Cornwall Football Forum

Duchy Knock Out Cup Semi Final tonight (Wed)

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I know is Curtis Damerell is not up to the standard. Sorry to speak out against my own club but he’s not worth losing a final place over. The lack firepower in general with the lad Brian Robson up front but I can see why they tried.

4 minutes ago, Brianmooreshead said:

I take on board everything you all say - You aren't the only ones doing it - I get that 

But you can hardly moan when it backfires on you

Can you ?

but it didnt, the league made an error and said torpoint played bartolini illegally and they didnt. are you not seeing the repeated point here

5 minutes ago, Jasa said:

All I know is Curtis Damerell is not up to the standard. Sorry to speak out against my own club but he’s not worth losing a final place over. The lack firepower in general with the lad Brian Robson up front but I can see why they tried.

Agreed.

goals x

2 minutes ago, 8 quid said:

I'm sure it said the league incorrectly told torpoint damerell could play when actually he was ineligible & that's why torpoint are removed from the final 

no, they accepted that and then said bartolini was ineligible so are out of cup. bartolini was eligible but that is the reason they gave

9 minutes ago, Grant said:

I very much doubt that st mawgan will find it fine that the league made a mistake and allowed an ineligible to play.  

I wouldn't either. But if you were Torpoint would you accept an administration error by the League?

Lots of pressure on the League. They won't won't to lose their Cup Final double header on a bank holiday Sunday. Think they'll stick with their decision. Unfortunately an apology won't cut it.

16 minutes ago, Grant said:

I very much doubt that st mawgan will find it fine that the league made a mistake and allowed an ineligible to play.  

agreed but cannot penalise a club for a league error. bartolini was the player they said caused the expulsion not dammerel and that is wrong. they said dammerel was ok and then just made up the fact bartolini was illegal. there must be a solution

1 hour ago, FatRonaldo said:

I’d be embarrassed being torpoint needing a peninsula player to drop down 3/4 leagues to play against a honest village team.

Ive  just had a boneless banquet and it had more of a spine that Torpoint

you cheated deal with it.

Fat boy, I've forgot more than you know when talking about football and rules, I needed to know eligibility of players and requested this info from the league after all that's what they're there for, we were told the player's eligible and played them, I asked because last week due to the rules, only had 7 players available,the league gave the go ahead when they looked at our final squad, so don't you dare sit there behind your fake profile calling us cheats!I wonder if the individuals at the league are big enough to apologise to tafc for their handling of this. I am now no longer the manager so don't care who I upset but will name the individuals if needed, and one other thing fat boy, for your information or l lack of it, Torpoint is a town not a city. 

Being a neutral from the outside looking in, I understand the want to be in a final, especially Torpoints point of view, after missing out on the Junior Cup and Duchy Prem in recent weeks, another runners up medal may be just what they need.

It’s a shame there is so much arguing/slagging on here. The league made a mistake but they’re not the ones running your individual clubs, can clubs not all keep an eye on your own players eligibility? 

Rules are rules. I also agree with Darin Morse that the rules are so complicated that it causes this year after year. 

Footballing wise I would like to see the Foxes play St Mawgan. No matter how bad I feel for Torpoints situation.  Can’t wait to be there on Sunday. Good luck to the finalists, whoever they may be? 

I am sure football will be the overall winner

Gordsy 

1 hour ago, Jasa said:

Joe Stone and Lee Whetter, St Stephen through and through so much they play (or substitute) against Torpoint in the Junior Cup Final. Guess St Blazey didn’t have a game that day. 

At least Torpoint use within their club and not use ringers ?

I think you may be confused Jasa, indeed it is a great coincidence but I am led to believe these players only share the same name as st Blazey players, both 16 year olds coming up from our we 16’s! They’ll be good in a few years. 

5 minutes ago, bighairydave said:

Having read the league statement and others comments can someone confirm Bartolini played a part on the field as a sub?

And confirm he has not played for any other team than Torpoint 3rds this season?

I can confirm he came on for last 5/10mins and not played for any other team, 

At least now you’ve got a full bank holiday weekend to enjoy the sun and sea in your town.

Top tip for next season:- don’t cheat

10 hours ago, Justin norman said:

Fat boy, I've forgot more than you know when talking about football and rules, I needed to know eligibility of players and requested this info from the league after all that's what they're there for, we were told the player's eligible and played them, I asked because last week due to the rules, only had 7 players available,the league gave the go ahead when they looked at our final squad, so don't you dare sit there behind your fake profile calling us cheats!I wonder if the individuals at the league are big enough to apologise to tafc for their handling of this. I am now no longer the manager so don't care who I upset but will name the individuals if needed, and one other thing fat boy, for your information or l lack of it, Torpoint is a town not a city. 

