Cornwall Football Forum

Truro City v Maidenhead United

Truro City 1 (Hayles 64), Maidenhead United 2 (Powell 49, Thomas 87)

City came into the game after three straight defeats but with the good news of Hayles and Watkins back together upfront.

Having won the toss and kicking towards the clubhouse end, Truro went close early on, twice through Marcus Martin and then after 13 minutes Andy Taylor shot wide from distance.

However although the visitors never threatened too much in the first 45 minutes, Scott Walker, back in the side again, cleared a certain goal on 24 minutes, and their big central defender Leigh Henry, should surely have headed home as the interval approached.

The attendance was announced as 576, although with all the overhyped drama during the week surrounding abusive singing leaving supporters unhappy, not surprisingly the crowd was fairly quiet and the atmosphere was generally subdued.

Just the one yellow card of the whole game came after 32 minutes, Bobby Behzadi the offender for the visitors after a rather desperate challenge on Andy Watkins.

The start of the second half saw Ed Palmer introduced in place of the injured Steve Adams. It also saw City give the ball away from the kick-off with things getting worse soon after for them as Martle Powell side-footed home after Manny Williams created the opening.

‘Keeper Sandecombe prevented the visitors going further ahead before Truro began to force the game with Martin in particular attempting some efforts at goal, although shooting over. At the other end Wall was only inches away from touching home a Williams cross.

The deserved goal eventually came for Truro just past the hour when Walker’s free-kick hit the upright and Hayles reacted well as the ball came back out to him and the No.10 touched it home from ten yards out for his first goal of the season.

With the likes of Pugh heading wide, a win looked more than possible as Truro lifted their game up a little more and at last the crowd began to make a noise.

However, with Truro pushing forward, they got caught on the break when substitute Anthony Thomas cut in from the left and finished with accuracy as his shot ended up in the far corner of Sandercombe’s net.

Too late for City to pull the game back, although manager Lee Hodges thought his side had done well, apart from the result of course!

Truro City : Sandercombe, McConnell, Walker, Pugh, Adams (Palmer 46), Ash ©, Taylor, Martin, Watkins, Hayles, Afful

Subs not used : Clay, Broad, Smith, Yetton.

Maidenhead Utd : Lumley, Behzadi, Solomon, Brown, Henry, Scarborough ©, Wall (Thomas 68), Hendry, Williams (Saroya 88), Powell, Worsfold. (Holgate 68).

Subs not used : Tison-Lascaris, Silver

Ref : Brett Huxtable (Torrington), Assts – Sheridan (Gloucester), Ricketts (Bristol)

Truro's Sponsors' Man of the Match : Jake Ash

Reasonable match report however my reading of the game was that maidenhead played a canny game in the second half and it was no surprise to see them punish Truro the way they did with an incisive counter attack. Some quality football on display, truro much improved from last monday.

Most surprising thing for me though was the large number of police on duty, walking up to the ground it reminded me of Millwall, a steward by the gate said it was because there was a train load of Argyle fans on the way

Yeah that was because Argyle fans were threatening a protest to get the game called off on their PASOTI forum. And it's really quite sad and pathetic that 2 members on here are laughing at Truro's defeat. They're the best team in Cornwall.

Of course they're the best team in Cornwall - they're also by far the most costly. Personally, I'm not unhappy when Truro lose. I'm from Falmouth and when I was a youngster first watching football there was an intense rivalry between Falmouth & Truro (even though most of there players were Plymothians) and this has stayed with me to this day. I did think it was very sad when Truro shed their red & black to become the White Tigers but realise that it was aimed, a la Cornish Pirates, to garner support from around the county.

I shall be at Boreham Wood on Saturday where I expect a Truro City WIN.

No one said the Conference was going to be easy, performances so far have been acceptable except for Havant where we shipped 4 goals, in the other six games Truro have been even scoring and conceding just 6 goals, the players returning from injury will be a game nearer match fitness and that has to be good up front.

Currently in 13th place that is not far off where most supporters expected the team to be, because of so many foreign players coming into the top of the English leagues, home grown talent has been forced further down football's pyramid, todays Conference is much stronger than ever before probably on a par with the Football League a few decades ago.

To get to the Conference has been a bonus, long may we enjoy it, the main obstacle has to be attracting players to venture so far South West. Every now and again City have a poor performance (Havant), I wonder if there are occasions that the travelling takes it's toll, Truro experience long journeys every other week,in this part of the country clubs moan having to go to Cornwall once.

In Lee Hodges Truro have a good manager, I hope those odd goal defeats doesn't take anything away from what Lee has done so far.

