Cornwall Football Forum

Combo Results and Table - 6th April 2013

Please post your results, scorers and attendances on this thread please or text me on 07597907549 with any details.

Thanks

Cornwall Combination League

6th April 2013

Goonhavern Athletic (Marc Wilson) 1-2 Pendeen Rovers (Gary Matthews 2)

Att - 25

Holman SC (Jason Blight) 1-2 Falmouth Athletic (Brett Southerland)

Att - 8

Ludgvan (Liam Devine, Jack Ramsey) 2-5 Newquay Reserves (Mark Vercesi 2, Shaun Middleton, Ollie Downing, OG)

Att - 65

Penryn Athletic Reserves (Stefan Churcher, Matt Mcilroy) 2-2 Hayle Reserves (Gary Bell 2)

Att - 75

St Agnes P-P Falmouth Town Reserves

St Day (Mikey Davis) 1-4 Perranwell (Luke Brabyn, Jimmy Thompson, Lee Hazeldine, Felix Coates)

Att - 50

Troon (Ashley Smeeth 2) 2-0 St Ives Town

Att - 26

Wendron United 0-1 Illogan RBL (Luke Wort)

Att - 35

POS TEAM PL W D L F A GD PTS

1 ILLOGAN RBL 26 22 2 2 82 27 55 68
2 ST DAY 28 19 3 6 87 42 45 60
3 LUDGVAN 28 18 2 8 85 48 37 56
4 PERRANWELL 26 17 3 6 72 36 36 54
5 PENDEEN ROVERS 27 16 6 5 69 39 30 54
6 ST IVES TOWN 25 14 8 3 65 33 32 50
7 WENDRON UNITED 27 13 6 8 57 44 13 45
8 MULLION 29 13 4 12 78 77 1 43
9 GOONHAVERN ATHLETIC 25 12 4 9 55 43 12 40
10 ST AGNES 25 11 6 8 52 39 13 39
11 PENRYN ATHLETIC RESERVES 27 12 3 12 54 63 -9 39
12 FALMOUTH TOWN RESERVES 28 11 4 13 70 74 -4 37
13 ST JUST 26 11 3 12 57 55 2 36
14 RNAS CULDROSE 26 7 7 12 56 63 -7 28
15 TROON 26 8 2 16 52 66 -14 26
16 FALMOUTH ATHLETIC 26 8 2 16 47 88 -41 26
17 PORTHLEVEN RESERVES 31 6 3 22 47 102 -55 21
18 HAYLE RESERVES 30 5 5 20 38 85 -47 20
19 NEWQUAY RESERVES 26 5 4 17 42 71 -29 19
20 HOLMAN SC 30 3 3 24 35 108 -73 12

St Agnes vs Falmouth Town is OFF. Been told this morning that Falmouth can't raise a team.

Now to decide what game to watch in the sun!

this is not acceptable i'm afraid at this level, I feel for the Falmouth for being in this situation, but I also feel for the ST Agnes lads who've had their weekend ruined due to this, what happens from here? 3-0 win for Aggie and points? or do they not get the points? as I have noticed that if a team plays in eligible player in a game they've won, they lose the points but the opposition do not get them!!!?? what sort of rule is that? they learn their lesson by losing the points yes, but the opposition team who are robbed of these points by a cheating team lose out and don't get a thing? off of a tandem a tad there but it needs looking at by the gods from above!

Sorry Nemesis but Good luck Ludgvan :-)

A real shame that a club like town can't raise a side today and where their league position has them safe enough even with a loss of points financially that could hurt (Porthleven received £200 fine 2 years ago for same offence)

Some great fixtures out their today with in form Wendron against the league leaders who are looking to bounce back after last weeks cup disappointment, an intriguing fixture with a young talented Ludgvan side against a probably enhanced Newquay side battling relegation who ironically if reports are true have been enhancing ludgvan at times recently & St Day v Perranwell could be a feisty affair but whilst its not the most obvious 'big' fixture of the weekend Holmans could be the most crucial as at home to Athletic today the players know anything less then a win will mean its all over for senior league status!!

Lots of Peppermints heading to Ludgvan as Newquay try to stave off the dreaded drop. No SWPL game today so plenty of fans (and probably the max amount of SWPL players allowed) will head down the A30.

