Cornwall Football Forum

Combo Results Thread and Latest Table

Mullion 5 vs Holmans 2 - Holmans goalscorer was rikki smith one pen and a tap in from an aaron meredith cross/shot, would like to wish rikki all the best and hope he will be fit soon after a bed clash of heads that left him requiring a ambluance after collapsing in the changing room after the game, other than that bad point i would like to wish mullion all the best for the rest of the season and look forward to playing you at Blaythorne's later on in the season :) :)

rikki still diving after the game .. haa. All the best rick

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the help over the weekend.

Can you post your results, goal scorers and attendances on this thread please as I have to e-mail the info to the newspapers by Wednesday morning

You can also text me on 07597907549 with any details especially about any match Ludgvan play as they seem to be the only club who don't pass anything on. I had the same problem last time they were in the league.

Cornwall Combination League

21st August 2012

Falmouth Town Reserves (Luke Wort) 1-3 Illogan RBL (Ian Cullingham, Sam Emery, Adam Calloway)

Att - ???

Mullion (???) 5-2 Holman SC (Rikki Smith 2)

Att - ???

Newquay Reserves (Sam McKune) 1-2 St Agnes (???)

Att - 56

Pendeen Rovers (Gary Matthews 2, Scott Meagor) 3-1 Ludgvan (???)

Att - 120

Penryn Athletic Reserves (Ryan Reeve, Mike Cruse) 2-1 Troon (James Paradise)

Att - 49

Perranwell 0-3 St Day (Tom Hogarth, Chris Tolley, Gavin Boon)

Att - 60

Porthleven Reserves (OG) 1-3 Hayle Reserves (Billy Foster, Chris Bullock, OG)

Att - 35

St Ives Town (Jowan May, Scott Clulee) 2-1 St Just (Callum George)

Att - 55

Wendron United (Ryan Tressider 2, Tom Langford 2, ??? Searle) 5-2 Falmouth Athletic (Ben Kellow 2)

Att - ???

st ives att woz 55 did that go up to 60 when the 5 were sent off lol

BManning - well sir, if you've never seen a ref ruin a game, I would have to wonder how much football you've seen. No offence meant.

Keith, i dont think any referree does that intentionly , they have bad games like players,officials, and managers. I would give the ref 6/10 tonight just above average considering what he had to deal with.

Interesting to find how many marks Gerald gave the child referee.......if his opinion is reflective of most of the other spectators, this confetti of red and yellow cards will be binned.

Riggins, I know your father would have been grateful for my late nights at Truro College, which reflected my commitment to the education of Cornwall.......it's still the best educational establishment you could set foot in, even without me !! If he's who I think he was, he was an absolute star....and a contributor to Rod's Lucky Numbers.

Sadly, I can't make it down this weekend, Keith. Appreciate your match reports and all the great work you and the rest of the committee have been doing at Ladrowda Park, however. Hope it's a good game against the Well with a ref who lets the players entertain the crowd rather than trying to do it hiself.

My number is 01453 886379.

I would give all referees 10/10 for turning up. With all the crap they take from players and spectators

these days, its a wonder we have any at all. Don't give me the old "I pay my money" line either, that just does not wash.

The interesting thing I find is, when you stand next to a referee who is only there to watch, they themselves can be critical too! without openly shouting it of course.

Mullion 5 vs Holmans 2 - Holmans goalscorer was rikki smith one pen and a tap in from an aaron meredith cross/shot, would like to wish rikki all the best and hope he will be fit soon after a bed clash of heads that left him requiring a ambluance after collapsing in the changing room after the game, other than that bad point i would like to wish mullion all the best for the rest of the season and look forward to playing you at Blaythorne's later on in the season :) :)

rikki still diving after the game .. haa. All the best rick

haha it was aaron that one the penalty this time and rick will be rick, :D

Ludgvan scorer was Tom Patrick

3 penalties for Pendeen. One certain the other two a bit soft but can't complain

Ludgvan started the better side and tried to play football which forced Pendeen into a number of wreckless tackles to say the least that were not dealt with by the ref, which changed the game scrappy

Second half a different story . No real football played by either side but pendeen battled a lot harder and wanted it more

Not the start Ludgvan were looking for but we will bounce back..

