Cornwall Football Forum

Wendron withdraw from League immediately!

Here's a copy of the League Statement from the SWPL site regarding Wendron United AFC : The Officers of the South West Peninsula League were saddened to be informed today that Wendron United AFC have given notice of their withdrawal from the league with immediate effect.

The matches played by Wendron United will, as per league rules, be declared null and void. The league secretary will issue, later this week, re-scheduled fixtures including changes to the Easter Ground-Hop schedule. In addition other facts & figures will be amended in due course.

The board at this Thursdays November meeting, will discuss what penalties will be imposed, and only when these have been fully resolved will the registered players of Wendron United be free to register for other clubs in the Competition. No further statement will be issued until after the board meeting.

:(

Guest Peppermint

Very sad for the Club but I was at Underlane on Saturday and it was something that was on the cards - in all honesty if Newquay had taken their chances it could have been 20. The home players to their credit never stop trying for the whole ninety minutes.

I hope that Wendron can one day get back into the CSWPL but that appears a long way off - good luck to Wendron in the future.

Will that now be the Wendron Combination side that travel to Liskeard in the Cornwall Senior cup?

At what level will Wendron continue in Cornish football?

Previous SWPL wthdrawals

All 2008-09

Goonhavern Athletic withdrew from SWPL(1W) at the start of the season and now play two steps lower in the Mining League Div.1.

Buckfastleigh Rangers SWPL(1E) withdrew mid season and now play 3 steps lower in the South Devon League Div.2

Newton Abbot SWPL(P) were expelled in mid season for not fufilling fixtures and appear to be defunct.

Does this mean no relegation from the SWPL Div 1 West again this season?

Oppertunity for the top team in the Combo for promotion. Looking as if it will be either Illogan or my tip for the league, Helston. Do they want to go up?

Or perhaps another team from across the border can fill the ranks. Could mean Portreath are safe at the bottom of the Combo if one club is promoted off the top.

No chance we pulled out of league because of a player moving clubs, the reason for doing so is an internal one and shall stay that way. All I can say is that i'm gutted we are withdrawing from the league but even though we were getting beat every game, as pepermint said we never gave up and still enjoyed it up until the last game. Some the results were injust reflecting our inexperiance at this level but of course it was allways going 2 be hard 2 replace a whole 1st team with youngsters who had no or little experiance at this level,we gave it our best shot but this is way it is now and we must now make the best of it we can. People from outside the club can make of it want they want but 2 say things like the team pulled out of the league because certain players left is insulting and has no ounce of truth in it.

I was a senior player for Wendron, at the ripe old age of 21 I was one of the veterans in squad and am at Wendron for my 17th season having played for them at every level. It is a sad day for the club and I would like to have my say.

Firstly I would like to thank the previous posts, most of them have been of support for the club, so thanks. And I would like to thank the teams we have played this season, thanks for putting up with us, and I feel some of the results have not reflected our performances.

As for dropping out of the league, players leaving this season was not the cause of this, players leaving the previous season was the main reason. And for Adam Keenan been our best player, with all due respect to him as he is a friend of mine, I think its fair to say that he was not our best player. The club has many hot prospects, but maybe that was the problem this season; not enough experience to help these prospects, and hopefully given a few years these players will succeed at this level and hopefully it will be with Wendron United FC.

I'm afraid no one will be snapping up Guy Mills as he is on a scouting trip in New Zealand.

Lastly I would like to thank Kev Williamson and Peter Thorne for all the hard work they have put in this season trying to make the club a succesful one, they havent got what they deserved; and on behalf of all the first team playing staff I would like to say a huge thank you for your efforts and sorry not to have been able to pick up any points this season.

The players did not wish to withdraw from the league and wanted to see the season out, however on reflection it will probably be better for the club to drop down a level, get some confidence back and win some games!

It was a great honour for me to captain the side on Saturday, and hopefully I will get the oppurtunity to captain, but more importantly play for Wendron and for the club to be a success in the future at South Western level.

There are some promising players at the 'Dron, and expect them to be a success in the future.