With no first team fixture for Newquay could we see a few first teamers turn out for Ludgvan? Have heard they have a couple Newquay lads signed on. May be mistaken though.

St Agnes vs Falmouth Town is OFF. Been told this morning that Falmouth can't raise a team.

Now to decide what game to watch in the sun!

Get down to your childhood stomping ground at the Underlane Pezzer. Game of weekend surely. And if it doesn't live up to expectations you can turn around and watch our reserves on the banana pitch versus Cury. And if that is dire, our fourths are also at home!

Bar open as per usual too. You know it makes sense!

St Day v Perranwell offers to be a great game. Pitch looking fantastic and we also have our reserves home aginst Helston Ath Res, 1st v 2nd in the league.

Hot and cold drinks, Hot food all available, programme covering both games.

Both games for £2, Why miss it.....

Wendron United 0 v 1 Illogan RBL

Build up didn't match the match. 0-0 till around the 85th minute. Until a Luke Wort 40screamer that was a real bit of quality but one of those efforts that would have gone over on another day.

Couple of half chances for Wendron in first half.

Think a draw would have been a fair result.

Shows how far Wendron have come in a short amount of time.

All the best to Illogan, looks like its yours now after today's result at The Vogue.

Watched the st day game and thought perranwell made the most of the st day defences inability to track runners and took way too long to close them down, a bit of a shock result but this just makes the run in even more entertaining with a few other teams slipping up today,getting interesting at the bottom also,with Hayle,port,and Newquay all having first teams to call upon it looks like culdrose,Troon and fal ath could get dragged into it,and having x2 teams who have passed their grounds inspections to come up depending on league positions x2 will be going down!!!! Epic end!!!

Newquay got the respect they deserved from Messers Magee & Devine who did not play for Ludgvan today. Newquay used the SWPL players Simcox, Vercesi & Deadman, also drafted in were Middleton & Ludlam both on the return from a spell out after injury. Sam Trudgian has been a regular in both the Combo & SWPL side having played almost equal amount of games for both. However, The Peppermints can also point to a player from each of the 3rd & 4th teams also included as well as Sammy Mac who was around when the club was formed in 1890.

Newquay were 3-0 up after 25mins, Vercesi, an OG and an Ollie Downing touch before Ludgvan pulled one back before HT. Second half was delayed twice, once after the Ref took a ball full force in the face, loosing part of a tooth in the process. The Ludgvan 'keeper also needed a Paramedic crew for treatment after he collided with his own player, play was held up for a total of 30mins. I was told as we left that the 'keeper was finding it difficult to breathe, the Ambulance still at the ground, all from Mount Wise hope he recovers fully.

Ludgvan pulled it back to 3-2 after a clear handball and the penalty was tucked away. Newquay went on to win 5-2 with a Vercesi Penalty and Middleton goal. Smashing clubhouse, grounds and facilities, a warm welcome before the game from all concerned for the travelling fans, although one or two were unhappy afterwards that Newquay had won using 'so many' SWPL players... At this stage of the season, 3 points are all that matters to us, and as Ludgvan said, they have no intention of going SWPL at any time soon.

hayle scorer was gary bell [2] one penalty ,tale of two halves penryn better in 1st half and played a very good long ball game to their forwards who seemed to win a lot of 50/50 2nd half hayle were more attack minded and pressed the penryn defence whos keeper was outstanding and even saved a second half pen good crowd watching and a draw was a fair result ,both sides have some good young players and ref had good game under some pressure from both teams good luck penryn for rest of the season and onwards to tue night at ludgvan

Wendron 0 Illogan 1

Great result for illogan, wendron on a great surge under Paul and for ourselves today pretty short, only naming 2 subs, no manager due to a family illness with myself stepping up to take rhe reigns, full credit to all illogan players to rallying themselves with that performance today, all of you were a credit to the club, about the game, fair play to both teams, nothing to choose between them, very even match but was a pleasure that both teams wanted to get it down and play! Game settled by a Luke wort 30 yard screamer. Was going to take 1 moment like that today to seperate teams! Great reaction to the disappointment of last weeks final, but 3 points in the league means far more, well done lads and also good luck to Paul and all at wendron with the great work you are doing

Got to say from a wendron point of view we were gutted after that! But thought it was a good game, Illogan probably troubled us a little more so than them, but still a few saves for Barry to make. Potentially and hopefully this could be the top 2 next season, although I'm clearly biased!! All the best Illogan, awesome goal and nothing I could do about it! Sids x

I was at the Wendron game today and it was clear to me that the keeper was just a fill in. To get beat from 40 yards is an absolute crime. Really let all the Wendron boys down and I hope he returns to playing LB for the 3rd team next weekend. Difference between the sides.