Pendeen ludgvan game what a game that had everything was a bit of hard battle at times and once again the pendeen lads were up for it they all give 100% . I woukd just like to say from my self and all the pendeen die hard fans a big thank you for all you committe tonight the whole team played there hearts out well done to you all

and not a bad gate to be had 120

I was at the game - result St Ives 2 St Just 1 - Generally a good game, lots of good football played by both sides. Referee was poor from the start and lost control completely just before the end. The brawl, which resulted in 5 players in all being sent off, 3 St Ives 2 St Just, was started when St Just were awarded a free kick just minutes from the end. The St Just keeper Andrew Curnow left his goal and came up for the free kick - ball came over and the St Just keeper appeared to be elbowed in the face as he jumped for the ball in the middle of the melay. ( I stand to be corrected). After that all hell broke loose and a massive brawl broke out lasting a few moments. Result was five sendings off in total. A good game spoilt by a poor ref.

You seem too have missed the bit where st justs keeper shortly before being assaulted bodychecked simon stevens and tried too kick or maybe did kick i think ian hodges, st just can play some really good football they dominated for twenty minutes after the break equalised but when they went behind lost it and argued every decision, they could have had a player sent of for a terrible challenge on ian hodges, all in all it was the same kind of game as last year except that st ives have players this year who wont be intimidated and bullied and i think too blame the referee is a joke, and for the record i dont support st ives or st just

3 penalties for Pendeen. One certain the other two a bit soft but can't complain

Ludgvan started the better side and tried to play football which forced Pendeen into a number of wreckless tackles to say the least that were not dealt with by the ref, which changed the game scrappy

Second half a different story . No real football played by either side but pendeen battled a lot harder and wanted it more

randy im afraid i cant agree with your versions of tonights game. you did start the better for the first 30 min , and took a deserved lead. pendeen pulled one back with the first of their three pens, i dont think u can complain about any of them. the second half pendeen pushed ludgvan back for most of the half. as

ludgvan the better side in the first half. second half pendeen pushed ludgvan backwards for long periods. dont think u can complain about any of the pens. as for pendeen making a number of wreckless tackles, i think their were two bad tackles that warranted cards,but ludgvan made 2 or 3 of their own that also warranted cards. a good battle between two local sides. best wishes to ludgvan for the season, their a decent side who will cause other sides problems.

Penryn 2-1 Troon

Att- 35ish...

Yet again Troon will come away with the frustration of not getting something from this game,first half things pretty even,2nd half all Troon just couldn't grab that equaliser. Credit to winno and penryn who will be there or there abouts again this year with a good squad of players youth mixed with experience,they'll do well. Appologies to winnos lad who I 'judo' throwed out of touch,looks like hes done some damage to his arm/wrist,no intention to hurt the lad,send my regards,not a touch on what happened down at the st Ives game mind...!!

All the best to winno and penryn for the remainder of the season.

Cheers Jamie these things happen he's fractured his wrist but I'm sure he will thanks for asking mate!!! I thought it was a great game both teams playin football ad it should be played not a lot of boot and hope both teams had plenty of chances could probly have been 6-6!!! You probly didn't pressure the keeper enough especially seeming his groins gone!!!

Good luck for rest of season mate u got a very tidy side and I'm sure you will be up there mate!!!

as a wendron man i think the 2 sendings off in our game were just and fair, a late tackle from behind by ours and a dangerous stamp by theres. After speaking to the ref ours will be a professional foul and theres for foul conduct which i believe fair and will be punished accordingly by the fa! as for st ives st just how can you blame the ref for players acting like hooligans, in my experience same old st just who racially abused and assaulted in my opinion our old manager, Robin Watts, and then laughed it off!

We all need to give our referees a break, there is a mass shortage and the ones who are still about need to be cut some slack, they arent all perfect and some of there imperfections will effect every team as the season progresses!