Thanks again and best of luck to all the teams in the league.

Josh McDonald

Josh well said mate and it's a huge shame for a big club like Wendron but i believe it is the right one but the decision should have been made sooner so our combo team could have made a stronger challenge on the league.

Hope the players stay and and the club can benefit from this decision and move on :) .

to be honest i never expected wendron to pull out this season-i was expecting next, either way, a very sad day to see such a great club pull out

i enjoyed my time there and hope they will be back in the division soon

good luck josh

see you in the combo mate :thumbsup:

Sorry to put a damper on things guys, but I think we're a little off the mark when Wendron are being described as a "big" club.

Yes, they have done, and will no doubt continue to do good things when it comes to the number of different age group teams coming out of the club every weekend, but to call the club "big" is, I feel, a little off the mark.

They had barely established themselves at Senior level, only joining the Combo League 11 seasons ago before taking the plunge to try their hand at a further higher level, that is the South West Peninsula League. And as you can see from the below statistics, in their time in the JCCL, it wasn't always easy. But they no doubt felt that it was going to be easier for them to get in the SWPL as the League was forming and inviting clubs, rather than attempt to get in there via promotion. I'm not questioning whether it was the right choice for the club, but it was always going to be considered a brave one.

It doesn't matter how good the facilities are; how many pitches the club owns; how good the surface is etc, etc, the club needed to get a blend of established Senior players to compliment the young talent coming through the club. And this proved hard.

I don't know what happened to the likes of Steve Webber and Gary Pascoe over recent times, but no matter how much the present incumbent do for the club, to be a Senior club, you have to have the people thinking Senior, and they can surely only do this by having the personnel that have the experience at Senior level.

No, fair enough for past and present players of the club to call it "great", but "big", don't know about that!

1998-99 CORN C 38 14 5 19 75 74 47 12/20

1999-00 CORN C 38 7 6 25 62 110 27 18/20

2000-01 CORN C 38 10 5 23 60 95 35 17/20

2001-02 CORN C 38 4 6 28 39 110 18 20/20

2002-03 CORN C 38 17 5 16 72 72 56 11/20

2003-04 CORN C 38 21 7 10 104 53 67 * 8/20

2004-05 CORN C 38 12 9 17 86 89 45 15/20

2005-06 CORN C 37 20 7 10 86 55 64 * 6/20

2006-07 CORN C 36 16 7 13 72 58 54 * 8/19

2007-08 SWP-1W 30 8 7 15 43 63 31 13/16

2008-09 SWP-1W 32 5 5 22 31 97 20 16/17

i think the term 'big' does describe the club. maybe the club isnt a 'giant' or massively successful, but when you look at the club's facilities; more importantly the youth system and the players the youth system has produced it would be suitable to call the club 'big' as you choose to put it.

I think football in Cornwall has much to thank Wendron for after some of the players it has produced in recent times.

Guest Peppermint

What a fantastic and dignified response from Rob and Josh Dron - the Club is very good hands if people like that are involved. It would have been all too easy to come on the Forum and make statements that would do the Club no good at all but these young men have done the Club proud. Hopefully they and their team mates can enjoy some success in the Combination League and I am sure everyone at Newquay would like to join me in wishing Wendron the best of luck for the future.

One last thing to mention about Saturday's match and that was as previously stated - not one Wendron player's head dropped and they kept going to the end but also not one home player resorted to a bad tackle that sometimes happens when a team is being beaten by a big margin.

Just goes to show that no matter what hard work goes on behind the scenes, if you are not paying your players some sort of monies then you just are not going to survive at SWPL level. Other local teams that pay no matter what level have the upper hand to steal your better players. :SM_carton:

First the ladies team call it a day and now the senior men. Does that mean the club has to pay back all that lovely grant given to them to build up their cracking facilitities.

Guest Peppermint

A little unfair ECPL - talk about kicking a club when it is down!

As Dave Deacon states Wendron still runs a lot of teams including I think a large number of junior teams - the Festival they run every year is certainly one to be proud of.

