Cornwall Football Forum

Manchester United

Mangle

As a lifelong devotee of Leonard Cohen, I recommend a number of lyrics to Loo Wee .

"I walked into an avalanche: it covered up my soul" is a good one.

Or how about this ?

"now, if you can get your trembling fingers to behave

why don't you try unwrapping a stainless steel razor blade ?....

now Santa Claus comes forward, that's a razor in his fist

and he puts on his dark glasses and he shows you where to hit

and it's come to this, yeah, it's come to this

and wasn't it a long way down,

wasn't it a strange way down ?"

Always found a quick blast of that followed by banshee screaming on the way out to get all the badger dung

and the sacrificial offerings off Lafrowda Park while Mawther rounded off the woad ceremony by delivering

a couple of dead gulls to the visitors' dressing room could warm up the bleakest St Just day. Dear old Gip used to amble across

the pitch and do his business, followed by Willy James and his giant iron shovel. Great times..

MK Dons players must have mixed emotions after beating United Reserves 4-1. On the one hand, the history books will always show that result. On the other hand, United didn't show the Dons or the competition any respect. I despise teams who put out weakened teams in cup competitions, a practice that has now spread to even the FA Cup. They make claims about it being a "squad game", which is always going to be their get-out to avoid being fined for not fielding their strongest team. The team I used to go and watch in my youth do it and I despise them as well. Man U got exactly what they deserved. Of course, that old League Cup wouldn't be a big enough prize in their eyes. As other posters have pointed out, Premiership football has become foreign football and the ridiculously-named "Champions League" is the be all and end all. What puzzles me is why so many people pay the obscene prices to watch it!

Top price for non-member at CFC is £87 for star opposition. Champions League group games, all seats £35. Hardly obscene, they price them to sell out but the standard of the opposition is sometimes poor, but you can still lose at home to Basle and reach the S/F.

Thirty five quid? I could watch all the England and other home international players of the old first division for 1/6 in 1964 (3/- for adults) and paid 4/- as an undergraduate in the late sixties. Index-link that 4/- to today and by whatever method you do that it doesn't make ten quid - just over £3 based on RPI. I think an over 1000% mark-up is obscene! I know we stood then and so stadia aren't capable of holding as many now, so perhaps you could argue for a mark-up for that reason but if you are a dad with a couple of football-crazy kids it could cost half a minimum-wage week's pay to take them to see a match what with travel, programmes, food and drink. And I don't think you can just roll up on the day these days for some clubs. My school (and later College) mates could pay for it all out of paper-round money (or university grant!).

But we were happy then....!

So every time Man utd play theres going to be coments about them isnt it better to judge them at Christmas when they are top of the league ,This thread seems to be goingn for ever mostly by jealous people who wished there team had had the sucess that United have had and will have again well they should do with the money they are throwing around like confetti . Wouldnt it be good to see Swansea win the league

MK Dons players must have mixed emotions after beating United Reserves 4-1. On the one hand, the history books will always show that result. On the other hand, United didn't show the Dons or the competition any respect. I despise teams who put out weakened teams in cup competitions, a practice that has now spread to even the FA Cup. They make claims about it being a "squad game", which is always going to be their get-out to avoid being fined for not fielding their strongest team. The team I used to go and watch in my youth do it and I despise them as well. Man U got exactly what they deserved. Of course, that old League Cup wouldn't be a big enough prize in their eyes. As other posters have pointed out, Premiership football has become foreign football and the ridiculously-named "Champions League" is the be all and end all. What puzzles me is why so many people pay the obscene prices to watch it!

Actually, they didn't just field a reserve side, there was a fair sprinkling of more senior players out there too that night.

The problem for United is not just the fact that they are out of one of the only two competitions they had any chance of winning this season. It is the fact that they were so comprehensively hammered and completely humiliated by a League One team. They clearly have no depth to their current squad whatsoever, so God help them in the Premier League when they start to pick a few injuries up as the season goes on.

Actually, on second thoughts, please don't bother helping them, God. It was only a figure of speech, honestly!

A lot of the above posts show that I hugely underestimated the distress, misery, agony and despair suffered by non Man Utd supporters over the last 20 years! :) Please remember it's only a game! I enjoy football but, If I made a list of things that are most important to me, football would be at the bottom. I know that Bill Shankly said 'Football's not a matter of life or death, it's more important than that', but he was only joking!

There is no doubt that Ferguson was the best club manager over the last 20 years, by a margin. And he got the best out of his players. The "fear factor" was not just fear, it was respectful fear. There is a difference. Players respected Ferguson, they knew he was an expert in his field, the best. That helped Man Utd conquer all and enjoy a long period of success. Yes, of course non Man U supporters were/are jealous. So imagine our pleasure in watching the team quite quickly fail to reach their own high standards. It must be shocking for you guys, the Man U supporters, although you haven't the decency to admit it. Conversely, we are admitting our pleasure and satisfaction with what is going on. Ok?

Spot on, Older and Mangle!

it would have been much easier to appreciate the football United played for so many years from a purely sporting perspective if it wasn't for one or two somewhat aggravating factors. Possibly the most annoying one is the legions of plastic 'fans' who claim to 'support' them, despite never having been anywhere near Manchester in their lives, never mind Old Trafford. I sincerely hope this phenomena never attaches itself to City.

And yes, we do get some pleasure from their current situation! For me, the funniest part is watching all the glory chasing pretend supporters turning so quickly and easily on the team just because it isn't all going their way at the moment. I am fully aware that United have plenty of genuine fans with realistic expectations too, but football in general is better off without the other kind. Perhaps they might start following their own local teams, at whatever level they play at. That would be nice!

Unfortunately long before the end of his tenure, Ferguson realised that the power to be gleaned from his position was almost absolute.

There is no doubt he ran the club with an iron fist, but unfortunately the bodies that should have censured him when he stepped out of line in other areas were spineless, and eventually he morphed into the bullying ogre type figure that 60% of the country despised.

The FA backed down time and time again with pitiful fines for his obnoxious outbursts against referees, he decided he wouldn't speak to the BBC and although part of the contract, he continually breached it - sending out one of his muppets every Saturday night.

He even managed to get away with a speeding fine after claiming some drivel about having the S***ts !

The rest of us had to put up with twenty odd years of his crap, so now he's gone and it's all going to ratshit, I for one intend to enjoy every second !!