At least now you’ve got a full bank holiday weekend to enjoy the sun and sea in your town.

49 minutes ago, FatRonaldo said:

Cheers Ron. 

Goals x

What a load of complete and utter nonsense I feel bad for all teams involved in the situation as no team at fault in my opinion. Also like to point out there are a few comments on here from people claiming to be from st Stephen who are most certainly not it's embarrassing to say the least. 

1 hour ago, Grant said:

any idea Justin when you are likely to hear the result of the appeal? there's a big game tonight and I'm guessing a lot hinges on this decision:) ??

There's an emergency meeting today 

1 hour ago, FatRonaldo said:

Top tip for you. :stop inbreeding and you will have a brain that works properly ya mug 

I think what needs clarification is did St.Mawgan make an official protest in writing to the League following their defeat to Torpoint ? If they didn't then surely  that should

be the end of the matter-RESULT STANDS !-FINAL TO GO AHEAD.However, I sincerely hope that any decision wasn't made following "tittle-tattle" on this Forum.

The East Cornwall Premier League has now had time to thoroughly check the appearance records and have confirmed that Christopher Bartollini has not played for Torpoint Reserves this season and was therefore eligible to play in the semi-final.

The issue of Curtis Damerell still remains however because on the one hand he was definitely not eligible to play but on the other hand the League clearly told Torpoint that he was eligible to play. This of course leaves both clubs feeling aggrieved and it also affects Foxhole as the other finalists.

There clearly won’t be an outcome that pleases everybody. I will issue an update as soon as possible.

19 minutes ago, Paul Collings said:

The East Cornwall Premier League has now had time to thoroughly check the appearance records and have confirmed that Christopher Bartollini has not played for Torpoint Reserves this season and was therefore eligible to play in the semi-final.

The issue of Curtis Damerell still remains however because on the one hand he was definitely not eligible to play but on the other hand the League clearly told Torpoint that he was eligible to play. This of course leaves both clubs feeling aggrieved and it also affects Foxhole as the other finalists.

There clearly won’t be an outcome that pleases everybody. I will issue an update as soon as possible.

Clearly not torpoints fault in any way then and they should remain finalists against foxhole. 

Goals x

As a neutral who has sat back and watched this game and read all sides to the argument I am baffled that it has gone this far, the teams are now a day away from the final. 

Regarless of the situation with one of the players that torpoint fielded, the other is still no able to play under the RULES.. this is obviously a league mistake, but one thing that shouldnt come from this is that ST Mawgan F.C. are punished in regarads to a matter that only involved them once they were effectively ‘cheated’ of a place in the cup final. I am also aware of what torpoint did before the game to ask the league if it was ok, unfortunately that has been taken out of their hands by the league making a mistake which everyone does now and again. 

Simply, The league can not check every team sheet every week of the season and clubs should be aware of the RULES and this would mean that torpoint have breached these RULES unknowingly but still have breached them. 

I cant see foxhole playing anyone other than ST Mawgan FC on the evidence that has been provided. 

8 minutes ago, No I in team said:

As a neutral who has sat back and watched this game and read all sides to the argument I am baffled that it has gone this far, the teams are now a day away from the final. 

Regarless of the situation with one of the players that torpoint fielded, the other is still no able to play under the RULES.. this is obviously a league mistake, but one thing that shouldnt come from this is that ST Mawgan F.C. are punished in regarads to a matter that only involved them once they were effectively ‘cheated’ of a place in the cup final. I am also aware of what torpoint did before the game to ask the league if it was ok, unfortunately that has been taken out of their hands by the league making a mistake which everyone does now and again. 

Simply, The league can not check every team sheet every week of the season and clubs should be aware of the RULES and this would mean that torpoint have breached these RULES unknowingly but still have breached them. 

I cant see foxhole playing anyone other than ST Mawgan FC on the evidence that has been provided. 

I would agree with this to a certain extent-but from what I understand it wasn’t a case of check the sheet, torpoint asked about specific players and were told he was able to play. It’s one thing saying that can’t check a sheet, but when I direct question is asked to the league and they come back with a reply then that side shouldn’t be punished retrospectively. 

Just now, rob brown said:

I would agree with this to a certain extent-but from what I understand it wasn’t a case of check the sheet, torpoint asked about specific players and were told he was able to play. It’s one thing saying that can’t check a sheet, but when I direct question is asked to the league and they come back with a reply then that side shouldn’t be punished retrospectively. 

