Cornwall Football Forum

Players to watch.

The seasons nearly here & I can’t wait. Who’s gonna win the league? Who knows? Wendron are surely favourites! Liskeard are gonna be there as Newquay. Bude. St Austell. But who’s the players people are looking forward to watching? 
being a lifelong blues fan I’ve not seen anyone better than Max Gilbert for a long time. He’s got everything. Then our new signing Mike smith has got me excited. I know Wendron have some top players. Jaffa Rowe is gonna score goals. I think the young lad Castlehouse is gonna shine this year. Anyone else got any thoughts on stand out players? 

I’d have to be bias as I’ve only watched the Blues so far this season. After a very dominant performance against Oke Argyle a few weeks ago I can’t wait for the season to get started. With a vastly experienced, quality goalkeeper and a very solid robust back line our attacking flare with so many options should see us in good stead for a competitive season ahead 💙

With DJ, Smithy, Downing, Jeffery, Bartlett, Gilbey , Woodsy etc there’s plenty to be excited about.

Tornado at Bude will no doubt be among the goals again.

Charlie Hardcastle was quality for Torpoint at a higher level so expect big things from him.

Dan Tate moving to Wadebridge is one to keep an eye on as well as he did well for Bodmin last year.

Looks a bit of a rough diamond at the moment. Physically immense, but maybe that will fade as he returns from the full time game. 

Looks a bit of a rough diamond at the moment. Physically immense, but maybe that will fade as he returns from the full time game. Gave ward the run around on Monday night 

Sam Rutter will do well again this season as Bodmin, the dual registration with Tavistock will certainly aid his development and I'm sure there will be Clubs circling. Another that has been mentioned on here a few times is Alfie Fothergill at Launceston, a young lad going from strength to strength under Neil. I'm looking forward to see what opportunities Blaine Walton gets at Dobwalls, a player with lots of promise.

Few from Parkway's League and Cup winning under 18's at Dobwalls (believe their assistant boss ran this side last season). One of these, Callum Bleasdale, (who captained them) has had a season with Saltash. I'm surprised he hasn't moved to another step 5 (or higher) club.

14 hours ago, Chunkycheese said:

U18s always find men’s football hard. Too physical for most 

Quite possibly the case in the past but a lot of the younger lads I watched last year in particularly my club Liskeard the likes of Mullis. Jeffery. Bartlett certainly weren’t afraid to ‘put it about’ haha 

Good players, the full backs destined to play at a higher level but getting plenty of games time/education at Liskeard. 

lots of lads not fully developed until 20+

I would like to see a lot more young players playing for reserve teams instead of them being made up of lesser older players. 

On 29/07/2023 at 08:30, JonColenzo said:

I’d have to be bias as I’ve only watched the Blues so far this season. After a very dominant performance against Oke Argyle a few weeks ago I can’t wait for the season to get started. With a vastly experienced, quality goalkeeper and a very solid robust back line our attacking flare with so many options should see us in good stead for a competitive season ahead 💙

With DJ, Smithy, Downing, Jeffery, Bartlett, Gilbey , Woodsy etc there’s plenty to be excited about.

The Blues really need to go up this season. Several of those players you have mentioned are good enough to step 5 football (I'm sure that other clubs have noticed them) , and the town as a whole should be capable of supporting a team at that level.

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

The Blues really need to go up this season. Several of those players you have mentioned are good enough to step 5 football (I'm sure that other clubs have noticed them) , and the town as a whole should be capable of supporting a team at that level.

Ryan Downing played a few games for Falmouth Town last season and looked very comfortable at that level.  A bit surprised and disappointed that he chose to play for Liskeard instead of joining Falmouth. (Maybe he wasn't asked to join Town, but assuming he was, given how well he performed)

On 29/07/2023 at 08:30, JonColenzo said:

This surely is the season the Blues win the league. Quality throughout  the side. You might need a digital scoreboard to keep up with the goals DJ and Smith will (hopefully) bag! Good luck Blues for the season.

On 01/08/2023 at 10:19, Way Of The Park said:

You are right, but the Blues are deserving of better gates in view of the stylish football they play. Typically crowds are middling. C'mon Liskeard people you've got an attractive side go and support them. Football is not a TV programme, it is a live sport!

1 hour ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

This surely is the season the Blues win the league. Quality throughout  the side. You might need a digital scoreboard to keep up with the goals DJ and Smith will (hopefully) bag! Good luck Blues for the season.

You are right, but the Blues are deserving of better gates in view of the stylish football they play. Typically crowds are middling. C'mon Liskeard people you've got an attractive side go and support them. Football is not a TV programme, it is a live sport!

Should of added to take some earplugs if standing near the dugout.