The people who often complain about truro are just jealous of there sucess i regulary pay my £10 entry fee and watch them play,not to good so far this year they seem to be out of there depths at the moment especially in the defence and Barry Hayles is too slow for this league his age is catching up on him but he is still a very good player .

Mountaineer getting FACTS wrong again... Truro in the Conference ?, Really ?, When did that happen ?

The Football Conference was formed in 1979 from leading teams in the Northern Premier League and Southern League and was originally known as the Alliance Premier League, Truro have never been at that level.

Truro are currently in the BSQB South Division and would need to gain another promotion to reach what used to be called Conference, not likely to happen this season on current form.

The people who often complain about truro are just jealous of there sucess i regulary pay my £10 entry fee and watch them play,not to good so far this year they seem to be out of there depths at the moment especially in the defence and Barry Hayles is too slow for this league his age is catching up on him but he is still a very good player .

Perhaps you should support your home town club, they have won 5 out of 5 so far and will score several tomorrow night v Perranporth @ Mount Wise Stadium 7.30pm, still only £3.00

Perhaps you should support your home town club, they have won 5 out of 5 so far and will score several tomorrow night v Perranporth @ Mount Wise Stadium 7.30pm, still only £3.00

Yeh Newquay doing very well considering they haven't got a budget, or is that not true? I only ask because pre season you insisted there was no budget . Might still be the case but looking at your team sheet there are mercanaries that wouldn't get out of bed unless they where paid a tenner.

Yeh Newquay doing very well considering they haven't got a budget, or is that not true? I only ask because pre season you insisted there was no budget . Might still be the case but looking at your team sheet there are mercanaries that wouldn't get out of bed unless they where paid a tenner.

Great start by Newquay but did have a chuckle at the 'mercenaries' comment. I suspect you're instincts are right Hoppit, given the manager and some of the players assembled I suspect there is a decent budget available

Great start by Newquay but did have a chuckle at the 'mercenaries' comment. I suspect you're instincts are right Hoppit, given the manager and some of the players assembled I suspect there is a decent budget available

I imagine it would be a bigger budget than most clubs in the premier, Nemesis chooses to ignore the question as usual.

Totally agree. People at Newquay are not there to play in the sand- there's money!!!

Can't understand the resentment towards Truro. They have investors to try and take them forwards and have higher ambitions than local bragging rights, unlike some.

It would be great for the county to have a team as high as possible, good luck white tigers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Totally agree. People at Newquay are not there to play in the sand- there's money!!!

Can't understand the resentment towards Truro. They have investors to try and take them forwards and have higher ambitions than local bragging rights, unlike some.

It would be great for the county to have a team as high as possible, good luck white tigers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I totally agree hope Truro win promotion. Not sure they should choose what their fans wear though, or what thet say, need all the support the can get.

I totally agree hope Truro win promotion. Not sure they should choose what their fans wear though, or what thet say, need all the support the can get.

Agree - We support our Home City.

Re: Promotion, I think we may have to wait a few years for that, from what I have seen we need a couple of seasons to consolidate, change some personnel etc., so far the performances have not been too bad, in this league one goal secures a result - six of the seven games have been won by the odd goal, 3games going to Truro and three to their opponents..

Mountaineer, just admit you are wrong and be done with it. The Conference as was (is) refers only to the top flight created by the amalgamation of the Northern Prem and Southern League, something not event the most rose tinted City fan can claim that that is where they are.

When I posted there was no budget at Mount Wise Stadium, there wasn't one. As far as I'm aware, the club are using what income comes through the gates, or via commercial efforts to pay travel expenses to those who may need them. Certainly nothing like what most of you imagine, the club are taking the sensible approach, no point bankrupting the club financially or morally like others have done. And unlike some clubs, not a penny crosses from the Clubhouse to Football.

Most players followed the Manager because they want to play for him and or Mewton. No one would wish Newquay to follow Truros example, one man control may work at Chelsea, but I doubt if many would want that uncertainty at their club, most Argyle fans don't. We have an excellent Committee, an increasing amount of sponsors and a structure and framework that is the envy of most others in the County.

I do hope that has answered any concerns you may have over Newquay AFC, feel free to pop along and catch a match.

Mountaineer, just admit you are wrong and be done with it. The Conference as was (is) refers only to the top flight created by the amalgamation of the Northern Prem and Southern League, something not event the most rose tinted City fan can claim that that is where they are.

