Cornwall Football Forum

Trel;awny League Weds.28/8/19

Went and watched stithians play against Lanner tonight as a few of my mates play for stithians and saw something strange. After a awkward bounce and the ball hitting a stithians players hand before playing on for a bit then stithians scoring, Dave Bartlem who plays for Lanner tells the referee the goal shouldn’t stand so the referee then says oh yes you are right and disallows the goal after giving it and the players all ready to kick off again. Wether it’s the right rule or not surely the referee shouldn’t be taking goals off a team when a player from the other team says so? 

Probus 5 Tregony 2. A strong Probus team  won. Tregony took the lead thru Jason busby Probus equalised then took the lead before half time. Tregony had a couple of half chances but Probus looked dangerous with josh Penrose, Matt bray and Sean Johnson always carrying a threat. 2nd half Probus scores to make it 3-1 Jason busby scores another good goal, at 3-2 we hoped we could maybe get the equaliser but Probus scores 2 more really pleased with our (Tregony)  performance thought we really dug in and competed against Probus res. If Probus can keep this side together can’t see anyone stopping them this season 

29 minutes ago, Ron Manager said:

Wow, big result for Chacewater Nigel.

Was there a good crowd? I remember the same fixture last year had nearly 100. 

Huge result. Think Chace wanted it a little more to be honest. 2 goals in 2 minutes turned things around after TMS scored first. Mark Bell is a monster up front :D. Young Sol Murley kept Shackers pretty quiet. Young ref had a good game. I didn't **** up 😂. Happy days! 

I think crowd was around 50-60? 

22 minutes ago, ian beale said:

Went and watched stithians play against Lanner tonight as a few of my mates play for stithians and saw something strange. After a awkward bounce and the ball hitting a stithians players hand before playing on for a bit then stithians scoring, Dave Bartlem who plays for Lanner tells the referee the goal shouldn’t stand so the referee then says oh yes you are right and disallows the goal after giving it and the players all ready to kick off again. Wether it’s the right rule or not surely the referee shouldn’t be taking goals off a team when a player from the other team says so? 

Thanks for the mention... Took a bit longer than expected to be honest. If a ball hits a players hand and they score as a result, the goal is disallowed. It's a recent change to the laws - accidental or not. A quick reminder to the referee of the recent change and the correct decision was made. No point making a mountain out of a mole hill. If I'd had a lapse in a game I was refereeing and a player made a correct and relevant point to me, I'd do exactly the same as this ref did. He blew his whistle, said "Thank you, I forgot about that" and the game continued with the correct outcome. 

Screenshot_20190828-215346_Laws of the Game.jpg

23 minutes ago, chesterfield said:

Probus 5 Tregony 2. A strong Probus team  won. Tregony took the lead thru Jason busby Probus equalised then took the lead before half time. Tregony had a couple of half chances but Probus looked dangerous with josh Penrose, Matt bray and Sean Johnson always carrying a threat. 2nd half Probus scores to make it 3-1 Jason busby scores another good goal, at 3-2 we hoped we could maybe get the equaliser but Probus scores 2 more really pleased with our (Tregony)  performance thought we really dug in and competed against Probus res. If Probus can keep this side together can’t see anyone stopping them this season 

It was a good local derby and we were pleased to get the win in the end. It was nice to see former Probus players Steve Floyd-Norris, Martin Woolcock and Liam Cope back at St George's again.

Jason Busby is always going to cause teams at this level lots of problems, especially a team that has me in defence! #TooOldTooSLow Busby scored 2 very good solo goals (one in each half) and you cannot switch off with him around. Overall I thought that we deserved to win but we made it hard work with some sloppy play in amongst some excellent football.

As @chesterfield has said above Tregony took the lead with a breakaway goal from Jason Busby, we equalised and then took the lead with 2 excellent finishes from Adrian Majewski. Sean Johnstone then scored 2 goals, the second of which was from just inside the Tregony half after the keepers clearance fell to him. The final goal was a deflected effort from Ben Daniel that completely wrong footed the keeper.

I thought Jason Busby and Jack Cawrse were the standout players for Tregony, with Steven Floyd-Norris, as always, dominant at the back. Lots of good performances all around the pitch for us and it was pleasing to see the youngsters really up for the local derby battle. Nick Kemp did well in the middle in what can't of been an easy game to referee. 