Torpoint asked if Curtis could play, the league checked stats, appearances etc and the league confirmed he was in fact eligible to play. Clubs should know the rule agreed but when 3/4 emails prior to this about team sheets were sent it’s quite clear that the league itself have made the mistake and not torpoint. 

Goals x

It'd be interesting to see just how the mistake was made in the first place. A player has either played the requisite number of games by the specified date, or he hasn't. Surely that's a fairly easy process given that Full-TIme shows team line-ups for all games? Is the onus on the club or the league to check eligibility?

I can totally understand what you’re saying guys. My view on this is that sometimes teams get punished, for example we’ve all been on the end of a bad decision in a game for what the ref deemed as ‘breaking the rules on the field’.. that is neither clubs fault but one team will gain an advantage from that wether it’s their fault or not.

Unfortunately for torpoint this is 80% the leagues fault but also 20% their own fault because they should have known the RUES. 

One thing I would say is that if torpoint were sent through to the final then this would cause massive problems with seasons to follow. 

Neuatral opionion, hope you can see my views. 

3 minutes ago, No I in team said:

I can totally understand what you’re saying guys. My view on this is that sometimes teams get punished, for example we’ve all been on the end of a bad decision in a game for what the ref deemed as ‘breaking the rules on the field’.. that is neither clubs fault but one team will gain an advantage from that wether it’s their fault or not.

Unfortunately for torpoint this is 80% the leagues fault but also 20% their own fault because they should have known the RUES. 

One thing I would say is that if torpoint were sent through to the final then this would cause massive problems with seasons to follow. 

Neuatral opionion, hope you can see my views. 

Unfortunately this happens in the league a lot with the rules. I’ve played against numerous teams that have players playing in cup games that have not played the required games. Only in our cup final last season st Dom had players that hadn’t played the required amount. 

This season a side we played against-week before played with 10, and the league told them they were silly and could of signed on players from the seconds even though the deadline had passed. Yes this was ECPL but my point being the rules are hardly ever stuck by. 

15 minutes ago, Darin Morse said:

It'd be interesting to see just how the mistake was made in the first place. A player has either played the requisite number of games by the specified date, or he hasn't. Surely that's a fairly easy process given that Full-TIme shows team line-ups for all games? Is the onus on the club or the league to check eligibility?

there are 3 possible eligibility checks for the cup, played more than 3 games before 15th march (which itself is weird as this season had so few games between nov and feb) so can play, or had signed before a date in october and not played 3 games but had also not played for any other duchy club (so can play) or had either played too few games and signed on too late (cannot play).

This rule only applies to semis onwards.

goals; the league made a mistake and allowed a player from a higher league to play when he shouldn't have. I'd say that's unfair on st mawgan, wouldnt you? why should they be punished? I say replay on Sunday, already got a venue and officials. 're arrange final and offer foxhole choice of 2 dates so they'd aren't punished for date move. 

review league procedure for removing teams from comps. heads don't need to roll; we all make mistakes. learn from it and move on.  

2 minutes ago, Grant said:

goals; the league made a mistake and allowed a player from a higher league to play when he shouldn't have. I'd say that's unfair on st mawgan, wouldnt you? why should they be punished? I say replay on Sunday, already got a venue and officials. 're arrange final and offer foxhole choice of 2 dates so they'd aren't punished for date move. 

review league procedure for removing teams from comps. heads don't need to roll; we all make mistakes. learn from it and move on.  

I'd have to agree with you Grant. Fairest measure for both sides. Still not great for Foxhole and would the league want further expenditure?

6 minutes ago, Grant said:

Agreed 100% 

goals x

Final word from me on what has become an impossible situation and after a couple of thoroughly demoralising days.

The decision to remove Torpoint Athletic from the Knock Out Cup Competition for playing an ineligible player stands. St Mawgan will face Foxhole Stars in the final tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, Paul Collings said:

Final word from me on what has become an impossible situation and after a couple of thoroughly demoralising days.

The decision to remove Torpoint Athletic from the Knock Out Cup Competition for playing an ineligible player stands. St Mawgan will face Foxhole Stars in the final tomorrow.

A cost effective decision for the League Committee. 

6 minutes ago, Paul Collings said:

What an absolute joke of a situation. Once again the duchy league making the wrong decision. They should hold their heads in shame! If they can’t run a cup properly then don’t run them at all! Absolute shambles! 