When I posted there was no budget at Mount Wise Stadium, there wasn't one. As far as I'm aware, the club are using what income comes through the gates, or via commercial efforts to pay travel expenses to those who may need them. Certainly nothing like what most of you imagine, the club are taking the sensible approach, no point bankrupting the club financially or morally like others have done. And unlike some clubs, not a penny crosses from the Clubhouse to Football.

Most players followed the Manager because they want to play for him and or Mewton. No one would wish Newquay to follow Truros example, one man control may work at Chelsea, but I doubt if many would want that uncertainty at their club, most Argyle fans don't. We have an excellent Committee, an increasing amount of sponsors and a structure and framework that is the envy of most others in the County.

I do hope that has answered any concerns you may have over Newquay AFC, feel free to pop along and catch a match.

Hey Nemesis,for a moment there I nearly felt a bit sorry for you.Every time you post people turn on you like snakes.

Not a very well liked person are you?

UP THE CITY.

Nemesis,

If you go back to the official link I posted the page is headed FOOTBALL CONFERENCE it is the CONFERENCE official website, if you go to the F.A website and enter leagues there is a PDF link that shows TRURO CITY in the FOOTBALL CONFERENCE SOUTH (level 2). >>>>>>>>>>>>> We know you are wrong those organisations prove it.

Newquay,

Why have you posted a load of crap about Newquay, I have not mentioned Newquay, you surely are losing your marbles, what makes you think I am interested in VILLAGE kick abouts. You have to accept that there are THIRTY NINE English leagues competing at levels 3/4/5 & 6 between the Conference South Level 2 and SW Peninsula West level 7. That puts Newquay at least SEVEN HUNDRED AND EIGHTY PLACES BELOW Truro City in the pecking order.Relate that to players and there are THOUSANDS playing at a higher standard than what you have on offer and you have the cheek to charge admission.

Cheerio, happy in posting, Ivor.

Did i see Mr Heaney on ITV last night, that new show Red or Black. :clapper:

He couldn't make his mind up, so went for Green instead, then changed his mind.

KIT 65 - Just because I warned folk on this forum many years ago, about the downsides of a club selling out to a property developer, a few silly buggers took a dislike to me personally. Most of the original City fans quickly realised he is not interested in the good of the club hence TISA. As it turns out, I was proved right and now those who defended the man are made to look foolish.

My heart goes out to those original City fans, I hope they get their club back, perhaps at a slightly lower level but still as their club at Treyew Road. Perhaps then Montaineer and his ilk + the glory hunters who jumped on the bandwagon will fade away and leave the club to those who really care about it and its future.

As I have stated many times before, if anyone can openly defend what has gone on, then they are morally bankrupt and make me look like a saint.

Personally, for the sake of football, I hope Argyle go down the Supporters Trust route in the same way as Exeter City did. I also hope that somehow, TISA get their club back and take control of the clubs future.

I am a TISA member,and what is going on at Truro City at the moment,saddens me.

Because I live away from Truro,most games I attend are away.

So the merchandise ban,does'nt really affect me.Telling people what to wear to football matches,beggars belief.

Then the banning of ONE person for foul and abusive language,for life,just leaves me numb.

How many fans and players swear at Treyew Road.?

The only one to be banned is the only one who apologised.

Why cant the Club go forward with everyone singing fron the same hymn sheet.

100% committed to seeing Truro City being successful from all parties.

Surely thats what we all want.

FT: Truro City 1-2 Maidenhead United
Dear o Dear o Dear poor little truro lost again , Oh happy days
I agree Snooper it cheered me up no end hearing that shower lost again : )

Yes 'that shower' being the best team in Cornwall by at least 4 divisions. And Nemesis of course Truro are in the conference.

Just because it sounds good, doesn't make it so. The Championship is Div 2 and League 2 in the real world is still The Fourth Division, the Div below that is the Conference. Which one of those are Truro in ? Thats right, Blue Square Bet South, the one below the Conference. Torquay and Exeter have been in the Conference, Argyle will be next season, Truro are very unlikely to be.

FT: Truro City 1-2 Maidenhead United
Dear o Dear o Dear poor little truro lost again , Oh happy days
I agree Snooper it cheered me up no end hearing that shower lost again : )

Dont worry about it,we do the same at Truro when Falmouth go down the pan. :c:

Kit 65 , Youve got me all wrong, Im not worried in the slightest in fact i take joy in your lot losing its absolutely my pleasure old boy!!

