Cornwall Football Forum

World Cup fixture at Bickland Park

Not having seen anything about this game, I thought that I would make lovers of football and Cornwall aware of a CONIFA World Football Cup qualifying game that will be played at Bickland Park on Sunday 16th July (next Sunday) with a 1.00pm kick-off.

The Kerow Alliance side will play against Håkan Kuorak's Sápmi side with the winners going to Kurdistan for the finals.

I believe that this is a Scandinavian side, made up from players in the area where Norway,  Sweden and Finland have a common ethnicity. 

Unfortunately,  not knowing much about this competition or Kernow's opponents,  I may not have the facts totally correct,  but why not come along and support our lads next Sunday at Bickland Park.

23 minutes ago, sportsman10 said:

What is the criteria for selection ??  Heavy liskeard presence but not many from the top Cornish teams. Truro , Falmouth , helston  and St Blazey etc ??

Guess that the criteria is who is willing and available. Everybody will have their own opinions as to who should have been picked, but the squad does have a nice mix of youth and experience. "Older " heads such as Shane White, Andy Watkins and Mark Goldsworthy are balanced out with highly rated teenagers such as Harry Jeffrey, Jack Symons and Harvey Mullis. Given how it's at Bickland Park, thought that a few more Falmouth players would have been involved. If only to attract a few more through the gate.

Mixed thoughts on this. I was a big fan of the Kernow/Conifa project initially, but after the farcical cancellation of the European Championship in July 2022, I was half hoping that the whole thing would be quietly forgotten.

1 hour ago, Way Of The Park said:

Guess that the criteria is who is willing and available. Everybody will have their own opinions as to who should have been picked, but the squad does have a nice mix of youth and experience. "Older " heads such as Shane White, Andy Watkins and Mark Goldsworthy are balanced out with highly rated teenagers such as Harry Jeffrey, Jack Symons and Harvey Mullis. Given how it's at Bickland Park, thought that a few more Falmouth players would have been involved. If only to attract a few more through the gate.

Mixed thoughts on this. I was a big fan of the Kernow/Conifa project initially, but after the farcical cancellation of the European Championship in July 2022, I was half hoping that the whole thing would be quietly forgotten.

I don’t know much about it to be honest. Seems like it fizzled out a while back when loads of players didn’t seem bothered to play in it.  Was just wondering what the criteria was for  selection . As like you mention surly a few more Falmouth players would have boosted the gate. 
also billy palfrey must be one the better Cornish players around. 

3 hours ago, sportsman10 said:

I don’t know much about it to be honest. Seems like it fizzled out a while back when loads of players didn’t seem bothered to play in it.  Was just wondering what the criteria was for  selection . As like you mention surly a few more Falmouth players would have boosted the gate. 
also billy palfrey must be one the better Cornish players around. 

Could also go with Ryan Lane (Looe resident as a youngster) alongside Billy Palfrey. 

Perhaps they were approached, but didn't want to take part.

On 10/07/2023 at 15:34, Way Of The Park said:

One factor must be: who fancies travelling to Kurdistan for the finals if Kernow get through! 

And, allied to that, who pays for travel and accommodation?

Might have a look tomorrow.

Kernow FA 2, FA Sapmi 1

Well, glad I went. I don't really like PSFs so this was a gift to me. Hadn't been to Bickland since before That House was built where the turnstiles used to be! It is THE place to go for a "proper football match" atmosphere, if not exactly wheel-chair friendly, but I do know the ground improvements are a work in progress. F-Troop were there and cleverly adapted their usual chants and songs to the Kernow FC cause - thanks for helping towards making me enjoy the game, boys and girls!

Bumped into the indefatigable Jill (or is it Gill?), the formidable Kit Manager from Porthleven FC, so the company was good. Faces I'd expected to see there were absent. 

They missed a game between two well-matched sides. Some results in this competition have been like cricket scores so I didn't know what to expect. Would Kernow be thrashed by a fully-professional outfit, or would they find themselves playing someone from Div 4 of last season's Trelawney League?

Kernow broke the deadlock in the 31st minute when a shot was deflected past the otherwise excellent 'keeper. Then in the 2nd half it was 2 - 0 on 78mins with a clear penalty. With 7 minutes added-on time a lob over Ollie Chenoweth on 90+2 meant a feverish ending including Sami's 'keeper entering the Kernow box for a couple of very late corners. Kernow held out for a satisfactory result.

Can't name any of the scorers as although the teams were announced, no shirt numbers were given, no scorers' names announced,  so substitutions were named nor the amount of time added on. For a game of such significance I thought this was disappointing. Wouldn't have happened in my day at Treyew Road!😉

2 hours ago, JonColenzo said:

Max Gilbert with the deflected goal and Dan Jennings with the penalty, can’t be many Cornish football supporters who don’t recognise those two.

