Cornwall Football Forum

Did you hear that because of social distancing and the subsequent lack of available pitches for campers the government are planning to commandeer all the football pitches in the County for overflow holiday villages to save the economy, after all nobody’s going to be using them for footie this year 🚌️🏕🗣

32 minutes ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Did you hear that because of social distancing and the subsequent lack of available pitches for campers the government are planning to commandeer all the football pitches in the County for overflow holiday villages to save the economy, after all nobody’s going to be using them for footie this year 🚌️🏕🗣

I wouldn't want to be the person who tells me !!!!

1 hour ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

So they are going to put lots of people all in one place. Nothing like football then. Hope they pass on the profit to the clubs 

Gave the pitch a good brushing today after a small couple of 6 a side practice matches last night, and wanted to stand the grass up for hopefully a nice cut tomorrow after ladies practice tonight. 

Grass is a bit on the thick side so may give it a light scarifying next week.

Screenshot_20200701-153826_Gallery.jpg

Grass looking a bit on thick spongy side for my liking.

Screenshot_20200701-153822_Gallery.jpg

But the brushing did a good job of standing the stolon's up for nipping off.

Screenshot_20200701-153815_Gallery.jpg

Sod it...red thread back already!  Only fertilised 4 weeks ago and its  washed through the profile with all the rain we've had. The fertiliser should have lasted around 8 weeks not 4 now I'll have to do it again IF there's enough rain around.

Red thread thrives in poor conditions with wet and warmth to support it,  although it won't kill the grass it will knock the leaves off and make the ground look quite poor!  I think I'm paying the price for keeping my Nitrogen levels low in favour of growing roots, I'll have to rethink my strategy methinks. 

You boys who use the slow release stuff...are you getting any Red thread???

Screenshot_20200705-153143_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200705-153140_Gallery.jpg

I see in the (top) picture that you are kind enough to provide ammunition for the football hooligans!
Is this hard core for a path or potential drainage ditch? I do know that some Peninsula League clubs are being refused ground grading for having loose gravel close to the pitch, which is seen by the “powers that be” as a risk of use as missiles.

The Slow release products will help in keeping red thread at bay. However, with such good growth at the moment, the grass plant can often “out grow” its self. If will grow faster than it’s able to process any available N. 

Unless it’s really bad, I’d be inclined not to panic just yet. When the sun comes out, it should dry the surface a little, and settle down.

Some sunnier weather, and a dry leaf, will also give a better, less sappy cut.

4 hours ago, Ieuan Gregory said:

No sign of red thread yet Dave got a nice thick sward but some clover, a bit of a left over from when I sowed the pitch with 5% micro clover for several years. As Mr Green says sunshine might dry the sward out a bit and settle the plant down.

Yes Ieuan, spraying clover as well but slowly winning!

Yup a few dry days will help but the pitch is showing a lot of the stuff now, my fears have come true with the rain after fertilising  it was too heavy and has caused flushing in some areas and washed it away in others! That's where the red thread is....bugger.

Yes Mrgreen it's certainly growing... I'm cutting 3 times a week at this time!

2 hours ago, Paul said:

First cut with the cylinder mower tonight on the goalmouths. Really starting to thicken up now. 🌱 Both goal mouths have grown that much with the rain, the warmth and heavy dew that it took 4 cuts to bring it back down. 😮 Just over 4 weeks to get it from nothing to full coverage. 

20200708_221411.jpg

Lovely colour there buddy.

What cylinder you using? You going to pick that cut grass up or spread it?

Do you brush before you cut?

Looking good.

As it was getting dark i brushed it in and with the rain today that will wash the area in nicely. Didnt want to much left on to rot and clump together. We have a Jacobson Tri king 1900D. Leaves a lovely cut but ive left it go a touch to long so using a rotary mower to lower the grass again. 

I dont have a brush for the pitch at the moment. Something we do need at some point. I tend to let the grass stand up again before cutting. 

20200709_083341.jpg

looking good Paul never ceases to amaze me how the small change in the weather patterns down here can have such a dramatic effect on the turf. On another note Dave got some Red Thread on my mini pitch just noticed it this morning. That has slow release fertiliser on as well, see how it goes over the next few days of warmth.

1 hour ago, Ieuan Gregory said:

looking good Paul never ceases to amaze me how the small change in the weather patterns down here can have such a dramatic effect on the turf. On another note Dave got some Red Thread on my mini pitch just noticed it this morning. That has slow release fertiliser on as well, see how it goes over the next few days of warmth.

To me that would mean the fertiliser has gone buddy.

How long was it down for(?)

‐----‐--------------------------

This is now for sale if anyone wants a serious brush.

Not needed now we have the Sisis flexicomb.

Screenshot_20200709-134828_Gallery.jpg

1 hour ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Just shows how beautiful a football pitch can look when there’s no players around to screw it up!

Spot on...easy times at the moment...lol

Brushed it early morning to get the dew off, then a couple of hours nipping it off in the middle of the day.