18 minutes ago, Paul Collings said:

you lot are a joke mate, the semi should be replayed. bunch of bottle jobs and seriously should admit the atrocious mistake you made. 

bartolini was not illegal and you confirmed damerell was ok to play. What a farce and the very least you should do is replay the semi after a mistake that THE LEAGUE made. 

if the vice chairman had not posted a view on this forum then this wouldnt have happened

9 minutes ago, Cornishfootball said:

you lot are a joke mate, the semi should be replayed. bunch of bottle jobs and seriously should admit the atrocious mistake you made. 

bartolini was not illegal and you confirmed damerell was ok to play. What a farce and the very least you should do is replay the semi after a mistake that THE LEAGUE made. 

if the vice chairman had not posted a view on this forum then this wouldnt have happened

Looks like none of these “officials” know what they are doing. Paul Collins and mike need to seriously re consider everything they do on a daily basis because they’ve fucked it all. 

Goals x

The league have made massive errors here, no doubt about it, and I’m sure they are very regretful of that fact, but as much as I feel for Torpoint in this situation, their secretary could/should have made some checks as well, instead of passing the buck onto the league. 

So based on that, ultimately the correct decision has been made. Albeit in a disastrous way.

6 minutes ago, footballfollower2000 said:

The league have made massive errors here, no doubt about it, and I’m sure they are very regretful of that fact, but as much as I feel for Torpoint in this situation, their secretary could/should have made some checks as well, instead of passing the buck onto the league. 

So based on that, ultimately the correct decision has been made. Albeit in a disastrous way.

the league gave an exel spreadsheet with all available players on. torpoint took them from that list so it is not their job to question that list.

if you buy something from a shop and you are told incorrect info, you can get a refund. the game should be replayed but they wont pay out for another date for the final

19 minutes ago, Cornishfootball said:

the league gave an exel spreadsheet with all available players on. torpoint took them from that list so it is not their job to question that list.

if you buy something from a shop and you are told incorrect info, you can get a refund. the game should be replayed but they wont pay out for another date for the final

So the Torpoint secretary couldn’t have checked His/hers own clubs records to see if players had played the required number of games?? 

As manager of Torpoint, I have resigned. But I would just like to add, you Mike newcombe and yes you Paul Collins are an embarrassment to duchy football, we came to you for guidance on what was clearly an important matter, It  should've set off alarm bells when Mike's main worry was that the ref and the FOOD had already been paid for, I'm embarrassed for the fact you've made these rules and don't understand them yourself! When we as a nation talk about the English FA not having a clue, we now know this includes county and league officials such as you. I've had many wonderful yrs in  cornish football but never been involved in such a farce as this. probably the right thing to have done due to your incompetence was to replay the semi, but maybe the sandwiches had already been paid for.?You clowns haven't even had the balls to personally apologise to me or the player's (and I know you have my email address) retiring as manager and player of a game I gave my all to has finally left a very bitter taste in my mouth. 

Signed a very annoyed and pissed off Justin norman! 

3 minutes ago, Justin norman said:

As manager of Torpoint, I have resigned. But I would just like to add, you Mike newcombe and yes you Paul Collins are an embarrassment to duchy football, we came to you for guidance on what was clearly an important matter, It  should've set off alarm bells when Mike's main worry was that the ref and the FOOD had already been paid for, I'm embarrassed for the fact you've made these rules and don't understand them yourself! When we as a nation talk about the English FA not having a clue, we now know this includes county and league officials such as you. I've had many wonderful yrs in  cornish football but never been involved in such a farce as this. probably the right thing to have done due to your incompetence was to replay the semi, but maybe the sandwiches had already been payed for. You clowns haven't even had the balls to personally apologise to me or the player's (and I know you have my email address) retiring as manager and player of a game I gave my all to has finally left a very bitter taste in my mouth. 

Signed a very annoyed and pissed off Justin norman! 

Well said Justin Norman. Complete **** up from the league here... mike and Paul need to take a long hard look at themselves. 

Goals x

1 hour ago, Goals said:

Well said Justin Norman. Complete **** up from the league here... mike and Paul need to take a long hard look at themselves. 

Goals x

while i appreciate that it is difficult and requires a lot of work to do a league......... it is inexcusable for this situation to happen. A replay was right and screw the cost of a sandwich or 2, costs sod all!

Could have invited the clubs to a meeting instead of worming up a poor solution in private where noone knows what was said.

13 minutes ago, cornishteddyboy said:

I think one or two posters on this thread are not as "outraged" as they are making out and are just stirring it. The decision is made, accept it please and go watch the game tomorrow.

Everyone is human, mistakes are made. Let it lie and move on.

pretty sure they are, i am outraged in the league not apologising, not making the right decision, not inviting the club to the hearing, not doing a good job and posting that st mawgan were back in the cup before they had the facts.

this will never be forgotten