Cornwall Football Forum

St Blazey v Helston Athletic.

Paul

27 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

How bad was the elbow. ? 

Very ! Even Gilers  elbow was Bandaged  !! The Helston lad went away to be checked out in the Hospital I believe

Good battle that was  !! Helston deserved the win but lots of play acting going on as per usual from them. Kyle Moore was exceptional all night. Helston had to withstand a lot of pressure at times. The crowd looked big on a lovely clear but slightly chilly evening.

The sending off was the difference tonight I thought

The crowd was at detriment to all the transient fans between Sticker & St Austell watching their own tonight, coupled with the Fowey carnival. Not sure what the final numbers were but still a few at Blaise Park and I think the visitors may have been surprised by what they came up against tonight. 

St Blazey had the best of the chances in the first half and were all over Helston in spells who actually created very little, in the first 45. Helston’s lack of creativity sadly matched by St Blazey’s lack of composure in converting some clear cut chances that could easily have seen the home side 2-0 up at the very least at half time. 

Playing the financial might of Helston with 11 players is tough enough but going down to 10 after the Giles sending off changed the game or at least you would have thought so. Jordan Pearce talking himself into a sin bin during the incident saw Blazey for 5 mins before half time and 5 mins after, down to 9 men and I have to say the work that the St Blazey lads had to get through on such a big pitch was admirable as Helston in this space were as you can imagine, starting to move the ball around, although without really putting any mad pressure on.

The last 20 were always going to be backs against the wall but Helston made it pay after a very good wide angled finish found the net after an error by Shaun Semmens in the St Blazey goal. Fine margins, who would be a keeper; tough gig. He did well moments later with a very strong hand towards the death to prevent a second for Helston who in the last quarter were dominating possession in and around the St Blazey box.

A draw would not have been an unfair result for St Blazey as the leagues newcomers and despite a really tough start against Shepton, Falmouth, Barnstaple and now Helston, I think they/we have given a good account of ourselves so far. Another tough one on Saturday as we continue to use each game as a measuring stick, but overall despite only grabbing 2 points from their opening 4 games, the Club and its fans are proud of the lads as they try to find their feet at this higher level. 

(Can this thread be moved to the correct section of the forum?)

All the predictions before the game were for Helston to turn up and give St Blazey a hammering. That was certainly not the case. St Blazey created some unbelievable chances. Another day we score them and go on to win. Despite being a man short, two for a while, the players put in some shift and Helston looked liked they'd run out of ideas. One moment won them the three points. A really good match though, two teams giving it everything and a really good evenings football for the 175 watching. 

Mousehole at home on Saturday. Another tasty looking cup tie for St Blazey. 

11 hours ago, D K said:

The crowd was at detriment to all the transient fans between Sticker & St Austell watching their own tonight, coupled with the Fowey carnival. Not sure what the final numbers were but still a few at Blaise Park and I think the visitors may have been surprised by what they came up against tonight. 

St Blazey had the best of the chances in the first half and were all over Helston in spells who actually created very little, in the first 45. Helston’s lack of creativity sadly matched by St Blazey’s lack of composure in converting some clear cut chances that could easily have seen the home side 2-0 up at the very least at half time. 

Playing the financial might of Helston with 11 players is tough enough but going down to 10 after the Giles sending off changed the game or at least you would have thought so. Jordan Pearce talking himself into a sin bin during the incident saw Blazey for 5 mins before half time and 5 mins after, down to 9 men and I have to say the work that the St Blazey lads had to get through on such a big pitch was admirable as Helston in this space were as you can imagine, starting to move the ball around, although without really putting any mad pressure on.

The last 20 were always going to be backs against the wall but Helston made it pay after a very good wide angled finish found the net after an error by Shaun Semmens in the St Blazey goal. Fine margins, who would be a keeper; tough gig. He did well moments later with a very strong hand towards the death to prevent a second for Helston who in the last quarter were dominating possession in and around the St Blazey box.

A draw would not have been an unfair result for St Blazey as the leagues newcomers and despite a really tough start against Shepton, Falmouth, Barnstaple and now Helston, I think they/we have given a good account of ourselves so far. Another tough one on Saturday as we continue to use each game as a measuring stick, but overall despite only grabbing 2 points from their opening 4 games, the Club and its fans are proud of the lads as they try to find their feet at this higher level. 

Got more red cards than points.

19 hours ago, D K said:

Fair report but another league newcomer are top of the league at the moment!  Going on what a I saw last night Blazey will be comfortable this season 

Best player on the pitch was the Number 11 down the wing ! Some player that