Cornwall Football Forum

ECPL Restarts - Opening League Fixtures

The ECPL returns this weekend with 2 fixtures and 7 midweekers. Less scheduled at the weekend due to Boardmasters.

Saturday

Torpoint Ath 3rds vs North Petherwin 14:30ko

St Column vs Wadebridge Town Reserves 14:30ko

Then midweek...

Tuesday

St Blazey Reserves vs Liskeard Ath Reserves 19:30ko

St Dennis Reserves vs St Stephen 19:30ko

Wednesday

North Petherwin vs St Teath 18:30ko

Roche vs Foxhole 18:30ko

St Columb vs Newquay Academy 18:30ko

St Newlyn East vs Nanpean 18:45ko

Torpoint Ath 3rds vs Looe Town 19:30ko

likely to be completely wrong being the start of a new season but some predictions for fun:

Torpoint 2-0 North Petherwin

St columb 2-0 wadebridge 

st blazey 2-2 liskeard 

st Dennis 1-2 st Stephen 

north petherwin 1-3 st teath

roche 0-4 foxhole

st columb 3-1 Newquay 

st newlyn 1-1 nanpean

torpoint 3-0 looe

Expect to see Foxhole back closer to the top this season with St Blazey and Liskeard (st cleer) also catching the eye. Reigning champions Torpoint will be up there after a fantastic campaign last time out in what will be a very different league to last year without altarnun and gunni. Here is to hoping it is as entertaining as last season

Lots of unknowns with so many new teams this year you're right. 3 champions in the league with North Petherwin and Nanpean coming up as Div 1 winners, so 3 sides used to winning. Foxhole look like they're without last season's league top scorer Tyler Cheshire as well as Jack Boardman but Bouldy and Rowe will score them goals. Can't see them outside the top 3/4. The likes of Looe, St Blazey, Wadebridge and St Stephen are likely to be very young squads so I predict they'll improve throughout. Can see a couple of clubs struggling over the season too.

Torpoint are my favourites for the title again this season, although that partly depends on who they've kept hold of as I expect a few might have moved up to the 2nds.

Nanpean  and North Petherwin will certainly be up there or there abouts. Both have good squads and will more than hold their own at this level. 

Last season had a brilliant ending with 3/4 teams in with a chance, lets hope for an equally exciting finish this year

On 11/08/2022 at 15:07, Foul Throw 3 said:

The ECPL returns this weekend with 2 fixtures and 7 midweekers. Less scheduled at the weekend due to Boardmasters.

Not the Boardmasters excuse again🤦‍♂️

Opening weekend of a brand new Football season ditched for a fifth rate pop concert 🥴

It's obviously being classed as an essential occurrence worthy of decimating almost an entire days fixtures.

It pays little respect to what is supposed to be an organised official League competition.

Ridiculous. Surely there's been enough off-season weekends for players to get hammered 🤪 

Shortest pre season in my memory, baking hot weather that isn’t conducive to good football and many footballers still playing cricket.

Yet you’re still moaning about 1 weekend of the year being taken up by the 3rd biggest music festival in the UK. 🤦

32 minutes ago, Uwdi Krugg said:

Opening weekend of a brand new Football season ditched for a fifth rate pop concert 🥴

It's obviously being classed as an essential occurrence worthy of decimating almost an entire days fixtures.

It pays little respect to what is supposed to be an organised official League competition.

Ridiculous. Surely there's been enough off-season weekends for players to get hammered 🤪 

4 hours ago, Uwdi Krugg said:

As Hedgerow says Uwdi my friend. The off season for my team was only 5 weeks so it's not exactly lots of free time before the restart.

Also, clubs not playing have used 1 of their 2 "fixture blanks" for the season by not playing today. I think that's fair considering the likes of Newquay Academy will have players and management all involved with work specifically for the festival. And those not involved will have significant travel issues in/out of Newquay today. As will a lot of that region. 