Wendron 0-1 Illogan, the reaction in our changing room after the full time whistle, said it all for me, the players were gutted after losing to a late strike, from the league leaders! It was a tight game, we probably had more possession in the first half, Barry made one good save from Ben Ambrose, but in general the final ball from both sides was not great, an easily dealt with by the two defences. The second half was again an even battle until the last ten when Illogan seemed to sense that Wendron were tiring slightly and put us under a lot more pressure, as Jason R has previously said, Ryan made a great save from the prolific Dom Pullen. We held out until two minutes from time when the ball was half cleared, by Moseley towards Barney, as the ball bounced, an alert Luke Wort managed to out muscle Adam, get the ball out of his feet and then unleash a quality strike from outside the box, that Tressider could only get fingers tips to, but couldn't stop it going into the net! That's what I get for letting him go on a free earlier in the season!! Good luck to Mikey, Lester, Jamo, and all the people at Illogan, for the rest of the season.

Goonhavern 1-2 Pendeen. Both sides had patched up teams, however, we only have ourselves to blame for not getting anything out of it. We hit the bar 3 times, Pendeen's 'keeper made some great saves and we missed a penalty with pretty much last kick of the game. Pendeen had their chances too, more so in the second half. I think their goals came from Gary Matthews (?).

Goonhavern 1-2 Pendeen. Both sides had patched up teams, however, we only have ourselves to blame for not getting anything out of it. We hit the bar 3 times, Pendeen's 'keeper made some great saves and we missed a penalty with pretty much last kick of the game. Pendeen had their chances too, more so in the second half. I think their goals came from Gary Matthews (?).

would agree with you mama, game of two halfs. you could have had the game wrapped up in the first 25mins, as you said hit the woodwork 3 times and our keeper on top form. thought we started to get back into it last ten of the first half and deserved the equilizer. the loss of gosling for you had a big impact as you seemed to lose your way a bit after he went off. second half i felt we were definatly the stronger side, and your keeper pulled off some great stops ,that said you did have a pen right at the end which would have given you a share of the spoils, which might have been the fair result but luckily for us your big guy blaised over the bar. thanks for the hospitality after the game, and good luck for the rest of the season. ref today on top form i thought, so well done to him .

Holman Sports Club 1-2 Falmouth Athletic

Att 8

Holman Goalscorer Jason Blight.

Well it looks pretty over now counting goal difference we are 9 points from safety and it looks like our 'great escape' is ending up like Steve McQueen' on a motorbike trying to do a bit of fence jumping on his day off!!

I was in charge for the day as Tasky has buggered off up to Barnsley to buy a motor car....why he can't just look for one in the West Briton like any other normal person is beyond me. Left with a massive squad of 12 I tried a bit of Claudio raneri tinkering but at the end of the day even if we built a barn door the size of baripper we would probably struggle to hit it.

I can't believe I'm saying this but we could do with a bit of rain!!! Blaythorne is bouncier then my kids trampoline in the back garden so both sides were struggling to get it on the deck. We decided to go route 1 fairly early with a bit of aerial bombardment but sadly the Athletic defence coped with it comfortably. Bit of niggle set in and the ref took my autograph after 20min (must be a fan) and Aaron was having a friendly chat with the athletic right back.

The visitors took the lead from a headed corner which we should have defended better and Ben had a bit of a limp wristed moment. Jase got us back on level terms with another header....the ball must have been knackered the amount of time spent in the air!

HT 1-1

Still all to play for we just huffed and puffed but couldn't blow the house down and then Athletic beat our offside trap by a rizla paper and went through to score. I threw (not literally he's a bit heavy) Selly up front to have three attackers but sadly we just couldn't create anything and the score ended 1-2

So mathematically not out of it....but we are pretty realistic the writings on the thing pink floyd once sang about and our 9 year tenure in the combo is sadly about to come to an end.....wonder who might join us with the SWPL about to end could make things interesting!

