Cornwall Football Forum

Genuine question- how do Cornish teams create extra revenue to attract the “best player”?

- team sponsorship

- player sponsorship

- gate admission

- financial backing

A lot will go into it but we're all the first to jump on here (other media outlets are available) to say what a Clubs budget is or what a player is on. You won't get Clubs outwardly throw their figure around, nor do I think you'll find players being overly truthful with what they get (and why should they?)

In business when you move roles, you'll often ask for more or inflate what you're currently on. If player X is approached, he may say "well I'm on £50 at Club Y, to move I'd like £20 more" when in fact he's on £30. Club Y may even bring the player in for that. First 2 games on the bench, then cut that back... There's no contracts at Step 6 so there's no obligation to give anything (heard it happen).

The merry-go-round of players happens each close season, some will move on quickly when they realise they're not getting what's promised.

I would imagine the lowest wage is £20 expenses, and the best paid players around £60-80 a game. I think players are more than entitled to expenses and the commitment they put in is around the minimum wage 

it would seem a good fundraiser within a club could become the most important role at an SWPL club these days!! Some clubs clearly doing a very good job, whilst others are lagging behind 

7 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Although some would say it's a hobby, why give them anything!

A hobby is something that is done in your spare time for pleasure. Playing sport at any decent level certainly impinges upon ones free time. 

Average Western/SWPL player 

has already probably spent over 15 years as a child playing the game, training, buying kit, travelling whilst playing for nothing. 

travels around 30 minutes to and from training each week, trains for an hour. 2 hour commitment. 

Has the experience of working all day, travelling anywhere up to an hour for a game, needs to arrive an hour and a half before the game, play the game for two hours, stay around out of courtesy for 30 minutes afterwards, travel an hour home. 4/5 hour commitment even for a home game

Potentially 2 games a week with the same again on a Saturday through the months of August, September and October. Some horrendous journeys to Mullion/Mousehole midweek

Pick up at least one injury a year that involves pain, hiding from the boss on the building site, miss the odd days or two at work here and there. Pay physio out of your own pocket. God forbid you pick up a serious injury that stops you paying your mortgage/supporting dependants

leads a semi restricted social life through missing events/holidays, altered diet and potentially going to the gym commitments (I’d imagine most lads have a gym membership)

Turn down a private trade job on a Saturday where you could make £100 for a few hours work cash in hand. 

No player plays in these leagues for money. To subsidise their travel and give them a few pounds a week to buy a lucozade after the game is nothing considering clubs are charging into the ground/sponsored. 

People then put forward the but the volunteers don’t get paid.The very point of a volunteer is that it is philanthropic. You can’t take all the praise then complain 😂

Those people have a natural connection to THEIR local club (lots of players not playing for their home town club), chose to do it (normally offering something they enjoy doing) and are normally in the fortunate position to have the free time/or financial stability to do so, and in reality they can be there or not if pressed, unlike a player. 

Football is great and brings so many benefits (hence my involvement in the game as a player, coach and manager for over 40 years), but when people complain about players being subsidised on average £2/3 (considering the current financial climate/housing crisis in the dutchy) an hour it becomes ridiculous. 

49 minutes ago, Chunkycheese said:

A hobby is something that is done in your spare time for pleasure. Playing sport at any decent level certainly impinges upon ones free time. 

has already probably spent over 15 years as a child playing the game, training, buying kit, travelling whilst playing for nothing. 

travels around 30 minutes to and from training each week, trains for an hour. 2 hour commitment. 

Has the experience of working all day, travelling anywhere up to an hour for a game, needs to arrive an hour and a half before the game, play the game for two hours, stay around out of courtesy for 30 minutes afterwards, travel an hour home. 4/5 hour commitment even for a home game

Potentially 2 games a week with the same again on a Saturday through the months of August, September and October. Some horrendous journeys to Mullion/Mousehole midweek

Pick up at least one injury a year that involves pain, hiding from the boss on the building site, miss the odd days or two at work here and there. Pay physio out of your own pocket. God forbid you pick up a serious injury that stops you paying your mortgage/supporting dependants

leads a semi restricted social life through missing events/holidays, altered diet and potentially going to the gym commitments (I’d imagine most lads have a gym membership)

Turn down a private trade job on a Saturday where you could make £100 for a few hours work cash in hand. 

No player plays in these leagues for money. To subsidise their travel and give them a few pounds a week to buy a lucozade after the game is nothing considering clubs are charging into the ground/sponsored. 

