder. I think numbers 2 and 3 might be in south Devon but not sure. They would have been taken around 2000-2001 so might have changed.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147470153@N04/albums

Back in the early seventies Wilcove United who played in the Plymouth and District league usedto play there home games at the Lawns in Torpoint (also known as Thanckes Park. The width of the pitch must have been the bare minimum with overhanging branches on one side. Behind one goal was the river Tamar and many a shot ended up in the river or the mud depending on the state of the tide. If you look at google maps and type in Thanckes  you can zoom in and see roughly where the pitch was although thr trees have grown somewhat 

1 hour ago, panda said:

Back in the early seventies Wilcove United who played in the Plymouth and District league usedto play there home games at the Lawns in Torpoint (also known as Thanckes Park. The width of the pitch must have been the bare minimum with overhanging branches on one side. Behind one goal was the river Tamar and many a shot ended up in the river or the mud depending on the state of the tide. If you look at google maps and type in Thanckes  you can zoom in and see roughly where the pitch was although thr trees have grown somewhat 

Played there for Dobwalls many years back. Wilcove had had a game postponed previously as all three match balls disappeared down the tamar. We played an evening match and Westward TV were there doing a feature on the club and their unusual problem 

3 hours ago, skinner said:

Penryn afc  Glasney  place , Dowstle.farm mylor  fluxes field kernick road , Glebe  behind church

Where is Fluxes Field? The Glebe is featured.

Website updated with four pictures of Raymond Road, two of The Lawns, Dowstall Farm and Glasney.

St Kew pitch was just on from the garage almost opposite the golf club on the left hand side going from Camelford to Wadebridge. St Mabyn played on a pitch at the bottom of Wadebridge Road in the Village.

34 minutes ago, motherwontletmegoargyle said:

Wasn't there a pitch where Saltash leisure centre now sits. Sometimes running east to west, sometimes north to south and used by Saltash Boys Club?

There is one that runs parallel to the main one at Warfelton which I believe is used by Saltash B.C. according to some writing on a building nearby. Whether it's a new incarnation of the one mentioned I don't know. It seems as though only the lower pitch is used for adult football.

St Kew and St Mabyn possibilities will be added possibly tomorrow with some modern pics of Newquay .

11 hours ago, Soccer Follower said:

What about Busby Gents at Baldhu,the old Cusgarne pitch (1960's),Malabar pitch near Mount Hawke,Cubert,Crantock and Ladock? (you may have covered some of these Willow)

I have no information on any of these Soccer Follower. If you or someone could be a little more specific then I will try to find some pictures or Google Earth images. I have remembered the J&F Pool pitch in Hayle where Guildford Road Industrial Estate is now.

Busby Gents played in a field off the Chacewater to Carnon Downs Road at Baldhu.The field adjoins the road leading to Threemilestone with the entrance off the main road.A few teams played on this pitch over the years but not in recent times.Malabar,for one season and,i think,back in Rappo's early years,had a pitch down a lane almost opposite but back a short distance towards Chacewater.

Cubert played on a small pitch behind the Community Centre in the village.

Crantock played off Halwyn Road,turn into Trevelveth Road and on the first bend that is where the entrance was.

Ladock had one pitch on the right hand side leaving the village towards Fraddon and another off the next lane on the left hand side of the road.

Cusgarne's former pitch,i think,was on the right hand side going down Quakers Road and used to have overhead electricity cables running across the pitch.

sge.

Busby and Ladock are hard to find but I think I have found Cubert, Crantock and Cusgarne. The latter's pitch is quite close to the current Frogpool ground.

I'm sure in an old CCFA handbook it had the school. I couldn't find the Community Centre!

Any information on any of the ex West Penwith clubs Kelynack, Nancledra or Richmond?