It's unlikely we will keep this team together for the whole season as Josh Penrose and Matt Bray are only back until Uni starts again and Sean Johnstone isn't available every week due to work commitments. Also as a second team we will support the first team as and when needed, meaning it's unlikely that we will have the same team 2 weeks in a row! We are pleased to get a couple of early season wins in after a bit of a struggle last year.

No game for us on Saturday.

Chacewater 6- 1 tms 2nds Counted 85  at the rec before half time.

6-1 the final score in what was a tight game. The greens wanted it more & deserved their win. 2 pens &a couple bad mistakes made the scoreline not reflect the game. Having said that every Chacewater player gave his all & had a good game, Mark Bell, Scott Gilbert & Darren Bennett's caught my eye although any 1 of the Chacewater boys could make a claim for man of the match. 

16 minutes ago, Chris Davey said:

It was a good local derby and we were pleased to get the win in the end. It was nice to see former Probus players Steve Floyd-Norris, Martin Woolcock and Liam Cope back at St George's again.

Jason Busby is always going to cause teams at this level lots of problems, especially a team that has me in defence! #TooOldTooSLow Busby scored 2 very good solo goals (one in each half) and you cannot switch off with him around. Overall I thought that we deserved to win but we made it hard work with some sloppy play in amongst some excellent football.

As @chesterfield has said above Tregony took the lead with a breakaway goal from Jason Busby, we equalised and then took the lead with 2 excellent finishes from Adrian Majewski. Sean Johnstone then scored 2 goals, the second of which was from just inside the Tregony half after the keepers clearance fell to him. The final goal was a deflected effort from Ben Daniel that completely wrong footed the keeper.

I thought Jason Busby and Jack Cawrse were the standout players for Tregony, with Steven Floyd-Norris, as always, dominant at the back. Lots of good performances all around the pitch for us and it was pleasing to see the youngsters really up for the local derby battle. Nick Kemp did well in the middle in what can't of been an easy game to referee. 

It's unlikely we will keep this team together for the whole season as Josh Penrose and Matt Bray are only back until Uni starts again and Sean Johnstone isn't available every week due to work commitments. Also as a second team we will support the first team as and when needed, meaning it's unlikely that we will have the same team 2 weeks in a row! We are pleased to get a couple of early season wins in after a bit of a struggle last year.

No game for us on Saturday.

Although I’m an ex Probus player, no matter what,  I’ll always be a Tregony lad. Bit like you Chris davey😉

21 minutes ago, Dave Bartlam said:

Thanks for the mention... Took a bit longer than expected to be honest. If a ball hits a players hand and they score as a result, the goal is disallowed. It's a recent change to the laws - accidental or not. A quick reminder to the referee of the recent change and the correct decision was made. No point making a mountain out of a mole hill. If I'd had a lapse in a game I was refereeing and a player made a correct and relevant point to me, I'd do exactly the same as this ref did. He blew his whistle, said "Thank you, I forgot about that" and the game continued with the correct outcome. 

Screenshot_20190828-215346_Laws of the Game.jpg

Sorry mate I think if it’s was just a player saying  it the ref would tell them to shut up he’s made his decision 

4 minutes ago, Chris wells said:

Sorry mate I think if it’s was just a player saying  it the ref would tell them to shut up he’s made his decision 

I drew his attention to the ruling... He blew his whistle and I thought "oh bugger me here comes a card"... But then the law quoted above clicked and he thanked me. Regardless whether it happens to Lanner or Stithians, I'd have made the same point. 

It's often easy to get confused with the laws, especially when they are being pissed about with every single year. 

Stithians obviously weren't happy that I'd had a say... They made that clear (Along with a spectator or two) after the game... However, it was the correct decision in law by the referee. Well done that man 👌 we shouldn't take this "thing" away from what was a very good game.

1 minute ago, Dave Bartlam said:

I drew his attention to the ruling... He blew his whistle and I thought "oh bugger me here comes a card"... But then the law quoted above clicked and he thanked me. Regardless whether it happens to Lanner or Stithians, I'd have made the same point. 