People then put forward the but the volunteers don’t get paid.The very point of a volunteer is that it is philanthropic. You can’t take all the praise then complain 😂

Those people have a natural connection to THEIR local club (lots of players not playing for their home town club), chose to do it (normally offering something they enjoy doing) and are normally in the fortunate position to have the free time/or financial stability to do so, and in reality they can be there or not if pressed, unlike a player. 

Football is great and brings so many benefits (hence my involvement in the game as a player, coach and manager for over 40 years), but when people complain about players being subsidised on average £2/3 (considering the current financial climate/housing crisis in the dutchy) an hour it becomes ridiculous. 

You're implying the SWL is still a good level and worthy of some of the reported fees banded about. I'd disagree. Understand all your points though. £10-30s is nothing in the grand scheme and/or some fuel money but £50+ for lads that aren't that good for the Dog and Duck isn't sustainable.

One point you have said isn't talked about enough is the loss of earnings while injured. Not enough players have personal insurance and should be encouraged to do so by their clubs! All clubs and leagues are insured and most leagues have a pot for bad injuries but it wouldn't be anywhere near enough for a long term injury that forces you out of work. 

I think that if a player is local, they can accept a little less in expenses. If a player is travelling large distances (I think there is a fair proportion of players travelling over the Tamar) they deserve a little extra. Not only for fuel, but for the time it takes to get to and fro! The big earners are typically big travellers, or the players in demand that are the difference in winning and losing (with all due respect, I would need paid a lot to play for some of the clubs with poor facilities in the SWPL so there must be something attractive) 

I have been on the football circuit in Cornwall all my life. I am unsure that the standard has dropped. Better pitches, better coaching, rule changes, fitter/faster and more robust players for sure nowadays. Football is generally a duller game nowadays, lacking in individual flair and far more structured and mechanical aka Grealish in a 1v1 situation and decides to pass around instead. 

The fact that so many of our teams are being promoted into the Southern League and Western league obviously means that you of course do not have all the best local players on your doorstop aka the Bodmin Town era (however that’s surely a good thing than wining and not getting promoted) 

I do however believe there is a culture of rose tinted glasses when people look back on players of the past, also an element of self protection by talking down the youth of today. Before you jump on this, go a watch an FA cup final from the period you wish to compare (not the highlights) defenders are merely less talented forwards! 

I recently watched the great Liverpool team of the 80s and couldn’t believe some of the tackles, aimless booting of the ball up pitch and general poor ball control. Totally different game than today. 

1 hour ago, Chunkycheese said:

I think that if a player is local, they can accept a little less in expenses. If a player is travelling large distances (I think there is a fair proportion of players travelling over the Tamar) they deserve a little extra. Not only for fuel, but for the time it takes to get to and fro! The big earners are typically big travellers, or the players in demand that are the difference in winning and losing (with all due respect, I would need paid a lot to play for some of the clubs with poor facilities in the SWPL so there must be something attractive) 

I have been on the football circuit in Cornwall all my life. I am unsure that the standard has dropped. Better pitches, better coaching, rule changes, fitter/faster and more robust players for sure nowadays. Football is generally a duller game nowadays, lacking in individual flair and far more structured and mechanical aka Grealish in a 1v1 situation and decides to pass around instead. 

The fact that so many of our teams are being promoted into the Southern League and Western league obviously means that you of course do not have all the best local players on your doorstop aka the Bodmin Town era (however that’s surely a good thing than wining and not getting promoted) 

I do however believe there is a culture of rose tinted glasses when people look back on players of the past, also an element of self protection by talking down the youth of today. Before you jump on this, go a watch an FA cup final from the period you wish to compare (not the highlights) defenders are merely less talented forwards! 

I recently watched the great Liverpool team of the 80s and couldn’t believe some of the tackles, aimless booting of the ball up pitch and general poor ball control. Totally different game than today. 

It's certainly a different game now. When I first started following the local scene in the late 1970's you had the drinkers, smokers and genuinely unfit individuals but most sides had at least one flair player who could do something off the cuff and create something. The clubhouse was always packed after the game with both teams (and officials) enjoying a pint or three together (heard stories from someone I used to work with who played in the SWL about one or two enjoying a quick half pre match). Nowadays, the fitness levels, preparation and generally looking after themselves is off the scale. Don't think clubs or managers (the more successful ones anyway), tolerate players going out on a Friday night, it's mostly water or energy drinks afterwards , thorough warm ups and warm downs and every club has a trained and qualified physio to hand. The local game is quicker, stronger, highly organised and more tactically aware.

But is it better?  You form your own opinion. To my mind though, if you managed to construct a time machine and arranged a game between the Liskeard Western League, champions of 1988 and Mousehole, Western League champions 2023 (35 years apart), and had a ref applying today's laws in the match, Jake Ash's team would probably overwhelm them.