Sorry, but when you rarely venture beyond Carharrack, St Day and Illogan, they aren't household names. I recognised Andy Watkins when he came on - I hope his injury isn't serious - but to encourage newcomers and the elderly with failing memories you need to do better!

1 hour ago, Dave Deacon said:

Nice one, Dave. Any idea what the attendance was?

Kernow FA 2, FA Sapmi 1

I think everyone was pleasantly surprised with the standard of football on display.  Both teams playing football early on and knocking the ball around very well.

Sapmi had 3/4 very large players, who's presence where felt on occasion with Goldsworthy showing his frustration towards the official several times in the first half.

First goal came following some good build up play and pressure from Kernow, although it took a nasty deflection wrong footing the GK not many would have disagreed that it was deserved. HT Kernow 1 - Sapmi 0

Much the same in the second half lots of good football played but not a lot of shots being taken.  Jack Symons came on for the injured sub Andy Watkins and won a penalty with almost his first touch.  Dan Jennings stepping up to make it 2-0

A late goal after a poor pass back from captain James Ward gave Sapmi hope... personally i think they were very unlucky not to get a pen/FK on the edge of the box after a clear handball from Ward shortly after their goal, but nothing was given.

Kernow seeing out the late pressure to win the match.

I personally don't know how selection is done or criteria for selection, but would like to see a more diverse squad from CORNISH born players from around the county.

Starting Line up was:

Ollie Chenoweth (Mousehole)

Dave Barker (Helston Ath) James Ward (C) (Falmouth Town) Callum O'Brien (Helston Ath) Kyle Fraser (Mousehole)

Dan Jennings, Harry Jeffery, Max Gilbert (Liskeard Ath) Shane White (Truro City) Jude Boyd (Mousehole)

Mark Goldsworthy (Mousehole)

Subs Used

Harvey Mullis (Liskeard Ath) Will Tinsely (St Blazey) Sam Gerken (Wadebridge Town) Jack Symons (Mousehole) Andy Watkins (Launceston Ath)

Subs Unused

Lewis Moyle (Mousehole) Gary Carpenter (Liskeard Ath)

JW

On 16/07/2023 at 20:06, JonColenzo said:

Max Gilbert with the deflected goal and Dan Jennings with the penalty, can’t be many Cornish football supporters who don’t recognise those two.

Sorry these names are not familiar to myself , probably due to following my local club Hayle , and also lots of grassroots fans following their town , village teams are probably in the same boat , not everyone supports the higher placed clubs in Cornwall . 

On 17/07/2023 at 10:22, Jeremy Wade said:

Kernow FA 2, FA Sapmi 1

I think everyone was pleasantly surprised with the standard of football on display.  Both teams playing football early on and knocking the ball around very well.

Sapmi had 3/4 very large players, who's presence where felt on occasion with Goldsworthy showing his frustration towards the official several times in the first half.

First goal came following some good build up play and pressure from Kernow, although it took a nasty deflection wrong footing the GK not many would have disagreed that it was deserved. HT Kernow 1 - Sapmi 0

Much the same in the second half lots of good football played but not a lot of shots being taken.  Jack Symons came on for the injured sub Andy Watkins and won a penalty with almost his first touch.  Dan Jennings stepping up to make it 2-0

A late goal after a poor pass back from captain James Ward gave Sapmi hope... personally i think they were very unlucky not to get a pen/FK on the edge of the box after a clear handball from Ward shortly after their goal, but nothing was given.

Kernow seeing out the late pressure to win the match.

I personally don't know how selection is done or criteria for selection, but would like to see a more diverse squad from CORNISH born players from around the county.

Starting Line up was:

Ollie Chenoweth (Mousehole)

Dave Barker (Helston Ath) James Ward (C) (Falmouth Town) Callum O'Brien (Helston Ath) Kyle Fraser (Mousehole)

Dan Jennings, Harry Jeffery, Max Gilbert (Liskeard Ath) Shane White (Truro City) Jude Boyd (Mousehole)

Mark Goldsworthy (Mousehole)

Subs Used

Harvey Mullis (Liskeard Ath) Will Tinsely (St Blazey) Sam Gerken (Wadebridge Town) Jack Symons (Mousehole) Andy Watkins (Launceston Ath)

Subs Unused

Lewis Moyle (Mousehole) Gary Carpenter (Liskeard Ath)

JW

Selection is probably down to who is intrested first and then some training , trials . Ect , I'm not sure though how many are actually Cornish or just live in Cornwall,  now this point can cause more discussions , I know this one is a bit of a bug bearer in walking football the FA doesnt recognise county / country so another group walking football association runs representative sides for county and country teams , but your club has to be affiliated to this group for club members to be picked ,  it has so many England representative sides its causes no end of debate on various forums . 😯