I am not sticking up for mistakes by referees because they annoy me to but come on, without them we arent going to have a game!

as a wendron man i think the 2 sendings off in our game were just and fair, a late tackle from behind by ours and a dangerous stamp by theres. After speaking to the ref ours will be a professional foul and theres for foul conduct which i believe fair and will be punished accordingly by the fa! as for st ives st just how can you blame the ref for players acting like hooligans, in my experience same old st just who racially abused and assaulted in my opinion our old manager, Robin Watts, and then laughed it off!

We all need to give our referees a break, there is a mass shortage and the ones who are still about need to be cut some slack, they arent all perfect and some of there imperfections will effect every team as the season progresses!

I am not sticking up for mistakes by referees because they annoy me to but come on, without them we arent going to have a game!

Well said st just try to bully teams for results far to often clearly here they meet their match...

How about the three St Ives red cards, Flibert ? As a neutral, did you also applaud the referee for those ?

Rod, the st ives lad had two yellows, slightly harsh. Letter of the law then maybe. The brawl!!! All should have gone without doubt. I was ten yards away. Im sure tomorrow they will all regret what happened, very surreal at the end, everybody shaking hands.

Note to Keith B, no offence taken but i have referee`d over 2000 games I also played at a senior level and I have yet to meet any referee who started a mass brawl, it will only be started by players who lose control of themselves and in that situation any referee will be unable to control what is happening. My instructions to neutral assistants in this type of scenario is to stand back watch and lets get the main offenders and send them off. Part of this theory is when they have knocked crap out of each other they will not have any energy left to have a go at me.

I was at the game - result St Ives 2 St Just 1 - Generally a good game, lots of good football played by both sides. Referee was poor from the start and lost control completely just before the end. The brawl, which resulted in 5 players in all being sent off, 3 St Ives 2 St Just, was started when St Just were awarded a free kick just minutes from the end. The St Just keeper Andrew Curnow left his goal and came up for the free kick - ball came over and the St Just keeper appeared to be elbowed in the face as he jumped for the ball in the middle of the melay. ( I stand to be corrected). After that all hell broke loose and a massive brawl broke out lasting a few moments. Result was five sendings off in total. A good game spoilt by a poor ref.

Ha ha i find it comical that you can actually blame a spoilt game to a poor ref when the referee did not throw the elbow and start a brawl. Referees may not get it right but then nor do footballers. If we i.e. players and refs were that good, we would all be in a much higher league. As long as players have respect for each other and for the referees, then most of these instances would not happen!

Mullion 5 Holmans 2

Mullion dominated the 1st half & went in 4 up through Rob Carey, Alan Thomas, Sam Harry & Dagan Vaughan-Spruse. Should of been a lot more !

Full credit to Holmans for the way they came out & had a real go in the 2nd half, pulling 2 goals back whilst Mullion continued to create & then miss chances at the other end, their final goal being an OG.

Best wishes to Rikki Smith who suffered an horrendous clash of heads with Darren Robertson near the end of the game.& good luck to Tasky & Pitty at Holmans for the rest of the season.

Now, after all the ref bashing going on AGAIN, ( 2 games in, 5 players sent off & you still blame the ref !!! Unbelievable ! ) a big well done to the ref at Mullion last night, George Pattinson, sorry to the others, but, the best referree in the county by a country mile.

The violence boils down to a lack of discipline both individually and collectively (unfortunately, that seems to be replicated throughout society and not just football). Hopefully the CCFA will deal with this swiftly and justly to lay down a marker for the rest of the season.

Let's not forget that that this is Saturday afternoon (and Tuesday evening) 'amateur' football (I hesitate to use the words 'micky mouse'). Although you play to win, you have a beer after the game and go and get on with your lives. In the overall scheme of things, does it really necessitate a mass brawl?

Magowan30 - the ref let too much go unpunished from the start. When he did award free kicks for fouls in the first half, they were heavily weighted against St Just, many quite wrongly. In the second half he did award more free kicks to St Just but by then the players from both sides were disenchanted with his performance. It was a fiercely contested game, played hard by both sides. But the ref let far too much go, seemingly missing fouls committed by both sides. His linesman seemed only to be watching for offside and ignoring fouls. The effect of this on the players was that they began to take retalitory action all round. I say again, the game contained much good football, but, the ref by his poor handling failed the players in my estimation. They got frustrated and this resulted in the bad ending. I'm not saying for one moment that the fouling was excusable, fouls never are, but the ref was weak and in my estimation lost proper control early on.

doesn,t this standard of football,just above junior,you have club linesmen and they are told to just give throw ins and offsides,so to blame the ref and the CLUB lineo is an utter joke,so evey game that the ref has a bad game lets all have a punch up,heard it all now,but you did give me a giggle mate

How about the three St Ives red cards, Flibert ? As a neutral, did you also applaud the referee for those ?