44 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

To my mind though, if you managed to construct a time machine and arranged a game between the Liskeard Western League, champions of 1988 and Mousehole, Western League champions 2023 (35 years apart), and had a ref applying today's laws in the match, Jake Ash's team would probably overwhelm them.

I'm not saying I'd disagree but if you asked my Dad (at Liskeard at the time) the same question, he'd say that Swiggsy would overwhelm Mousehole himself...

I feel its a very find line with what your calling "expenses" and asking for a "wage".

you've stated that expenses should cover:

• travel
  • time
  • ability

You'd expect travel expenses when driving your own vehicle to work, you would expect to be paid whilst at work, and you would expect to be paid more if you was better than your colleagues.  🤷‍♂️

JW

1 hour ago, L.Gibbons said:

I'm not saying I'd disagree but if you asked my Dad (at Liskeard at the time) the same question, he'd say that Swiggsy would overwhelm Mousehole himself...

The great Bradley Swiggs had the lot, and was a brilliant player in that era, often the only way teams stopped him was by kicking his legs out. Mousehole though employ an analyst who would spend hours studying the way he plays and then working out a way to counter it, this would then be communicated to the players through their Whats App groups and worked on in a training/coaching session. That's the way even the non league game is now. 

Is Richard Gibbons your Dad then? Brilliant player for the Blues, very much an old school centre back who would clear the ball, the man or both!

Remember well an FA Cup v Southern League Prem Dorchester at a rain soaked Lux Park in 1990. Liskeard won 5-1, and Gibbo had their star striker (who they had reputedly paid £4,000 for) in his pocket all the game.

Some great debates and points here. The level to which Mousehole are operating is very impressive. Like you say video analysts, they also all wear the GPS trackers and no doubt have a stringent strength and conditioning regime. Great to see a club so forward thinking 

JW, a wage is defined as “a payment usually of money for labor or services usually according to a contract and on an hourly, daily, or piecework basis” 

if a players expenses covered the price of boots, fuel, the odd physio session and a yearly gym membership and a Diet Pepsi after the game he’d be lucky. No players on contracts. If you said a player committed a modest 15 hours a week to the game they love, many would be on £2/3 pounds an hour which is slave labour 

Perhaps a regional thing, but good footballers in the area are sparse, and teams very well spread out meaning lots of travel. Footballers two a penny in big cities, but they are not having to travel very far for fixtures, and midweek games a rarity, particularly in the winter months. Big cities have Sunday league teams that would fair very well in the SWPL- but they also give significant expenses 

Just seems in the modern era that young players are being lambasted for picking up some pocket money. Surely in the bygone heydays that are revered, when club games in the land had a better attendance players were getting paid too? If not there were a few greedy chairmen 

thank you for engaging in such an interesting topic. 

1 hour ago, Chunkycheese said:

Perhaps a regional thing, but good footballers in the area are sparse, and teams very well spread out meaning lots of travel. Footballers two a penny in big cities, but they are not having to travel very far for fixtures, and midweek games a rarity, particularly in the winter months. Big cities have Sunday league teams that would fair very well in the SWPL- but they also give significant expenses 

Hit the nail on the head there, what players on the Devon & Cornwall scene can command is a pure case of "supply and demand."

I live and work in London, when I get talking to non league football followers where I work, they are astonished at what step 5 and 6 players in the SWPL and WL are allegedly getting as "expenses." One of colleagues is on the commitee of a step 5, Isthmian League club, and she couldn't see how these figures are sustainable (if true).I am pretty sure that one or two step 3 clubs in this area don't pay at all (the players get money for new boots and the like), but there is just a lot bigger pool of players within a city of almost 9 million to choose from.

Absolutely, lots of good players breeds competition.  You could argue that the level of coaching and opportunity in London makes better players too, and the volume of clubs is phenomenal.

There is a really good documentary that shows that 14% of Premier League footballers come from south east London. Mostly from the inner city 5 a side caged 

i would suggest the dutchy also is experiencing a bit of a brain drain with more and more young men travelling, relocating and going to university. This will also impact on the talent pool more than in previous generations. There is also a lot more to do socially for the youths of today 

I do think financial fair play is a long way off, so I think we should enjoy our peculiar, special fantastic league set up that we have! 

2 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

The great Bradley Swiggs had the lot, and was a brilliant player in that era, often the only way teams stopped him was by kicking his legs out. Mousehole though employ an analyst who would spend hours studying the way he plays and then working out a way to counter it, this would then be communicated to the players through their Whats App groups and worked on in a training/coaching session. That's the way even the non league game is now. 

