Cornwall Football Forum

Liskeard v West Brom U23 & Falmouth?

Couple of classy friendlies lined up for Lux Park on consecutive evenings this week (tonight & Wednesday). Just wondering how the Liskeard team selection will work 'fatigue-risk' wise? Stiff opposition in a very short time frame 🤔. Not sure how big the squad currently is this season? All credit to them for putting some quality friendlies on though 👏 

11 minutes ago, Dave Deacon said:

How was the game please anyone who watched it?

liskeard very well organised against a youthful and quick west brom team. had a couple chances the blues themselves, missing smith & downing up top tonight.  playing another friendly tomorrow night, fair play to them. 

Liskeard 0-2 WBA U23s

Liskeard playing vs very organised Cat 1 academy tonight in West Brom, held their own but the fitness and organisation of the 23s proved too much for the blues, as expected. Liskeard didn’t disgrace themselves though and had a few players missing. New signings Downing and Smith not there. What I understand couple injuries picked up too in Harry Jeffrey, Dan Jennings and Ben Collins, hopefully just short term. Understand goalkeeper Luke Gwillam awaiting ACL surgery so he is out for the long run so looks like Sam Borthwick will be in goal this season for the Blues, and they had Bradley Agar on the bench who came on last 20 minutes, probably to give Borthwick chance to recover for tomorrow night vs Falmouth.

LISKEARD   2-3   FALMOUTH

Really good competitive game that didn’t feel like a friendly, fast paced, 2 fit teams, both teams on top for spells in the game. Lot of positives for both teams would have thought 👍️  The hosts starting the brighter and took the lead through Dan Jennings from close range at the second attempt, proper strikers goal after a good build up.  The rest of the half belonged to Falmouth and their 2 debut boys from Newquay, Bradley Leivers and Jarod Sims both celebrated with goals, Brads a superb header from a corner and Simsy cooling slotting into the corner after being put clear, the pair combined again just after with Brads cross and Jarods diving header well tipped over the bar by the keeper.  Jacob Grange finished the 1st half scoring with a good finish in off the far post. 

Plenty of good performers on the night, thought Max Gilbert and Jarrod Woods in midfield for the blues were quality, Town had some really promising youngsters good to see, and James Ward and Tom Annear solid at the back, Wardy reminds me of my old Town team mate Tommy Matthews, his timing and  heading ability is a sight to see, never loses one! Liskeard brought on Jack Rapsey at half time and he made up a dangerous front 3 with DJ and Mike Smith and they pulled a goal back with Smith heading in off the underside of the crossbar at the far post. Town also had their chances towards the end but the finishing was a bit wild with a few shots well clearing the bar although Toms free kick tested the keeper. 

Match well reffed by Mr Shaun Edge, couple of 1st half challenges a bit late and reckless and might have been different if not a friendly but he handled the situations well. Game played in pretty good spirits I thought, some lovely football from both teams at times, and always great to see about 30/40 of the F Troop there in a decent crowd around the 150 mark I would have thought. Got to say well done to JC for his 🍔 cheeseburgers before the game, absolute top quality mate!! Would have given Helstons Blue Kitchen a run for their money! 👏🏼😋👍

8 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Really good competitive game that didn’t feel like a friendly, fast paced, 2 fit teams, both teams on top for spells in the game. Lot of positives for both teams would have thought 👍️  The hosts starting the brighter and took the lead through Dan Jennings from close range at the second attempt, proper strikers goal after a good build up.  The rest of the half belonged to Falmouth and their 2 debut boys from Newquay, Bradley Leivers and Jarod Sims both celebrated with goals, Brads a superb header from a corner and Simsy cooling slotting into the corner after being put clear, the pair combined again just after with Brads cross and Jarods diving header well tipped over the bar by the keeper.  Jacob Grange finished the 1st half scoring with a good finish in off the far post. 

Plenty of good performers on the night, thought Max Gilbert and Jarrod Woods in midfield for the blues were quality, Town had some really promising youngsters good to see, and James Ward and Tom Annear solid at the back, Wardy reminds me of my old Town team mate Tommy Matthews, his timing and  heading ability is a sight to see, never loses one! Liskeard brought on Jack Rapsey at half time and he made up a dangerous front 3 with DJ and Mike Smith and they pulled a goal back with Smith heading in off the underside of the crossbar at the far post. Town also had their chances towards the end but the finishing was a bit wild with a few shots well clearing the bar although Toms free kick tested the keeper. 

Match well reffed by Mr Shaun Edge, couple of 1st half challenges a bit late and reckless and might have been different if not a friendly but he handled the situations well. Game played in pretty good spirits I thought, some lovely football from both teams at times, and always great to see about 30/40 of the F Troop there in a decent crowd around the 150 mark I would have thought. Got to say well done to JC for his 🍔 cheeseburgers before the game, absolute top quality mate!! Would have given Helstons Blue Kitchen a run for their money! 👏🏼😋👍

Cheers Rappo, great to see you last night looking all tanned, relaxed and ready for another cracking season. Glad you enjoyed your Lux Burger, another great accurate report, Blues understandably a bit leggy second half after working hard against West Brom the night before. Today and tomorrow to get some much earned rest before the big one against Huddersfield Saturday, another chance for me to practise my BBQ skills😂. Unfortunately that much earned rest will consist of working on site for most of them stacking blocks! Pro’s don’t appreciate how easy they’ve got it do they! Anyway great to see you and catch up soon mate, first podcast can’t be far away.

20 hours ago, Toroloco13 said:

Seeing as no one gets paid for friendlies .. they’ll have a long wait 😂

I'm not telling teams who they should pay but I really can't get my head around players getting/needing expenses for league/cup games but not needing expenses for friendlies........is petrol etc free for these games?

However......that's down to each team's procedures so I'm not picking out Liskeard....just I've seen this mentioned a lot

18 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Mark can you remember the Liskeard  lineup  for the match record ?

Falmouth-Morgan Coxhead-James Swan (Luke Barner)-Max Everall(Luke Brabyn)-Andreas C/S -Tom Annear-James Ward (C)_Jacob Grange-Jack Webber(Tom Fisher)-Alex Wharton(Jos Plummer)-Jared Sims(elisha Snell)-Bradley Leivers.

16 hours ago, Mike Odgers said:

Mark can you remember the Liskeard  lineup  for the match record ?

Falmouth-Morgan Coxhead-James Swan (Luke Barner)-Max Everall(Luke Brabyn)-Andreas C/S -Tom Annear-James Ward (C)_Jacob Grange-Jack Webber(Tom Fisher)-Alex Wharton(Jos Plummer)-Jared Sims(elisha Snell)-Bradley Leivers.

Brad Agar, Harvey Mullis, Dylan Peel, Jack Podmore, Ben Collins, Macauley Thorp, Max Gilbert, Harry Jeffery, Dan Jennings, Mikey Smith, Finn Bartlett - Jack Rapsey 
Tom Bennett, Tom Savigar, Jarrad Woods, 
Jamie Gilbert, Will Gilbert, Gary Carpenter