Cornwall Football Forum

After a season of struggle Perranporth have advised the League that they are withdrawing from the West Division with immediate effect.
As a result of this withdrawal, and the earlier withdrawal of Ludgvan, no team will be relegated from the West Division at the end of the 2022-23 season as per Rule 22f(iv) and Sticker will receive a 'bye' in the first round of the League Cup.

Feel sorry for the club but they have done themselves proud stepping up from the second team to really try and keep the club going. When you see a club like callington pulling out of a game in the senior cup as they didn’t want to travel these boys can look at themselves and be proud at perran. 

Such a shame and I know it wasn’t a decision made likely.A club that worked so hard to reach the St.Pirans league-and I know hindsight is a brilliant thing but now to see the club have to build again from the lower junior leagues without the continuity of having a team will be demoralising for every both on and off the pitch who worked so very hard.I wish everyone involved the very best

On 06/10/2022 at 14:18, Steve Carpenter said:

After a season of struggle Perranporth have advised the League that they are withdrawing from the West Division with immediate effect.
As a result of this withdrawal, and the earlier withdrawal of Ludgvan, no team will be relegated from the West Division at the end of the 2022-23 season as per Rule 22f(iv) and Sticker will receive a 'bye' in the first round of the League Cup.

As I said feel for perran but no relegation honestly what sort of leagues that , 100% a leagues gotta get binned off all these teams dropping out right across all Cornwall , don’t know whose bottom now but effectively they can lose every game here in 🤯 makes it competitive doesn’t it !! 🤷‍♂️

On 07/10/2022 at 19:11, 6times said:

As I said feel for perran but no relegation honestly what sort of leagues that , 100% a leagues gotta get binned off all these teams dropping out right across all Cornwall , don’t know whose bottom now but effectively they can lose every game here in 🤯 makes it competitive doesn’t it !! 🤷‍♂️

This is not an uncommon rule and there are very good reasons as to why it's in place.  It effectively places the withdrawn clubs in the relegation places and is pretty much the same as in the NLS where last season Porthleven were treated as the bottom club of SWPL West.

If you're seriously suggesting that the bottom 2 should still be relegated, give some thought to the mechanics of that.  Maybe then you'll understand.

1 hour ago, Steve Carpenter said:

This is not an uncommon rule and there are very good reasons as to why it's in place.  It effectively places the withdrawn clubs in the relegation places and is pretty much the same as in the NLS where last season Porthleven were treated as the bottom club of SWPL West.

If your seriously suggesting that the bottom 2 should still be relegated, give some thought to the mechanics of that.  Maybe then you'll understand.

I’m suggesting getting together with the peninsular east/west  and combo and st piran east league and getting rid of a minimum of 1 possibly 2 ,so less leagues more players maybe then Cornish football may go back to being more competitive cause at the moment it’s a **** show , yep porthleven dropping out last year did nothing to improve st Dennis penzance etc . Huge sympathy for perranporth can’t fault there effort but happening far to often and makes all these leagues and football poorer .

3 minutes ago, 6times said:

I’m suggesting getting together with the peninsular east/west  and combo and st piran east league and getting rid of a minimum of 1 possibly 2 ,so less leagues more players maybe then Cornish football may go back to being more competitive cause at the moment it’s a shit show , yep porthleven dropping out last year did nothing to improve st Dennis penzance etc . Huge sympathy for perranporth can’t fault there effort but happening far to often and makes all these leagues and football poorer .

I agree with you that there needs to be a restrucure and if you look elsewhere you'll see that that work is already underway.

23 hours ago, Box 2 Box said:

It’s becoming a bit of a pointless league …

Steve how many from the west can be promoted ? No one can now be relegated … Many teams can’t be promoted regardless of where they finish due to rules. In my eyes it looks to be between St Day and Truro who ever finish’s highest in the top five? 

what is the point to this league ? It’s supposed to be a feeder league 🤷 

In a normal season only 1 can be promoted from each division but with the merger above at the end of this season it's probably going to be 2 as a one off.

Remember, there has to be a feeder league in the FA's system.  St Piran only exists because the ECPL and Combination didn't want to take on the Step 7 (as it was then) mantle.  One of the requirements of a feeder league is that it must have at least 14 teams (in our case per division) at the start of the season.