Well rodney i didnt but i also didnt applaud the st just red cards either, we all like watching a hard tackle and even a bit of banter

but my point is in this season and last i have watched st ives three times twice against st just and both games were identical in the result and in the nature of the game, last year seventeen year old kid punched in stomach off the ball, player sent of for pshycotic challenge this year more of the same, the other game i watched st ives play in nothing out of the ordinary, but i understand you defending your club who you are obviously very proud of, but i think that you had to be there which you wernt too fully take it in, im not saying st ives were blameless but theres was more retaliation than instigation, And i think too blame the referee is not on, there were two ex refs on touchline who thought game was a disgrace, and two holiday makers who couldnt believe what was going on, but the most telling thing was the surreal silence as the players came of the pitch less than a couple of minutes after mass brawl, stevie curnow looked quite shocked by it all as well, any way looking forward to next year.

Sorry Keith B, that does not work in human nature, someone who does not want to start a fight will not despite provocation, I have been there and seen it, also what on earth is "properly handled the game" ! Please ponder this thought , the control any referee has over any player/ players is only the amount of control that player/players are willing to give him. If players do not want to behave then no matter what the referee does will not change anything, I have found that out many times, an example which you must have witnessed, I will always speak to a player as my first course of action, my next is a verbal warning, the next step is to use the cards, but with some players they seem intent on just causing trouble no matter how as a referee you approach them. i hope this makes sense to you.

While agreeing with the principle of resoect for the referee, whatever his weaknesses, there seems to be consensus that the official at The Saltings lacked the ezperience to lay the groundwork of reasonable discipline earlier in the game. While everybody needs the chance to learn, the appointment was unwise.

The best referees in Cornwall are excellent. Unfortunately, there seems to be a greater range of ability than elsewhere. How good do our officials themselves consider the FA's training programme, as locally administered ? And what satisfaction levels exist in relation to the allocation of referees to particular clubs ?

While agreeing with the principle of resoect for the referee, whatever his weaknesses, there seems to be consensus that the official at The Saltings lacked the ezperience to lay the groundwork of reasonable discipline earlier in the game. While everybody needs the chance to learn, the appointment was unwise.

The best referees in Cornwall are excellent. Unfortunately, there seems to be a greater range of ability than elsewhere. How good do our officials themselves consider the FA's training programme, as locally administered ? And what satisfaction levels exist in relation to the allocation of referees to particular clubs ?

Does it matter if he lacked experience, surely an experience ref, BManning for example, would have sent off the same if not more for a brawl. How is a young referee expected to gain experience if he isnt out on the pitch, im sure at the time he didnt enjoy it, but he would have taken a fair bit from this game.

Perhaps challenges were ignored during the game, but surely as a St. Just player you cannot complain about that, You are the most physical team in the league and have a fair amount of success by playin a physical style of football.

When i heard that there was a match with 5 red cards I would have put money on it being a St. Just match. I dont have a problem with it, because when I play against them I know exactly what im going to get, a proper rough and tumble game that always has the potential to boil over.

hi BManning.....I no longer get copies of the list.....so fair comment, if the appointed referee was not the one who actually officiated. When I was a club secretary, some referees were much better than others at following the rules laid down for communication with the CCFA, theor own appointing officers and clubs. Those who weren't occasionally caused inappropriate appointments in emergencies.,,,or left games without an official. I wnder what led to the substitution by the trainee in this case.

I bet you never sent off five in the same game...

The worst classroom discipline I ever witnessed belonged to a teacher who gave 14 detentions in a 35 minute class.....there are parallels.

The worst classroom discipline I ever witnessed belonged to a teacher who gave 14 detentions in a 35 minute class.....there are parallels.