It's often easy to get confused with the laws, especially when they are being pissed about with every single year. 

I understand what your saying abt this , but I think if it was a player who was not a ref then the ref would just carry on with the game . The ref should just ref it his way and not listen to to others coz will cause tribble , if it was the other way round would ppl speak up I don’t think so , glad I’m not a ref 

5 minutes ago, Chris wells said:

I understand what your saying abt this , but I think if it was a player who was not a ref then the ref would just carry on with the game . The ref should just ref it his way and not listen to to others coz will cause tribble , if it was the other way round would ppl speak up I don’t think so , glad I’m not a ref 

Dave hasn't suggested that he corrected the referee in his spotting of the hand ball; just in how the current rules state that incident should be handled. I can't personally see an issue with it. I'm assuming that the referee has noticed the accidental(?) hand ball and allowed play to continue. If that is an incorrect handling of the situation then surely it's not an issue to point it out. The referee didn't disallow the goal just because Dave had pointed it out, but because those are the the laws of the game.. 

I don't think it would make any difference Chris. Regardless of who it is and whether they've completed a ref course or not, if someone made me aware that a decision I had made was incorrect in law, I'd appreciate it and listen to it. It happened not long ago in a Man City game - hit danilo's arm, Jesus scored.... Goal ruled out.

How many times do we hear players appealing for a handball, a foul etc. How many times do I have players question a decision I've made when in the middle? It's absolutely no different. The difference is my observation (and mentioning of said observation) was correct in law, much to Stithians disapproval.

Ever wish you didn't respond to a comment because it changes the nature of a post? 🙄 

3 minutes ago, Dave Bartlam said:

I don't think it would make any difference Chris. Regardless of who it is and whether they've completed a ref course or not, if someone made me aware that a decision I had made was incorrect in law, I'd appreciate it and listen to it. It happened not long ago in a Man City game - hit danilo's arm, Jesus scored.... Goal ruled out.

How many times do we hear players appealing for a handball, a foul etc. How many times do I have players question a decision I've made when in the middle? It's absolutely no different. The difference is my observation (and mentioning of said observation) was correct in law, much to Stithians disapproval.

Ever wish you didn't respond to a comment because it changes the nature of a post? 🙄 

Only commented to say most refs wouldn’t listen to anyone really the ref we had at a game just gone saw abt 6 hand balls easy and didn’t give any even when called for and he was looking right at um :( when refs have a good game I always txt Paul to say they done well I don’t txt him if there not so good coz I’m sure refs know like players do when they have a off day 

As an aside from this specific incident. Does it suggest that having a qualified referee playing, in each team, would (potentially) be an advantage? Not just that they might be able to remind an official of the current laws of the game, but can also remind team mates of changed laws.

This is obviously in addition to the fact that more qualified referees puts more in the pool for all of us to benefit from! :)

5 minutes ago, Chris wells said:

Only commented to say most refs wouldn’t listen to anyone really the ref we had at a game just gone saw abt 6 hand balls easy and didn’t give any even when called for and he was looking right at um :( when refs have a good game I always txt Paul to say they done well I don’t txt him if there not so good coz I’m sure refs know like players do when they have a off day 

Handball law has changed dramatically this season bud. Difficult to get away with it now 

Just now, rgkeep said:

An an aside from this specific incident. Does it suggest that having a qualified referee playing, in each team, would (potentially) be an advantage? Not just that they might be able to remind an official of the current laws of the game, but can also remind team mates of changed laws.

This is obviously in addition to the fact that more qualified referees puts more in the pool for all of us to benefit from! :)

Definitely. I reminded another ref a few weeks ago about the change in the goal kick scenario. 

Only last season, I played in a game and my team scored a goal after a player received a ball from a goal kick... We scored... I mentioned to the referee that the ball didn't leave the penalty area... he overruled the goal. That was a goal for my own team. 

It's certainly an advantage having referees in a team because, more often than not they can help referees who might not be as experienced or have as much understanding of the LOTG. But, it's also handy (and you hit the nail on the head) when a referee makes a decision that your team can't understand. I'll let them know why he's done it and basically tell them to get off the refs back. It is definitely an advantage.

It's worth noting that there were a few qualified and registered referees at the game tonight who agreed with the referees decision to award the FK as opposed to the goal.

