Cornwall Football Forum

More teams, less players??????

Same old story again, new teams forming and not enough players to go around! Our reserves in Penzance really struggling with the departure of our long serving manager and seemingly the core of the team jumping ship to join Pendeen 2nd team???? 
It just makes no sense year upon year this always happens 

19 hours ago, THEMAGPIE said:

Same old story again, new teams forming and not enough players to go around! Our reserves in Penzance really struggling with the departure of our long serving manager and seemingly the core of the team jumping ship to join Pendeen 2nd team???? 

It’s more annoying when the teams get three games into the season and then fold or in some cases don’t even start the season at all

1 hour ago, mbkted said:

It’s more annoying when the teams get three games into the season and then fold or in some cases don’t even start the season at all

Probably be the case again, absolutely stupid signings in my opinion to be playing in presumably the bottom division, Penzance have lost a fair few key players from what I’ve seen on social media which is frustrating especially as we’ve just been promoted to the Premier division.

10 hours ago, Postman Pat said:

The real worry is that there are a lot fewer teams than when the Trelawney league first started so this means a dramatic drop of interest in playing football.

If we take take a point in time (August 1982 for example, 40 years ago), how many divisions of organised, affiliated, Saturday foot ball was there in Cornwall? 

Off the top of my head, that would be across South Western, Combination, East Cornwall, Duchy, Mining League and a few others I've forgotten. You also used to have Cornish sides playing in the Plymouth & District and Plymouth Combination leagues.

6 minutes ago, bighairydave said:

According to the stats sent by the County FA there was an increase in coverage last season.

And with 3 more courses in next few weeks it is looking positive.

That’s great news. Maybe we can treat this new crop with some respect and leniency while they learn and benefit Cornish football for all. 

3 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

If we take take a point in time (August 1982 for example, 40 years ago), how many divisions of organised, affiliated, Saturday foot ball was there in Cornwall? 

Off the top of my head, that would be across South Western, Combination, East Cornwall, Duchy, Mining League and a few others I've forgotten. You also used to have Cornish sides playing in the Plymouth & District and Plymouth Combination leagues.

For clubs in SE Cornwall like mine, it was often more convenient to play in P & D. If I remember rightly I think it was John Ryder who was very anti Cornish teams playing in Devon and eventually he used the rule book to force us all back into Cornish leagues

7 hours ago, Foul Throw 3 said:

That’s great news. Maybe we can treat this new crop with some respect and leniency while they learn and benefit Cornish football for all. 

Not a chance. You are dealing with footballers. A whingeing, moaning, cheating, unhappy, groaning, complaining bunch of hard-done-by saints. I am one. I know. Go easy on the new guy. Ha. I have reffed a few games, voluntarily, tried my best to explain at the outset that I will make mistakes, as everyone will, but will do my best, and so on and so forth. Good luck to anyone willing to take up the whistle. It is a thankless task in the main. Few appreciate the efforts of the ref to give what he sees in the face of criticism from all sides.

It's like saying to both teams before kick-off, "now if the ball comes off you and goes out of play, please let me know if I do not spot that and give the throw or corner the wrong way". Not. A. CHANCE.

On 18/06/2022 at 18:21, THEMAGPIE said:

As you say, same old story. I have been saying for years that new teams should be stopped from joining for 3 or 4 years. Not enough to go around already. Crazy.

2 hours ago, Mangle said:

Not a chance. You are dealing with footballers. A whingeing, moaning, cheating, unhappy, groaning, complaining bunch of hard-done-by saints. I am one. I know. Go easy on the new guy. Ha. I have reffed a few games, voluntarily, tried my best to explain at the outset that I will make mistakes, as everyone will, but will do my best, and so on and so forth. Good luck to anyone willing to take up the whistle. It is a thankless task in the main. Few appreciate the efforts of the ref to give what he sees in the face of criticism from all sides.

It's like saying to both teams before kick-off, "now if the ball comes off you and goes out of play, please let me know if I do not spot that and give the throw or corner the wrong way". Not. A. CHANCE.

As you say, same old story. I have been saying for years that new teams should be stopped from joining for 3 or 4 years. Not enough to go around already. Crazy.

