Cornwall Football Forum

River Allen to Blazey

On 11/07/2022 at 22:49, Paul said:

Windmill 1v2 St Blazey.

Played at Callingtons 3G? 4G? Who knows. Played in very hot condition on a very tight pitch. We've played Windmill a few times during pre season and they've always been very competitive. Both pre season friendlies Played on astro so far and both games featuring a goal from the half way line. Their training pitches and that's that. 

Saturday we face Millbridge at Blaise Park before we face Falmouth Town on the following Wednesday. 

According to the school website  who own it and marsh parc, it is a 3g pitch which has recently been renewed,in the last18 months, and has fa accreditation to host league games ,

1 minute ago, Footy Detective said:

I was told recently ( don’t know if this is correct ) but the surface temperature of a 3G/4G pitch in these weather conditions can hit a staggering 65c . 

wow, if true the it must be playing a factor. playing in heat in general does but coupled with effects of a 36/4g pitch it must be putting a lot of strain on players. I see the temperatures are set to continue this week and even get hotter. I will be down at Mountwise to watch Newquay at the weekend, might have to take a dip in the sea after!

11 hours ago, tamar.man said:

According to the school website  who own it and marsh parc, it is a 3g pitch which has recently been renewed,in the last18 months, and has fa accreditation to host league games ,

4G only applies to mobile phone systems; no 4th generation football pitches exist yet but I guess some manufacturers are working on developing a more "forgiving" playing surface!

9 hours ago, Footy follower said:

So he's not Correct then

I was talking about approved football surfaces. You can buy artificial grass in lots of places but it's not suitable for football. Neither would the FA provide any funding for anything other than 3G. Improvements to the present materials used on 3G pitches are obviously being tested by manufactures, and they might be accepted and known as 4G pitches sometime in the future but I will stick with my opinion that 4G only applies to mobile phone systems - at the moment

Screenshot_2022-07-14-17-22-31-06_dc00545bd3b8828f033a02ac25b2d36d.jpg

37 minutes ago, John Mead said:

I was talking about approved football surfaces. You can buy artificial grass in lots of places but it's not suitable for football. Neither would the FA provide any funding for anything other than 3G. Improvements to the present materials used on 3G pitches are obviously being tested by manufactures, and they might be accepted and known as 4G pitches sometime in the future but I will stick with my opinion that 4G only applies to mobile phone systems - at the moment

Wrong 

1 hour ago, John Mead said:

Correct John. 

No accredited game would be played on a '4G' that I know of.

Let billy silly have it in his opinion.

This seems to be the place to comment despite the heading.

Shaun Vincent was the Callington Town Manager last season. Shaun Vincent is the Callington Town Manager this season. Shuan return to the Club and took full charge following the departure of Matt Hayden. 

Shaun built a team and results improved he added Ryan Fice to the coaching team and the results are there to see. 

Ryan chose to move to St Blazey that's football.

Shuan is the most decent honest committed Manager I ve worked with and Calliington Towns improvement is down to him as The Manager. Deserves more credit than he's getting doesn't seek it but we at Callington are very lucky to have him.

Steve Blatchford 

Chairman 

Callington Town FC

9 hours ago, John Mead said:

Perhaps someone can enlighten me as to where I can find a  4G football pitch?

I myself will bow to better knowledge from people like yourself inside the game. 

I found lots of mentions on the internet

of 4g and it being approved by fifa and fa but at the same time I also found that the earth may be flat 😂😂

1 hour ago, Pitch Care Guru said:

This seems to be the place to comment despite the heading.

Shaun Vincent was the Callington Town Manager last season. Shaun Vincent is the Callington Town Manager this season. Shuan return to the Club and took full charge following the departure of Matt Hayden. 

Shaun built a team and results improved he added Ryan Fice to the coaching team and the results are there to see. 

Ryan chose to move to St Blazey that's football.

Shuan is the most decent honest committed Manager I ve worked with and Calliington Towns improvement is down to him as The Manager. Deserves more credit than he's getting doesn't seek it but we at Callington are very lucky to have him.