Is Richard Gibbons your Dad then? Brilliant player for the Blues, very much an old school centre back who would clear the ball, the man or both!

Remember well an FA Cup v Southern League Prem Dorchester at a rain soaked Lux Park in 1990. Liskeard won 5-1, and Gibbo had their star striker (who they had reputedly paid £4,000 for) in his pocket all the game.

Yeah, Rich is. You can' have a football conversation with him without him bringing up Brad. "Honestly mate, Brad would do things and we'd just laugh. He'd play all the time and definitely should've been playing much higher. We'd go away with the Civil Service side and there'd be blokes on a load on money in awe of Brad." 

I'll ask him about that game. His memory isn't too bad when he had a good one 😂

9 minutes ago, L.Gibbons said:

Yeah, Rich is. You can' have a football conversation with him without him bringing up Brad. "Honestly mate, Brad would do things and we'd just laugh. He'd play all the time and definitely should've been playing much higher. We'd go away with the Civil Service side and there'd be blokes on a load on money in awe of Brad." 

I'll ask him about that game. His memory isn't too bad when he had a good one 😂

Yes, and apologies for totally straying off the original topic, but Bradley Swiggs should have played professionally.  Remember well Stuart Brace (Liskeard coach) stood on the touchline shouting "give it to Brad!!", he was at times unplayable. In my opinion, the only player who came close to him on the local scene for pure natural ability was Glyn Hobbs ( a very different character, and arguably a wasted talent).

He did of course join Argyle in 1984, but didn't stay long. The rumour at the time was that he would have had to take a drop in wages to turn full time ( he was on a contract at Liskeard, and was also on decent money from his day job in the Dockyard). It was regular theme of a summer that clubs would come in and try to lure him away from Lux Park with lucrative offers ( I was aware that Falmouth had a very strong interest on a couple of occasions) but he stuck with the Blues. Of course, when Saltash did lure him away, the Blues finally won the league without their talisman.

4 hours ago, Way Of The Park said:

Yes, and apologies for totally straying off the original topic, but Bradley Swiggs should have played professionally.  Remember well Stuart Brace (Liskeard coach) stood on the touchline shouting "give it to Brad!!", he was at times unplayable. In my opinion, the only player who came close to him on the local scene for pure natural ability was Glyn Hobbs ( a very different character, and arguably a wasted talent).

He did of course join Argyle in 1984, but didn't stay long. The rumour at the time was that he would have had to take a drop in wages to turn full time ( he was on a contract at Liskeard, and was also on decent money from his day job in the Dockyard). It was regular theme of a summer that clubs would come in and try to lure him away from Lux Park with lucrative offers ( I was aware that Falmouth had a very strong interest on a couple of occasions) but he stuck with the Blues. Of course, when Saltash did lure him away, the Blues finally won the league without their talisman.

Remember the late great Dave Gardener and also the equally talented Dave Leonard both being given the job of following Bradley Swiggs around when Falmouth had to play against him. It was best to just lose a man on him and then try to win battles in other areas. Otherwise Swiggs would just run riot!

My first county senior call up from Graham Roach in the late 80s had 4 strikers in the squad,  Swiggsy,  Steve Massey  and Graham Nicholls!!!!! And me! What an education!!!   I’d been playing County Youth the season before for Morrish Truscott!!  All brilliant strikers and finishers 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👍️  

Give dad my regards Luke, still got a couple scars he kindly passed on to me bout 30 years ago!! 😁👍👊🏼   Centre halves back then by the way!!  Gibbo,  Nige Menhennick,  Toffee Tummons rugby boots,  Mike Honey,  Roy May,  Stevo,  some scary characters about!! Forgot the Appledore Assassins name!?  My mum had the bags of peas and Brussels sprouts out the freezer ready to put on my shins Saturday evenings before I went out!! 😂👍

On 01/08/2023 at 07:04, Chunkycheese said:

So do managers, assistants, coaches, secretaries, etc get paid? All giving up a lot of time and travelling. 

8 hours ago, RAPPO said:

My first county senior call up from Graham Roach in the late 80s had 4 strikers in the squad,  Swiggsy,  Steve Massey  and Graham Nicholls!!!!! And me! What an education!!!   I’d been playing County Youth the season before for Morrish Truscott!!  All brilliant strikers and finishers 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👍️  

Give dad my regards Luke, still got a couple scars he kindly passed on to me bout 30 years ago!! 😁👍👊🏼   Centre halves back then by the way!!  Gibbo,  Nige Menhennick,  Toffee Tummons rugby boots,  Mike Honey,  Roy May,  Stevo,  some scary characters about!! Forgot the Appledore Assassins name!?  My mum had the bags of peas and Brussels sprouts out the freezer ready to put on my shins Saturday evenings before I went out!! 😂👍

"The Appledore Assassin" 😁

Managers coaches most certainly. Many on bigger wages than players (although if they have a good job outside many plunder it back in to boost player wages) 

I would imagine secretaries (and club positions in general) are volunteers at this level. 