It is a pity that the Officers felt it necessary to withdraw their 1st eleven from the Peninsula League half way through the season, but sometimes you have to take 2 steps back to go one step forward. It should be pointed out that they still remain the 'Combo', the Falmouth/Helston and the Mineing League and they run their youth section from U9 to U18 year age groups. Maybe to take on membership of the Peninsula League was a step to far, particularly with them being a tad remote geographically. In Peter Thorne and his officers the club is still in good hands i am sure the club will be stronger long term for the decision arrived at this week. :c:

Monty,

i agree with you that clubs who pay players are at a very big advantage over the smaller clubs who dont pay and that it will more than likely be those teams who pay that are fighting it out come the shake up at the end of the season. But it is possible to be competitive without a player budget. At Godolphin we have never paid our players but have managed to progress through the leagues and are now holding our own in SWP divison 1.

I know the difficulties faced by a "small Club" (got to agree with Dave on this one) like Wendron first hand. We are a small Club with Newquay close to us who are a bigger Club with a huge advantage over us in terms of attracting and retaining players due to their decent player budget and the fact that they are a more prestigious club. But we have still managed to make the most of the situation and remain very competitive and ambitious for the future.

I think the Wendron players deserve great credit for never giving up fighting even though they were on the end of big defeats week in week out. Good luck to Wendron and all their players for the future.

i think the term 'big' does describe the club. maybe the club isnt a 'giant' or massively successful, but when you look at the club's facilities; more importantly the youth system and the players the youth system has produced it would be suitable to call the club 'big' as you choose to put it.

I think football in Cornwall has much to thank Wendron for after some of the players it has produced in recent times.

I will probably get slated for this,but didn't Wendron receive a lot of lottery monies and F.A. monies to help make them BIG. :ninja:

Surely that depends on how you define a big club?

You can look at it two ways, a club that wins trophies and is successful with perhaps a poor infrastructure or a club that might never challenge for trophies but has an excellent infrastructure and youth system in place that has and still is producing players for these so called bigger clubs who pay players. At this level of football to define a club as big in the way you describe holds little relevence, Cornwall has never really had (to my knowledge) a team in the football league which is perhaps a better definition of a big club, only recently has the standard of football been approaching that, with truro for example.

As far as the lottery and f.a money goes both organisations are commited to improving grass roots football, so surely an investment in a team that produces a lot of young players makes the most sense. A lot of that money was invested into the youth sector of the club to provide the quality facilities that are now on display and not as some people speculate into the senior team. Hope that helps :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Gutted to hear the news the club has made the decision to drop out of the league especially after all the hard work on and off the pitch to get in the league (yes the season Wendron went up they finished approx 6th but had a depleted squad due to injuries that season until the end when they won 9 of last 10 only to lose to mousehole).

The club has produced a lot of great players through the youth structureand will continue to do so. Players like James Miller, Toby Clarke, Jonny Ludlam, Liam Eddy, Mike O' Niell, Mike Davies are amongst players currently playing SWPL who played fo Wendron youth teams. Could possibly be more. Hopefully the choice doesnt affect these youngsters.

The first team has always had a fairly young average out as it is not afraid to play youngsters but it appears this season was one step to far.

Is there any other management changes?? Who is now managing JCCL squad??

As far as the lottery and f.a money goes both organisations are commited to improving grass roots football, so surely an investment in a team that produces a lot of young players makes the most sense. A lot of that money was invested into the youth sector of the club to provide the quality facilities that are now on display and not as some people speculate into the senior team.

Probably not the best time to or the right forum to raise this but in terms of the above comment made I have to strongly disagree! As far as I am aware the junior and youth sections do have use of the changing facilities but at a cost as they contribute to the mortgage on the building.

In terms of other benefits?????

The main thing the junior teams have got is a headache as the facilities are inadequate for the current numbers. Only this weekend games were cancelled due to lack of playing space for children! When you consider the area taken up by 2 senior pitches and a cricket field it raises the question of was the funding used wisely as I dont recall many games being played in the changing rooms...Although they do look good.