Steve Blatchford 

Chairman 

Callington Town FC

I'm not sure there's been much on here to say otherwise to be fair. 

A passionate football man from what I've seen and has improved each club he's been at

17 hours ago, John Mead said:

Perhaps someone can enlighten me as to where I can find a  4G football pitch?

https://www.softsurfaces.co.uk/4g-grass-football-pitch-sports-surfacing-synthetic-turf-carpet/

Sorry I don't know how to copy and paste the text but if you can follow the link above, it explains what I believe to be the current situation with artificial playing surfaces! It's from 2012 but my understanding is that it's still the case.

John , you said that there were no 4G football pitches and that the word 4G only applied to telecommunications and that they were working on developing a more forgiving surface.

There are no 4G pitches used in competitive FA approved football ( that is correct )but many schools , colleges and sports centres use 4G pitches and that is where you will find them.

21 hours ago, Footy Detective said:

John , you said that there were no 4G football pitches and that the word 4G only applied to telecommunications and that they were working on developing a more forgiving surface.

There are no 4G pitches used in competitive FA approved football ( that is correct )but many schools , colleges and sports centres use 4G pitches and that is where you will find them.

There are indeed some schools, colleges and sports centres who have fully funded their own artificial grass pitches (Truro & Penwith College, for example) but the vast majority have been partly funded by the FA and are therefore 3G. 

Although they were never referred to as 1G or 2G, the early artificial pitches were known as Astro and firstly consisted of a plain carpet with no infill and then a carpet with a sand infill. As you know, 3G has a carpet with rubber crumb infill. My question would be, how does a "4G" surface differ from any of the above?

I know there has been controversy in the USA about the safety of rubber crumb, due to using contaminated tyres during the recycling and manufacture. I understand we have much tighter regulations in the UK but there is still a strong desire to find an alternative infill medium which has the same playing qualities as rubber crumb; if successful, this could be honestly marketed as 4G, as it would be a new product, rather than a minor variation of those already available. 

I accept that manufacturers have the right to call their products whatever they want to, especially if it's a good marketing ploy.

11 hours ago, John Mead said:

There are indeed some schools, colleges and sports centres who have fully funded their own artificial grass pitches (Truro & Penwith College, for example) but the vast majority have been partly funded by the FA and are therefore 3G. 

Although they were never referred to as 1G or 2G, the early artificial pitches were known as Astro and firstly consisted of a plain carpet with no infill and then a carpet with a sand infill. As you know, 3G has a carpet with rubber crumb infill. My question would be, how does a "4G" surface differ from any of the above?

I know there has been controversy in the USA about the safety of rubber crumb, due to using contaminated tyres during the recycling and manufacture. I understand we have much tighter regulations in the UK but there is still a strong desire to find an alternative infill medium which has the same playing qualities as rubber crumb; if successful, this could be honestly marketed as 4G, as it would be a new product, rather than a minor variation of those already available. 

I accept that manufacturers have the right to call their products whatever they want to, especially if it's a good marketing ploy.

I have read that the Dutch are removing all of their 3G pitches due to safety concerns (cancer)

Apparently an unusually high number  of incidents in youngsters who use them, particularly in goalkeepers!

7 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

I have read that the Dutch are removing all of their 3G pitches due to safety concerns (cancer)

Apparently an unusually high number  of incidents in youngsters who use them, particularly in goalkeepers!

I know there was great concern in the US when it was found that they were recycling the tyres from the trucks used in arsenic mines. Contamination is always an issue with recycled materials; you just don't know where it's been! I've also read about the health problems in the Netherlands. It's certainly a worry which needs much more investigation. 

Enough on the 3G/4G debate; as above, there are far more important issues in sport and life!

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, tamar.man said:

3 different leagues so he can sign and play for each of them in the same season,which should not be allowed in my opinion!

It shouldn’t be allowed should sign for one club and that covers you to play for what ever side they have at the club! Quick the rule changes the better clubs will find putting a team out each week