Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL Fixtures - Tuesday 21 March 2017

Just watched the game on the Cornwall Channel. What a shame it was such a dire game. In fairness the pitch was dreadful and the howling wind and driving rain made it almost impossible to play any sort of football. But please, please it seemed like two kids having a few beers down the local pub and then asking then to do a sort of karaoke commentary on the match. The least they could have done was say actual names of the players – they do have numbers on their backs. Thank goodness for the mute button. Well done to the Ashes.

12 minutes ago, ECPL said:

Just watched the game on the Cornwall Channel. What a shame it was such a dire game. In fairness the pitch was dreadful and the howling wind and driving rain made it almost impossible to play any sort of football. But please, please it seemed like two kids having a few beers down the local pub and then asking then to do a sort of karaoke commentary on the match. The least they could have done was say actual names of the players – they do have numbers on their backs. Thank goodness for the mute button. Well done to the Ashes.

Funny Dave I done exactly the same, soon got fed up with the stupid commentary, ps karaoke is much better than that! 

I saw the match on the laptop in front of the fire with a mug of tea.-The live action was acceptable and I endured the whole 90 minutes-who would have thought this  local football presentation could be seen live in your front room?

I  just about put up with the light hearted commentary but considering I wasn't at Poltair bracing myself from the horrendous weather and not having to drive home it was an enjoyable experience (apart from the result).

I wont be tuned in tomorrow night from Saltash but will be watching a bigger game on TV from Germany.

Camelford 4-0 Godolphin Atlantic (H/T 3-0)

Camelford were 3-0 up inside 13 minutes and never looked back. With the wind in their favour they opened the scoring after 37 seconds. After 6 minutes another set piece and poor defending let Camels in for their second and after 13 minutes it was 3-0.

Godolphin looked blunt up front and apart from one effort in the second half I don't think they tested the keeper.

With the rain lashing down, Camelford added a fourth deep into injury time.

The referee and the assistant on the dug out side received a lot of abuse in the second period from the visitors after a decision went against them. It looked at first glance that they had a point but the surrounding of the referee and comments weren't necessary.

Camelford 4-0 Godolphin Atlantic

Like Willow, I braved a very cold, windy and wet (very very wet for last 30 minutes) evening to watch Camelford take on Goldolphin. Their first meeting at the start of the season had finished 2-1 to Godolphin, which at the time the Camels felt a slightly unfair scoreline as having dominated most of the game and missing several chances, were undone by a very late Simms freekick. 

Both teams were missing a couple of players, Camelford missing three players through injuries sustained last Saturday in their 'game' v Ivbridge and Godolphin missing at least one through injury and one on holiday, so both sides on a par. Camelford also featured their six County U18 players (5 starting) and it was nice to see Godolphin also starting with Tiago from the County U18's a 17 year old keeper and 4 new young 16 year olds on their bench - two teams who appreciate local youth talent.

Following kick off and a speedy attack the Camels were awarded a corner within the first minute. A quality delivery by Bobby Hopkinson and Josh Insley rose to head in a virtually unopposed header 1-0 within the minute. To save typing, 4 minutes later and exactly the same, 2-0 Camels. 8 minutes later a cross from the right found Bobby Hopkinson unmarked at the back of the Godolphin box - 3-0 to Camelford. I have rarely witnessed such a one sided start to a game or such abject defending. Camelford kept pushing throughout the first half and shoud really have gone in five or six up with at least 3 one on ones with the keeper (one of which should have been a penalty) going wide and a couple of decent saves by the Godolphin keeper.

With the start of the second half, and wind advantage, it would been expected for Godolphin to come back into the game, which for the first couple of minutes they did, however after that it was service as normal for Camelford who missed several great chances and dominated every aspect of the game. Godolphin could not cope with the solid defence,pace out wide of Camelford's left / right backs and wingers, the work rate of the central 3 and the control up front. Godolphin unfortunately let their frustrations boil over and were it not for a couple of 'misses' by the ref (who had an otherwise great game) could have been down to 9 players - the elbow to the face of a Camelford player when blocking him through on goal and an absolute stonewall penalty on a player from behind one on one with the keeper. Also, a decision was given against Godolphin in the middle of the field, yet Godolphin players from all over the pitch ran up to confront the referee and linesman (assistant ref had given decision to Godolphin and ref overruled and gave to Camelford) - most referees would have dismissed at least one Godolphin player and both coaches for their subsequent behaviour. Shame really as the game was played in good spirit on a tricky pitch. 

In the last couple of minutes of the game, Camelford were awarded (another) freekick on the right which was driven in powerfully by Bobby Hopkinson and deceived all to fly straight into the far corner - 4-0 and game over shortly afterwards. Camelford were the better team from start to finish and every one of their players put a real shift in. Godolphin on the other hand were poor, their best player was Tiago (by far) and their young lads who came on as subs looked useful. Godolphin management must be disappointed with the performance of some of their higher profile players who did little all game. I am sure Godolphin are better than what was on show last night and will resume their winning ways soon.

Can't comment as I didn't listen to the commentary as I braved it and went to poltair park . Thought both sides put up an entertaining game in poor conditions. 1st 60 mins made me wonder how Saltash are up there as title contenders as Falmouth were the better side and deservedly went 2-0 up . As soon as saltash equalised there was only gonna be one winner . As for the pitch, which ECPL described as dreadful , was in good condition and held up very well considering the awful weather . 

4 minutes ago, Tribute said:

Can't comment as I didn't listen to the commentary as I braved it and went to poltair park . Thought both sides put up an entertaining game in poor conditions. 1st 60 mins made me wonder how Saltash are up there as title contenders as Falmouth were the better side and deservedly went 2-0 up . As soon as saltash equalised there was only gonna be one winner . As for the pitch, which ECPL described as dreadful , was in good condition and held up very well considering the awful weather . 

'Tribute',  I could not agree more, really entertaining game, played in atrocious second half conditions. Pitch held up well and will be fine for Saturday's first X1 fixture. And well done the match officials. Felt some sympathy for Falmouth and ex County Youth 'keeper Ryan Barnes, keeping goal in the face of driving wind and rain was no picnic. 

Some good comments coming from eye witnesses at Poltair-I was becoming bemused with ECPL "Shame it was such a dire game"-6 goals.

With everyone seemingly huddled in the grandstand with all the camera crew and equipment it must have been low attendance as there was no hiding place elsewhere from the horizontal  wind and rain.

Does anyone know the official attendance and was there a programme/team sheet issued?

I will stick to my comment.  It was a dire game.  So many mis placed passes.  Unfortunately when the howling gale picked up and the driving rain blew down the pitch then credit must be given to all who played and officiated.