Cornwall Football Forum

RESULTS from Tuesday March 26 through to Easter Monday, April 1, 2024

Tuesday March 26, 2024

EAST   

Axminster Town     1-1       Teignmouth

Elburton Villa      P-P      Torridgeside

WEST

Bodmin Town    P-P    Launceston  (at Launceston)

Callington Town    P-P         Holsworthy

Dobwalls                P-P           Newquay

WALTER C PARSON LEAGUE CUP, at Cullompton

SEMI FINAL  

Bridport         2-3      Okehampton Argyle (aet, 2-2 at 90 mins)

Thursday March 28, 2024

EAST   

Honiton Town    P-P   Sidmouth Town

Good Friday - March 29, 2024

EAST   

Axminster Town        P-P            Bridport

Bishops Lydeard      1-2    Cullompton Rangers

Newton Abbot Spurs    P-P   Teignmouth

Torridgeside    0-3  Okehampton Argyle

Torrington         1-0        Crediton United

WEST

AFC St Austell       1-2            Newquay

Launceston      P-P        Callington Town

St Dennis          P-P            Sticker

Truro City Reserves    P-P      Penzance

Wadebridge Town    4-0    Bodmin Town

Wendron United      P-P            Mullion

Holsworthy            0-0         Bude Town       

Saturday 30 March 2024

EAST

Elburton Villa     1-2        Bovey Tracey

18:30  

Ivybridge Town     6-0         Dartmouth

WEST

Liskeard Athletic      2-0         Dobwalls

Monday 1 April 2024

EAST

Axminster Town   2-0     Elburton Villa

Bovey Tracey    2-2  Newton Abbot Spurs

Bridport               2-1          Torrington

Crediton United   P-P   Sidmouth Town

Honiton Town       2-2     Torridgeside

WEST

Bude Town       4-1    Truro City Reserves

Callington Town    P-P         Mullion

Holsworthy      P-P     Wendron United

• Dave Deacon changed the title to RESULTS from Tuesday March 26 through to Easter Monday, April 1, 2024
4 hours ago, Ian Pethick said:

Advantage Liskeard in the title/promotion race.

I hope so ….. nothing against Snozzle I might add! Mind you, the ‘Mints would love to add another twist to the tale in midweek. Personal circumstances have changed my football watching, but Blues v Newquay looks tempting  in midweek! Good luck Blues!

1 hour ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

I hope so ….. nothing against Snozzle I might add! Mind you, the ‘Mints would love to add another twist to the tale in midweek. Personal circumstances have changed my football watching, but Blues v Newquay looks tempting  in midweek! Good luck Blues!

As a Liskeard boy, really want to see The Blues go up this season. I think they would be a great addition to the Western League after being away for almost 30 years,  and it would see the welcome return of the Liskeard/Saltash derby. Managing at this level is also a major gap in Darren Gilbert's CV.

Nothing against "Snozzle" from myself either. Listening to their chair on the podcast the other week, it seems like they have exciting plans for Poltair and the club (hope they come to fruition). With a population over 21,000 in the town, it should be more than capable of supporting a step 5 club 

59 minutes ago, Ian Pethick said:

As a Liskeard boy, really want to see The Blues go up this season. I think they would be a great addition to the Western League after being away for almost 30 years,  and it would see the welcome return of the Liskeard/Saltash derby. Managing at this level is also a major gap in Darren Gilbert's CV.

Nothing against "Snozzle" from myself either. Listening to their chair on the podcast the other week, it seems like they have exciting plans for Poltair and the club (hope they come to fruition). With a population over 21,000 in the town, it should be more than capable of supporting a step 5 club 

Blues have been playing some super football these past 2-3 years. Promotion would be well merited. The derby with the Ashes again  would be great. My only caveat is that despite the sexy football being played at Lux Park the attendances remain stubbornly a bit disappointing.

My favouring of the Blues is that, with summer additions, they are more ready made to step up. St Austell I think would face the same experience as Blazey. The experienced and best players are unlikely to want the travelling that Step 5 involves, so a more thorough rebuild would be required. As you say Ian, Darren Gilbert plying his trade in the WL would be a fascinating watch!

The Snozzle plans sound very forward thinking. They need to be Step 5 too. It would be great to see Newquay at WL level too in the medium term. 

I think Liskeard would do very well if they are promoted Max Gilbert would be able to show what a class player he is against tougher opposition . 

If St Austell win the league i think they will choose not to accept promotion Brocks and Slates didnt take up the option with St  Blazey and some of the players have young families and you could understand they wouldnt want to be driving upcountry on a wet cold night and i think St Austell would struggle like Blazey are  ,If Blazey had River Allen Martin Giles in there team they wouldnt be struggling but they seem to go out and signed ordinary players who are not good enough for that league 

57 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

I think Liskeard would do very well if they are promoted Max Gilbert would be able to show what a class player he is against tougher opposition . 

If St Austell win the league i think they will choose not to accept promotion Brocks and Slates didnt take up the option with St  Blazey and some of the players have young families and you could understand they wouldnt want to be driving upcountry on a wet cold night and i think St Austell would struggle like Blazey are  ,If Blazey had River Allen Martin Giles in there team they wouldnt be struggling but they seem to go out and signed ordinary players who are not good enough for that league 

You can't refuse promotion any more. The consequences for doing so are punitive. Hopefully the Blues from Lux Park will get the job done and no dilemmas will be faced by St Austell players 😉

2 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

I'm not so sure that Blazey are struggling, that was almost a complete rebuild when most players were already signed by other clubs. 

They might not be threatening either end of the table but certainly look competitive. Everyone wants to be higher in any league but I'd say they've adapted and held their own.

11 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Those "ordinary" players wouldn't look ordinary in the SWL. The gulf between the two leagues is huge. You've even stated in your first line about playing against tougher opposition in the WL. You don't get to play against cannon fodder once or twice every month to keep the confidence and interest up like you do in the SWL. Use Clokey at Blazey as an example, 31 goals last season in the SWL to 11 in the WL this. Tough step up between the two leagues. I expect in years to come the likes of youngsters Newton and Downing will prosper too. 

On 02/04/2024 at 20:36, 100%cornish said:

Would be bottom 6 based on what I have seen this year. 

Huge fan of the Western League this season. So competitive.

Standard is impressive (apart from possibly 2/3 teams who have struggled).

The only advantage Liskeard will have is that they might have a bigger pull on players due to financials.

Be interesting to see how much 'blue blood' and 'green blood' the Liskeard and Ivybridge Players have when they get promoted and face of against Teams in this League.

On 02/04/2024 at 22:57, Railwayman in Exile said:

I'm not so sure that Blazey are struggling, that was almost a complete rebuild when most players were already signed by other clubs. 

They might not be threatening either end of the table but certainly look competitive. Everyone wants to be higher in any league but I'd say they've adapted and held their own.

Andrew Moon talked on the podcast about having to do effectively two rebuilds. One for pre season when the old guard who won the SWPL chose not to stay, and another partway into this season when (by his own admission) some of the newer players didn't fancy it when they saw how the WL works. They look a lot more competitive now, and will no doubt look to get a bit closer to the top 3rd of the table next season.

Assuming Liskeard get up, and with Ivybridge looking nailed on for promotion, there's going to be a lot of competition though for step 5 quality players in the area.