Moreover, just my opinion, all the younger lads have missed 2 huge summers of their young adulthood due to the pandemic which has affected availability throughout pre season at all levels. They have catching up to do in terms of life experiences and not just football. I think that's fair enough.

5 hours ago, Uwdi Krugg said:

Football is not the be all and end all for many anymore.

There's a lot of other stuff around now that we obviously never had, and if we did- would we be any different? 

I doubt it.

5 hours ago, cornish leg end said:

Good luck to both st columb and wadebridge today both proper east Cornwall clubs good to see them back in the league.

fancy Casey to surprise a few teams with major this year.  

St Columb Maj 6-0 Wadebridge Town Res FT

Wow what a start for St Columb

with regards to using one of their 2 fixture postponement allowance, this was also agreed at the AGM, by Member Clubs not the Executive that teams who did not wish to play this week end would not be counted towards their allowance. 

I don’t think it’s the case of people cannot be arsed, in my opinion, that is very negative. All football, rugby, cricket and other sports have had a nightmare couple of years as as well as businesses.  Peoples perceptions in life have changed, work, family time is now more important and I think sport has to change to accommodate these changes in lifestyle etc. 

as it has been mentioned on numerous threads on this forum, if people are not happy with the way Leagues are being administered, then they are welcome to assist. Leagues are screaming for assistance as well as clubs

Torpoint Ath 1 - 2 North Petherwin

Torpoint goalscorer - Chris Westall.

Lineup: WestallM, Bartolini, WhiteJ, WhiteS, Hussey, Pearce, Northcott, Rowe, Easterbrook, WestallC, Ferguson.

Subs: Blair, Burrell, Warren. Unused: Walton.

Two sides who were champions of their respective divisions last season so neither would've taken the other for granted. An absolute sweltering day and was far too hot to watch let alone play. Felt for both squads and poor Allen in his all black referee's kit.

Torpoint had the brighter start and opened the scoring on 15mins. A superb corner from Hussey was met with good movement and a strong header by the skipper followed by a fine worthy celebration. For the first 25mins we were on top and had multiple chances to be further ahead, but a goal line header at the back post from another set piece kept us out, some unreal goalkeeping and a pinball melee where 3-4 shots in a row were destined for 2-0 but Petherwin put their bodies on the line to defy the odds. This buoyed them and they didn't rest on their laurels. From 30mins on they grew in confidence and were winning all the duels particularly in midfield. Around 40mins they equalised with a shin roller which probably deceived keeper WestallM. HT 1-1.

2nd half was mostly Petherwin on top. Despite the heat they didn't look like they were letting up and physically dominated the middle of the park. Despite Torpoint making a few subs for fresher legs, neither could get into the game. The distances between attack and defence was far too big to be compact defensively or support each other in possession. Really disappointing to see as despite the temperatures, it was the same conditions for both sides. At 1-1 chances did come our way with WestallC doing superb to body the centre half and spin him to get through on goal to slip the ball under the keeper. But again the willingness from Petherwin had a defender rush in to clear from the line. Warren also got through on goal but the bouncing ball just wouldn't drop enough to make the chance a little easier, with the ball being lifted over the keeper and the goal. On 87mins Petherwin won a free kick wide right on the halfway line. (Was never a free kick). A huge delivery was swung in and the Petherwin motm won a great header to take the lead and crush our mood. 

Based on chances we should've won the game and I wanted the keeper to reveal himself as Manuel Neuer. Petherwin didn't give up on anything though and ultimately that attitude won them the 3 points. A bitter pill to swallow as it usually is when you lose. No excuses though and our standards were low yesterday and that was more disappointing than the loss. Onto Wednesday where hopefully we can move on quickly. 

18 hours ago, Mongoose said:

Torpoint 1-2 North Petherwin 

Late headed winner for the traveling Badgers.

Great support from you guys yesterday. Thanks to those that came back to the club for a few drinks.