Were you one of the 14 isaac? LOL.

Does anybody really think that the issueing of yellow cards would have prevented the brawl - of course not.

If there is history between two clubs and an undercurrent of animosity, it will prevail. It will never change, when you go to places the like of St Just, and others, village mentality will show itself. One for all and all for one. The further out into the sticks you go the worse it becomes. St Just, Pendeen, there is nothing to do in these places so they vent their frustrations on the football pitch.

No referee could prevent that brawl, stop blaming the poor sod. Have a go at reffing or run the line, then you will see the gobshite that is the average football supporter. Always remember, different angle of view - different perspective.

Magowan30 - the ref let too much go unpunished from the start. When he did award free kicks for fouls in the first half, they were heavily weighted against St Just, many quite wrongly. In the second half he did award more free kicks to St Just but by then the players from both sides were disenchanted with his performance. It was a fiercely contested game, played hard by both sides. But the ref let far too much go, seemingly missing fouls committed by both sides. His linesman seemed only to be watching for offside and ignoring fouls. The effect of this on the players was that they began to take retalitory action all round. I say again, the game contained much good football, but, the ref by his poor handling failed the players in my estimation. They got frustrated and this resulted in the bad ending. I'm not saying for one moment that the fouling was excusable, fouls never are, but the ref was weak and in my estimation lost proper control early on.

doesn,t this standard of football,just above junior,you have club linesmen and they are told to just give throw ins and offsides,so to blame the ref and the CLUB lineo is an utter joke,so evey game that the ref has a bad game lets all have a punch up,heard it all now,but you did give me a giggle mate

Magowan30 - when I brief a Combo Club Linesman, he is never given any responsibility surrounding Law 12 (Fouls and Misconduct). Typically Club Linesman at this level are not qualified (could be players / some are) or are typically biased towards their team (the defending team). They are given the tasks of ball in and out of play for throw ins in their 3rd of the field, goal kicks and offsides (active play only) - even though this can at all times be over ruled. The captains are informed of this at the start of the game. There the linesman not watching for fouls is likely to be based on the brief he was given.

As for blaming the referee, when footballers grow up, become men and except that in life you can actually be at fault - this might stop.......!!!! A complete farce......

When a referee has been appointed and takes the game, he is in charge, you can say what you like about his decisions during the game and he will take what action he chooses. Some refs will have a laugh with you, some are stricter and will caution you for the slightest remark,it might just be one had a good day and the other had a bad day.But long and short of it all is that they are there to do a job and what they give or don,t give is down to the individual ref.Laws are not always set in stone and can be interpreted in different ways.

However from the above posts the referee at this game obviously did,nt deem it nessecary to dish out yellow cards early on. A brawl started and he had no choice but to issue red cards to several players. The ref has done what he considers correct at the time and thats what matters.

We all stand on the touchline claiming decisions should have been given the other way from what has been given.

Also the players and clubs involved are both going to have their problems with suspensions fines ect from this incident and is it right that we should be highlighting these sort of incidents in football?Would we not be better highlighting the good things that happen!

Would we not be better highlighting the good things that happen!

The world would be a better place if we all looked at it through rose coloured spectacles. All the world wars would not of happened, all the atrocities would not have happened and so on. So lets not talk about that? They would still have occured of course, but no-one would know It happened.

Its part and parcel of sport good or bad, It will be recalled in the clubhouse at St Thugs for many a year, more so than any good goal.

Its called life, so lets not discuss it at all? or just brush over it? Utter nonsense.

theolderigetthebetteriwas. judging by your last post "St Thugs" I feel you have got more of an issue than just this game.

The person who posted that they are glad they did,nt take their son must wrap him in cotton wool and lock him indoors.Life is full of incidents that are probably far worse than this ie a car crash,a fire,somebody colapsing in the street to name but a few.

while I don,t condone such an incident I have no wish to highlight it either!

Agree with Topcat on commenting on the good parts

What I will say is it doesn't surprise me St.Just are involved again, the club should be shut down

They are a disgrace to cornish football

Of course just an opinion

But Racism and Violence in the last 12 months there, on more than one occasion is not acceptable !!