It doesnt help when senior teams are warming up on the mini-soccer pitch in poor conditions either. Jack the groundsman works tirelessly up at Wendron and the pitches are a credit to him but to say that the FA grants were used to enhance the youth sector facilities is way of the mark, all monies are raised from parents paying annual fees and the mini soccer in particular (by definition the 1st tier of grass roots) is treated as the poor relation at Wendron. I only have experience of the mini-soccer (for the past 4 years at current under 10, 9, 8,7 and younger) so cannot comment on the older teams but I am losing players at an alarming rate because we cannot offer a regular weekly training session in the same place due to ruined mini-soccer pitches and not being allowed to use the adult pitches. We had to resort to getting 9 year old kids to try and play a match on a 45 degree slope this weekend which is not an advert for invesment in grass roots as far as I am concerned.

Im afraid to say that trying to have too much too soon may be the cause of the current plight rather than as suggested players being paid etc. I hope the situation does work out and especially for the players tied up in the admin process and for Peter Thorne who again has always tried to do his best for the club.

I was merely stating that the money had been invested into the youth facilities in terms of the changing rooms. As far as i am aware having 4 top quality mini soccer changing rooms is a lot better then the old elliot hut, which was horrible at the best of times having experianced both at first hand. Not sure where the comments on the playing surfaces come from as i made no relation to them but i know that we are now training on a 3g pitch so that may solve some of those issues you pinpointed. The youth section of the club is just as important as the senior and the attitude should not be an us and them, as the changing facilities are avaliable for both sections of the club, therefore the costs should also be shared. :D

Totally agree with you there Rob, we nedd to get back to Wendron being a club as a whole, not individual sections. After a quick count up, I can only get 26 former youth players who are now playing Peninsula football elsewhere, not the 30 as earlier estimated, although there are a large number playing in the Combination league, some for succesful teams at present

Rob, the comment surrounding the pitches is in relation to the term facilities meaning playing facilities not just changing facilities.

I undrstand where you are coming from but if you look at the new club house, it has a senior pitch in front of it, a senior pitch at the rear. The mini soccer area is almost unplayable for a number of reasons so the youth teams use the top pitches.

Can you really see kids of 9, 10 and 11 getting kitted up in the main changing rooms and then walking the length of the club, across a lane and over 2/3 fields to play a match? Most get changed in their parents cars and therefore do not use the changing rooms.

I am not trying to get a rise from you or anybody else, I am just saying that the investment in the changing rooms does not give Wendron the status of a big club with a fantastic youth policy. It is a crying shame for any team to have to drop out of their respective league and as stated I just hope the players get to play again soon and that Peter Thorne keeps going in his determined way.

I am not trying to slag the club off just offering a different opinion.

One thing that concerns me now is how many 1st team players will drop straight into the Combo team and where will those in the 2nd team get a game bearing in mind their other teams are all in JUNIOR football and therefore cannot reinstate a whole team at one time .

Not sure if it is 3 or 4 players at a time but how many are going to stay at the club if they cannot play for 3-4 months ???

One thing that concerns me now is how many 1st team players will drop straight into the Combo team and where will those in the 2nd team get a game bearing in mind their other teams are all in JUNIOR football and therefore cannot reinstate a whole team at one time .

Not sure if it is 3 or 4 players at a time but how many are going to stay at the club if they cannot play for 3-4 months ???

Reinstatement can only occur for 2 players who then must play 5 games for that side allowing the player to gain junior status (it's a crap rule and will cost the club £6 per player). Wendron in effect can drop 6 players to their 3 junior sides (2 per team) however i'm sure most of them would rather fight for their place and play combination.

As a long time former Wendron player I also feel obliged to write on this topic.

Having been away for the past month, I was extremely disappointed but not surprised to see the Wendron had dropped out from the league. A change in fortunes this season seemed unlikely and in the short term, the withdrawal from the league is probably the best of a bad bunch of options.

I would like to say that we were (Plymstock) the first team to face Wendron this season at Underlane and although the team lacked a little in a footballing capacity, it made up for it in determination and desire to play. Had it not been for a wonder first goal, the game may have ended slightly differently. I'm certain with the right direction and a few older heads, the club can and will turn it round in the future. (Hopefully sooner rather than later!)