35 minutes ago, Dave Bartlam said:

Stithians obviously weren't happy that I'd had a say... They made that clear (Along with a spectator or two) after the game... However, it was the correct decision in law by the referee. Well done that man 👌 we shouldn't take this "thing" away from what was a very good game.

Doesn't matter now its been done. 

Lanner 2-5 Stithians

Treve Bale 2

Pete Blight

Tom Pryor

Howard Vague 

Great game was probably closer then the scoreline suggests. Think our fitness and extra bit of Quality showed in the end.  All the best to Lanner see you at our place 

Well reffed by Tim Reeks, apart from his moment of forgetting the new rule 😂 

42 minutes ago, brayer10 said:

Doesn't matter now its been done. 

Lanner 2-5 Stithians

Treve Bale 2

Pete Blight

Tom Pryor

Howard Vague 

Great game was probably closer then the scoreline suggests. Think our fitness and extra bit of Quality showed in the end.  All the best to Lanner see you at our place 

Well reffed by Tim Reeks, apart from his moment of forgetting the new rule 😂 

It was a good game for the neutral mate, about 30 odd watching. Some good goals scored aswell. I thought your second was a Chilly OG though if I'm honest 😂 Looking forward to the return fixture 👌

After  witnessing a certain player / ref on Saturday he should go back to reffing much better at that otherwise he could leave the game altogether for swan lake😆😆😆😆

Reference this lanner v Stithians post have to say understand Daves point as he’s right but defo wrong from said ref who was probably still coming down from erm perhaps a cold or something & missed it. We all make mistakes well apart from me. 😄

1 hour ago, Dave Bartlam said:

Had to try playing again mate, kept getting told I should put down the whistle you see 😂🙊

What doesn't help though is where I like to post on here, I wear a few caps off the field etc... I find myself getting mentioned in most posts which takes the spotlight away from the game 😕 it gets tedious :(

If you stick your head above the parapet...expect to get shot at! Lol

1 hour ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

If you stick your head above the parapet...expect to get shot at! Lol

That’s what happens when there’s a lack of volunteers, one man has to put on several caps 😕 He’s always gonna get shot at. I’ve got enough about me to take it , it’s part of it all I suppose. Frustrating thing for me though is when people comment on these posts... they then private message me saying sorry or explaining there comments 🙄

More about last nights game now, which is what these posts should be about...

Lanner had to win last night to avoid three successive defeats. We started off well, on top at the start and creating several chances. It didn’t take long for the deadlock to be broken. Kiall Maugham picked up the ball just inside the Lanner half and ran down the left wing. Both Lanner strikers were able to create a diversion with their diagonal runs, which meant a gap opened up for Kiall to run into. He struck a shot just outside the box which snuck past Liam between the sticks, nestling intohis bottom right corner.

it wasn’t long however until Stithians equalised with a well taken goal, this bought Lanner back down to Earth. By this time, Stithians were getting themselves into the game. Ten minutes from time however following a misplaced pass by the Lanner midfield, the ball ran through to Liam. At the time, the sun was playing a big part in the game - both teams were wearing dark colours that were red and mauve, subsequently, Liam threw the ball out of the the penalty area - directly to me. A quick chest down and volley from outside the box saw the ball nestle into the bottom corner of the net, just out of Liam’s reach.

The second goal was a typical one to concede for Lanner. A silly foul on the edge of the box resulted in a Stithians FK. Stithians got the cross in, defender and attacker both jump for the ball and it ends up in the top left corner of the net. I think the ball came off the Lanner defender for an own goal, but it’s certainly one that the Stithians player will claim.

The second half started the same as the first. Both teams had hit the post and had created chances but were unable to break the deadlock. A few changes were made to the Lanner side which kind of upset the flow a little bit - Stithians quickly capitalised and we’re 3-2 up shortly after. Heads dropped for Lanner and it just seemed like we’d taken our foot off the gas, that resulted in a good Stithians side taking advantage of the situation and putting the game to bed.

Three wins from three for Stithians, Lanner find themselves learning a harsh lesson in their first few weeks or Premiership football. 

Really good game for the neutral I’d say. Close fought game for seventy minutes which provided some entertainment and some decent goals