Hayle v Troon

Ludgvan v St. Agnes

Mawnan v West Cornwall - Being played at Falmouth School 3G, kick-off 2.30pm

St. Day v St. Ives Town

Threemilestone v Wendron United

EVELY CUP

Perranwell Reserves v Praze - Kick-off 2.00pm

St Columb Major 0 Boscastle 2

Dusted the boots off today and really enjoyed playing for my hometown club rolling back the years. As for the game, a much better improved performance from the lads. We had moments where we were knocking it about and creating a few chances but couldn’t find the breakthrough. Boscastle did take the lead with a penalty in the 1st half, but we didn’t give up. 2nd half we carried on battling well but couldn’t get the leveller. The 2nd for Boscastle was an absolute screamer and nothing we could have done about that sadly. We will keep fighting and results will come if we show fight and desire like that every game 👍🏼

Mawnan 2 West Cornwall 1

A really well contested first half with few real chances. West Cornwall scored 5 minutes before halftime with a cracking free kick from 25 yards past the keepers despairing dive. Mawnan had a real talking to at half time and came out fired up, equalising within a minute of the restart. They continued to create the better chances and deserved their winner with a dribbling run down the right wing and a low finish into the far corner. 

PREMIER WEST DIV

ST.JUST 2-0 PERRANWELL

Pretty atrocious conditions to play footy in, lashing down all game, but worse than that bout 70mph wind! Well done to the 50 odd brave souls in attendance! Great to see old mates, referee Neil Rudkin who had a great game allowing for the conditions and tackles, that old adage about ex players making better refs? Rudders just knows the game which definitely helps. Neil Curnow still class, playing at the back these days alongside brother Chris at left back solid as a rock for St.Just. 

The hosts won the toss and went with the gale force storm Kathleen is it!? I said to the wife I’d take 0-1 or 0-2 half time in these conditions! As it transpired Perranwell played some excellent football against it on the deck and opened the Tinners up at least half a dozen times in the half! I thought they’d struggle to get out their own half! Adam Selley, Dan Precup, Kanye Trevaskis and Dave Standing all unlucky with half chances to put the Well ahead. At the other end the hosts were a threat as well seeing a couple dangerous set pieces kicked off the line and Reesy carrying on his great form from last week in goal saving down low a few times with shots on target. 

Looked at my watch after 39 minutes and thought how good would 0-0 be going in at half time with these elements!! Cue a 41st minute strike from 25 yards heading for the safe hands of Reesy before taking a massive deflection and going straight in the bottom corner and on 45+1 the ball bounced and bobbled its way to the far post with defenders and attackers slipping and sliding around and was tucked away well into the corner of the net. Apologise for lack of names etc, ain’t getting a notepad out in this weather!!! 

Perran had the ball in the net early in the 2nd half but Rudders spotted a nudge on the keeper in the build up and he was probably right to be fair by protected species standards!  More rotten luck which has been a theme for the Well  last 3 games I’ve seen, on the hour losing defender Sam Fisher with what looked like a hamstring injury, who was having a great game. The Tinners always looking dangerous with their quick breaks, the weather getting worse as the final whistle approached with Perranwell pushing and prompting for at least a deserved goal their efforts on the day merited, fantastic save from the home keeper at full stretch with about 10 to go beating away a wind assisted screamer from Adam Casey destined for the top corner.

Credit to all the players for making it a really enjoyable watchable game with plenty of good slick football from both sides on a difficult pitch and a joke wind!!! Helped by some consistent refereeing from Mr Neil Rudkin 👏🏼

1 hour ago, RAPPO said:

PREMIER WEST DIV

ST.JUST 2-0 PERRANWELL

Pretty atrocious conditions to play footy in, lashing down all game, but worse than that bout 70mph wind! Well done to the 50 odd brave souls in attendance! Great to see old mates, referee Neil Rudkin who had a great game allowing for the conditions and tackles, that old adage about ex players making better refs? Rudders just knows the game which definitely helps. Neil Curnow still class, playing at the back these days alongside brother Chris at left back solid as a rock for St.Just. 