In response to a few other comments made on the club previously:

Dave, I agree with you that Wendron are not a "Big" club in terms of trophy successes in Senior Football, and if that is the only factor that determines a "Big" club then it may be a long time before they do given the club player policy. However, it is unarguably a "Great" club that continues to produce good footballers through every youth age group and up to Senior level. The facilities match that of a club that needs to be going places and hopefully the realisation of what has happened this season is the catalyst to start a new era for the club.

Ian Mc, I can understand your opinion on the mini-soccer pitches but have to disagree that money was not spent to improve the youth sectors. The money has to be looked at on the whole, and the implementation of 4 mini-soccer changing rooms within the new changing block as mentioned by "Rob" is a big step from the Elliot Huts in giving the club a more professional feel. Also the improvement of the senior pitches should not just be looked on as beneficial for the 1st and 2nd team. If they are available, the pitches are used by youth teams on a Sunday and that will eventually be the mini-soccer teams you are involved with. The facilities attract players at youth level and also inspire a few already at the club to improve so as to use them. The improvements also allow the ground to be used as a neutral venue for many competitions which directly brings funds back into the club as a whole.

Varks and Whits, hope your well, I think you have even underestimated the amount of players that have been produced or represented the club at youth level that now currently play Senior football. I'm up to 32 and still counting!

On behalf of myself and i'm sure all at Plymstock United, I wish the club all the best for the future whatever way events are taken forward.

Mike O'Neill

The thing that disappoints me about all of this is that a club can withdraw in the middle of the season just because of some poor results. Other local clubs such as Portreath currently and Ludgvan in previous years and many junior clubs have stuck at it. I have played in teams going virtually the whole season without a win, taking hammering after hammering, but completed all fixtures. Surely the the time to take stock of things is at the end of the season, not letting down countless numbers of teams and officials of the league. If the decision taken now was for financial reasons (ie the club on the verge of going under) then fair enough. I feel it is a very amateurish decision taken in a league bordering on semi-professional.

Footie nut,

It does dissapoint me too, but the club will be punished in the correct way for this and although money spent by other clubs to make the trip to, or to host Wendron will not be recovered, these things happen in lower league football and the old saying "deal with it" springs to mind.

Wendron have been on the receiving end of many a team withdrawing from leagues and not fulfulling fixtures as recent as last season and for this reason what goes around comes around. Not that Wendron had any intention of pulling out, it was a command decision to do so and this must be respected.

The club will recouperate and move forward i'm sure, and once again become a club worth talking about in a footballing sense

Mike

Fair enough comment and, I too hope Wendron find their competitive level soon. However, I don't recall too may sides in senior football pulling out mid-season and certainly not because they are taking a few hammerings. Incidentally, I don't need to "deal with it" as I am not connected with any club, merely commenting as a local football fan.

Fair enough comment and, I too hope Wendron find their competitive level soon. However, I don't recall too may sides in senior football pulling out mid-season and certainly not because they are taking a few hammerings. Incidentally, I don't need to "deal with it" as I am not connected with any club, merely commenting as a local football fan.

Having seen the 'Ground Hops' in previous years, Wendron may regret pulling out of the league this early when they see the other clubs at Easter get crowds of 400+, more than they would normally attract in a whole season.

The would have made made £1,200+ from admission, then the sale of programmes, badges, food and drink etc. In effect, they have lost out twice, once from any fine the league impose and again from not staging the 'ground hop' game.

I know that many 'hoppers' are disappointed that they will not take in the ground on the Easter Hop, some may use holidays to see the ground in a Combination League game, but it won't be the same. By the way, Do Wendron do badges ?

Mikey - Hows it going pal?? Their are plenty of players playing senior I was thinking more on the lines of playing pensinsula as that what is the standard they were in or is that what you was doing. Throw Adam Toy, Si Will and Bushy into the mix as well.

Are you home for christmas?? If so have to catch up for a beer.