I have been reading this topic for the last few days now and thought I would have my say being a st just player! Over the last couple of days it has gone from people having veiws on what happened on Tuesday night, to now just having a pop for the sake of it! We are Farley used to this as it happens quite a lot! I don't know whether anybody knows but st Ives had there part to play as well! they had three sent off on the night to our two! The game was fairly physical all the way through and st Ives certainly held there own on that front! I say fair play to st Ives for coming out and not rolling over because they are playing 'st thugs'! You won't hear st just moaning about challenges because believe it or not it really is still part of the game! As for racism...... You should be posting under ' joey the joker'!

What happened the other night was all a bit much, but when you get two teams of men together who quite obviously have a rivalry sometimes things like this happen! Turns out it happens quite a lot actually and believe it or not st just aren't involved!

Look forward to seeing you all down at lafrowda park

Well said. There are no hard feelings between St Just and St Ives on the pitch, just hard tackles. Part of the good fortune of St Just is that it retains some community, unlike so much of the anglicised Cornwall that has become a touristic self-parody or an empty slew of holiday homes. Against the tedious spread of global homogeneity, St Just is a place that still carries pride in its name and identity. The Tinners are an important part of that. Be assured that while I am alive,as long as there are 11 people who want to wear the green shirt, win or lose,there will be a club. :c::drink:

Thanks to "older" for encouraging me to continue running the line. Deano's preconceived agenda is unworthy of an response. Having worked in various contexts against racism, I find it troubling that he makes unevidenced statements about it so lightly. BManning...so I lose this bet...should the game we've been discussing also have been abandoned for consistency or was the referee mistaken in allowing it to continue ? :)

Were you one of the 14 isaac? LOL.

Does anybody really think that the issueing of yellow cards would have prevented the brawl - of course not.

If there is history between two clubs and an undercurrent of animosity, it will prevail. It will never change, when you go to places the like of St Just, and others, village mentality will show itself. One for all and all for one. The further out into the sticks you go the worse it becomes. St Just, Pendeen, there is nothing to do in these places so they vent their frustrations on the football pitch.

No referee could prevent that brawl, stop blaming the poor sod. Have a go at reffing or run the line, then you will see the gobshite that is the average football supporter. Always remember, different angle of view - different perspective.

Please can I let it be known-We (Pendeen Rovers) did not have a single RED card last season (for our first team~!!,FACT! could nearly say the same for our reserves, however in the last 2 games of the season, 3 were shown!)!!!!!

So in reponse to your posting I disagree with what your saying! Pendeen & St Just are clubs that are known for being physical. but I think there's a big difference between not backing out of a challenge and deliberately fowling another player, Both Pendeen and St Just are more known for this in days gone by, In recent years you would not get away with reckless challenges.

This is our 3rd season back in the combo, which means we have played St Just 4 times, these being massive derby games (Pendeen and St Just derby games are legendary) I cannot recall a single player for either side being sent off. I fail to see how you can say living in a village some how alters how you play football.

P.S even in the back of beyond (Pendeen & St Just) driving instructors have made there way down, they built roads, put on public transport (only occassionally horse and carriage!!!) But we still do not get channel 5 (Go figure!!)

I think the racial abuse topic is something completely unrelated, and although cannot be tolerated, the event was never followed up; although it was a hot topic of discussion up our way for a while after.

I think we have this conversation about St Just's physicality every season. It is what you expect when you play the Tinners, along with some decent football. And like someone said, St Ives aren't exactly innocent in this event either.

I remember my second senior game, away at St Just and one of the Curnow boys threatened me with my life, perhaps as a sacrifice, I'm not entirely sure. But after the game they are all great guys and generally as nice as pie, which is all part of the St Just experience. Yes they are physical, intimidating, but it is effective for them, as long as they don't do anything in malice or go outto hurt then I've no problem. This case may be an exception. Obviously this kind of behaviour needs addressing, as we all are involved on a Saturday (or Tuesday) because we love the game and enjoy it, not because we want a brawl. I'm sure those involved regret it and they should be made an example of because there is no place for behaviour of this sort.

Roll on tomorrow night for the next Combo Results thread.