The hosts won the toss and went with the gale force storm Kathleen is it!? I said to the wife I’d take 0-1 or 0-2 half time in these conditions! As it transpired Perranwell played some excellent football against it on the deck and opened the Tinners up at least half a dozen times in the half! I thought they’d struggle to get out their own half! Adam Selley, Dan Precup, Kanye Trevaskis and Dave Standing all unlucky with half chances to put the Well ahead. At the other end the hosts were a threat as well seeing a couple dangerous set pieces kicked off the line and Reesy carrying on his great form from last week in goal saving down low a few times with shots on target. 

Looked at my watch after 39 minutes and thought how good would 0-0 be going in at half time with these elements!! Cue a 41st minute strike from 25 yards heading for the safe hands of Reesy before taking a massive deflection and going straight in the bottom corner and on 45+1 the ball bounced and bobbled its way to the far post with defenders and attackers slipping and sliding around and was tucked away well into the corner of the net. Apologise for lack of names etc, ain’t getting a notepad out in this weather!!! 

Perran had the ball in the net early in the 2nd half but Rudders spotted a nudge on the keeper in the build up and he was probably right to be fair by protected species standards!  More rotten luck which has been a theme for the Well  last 3 games I’ve seen, on the hour losing defender Sam Fisher with what looked like a hamstring injury, who was having a great game. The Tinners always looking dangerous with their quick breaks, the weather getting worse as the final whistle approached with Perranwell pushing and prompting for at least a deserved goal their efforts on the day merited, fantastic save from the home keeper at full stretch with about 10 to go beating away a wind assisted screamer from Adam Casey destined for the top corner.

Credit to all the players for making it a really enjoyable watchable game with plenty of good slick football from both sides on a difficult pitch and a joke wind!!! Helped by some consistent refereeing from Mr Neil Rudkin 👏🏼

Great report mate 

On 06/04/2024 at 20:51, RAPPO said:

PREMIER WEST DIV

ST.JUST 2-0 PERRANWELL

Great report, Rappo, wish I'd been there. Nice to see a Fisher playing for the Well like in the old days. Bet he's about 7 foot 2 ! His grandad saved a 40 yarder on the wind from me once. I was only playing because there was no sub and trying to boot the ball away before I got kicked. I understand the scorers for St Just were Pickles and Bald Eagle. Why aren't you playing ? Bet you've got more pace than Dom Pullen and sufficient solidity not to be blown over by the St Just gale !

Haha hope you’re well Rod! Always enjoy a visit to Lafrowda Park mate, even in those conditions! Had some good times down there, and bad ones to be fair, always a tough game assured!! Credit to both teams really, how they produced a decent match in that weather I’ll never know!! Heard Dave was a good keeper in his day! I know from experience he was a great manager! Good to see my old team mate Simon carrying on in his footsteps in the dugout and young Sam gets better every time I watch him, certainly another fine Fisher defender with a great future and yeah he’s pretty tall as expected! Unfortunately I’m 56 with knackered knees these days Rod but still enjoy watching Ben and Eloise play with Jack working in Dubai for 2 years! Yeah Bald Eagle 🦅 looked pretty sharp on Saturday and deserved his goal Rod! Neil still quality mate, nice to see him still playing, what a great player in his prime he was 👏🏼👍️ All the best Rod, might catch you next time 👍

Some of the players you mentioned there Rappo were playing 25 years ago!!  Does that say something about the ages of players now?  I’ve noticed that there are lots of youngsters playing 16-19 years and then lots of players 35 plus, not a great deal in between. Has it always been like this or was the “back in the day” more between 25-35.  

Agree with that to be honest Daz, I’ve noticed a lot of youngsters and very experienced, even vets players playing in teams these days in the various St.Piran league divisions. I think I’ve noticed maybe SWPL and western leagues have more players in their primes sort of 25-33 type age group understandably perhaps considering it’s a better level of football but nowhere near as “back in the day” for sure where the odd young talented player like Gossy might get in a top side but certainly hardly anyone over 35 did from what I remember mate?