Cornwall Football Forum

WARD WILLIAMS Senior Cup 2023-24 2nd Round draw

2nd Round draw (dates may still change for a couple of the ties)

07/11/23

19:30

AFC St Austell     v       Saltash United
Falmouth Town v      Torpoint Athletic

Penzance         v              Mullion

Bodmin Town    v        Bude Town

08/11/23

Dobwalls      v              Helston Athletic

Truro City 2nd      v         Newquay (to be played at Newquay's Mount Wise)

Liskeard Athletic     v          Launceston

Camelford           v        St Blazey

38 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Does anybody with an insight into the current thinking of the Cornish FA know if this is being looked at? Potentially  losing Falmouth or Helston (both even) from the competition next season must surely be focusing minds.

Understand the points. But it also "releases" the opportunity for new sides to play in the cup next season? The likes of a St Day, Porthleven, etc, whoever is promoted from Step 7. 

17 hours ago, Tavi Fan said:

I’m obviously late to the party but why aren’t Truro and Mousehole in this competition?

Look again Tavi 

On 10/10/2023 at 23:59, Dave Deacon said:

2nd Round draw (dates may still change for a couple of the ties)

07/11/23

AFC St Austell     v       Saltash United
Falmouth Town v      Torpoint Athletic

Penzance         v              Mullion

08/11/23

Dobwalls      v              Helston Athletic

Bodmin Town    v        Bude Town

Truro City 2nd      v         Newquay (to be played at Newquay's Mount Wise)

Liskeard Athletic     v          Launceston

Camelford           v        St Blazey

34 minutes ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

Understand the points. But it also "releases" the opportunity for new sides to play in the cup next season? The likes of a St Day, Porthleven, etc, whoever is promoted from Step 7. 

Would be great to see those sides in the Senior Cup, but why should they be instead of any step 4 (and above) sides and not as well as? Seems the Cornish FA are missing a trick, and not best using what they have, by not having all the top tier clubs in their blue riband competition. Surely it would only be enhanced by the likes of Mousehole playing an away tie at Gala Parc against Porthleven (for example). 

23 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Would be great to see those sides in the Senior Cup, but why should they be instead of any step 4 (and above) sides and not as well as? Seems the Cornish FA are missing a trick, and not best using what they have, by not having all the top tier clubs in their blue riband competition. Surely it would only be enhanced by the likes of Mousehole playing an away tie at Gala Parc against Porthleven (for example). 

Yeah I'd completely agree with that. Over the next couple of years you could lose a few of the biggest clubs in the county for the county's marquee competition. If the Cornish FA are reading this and want to pay me an equivalent salary so I can quit my day job to join their debate team I'd be willing to listen... 🤣 

46 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

I don’t get the the Cornwall senior cup only being open to certain teams surly just let all Cornish teams enter regardless of level bit like fa cup. .  Imagine one of the smaller sides get to visit Truro etc  when they return or a Falmouth v Truro evening cup  game. Surly would draw massive crowds. 

I think the fact that the lower level teams took the stance that they didn't stand a chance was why the change came about after all the 'Senior' clubs had the chance to vote on the proposed change!

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

I think the fact that the lower level teams took the stance that they didn't stand a chance was why the change came about after all the 'Senior' clubs had the chance to vote on the proposed change!

I remember going to St Teath with saltash.  We won 15-0. Neither team got anything from the game at all 

22 minutes ago, Dane said:

I remember going to St Teath with saltash.  We won 15-0. Neither team got anything from the game at all 

But that sort of thing is going to happen in cup competitions isn’t it. Let’s be fair, very few teams have a chance of winning the cup, but surely it doesn’t mean you don’t enter it!

3 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

But that sort of thing is going to happen in cup competitions isn’t it. Let’s be fair, very few teams have a chance of winning the cup, but surely it doesn’t mean you don’t enter it!

There is an argument for both sides I guess. It’s one that just sticks out but wouldn’t have been the only one. I just remember thinking from our point of view, its a bit of a wasted afternoon when the match is less competitive then a game in training!  and from their point of view, nothing would have been enjoyable or memorable about that day for them.  

7 hours ago, Dane said:

There is an argument for both sides I guess. It’s one that just sticks out but wouldn’t have been the only one. I just remember thinking from our point of view, its a bit of a wasted afternoon when the match is less competitive then a game in training!  and from their point of view, nothing would have been enjoyable or memorable about that day for them.  

Can now see why you sounded a bit down and distracted during the end of your time at Bodmin. Sure I join everybody on this forum Dane in sending our best wishes, and hoping you're back on peak form soon.

3 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Can now see why you sounded a bit down and distracted during the end of your time at Bodmin. Sure I join everybody on this forum Dane in sending our best wishes, and hoping you're back on peak form soon.

Thank you, appreciate the message