I still watch newquay occasionally but its not the same as the old south western league the good old battles with st blazey st austell etc but i will be watchin them against perranporth who you cant help feeling sorry for who done so well last season now all the players have deserted them its all about money now.I do begrudge paying £10 to watch truro but the standard of football is so much better,its a shame all the newquay players have been pushed out of the team by all the st blazey players what happened 2 newquays 2 young goalies Barnes was 1 cant think of the other 1 my prediction for newquay vs perranporth 10- 0 to newquay.

I'm reading quite a few negitive posts on here. I posted the result as I think people are genuiely interested in Truro's progress. Surely we should just let our respective clubs get on with it.

So Mr Administrator what do you expect, yes you posted the result, as usual the same vermin came out of the woodwork with their anti Truro bile, if you want to restrict the right to reply you should do the same with the NEWQUAY MOUTH and this websites MODERATOR who regularly have their digs.

It is unfortunate that the state of Cornish football (Truro excluded) has sunk so low that many have to join the Conference South forum insulting Truro fans to get their weekly excitement and it goes on unchecked by admin, where do you see Truro fans entering the other sections looking for trouble? you don't.

Its the nature of the game unfortunately that people support their own club and therefore are blinkered to any achievements elsewhere. However with over 4000 Forum members, I wouldn't worry too much about five or six that have posted on this thread.

Likewise you probably won't see any Truro fan entering another sub-forum because it doesn't interest them, although if I'm honest, I'm not sure many of the them know that football exists elsewhere anyway B) !

Just because it sounds good, doesn't make it so. The Championship is Div 2 and League 2 in the real world is still The Fourth Division, the Div below that is the Conference. Which one of those are Truro in ? Thats right, Blue Square Bet South, the one below the Conference. Torquay and Exeter have been in the Conference, Argyle will be next season, Truro are very unlikely to be.

Fair play... but i wonder what ambition other clubs have locally? I f teams are not aiming to move up the ladder and improve then i fail to see the point.

I agree on current form and with some players it will be difficult for Truro to go further but does that mean they should not attempt to go further...

let,s be honest its not Truro or there fans it heaney and his morals

My point exactly. For me no other reason.

Should MODERATORS be condoning those attacking anyones morals?

These are supposed to be football threads not politics.

They might be good morals like Nemesis'sssss. No one has said they are bad. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure many of the them know that football exists elsewhere anyway

A rather silly and childish comment Dave. The evidence actually shows that Truro supporters are much more likely to 'realise that football exists elsewhere' than many football supporters in Cornwall who, like yourself, are very insular!

Not sure why Nemesis should state that Truro aren't in "The Conference". A visit to the Blue Square Bet Conference website would reveal that, in fact, they are. And yes, today's League 2 is equivalent to the old Div 4 (may it rest in peace), the Conference provides an equivalent "Div 5 and Divs 6 North and South" (remember the old Divs 3 North and South?).

As for band-waggoning fans, naturally as a team moves further up the pyramid it attracts more spectators. This would happen at Newquay. I believe that Falmouth and Saltash, in their Western League days, averaged slightly better gates than in the old SWL. I might be wrong. If Plymouth ever return to "The Championship" they will attract bigger crowds. You shouldn't criticise either the benefitting club or the interested football fans. If you like football you will go and watch either your town club or the best team around. If Newquay acquired a sugar-daddy and rose to the Conference South they would expect far bigger gates than they get now. Why did the old Junior leagues attract one man and his dog (Doh! Not literally!)?

Truro City have lost the plot as a Club which is a massive shame for football in Cornwall generally as its lack of sensible management (board, not team: that Lee Hodges appears to be an excellent man) will lead to the club becoming so dysfunctional that it will destroy itself. It needs a replacement sugar-daddy who knows something about running a football club.

Sorry to read that at Newquay no money goes to the football from the clubhouse. What's the clubhouse for, then, in addition to providing fans and officials with a watering hole? If you go up the pyramid expenses will increase and the clubhouse is an obvious source of cash. Odd arrangement, Mount Wise.

I'm not sure many of the them know that football exists elsewhere anyway

A rather silly and childish comment Dave. The evidence actually shows that Truro supporters are much more likely to 'realise that football exists elsewhere' than many football supporters in Cornwall who, like yourself, are very insular!

I don't consider it at all silly or childish. If you read the Tiger Talk forum it is relatively fair to suggest that most of the Truro City supporters aren't aware of too much happening in the SWPL and below, and considering only a very small number of them travel to Truro's Conference team's away games - where are they on every other Saturday?

And as for me being insular, I admit my preference is to follow Cornish football, and I'm proud to say that (at all levels), but having said that I've probably already knocked up more miles in a month than most will all season! And although I might be insular, at least I'm not blinkered :clapper: