Cornwall Football Forum

LWC Drinks Cornwall Combination League Fixtures - Saturday 6th January 2018

Combo Results
Saturday 6th January 2018
Goonhavern Athletic 0-7 Perranporth (Luke Wort 3, Justin Searle 2, Chris Mulroy, Steve Brewer)
Att - 76
Hayle (Cameron Irish, Liam Mooney, Charlie Parker) 3-0 Redruth United 
Att - 45
Illogan RBL Reserves p-p Falmouth Town Reserves 
Penryn Athletic p-p St Just 
Porthleven Reserves p-p Holman SC 
St Agnes p-p Mullion 
St Day A-A Perranwell 
St Ives Town (Scott Goodchild) 1-3 Helston Athletic Reserves (Jamie Thompson 2, Freddie Andrew)
Att - 30

I was at the st.day v perranwell game which was my first visit to vogue park, lovely set up for a village team and the pitch looked pretty good seeing the weather we have had. I hope the perranwell lad is ok, think someone said it was a broken leg. Surprised that the game wasn't finished after the poor lad was in the ambulance though.

Compound fracture to tib & fib, will be a long job, thanks to St Day lad who is a paramedic and did everything he could to help make Chris comfortable and to lads from the Well who did their best to help keep him warm and his leg stable until the ambulance arrived. Match abandoned as players who had stayed on the pitch to help were frozen by the time the ambulance arrived and with light fading the ref had no choice. Shame it couldn't be played to a result as it had been a great match until the injury. We wish Chris all the best for a swift recovery and thanks to St Day for their support in making him comfortable and prompt help immediately following the incident.

6 minutes ago, Andys said:

Compound fracture to tib & fib, will be a long job, thanks to St Day lad who is a paramedic and did everything he could to help make Chris comfortable and to lads from the Well who did their best to help keep him warm and his leg stable until the ambulance arrived. Match abandoned as players who had stayed on the pitch to help were frozen by the time the ambulance arrived and with light fading the ref had no choice. Shame it couldn't be played to a result as it had been a great match until the injury. We wish Chris all the best for a swift recovery and thanks to St Day for their support in making him comfortable and prompt help immediately following the incident.

Glad we could help, don't like seeing anyone get a serious injury. As for the match being abandoned the ref said the light was fine.

38 minutes ago, Alf said:

I was at the st.day v perranwell game which was my first visit to vogue park, lovely set up for a village team and the pitch looked pretty good seeing the weather we have had. I hope the perranwell lad is ok, think someone said it was a broken leg. Surprised that the game wasn't finished after the poor lad was in the ambulance though.

11 minutes ago, Andys said:

As Andy said ,a big ,big thank you to Rob Hoskings who was a great help to our player and the paramedics, once again thanks Rob.

4 minutes ago, willy7 said:

Glad we could help, don't like seeing anyone get a serious injury. As for the match being abandoned the ref said the light was fine.

Issue was the players who had stayed to help Chris were freezing by the time the ambulance arrived and would have needed a reasonable time to warm up again before they could restart the match. The ref decided it should be abandoned because by the time there had been a reasonable warm up it would have been too dark to resume. Given the circumstances and with players having seen a mate get that bad an injury, it was the right decision. Just have to do it all again midweek when it's sunny and warmer!

13 minutes ago, willy7 said:

One of those player's being a st.day player? 

Yes, Rob Hosking was helping Chris and he did a great job, which everyone at the Well is very appreciative of.

10 minutes ago, Alf said:

I think the ref had Mr Fisher in his ear, from what I saw.

A lot of people were talking to the ref Alf, doesn't mean he made the wrong decision, maybe if you had seen Chris' leg you'd appreciate why it was the right one.

Where do you start!  The game itself was played in great spirits and was end to end, with some fantastic finishing, in my opinion. It was a roller-coaster of emotions, Perranwell making it 3-3 with roughly 10 or so to go, only for Gavin Boon to make it 4-3, less than 60 seconds later. 

The game was strange for me, as I made two substitute appearances. But all of this is irrelevant,  given the events of the 86th minute. Following two players going for the ball in a strong but fair challenge, we heard a crack which we thought was shinpad on shinpad, but unfortunately it wasn't.  

And in a very calm almost blasé fashion, young Chris Jones asked our linesman to call an ambulance as he'd broken his leg and to be fair, his diagnosis was spot on! 

I take my hat off to the guy as he sat on the pitch and dealt with the incident so calmly. 

I ran over to his side of the pitch and the fantastic players and management of both sides were supporting his leg, and once I'd cut his sock and boot off, to assess the injury and check for circulation, the injury was pretty obvious.  We all did our best to stabilise Chris, keep him warm and prevent any further complications, especially with circulation and infection amongst other things.  

Before the ambulance arrived, which I must say was fairly swift & they deserve a whole lot of credit, as they've been getting a hammering in the press recently! 

As expected, he's off to derriford for surgery and I would like to wish him a speedy recovery.  

On another note, I love football as much as the next guy and we all get carried away with our passion, rivalries & desire to win, but today puts it into perspective and everything was put to one side as two teams worked as one, to help a fellow footballer ? 

Difficult situation to deal with today Rob, thought you were an absolute star, well done to all involved and wish Chris a speedy recovery. Weather the game should or shouldn't of been finished irrelevant given the circumstances, just replay it when it's a bit warmer x

St Ives Town (Scott Goodchild) 1-3 Helston Athletic Reserves (Jamie Thompson 2, Freddie Andrew)

Good game down at the saltings, pitch was 'iffy' but went ahead well done to all. i thought the home team looked stronger initially but then ran out of steam, man in the middle had a good game also. Shame Helston played a few first teamers mind you, i really dont agree when this happens as it makes a mockery of the league to some extent! 

Best wishes to the injured chap, not what anyone wants to see anytime throughout the year let alone over xmas!