Presumably the clubs have the option to not vote for anyone at their respective AGM/EGM so why do they?

On 18/06/2022 at 18:21, THEMAGPIE said:

Why pendeen?

37 minutes ago, THEMAGPIE said:

No idea, seems to be the next place the usual band of players gravitate to, it’s an outpost of a Club, Penlee park or a cow field down by a lighthouse?? I know where I’d rather play 

But it doesn't help if presumably the Reserves are still without a manager!

It's probably more like less teams and less players.

In Trelawny's second season (2012-13) the season started with 102 teams and ended the season with @3700 registered players.

For 2021-22 it was 52 teams and a total of @2700 registered players.

Even allowing for the 'St Piran effect' that's still a significant drop off and with some losses again expected from the current numbers the challenge is obvious. 

10 hours ago, THEMAGPIE said:

No idea, seems to be the next place the usual band of players gravitate to, it’s an outpost of a Club, Penlee park or a cow field down by a lighthouse?? I know where I’d rather play 

Well rather play at the cow field really with the state of penzance and don’t forget you have the cow shed stand. And maybe ask massy for some money to do you’re shed up after giving you players as well and a mower from what I seen last year 🤣🤣 

We all have our own reasons for moving.

All three of us...steve me and joey all played together for years. 

Steve moved because penzance lost thier manager. 

I moved because i finished joint top goalscorer and never got a trophy but the other player did.

And joey moved because like i said we all played together so he was not going to be the lone plum.

I get people are prob annoyed about the transfers. But we joined penzance to help the new younger players come on. And we have now done that. Time to move on and share the wealth of experience. 

Let’s draw a line under this,

The three Penzance lads that have joined our squad have been a great addition, players move on for various reasons that’s they're own business, mud slinging on here is not a good look for any Club or anyone associated with it, the lads all done a great job for Penzance and I’m sure they’ll do the same for us.

I personally wish Penzance all the best for the coming season.

Perhaps ppl should be less picky and more willing to give players a chance regardless of there age or ability... I would rate myself through the years of playing as an average player.... there have been times where my reputation was a must be player to have in the squad but I've also been on the other end where I'd be lucky to get 10 mins of football.... both at the start of my football days and nearer the end.... I still believe I have enough in me now to play.... I stopped due to personal reasons but wanna get back into the game.... I recently posted that I was looking for a team to get back into football..... that post has had 1 response over 283+ views.... now... none of us are interested in a sports to lose or come last.... obviously.... but i hear and see so much moaning about more teams... lack of players.... or lack of refs etc.... perhaps if ppl had a bit for respect and just enjoyed the game then maybe there would be more interest.... its just as easy to put an amazing player off pressuring them as it is someone who may not be the best at first.... but could be if they just had that bit of encouragement. I couldn't kick a ball with either feet when I first joined a club at 10 years old.... by the 3rd season I was the captain of my second club until I left school.... i don't rate myself as amazing but I do believe with the encouragement I had withe the motivation and determination is what made me a half decent sportsman. This will never be a professional league.... stop pressuring the quality players.... stop excluding the not so good players that turn upto every training session... every match regardless of the amount of game time they get and maybe.... just maybe.... ppl will start getting interested again. Football is suppose to be fun.... enjoy it... you can't play forever

On 24/06/2022 at 23:31, Steve Carpenter said:

It's probably more like less teams and less players.

In Trelawny's second season (2012-13) the season started with 102 teams and ended the season with @3700 registered players.

For 2021-22 it was 52 teams and a total of @2700 registered players.

Even allowing for the 'St Piran effect' that's still a significant drop off and with some losses again expected from the current numbers the challenge is obvious. 

Hi Steve it's your old pal from Newlyn lions... ppl like to moan but there Is a reason for the significant loss of clubs and players...  everyone wants the very best players even if they only turn up when they want too and overlook those who are willing to turn up every week regardless of there ability. And I wonder why ppl have lost interest?? 🤔 perhaps ppl should stop moaning and start enjoying the beautiful game?? Just a thought. Glad to see your still involved hope you are well and many thanks for your help and support you gave me over the years with Newlyn lions.