Like I said these people are luckily at an age or situation where they can give up their time for THEIR local club and apply their skills that they have learnt through their life. 

indeed many of them see it as a hobby and are more than willing to give up their time. For many they choose to join that club because they want to give something back. 

seems odd to compare a secretary to a player or manager. Players are competing for positions, put their bodies on the line, train outside of time with club, pay for physios, must be there every week. Get dropped, sit on the bench, released when a new younger better player comes along, some not good enough to play for the team they want in their locality 

47 minutes ago, Chunkycheese said:

Managers coaches most certainly. Many on bigger wages than players (although if they have a good job outside many plunder it back in to boost player wages) 

I would imagine secretaries (and club positions in general) are volunteers at this level. 

Like I said these people are luckily at an age or situation where they can give up their time for THEIR local club and apply their skills that they have learnt through their life. 

indeed many of them see it as a hobby and are more than willing to give up their time. For many they choose to join that club because they want to give something back. 

seems odd to compare a secretary to a player or manager. Players are competing for positions, put their bodies on the line, train outside of time with club, pay for physios, must be there every week. Get dropped, sit on the bench, released when a new younger better player comes along, some not good enough to play for the team they want in their locality 

personally I think the only comparison being made, will be the countless man hours being put in with that particular role.

JW

3 hours ago, Chunkycheese said:

So I did motocross for years, travelled miles, countless injuries (involving pain), spent loads on bikes, parts, tyres, a van etc. Held down a full job, bought a house and everything that goes with owning a house. Led a restricted social life. Did I get paid? No I didn't, because it was something I enjoyed doing and was a hobby. No different to somebody playing non league football. 

Good luck to them though if they can pick up a bit of cash for doing a hobby they enjoy doing.

Without knowing the specifics of the role, I am led to believe that it’s quiet admin heavy. I know every club just must have one, and I would doubt they get remunerated. I would imagine however that this person is able to use their skill set to contribute to the club. Perhaps a way of keeping their eye in or active post retirement from an administrative role. I know a lot of former accountants become treasurers etc as it gives them a reminder of the enjoyment they once derived from their career 

very interesting point and massive respect for doing so, however to risk all of that, including potentially life threatening injuries was your choice. Without knowing too much about the motocross scene, there would not been the interest in the sport or infrastructure to support it like football can through generating money through the gate and sponsorship to give out expenses. Football is the national sport. I guess at someone said earlier supply and demand governs a lot of players bargaining positions 

With all due respect, just because you were willing to risk it all for the adrenaline, buzz and acclaim of motor cross doesn’t mean that the football players of Cornwall must do the same 

great point though 

Don't lose sight of the fact that without the input that a club secretary puts in, along with the club volunteers, there would be no football played.
It would be interesting to know what percentage of lower league players put something back in to local football in the form of actual work, as opposed to those whose contribution doesn't go beyond offering their opinion of where and why a player / club are  progressing or not.
It doesn't mean putting cash in to a club for it to survive, what's needed most is the physical help required to ensure its smooth running.

You cant expect the players to help out at the club they been out working all day and if some are in the Western League they got the coach journey on a wet cold midweek fixture could be anywhere but im sure the majority of players would rather be home with there families than stuck on a coach like in the middle of winter People Like Phil Hiscox and other people who do so much to get the fixtures out so we can see our teams in action and all Volunteers across the country need a big thank you from all these good people 

Absolutely- I wouldn’t not begrudge any secretary a small fee for all their work that goes in. I believe the new fa online system has made it more complex too. I guess clubs would find the money if push came to shove. Thankfully most have good natured soles who complete- I think the very nature of a volunteer is to do something for the internal rewards of satisfaction that it brings, rather than cash or public praise (which a lot of local footballers are motivated by) 

I think a lot of players feel that their contribution is helping the club on the pitch by being the best player they can (training, commitment, playing well) and spending some money in the club house afterwards and attending social events that generate revenue. 

Is there a culture/infrastructure for the players to be able to give back? Is it in the DNA of clubs to have one day in the summer where players forgo a training session and help tidy up the group through manual labour? One player tasked with charming/selling the 50-50 draw? Each player tasked with getting a march sponsored once a year? Saltash’s recent success was built upon some strong management thinking outside of the box 

there are pockets of good things happening around the county, but it is sporadic.