Cornwall Football Forum

Cornwall Senior Cup Draw 2022-23

Sorry everyone but I'm going to be letting off steam about something that I mentioned last season and has happened again.

For the second season running,the Cornwall FA it seems have missed a trick.They have awarded 9 byes into the 2nd round only one of which is a Western League team.Surely it makes sense to have 8 byes and a first round of 16 teams made up as follows :

First Round = 15 SWPLW teams + highest performing team from Piran East or West from previous season.

Second Round = 6 WL teams + highest performing team from SWPLW from previous season (Liskeard) + runners-up from                                          previous  season (Wendron) -if this is a WL team then two SWPLW teams qualify + 8 winners from First round.

That took me five minutes to work out using the premise of incentive and reward.

Let me explain,promoting a team from the Piran league into the Senior Cup, not only gives them the (reward) of potentially at least two games in a higher standard cup competition against the 'big boys' but also makes the promotion race in both divisions more competitive (incentive).

The same thing would apply to the SWPLW as not only would they be trying for promotion and a potential bye (reward) but the standard of every game in the Senior Cup should automatically increase with the carrot of a bye for the losing finalists (incentive).

For those of you who might say this would maybe make for a dull Final as both teams would effectively be winners,I disagree just ask anyone who watched last years game and Wendron weren't there to make up the numbers,they ran Falmouth very close.

This trophy is still all about prestige,which brings me to my final point.

Every team/club has a responsibility to improve themselves,it is also the responsibility of the County FA to encourage this. 

I've looked at the draw and it seems to me that old men in grey suits have played pin-the-tail on the donkey to select the byes I would love to know what the criteria is for being awarded one.There are six WL teams in the county for the first time that I can remember,at least the way that I've done the byes the 8 teams are being presented as a Cornish football success story,surely something we should be proud of.

As I mentioned earlier no incentive and reward.

Thank you for bearing with me and you'll be pleased to know.....rant over !

' Up The Town '

14 hours ago, SON OF LINEKER said:

Sorry everyone but I'm going to be letting off steam about something that I mentioned last season and has happened again.

For the second season running,the Cornwall FA it seems have missed a trick.They have awarded 9 byes into the 2nd round only one of which is a Western League team.Surely it makes sense to have 8 byes and a first round of 16 teams made up as follows :

First Round = 15 SWPLW teams + highest performing team from Piran East or West from previous season.

Second Round = 6 WL teams + highest performing team from SWPLW from previous season (Liskeard) + runners-up from                                          previous  season (Wendron) -if this is a WL team then two SWPLW teams qualify + 8 winners from First round.

That took me five minutes to work out using the premise of incentive and reward.

Let me explain,promoting a team from the Piran league into the Senior Cup, not only gives them the (reward) of potentially at least two games in a higher standard cup competition against the 'big boys' but also makes the promotion race in both divisions more competitive (incentive).

The same thing would apply to the SWPLW as not only would they be trying for promotion and a potential bye (reward) but the standard of every game in the Senior Cup should automatically increase with the carrot of a bye for the losing finalists (incentive).

For those of you who might say this would maybe make for a dull Final as both teams would effectively be winners,I disagree just ask anyone who watched last years game and Wendron weren't there to make up the numbers,they ran Falmouth very close.

Every team/club has a responsibility to improve themselves,it is also the responsibility of the County FA to encourage this. 

I've looked at the draw and it seems to me that old men in grey suits have played pin-the-tail on the donkey to select the byes I would love to know what the criteria is for being awarded one.There are six WL teams in the county for the first time that I can remember,at least the way that I've done the byes the 8 teams are being presented as a Cornish football success story,surely something we should be proud of.

' Up The Town '

Just to clarify that the Senior Cup draw was made by the Office Staff.

' Men in Grey Suits ' as you referred to don't exist anymore,  this is 2022 not 1972.

15 hours ago, SON OF LINEKER said:

' Up The Town '

Agree on what you're saying, unfortunately, it was decided (supposedly by a vote by clubs - which caused some backlash as some clubs were adamant they were NOT in favour) to remove St Pirans League sides from the Senior Cup - essentially making it just a SWPL and WL cup.

I now believe the bye's are just at random - although, would have thought the WL sides would get a bye automatically - a bit like the premier league top 6 joining the FA cup in the third round

The byes are randomly drawn.

And lets not forget that the Senior Cup is now a midweek floodlit competition.  This change was made for this season in response to a document received from the FA outlining their increasing concerns about the disruptions across the country on National League System fixtures caused by county senior cups.  This has been rumbling on for many years within the FA but this year they made it very clear that if the disruptions continued they would look very closely at putting a rule change in place to prohibit first teams of clubs competing at Steps 5 & 6 taking part in county senior cups as is currently the case for those teams at Step 4 and above.  This change was overwhelmingly supported by the clubs in the competition.

Thanks to everyone that replied,there's a few things there that I wasn't aware of,but if you don't ask you don't know.

10 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

In your idea would you have the St Piran League sides also allowed to enter the Intermediate Cup?

The answer to your question is yes as there would only be the one team entering,the rest would automatically stay in the Intermediate Cup.Anyway it's all hyperthetical so doesn't really matter I suppose.

4 hours ago, bighairydave said:

Those numbers may only work for one season though and the rule amendments need to be in each season before the promotions are confirmed so not practical to do so with this.

2 hours ago, Steve Carpenter said:

The byes are randomly drawn.

And lets not forget that the Senior Cup is now a midweek floodlit competition.  This change was made for this season in response to a document received from the FA outlining their increasing concerns about the disruptions across the country on National League System fixtures caused by county senior cups.  This has been rumbling on for many years within the FA but this year they made it very clear that if the disruptions continued they would look very closely at putting a rule change in place to prohibit first teams of clubs competing at Steps 5 & 6 taking part in county senior cups as is currently the case for those teams at Step 4 and above.  This change was overwhelmingly supported by the clubs in the competition.

I wasn't aware of the amendments before the promotions and the prohibition of the higher step clubs.

Thanks again,you're never too old to learn !

' Up The Town '