Yes I agree Keith, thought the ref did a good job yesterday.

Yes Sids, who is doing superbly at the moment, pulled off a good save from Domo, but we too had some chances first half. Could tell by the Illogan reactions that they were worked very hard for the win.

CTB: just out of interest, if your first team gets relegated this season, will you continue to 'follow' the reserves more so, or will we see you at Combo grounds again?

Yes I agree Keith, thought the ref did a good job yesterday.

Yes Sids, who is doing superbly at the moment, pulled off a good save from Domo, but we too had some chances first half. Could tell by the Illogan reactions that they were worked very hard for the win.

CTB: just out of interest, if your first team gets relegated this season, will you continue to 'follow' the reserves more so, or will we see you at Combo grounds again?

Yeah the lads were buzzing as they knew it was a massive game for them off the back of a poor performance last Sunday so they all had to dig in, plus they knew wendron were on a good run so getting back to winning ways was really important and not going to be easy. They also had no main manager, a couple of lads dropped out last minute so needed to call on 2nds so everyone really had to pull together which they did admirably.

Was a little surprised people reported the game as being so even as i felt illogan were the better side overall.

1st half illogan played some great football and if the final ball was better could have scored a couple.

2nd half was a bit tighter and I agree that neither goalkeeper was that troubled, but last 10-15 mins they did step up the pressure, inspired substitutions I put it down too, lol. Fortunately Luke smashed a great strike in from 30 yards worthy of winning any game and no less than the lads deserved but that's just my opinion.

The win along with every other result pretty much going the 1st teams way made it all the sweeter as well. So with that said I will get back to the trelawney forum where I belong!

Great game on Saturday and a good win for us (perranwell) enjoy every time we play at st day! Talking to the managers son waiting for the second half to start they are looking to go up next season if they finish in the top 2 in the 2013-14 season! With the strength they have in their seconds could easily see good sides in the south western and the combo! The pitch is in great condition and perfect size for my old tiring body and bionic knee! The set up there seems suited to a higher league! Only complaint surely has to be the quality of sausages after the game (surely not enteringtons) and the amount of jugs handed out to the home teams ( very jealous) yet not one offered to the away team espescially as we has treated them to a goal fest!

Joking aside Goodluck to st day and people who have put in a lot of time and effort getting them where they are today and be good to see them playing their football in the league above in the near future!

Nemesis, i can,t help but feel that Ludgvan V Newquay match was showing very little, if no respect at all for the league or clubs that play within in it!

Firstly, allowing Newquay Swpl players to play for another club when your second team has been struggling all season.

Secondly, praising the same players for not playing against their own club

Thirdly,the effect you may have on the cobination league itself.by "lending" players to another club only to take them away when playing Newquay.

Who on earth is in charge of running such a fiasco at Newquay AFC.

Your quote that Newquay got the respect they deserved from Mcgee and Devine, try taking their wages away then you will see if they have any respect for Newquay

Ludgvan do not want to join swpl in the near future, Holman's don,t want to join the trelawney league in the near future either, but that thought did,nt cross your mind did it?

Next week it might be the other end of the league that "Your" club disrupts! Messing up a team that has played well all season, only to have their reward of a league title taken away because Newquay's big guns don,t have a game!

A sad day for those clubs striving to grow as big as Newquay, but on the bright side when your money goes (which it will) so will your players afterall most of them left Falmouth Town the same time as the gravy train.

Nothing against Newquay, but Deadcert is spot on, reinforcing the power that fixturing and refixturing dates wield over who actually wins the Combo. Now neither Helston nor Penzance are in the league, the malicious motivation that held sway for years may have diminished, but I feel sorry for Ludgvan: in normal circumstances of fair play the team placed 3rd seldom loses 2-5 at home to the one placed 19th. I feel sorrier for Holmans.

Let's hope that if Newquay have games left against Illogan and St Day they will either load up equally against BOTH or not at all.

Knew this absurdity would become even more common when the SWPL West was formed with too few teams to be more than a Sept-March league. A sensible solution would be to increase the overall number of teams in SWPL west to 18 and maybe lower the Combo to 18. The present situation is down to the arbitrary decision of the FA to allow the SWPL 50 rather than 54 clubs, probably just because it was a round number.

Alternatively, we could accept that the Combo is a league of junior standard and embrace that reality ?