Just finished and the sun came out and it was glowing so nicked a picture off the new roof camera. Happy at this time!

22 minutes ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Lovely pictures from your roof camera Older, must be a bit precarious though climbing up to.press the shutter and change the plates 📸️Mind you don’t do yourself an injury 🤕

It's a bit more modern than that Bruegel. 

Sends the pictures to my phone and I just screenshot them...you gotta get down with the tech boys buddy...lol.

Just took this one and I'm sitting down at home...lol.

Screenshot_20200712-102647_Hik-Connect.jpg

So what have your Groundstaff of St Day AFC been up to for the past 6 weeks....working dam hard as always.

Thanks to WRSsportpitches for his help & guidance. Also thanks to all those that have donated on our crowd funding page. Not something we would have ever had time to do normally. Also glad we did this in June and not May, the weather has been on our side that's for sure.

Head over to our Facebook or Instagram to watch the 5 min video.

https://www.facebook.com/114860939171843/posts/586206828703916/

Screenshot_20200713-002555_Twitter.jpg

Kept that quiet Mark...lol.

Bet you some glad you got rid of that big dip on the main pitch buddy...I would be. 

Was the incoming soil analysed and put through a riddle?

Was there any sand in it?

Was it incorporated into the existing profile or just put on top?

Just my curiosity asking buddy.

Looking good though...pray for rain now - but not in the winter...lol.

Bit the bullet today and brushed opposite to the pattern!

The grass had started to lay too much in the pattern and started to get too many long ends so needed to stand it up for a better cut and thin it out a bit.

Standing up nicely after putting the heavy brush over it.

If I had had a verticutter I would have used that, this is simply a mower that cuts vertically instead of horizontally. 

Screenshot_20200716-202912_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200716-202909_Gallery.jpg

After brushing and the pattern still showing,  tomorrow I will cut against the pattern as well and that will remove the majority of the long ends and stolons.

Screenshot_20200716-203142_Gallery.jpg

Spotted this today out walking my dog, an area that has not been cut for a few months and full of a weed called self heal.

A seriously tough weed to get rid of if you get it in your pitch.

A bit of white clover showing as well. 

20200716_203359.jpg

Also the dry spots are just starting to show again...sod it out with the watering machine again if no rain in the next few days. 

Screenshot_20200716-203558_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200529-224322_Gallery.jpg

3 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Haha Bruegel, it is the mundane part of the season, not a lot happening,  just cut and catch up on other jobs other than on the pitch.

First friendly booked for 1st August! 

Then it gets busy, busy!

If it's played..lol.

I’m sorry Older, would you please delete the above post, it’s just not interesting enough. We do have standards here on the forum I’ll have you know! 
To all the ground staff, wishing you the best of luck for the new season. Not that there will be any problems this year with such a long preparation time, I’m sure that there will be no cancellations due to pitch conditions⛈️, just the inevitable periodic local lockdowns😷

Just now, Bruegel the Elder said:

I’m sorry Older, would you please delete the above post, it’s just not interesting enough. We do have standards here on the forum I’ll have you know! 
To all the ground staff, wishing you the best of luck for the new season. Not that there will be any problems this year with such a long preparation time, I’m sure that there will be no cancellations due to pitch conditions⛈️, just the inevitable periodic local lockdowns😷

And the rain!

44 minutes ago, Bruegel the Elder said:

Are you some kind of masochist Older, “happy days” indeed, when some bunch of ruffians are going to come along and wreck your lovingly prepared pitch, without caring about all the time and effort you’ve put in perfecting it (or will have to put in repairing it afterwards)!

We've been training on it for 4 weeks...lol

Ryan and myself went up to do the first markings today.

Got this far and then the rain came in!

Anyway we got the two baselines in so at least we got that done.

Always put the byelines first as these are the basis for nearly all the measurements.  Stringline down first then marry up the measuring tape and adjust to position and mark in.

Screenshot_20200723-152926_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200723-223402_Gallery.jpg

Gave the dry patches a good soaking yesterday and today to take advantage of the rain forecast, caught it spot on.

Problem is the Rooks can now dig in for Chafer/leatherjacket grubs...little sods making  a right mess!! But being an animal man I'll just live with it...ggrrrr!!!

Never mind.

Screenshot_20200723-152918_Gallery.jpg

Been a busy week achieving very little. Pitch was growing at a ridiculous rate. So much the cylinder mower just couldnt cut it. Out with a rotary to get it cut. Followed by another rotary which basically hoovered the pitch up nicely. Even now its very thick. Not got the finish i want. Then the sun burnt one end of the pitch very quickly. Out with a sprinkler. Weve also gone from a pitch with the odd weed to weeds everywhere in the space of two weeks. Finally today we started painting the lines in. Made a good start and in came the rain. Wont moan about that but typical timing. All in all a busy week but not the finish i want. The areas around the ground have had a detailed strim around posts and walls. Looks nice and tidy. The bank is next and thats at least 5 hours work on its own. Onwards and upwards.