Cornwall Football Forum

ARE TOWN GOOD ENOUGH TO GO ALL THE WAY IN THE VASE??

Can they win it? Probably not. Those sides from the North take a bit of beating.  11 of the last 15 winning teams have come from North East or North West of England.

Could go very deep into the competition though with home draws . Looked at St Austell's run to the semis in 2014/15, they were lucky with home ties in 6 of the 8 rounds before that stage. A long journey down, and the prospect of a large partisan crowd awaiting them, would be a daunting prospect. 

Saturday's tie could have gone either way (lookingat highlight chances) so as Older' says fortune will play a big part.

The big factors are the F troop support and the localloyal togetherness of the players.

Remember the bulk of the team with a large contingent from Penryn Athletic began their first game together losing 0-7 at Home to Tavistock. So its been a seasonal progress after that "pleased to meet you" on that opening day of 2017-18 season.

On 23/10/2021 at 20:15, THEMAGPIE said:

The question is plain and simple…… are Falmouth Town a good enough outfit to win the FA Vase?? I personally think they’re definitely in with a shout especially with the F Troop right behind them! 

How do they compare to the famous TCFC side that went all the way??

As a Town fan, it is noticeable that we create lots of chances but don't take enough of them. 

I would fancy us more with a Rappo in the team!

Having said that, we do have the three leading  goal scorers in the league!I

Got to take your chances in these tight games though.

Thanks Town Man 👍️ Certainly wish I was 25 years younger and scoring goals in front of the fantastic F Troop fans these days! I’m sure the players know and appreciate how lucky they are to play in front of you guys every week as we all did 30 odd years ago in front of the great lads that supported us all over Devon and Cornwall and beyond! 🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆 Great to see some of them still in The Packet End these days with all that colour and noise! Never forget that statue in the middle of Holsworthy about 40 foot high with a couple of Town scarves on after we won the league up there in 90 or 92?!! Great times and looks like plenty more to come for the club 👍💛🖤🏆

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/10/2021 at 20:15, THEMAGPIE said:

The question is plain and simple…… are Falmouth Town a good enough outfit to win the FA Vase?? I personally think they’re definitely in with a shout especially with the F Troop right behind them! 

How do they compare to the famous TCFC side that went all the way??

A tough game awaits away at Buckland next Saturday. However, I'd fancy them to win that game and then go on a nice little cup run!

I have seen Falmouth enough times this season to acknowledge they are a level above the league they are currently in. The league title is for them to lose. That said, they can at times ‘switch off’ during games and can consequently concede more frequently than they should. Every occasion I have seen them, the keeper has been forced to make a worldie save, which you do not expect from teams with a 100% playing record.  They have sensibly consolidated when top of the league by signing quality players. This added strength in depth will obviously enhance their chances of a good run in the Vase. If they can survive this next game plus a decent draw in subsequent round/s, then they can fancy their chances. 

13 minutes ago, Joe1970Johnson said:

I have seen Falmouth enough times this season to acknowledge they are a level above the league they are currently in. The league title is for them to lose. That said, they can at times ‘switch off’ during games and can consequently concede more frequently than they should. Every occasion I have seen them, the keeper has been forced to make a worldie save, which you do not expect from teams with a 100% playing record.  They have sensibly consolidated when top of the league by signing quality players. This added strength in depth will obviously enhance their chances of a good run in the Vase. If they can survive this next game plus a decent draw in subsequent round/s, then they can fancy their chances. 

There's no doubt that Falmouth will win the league. As you mentioned, they are easily a level above the league they are currently in. As for next season, they will be regularly tested by some better quality in terms of attackers. It'll be interesting to see how they deal with that!

On 25/10/2021 at 11:39, Way Of The Park said:

Can they win it? Probably not. Those sides from the North take a bit of beating.  11 of the last 15 winning teams have come from North East or North West of England.

Could go very deep into the competition though with home draws . Looked at St Austell's run to the semis in 2014/15, they were lucky with home ties in 6 of the 8 rounds before that stage. A long journey down, and the prospect of a large partisan crowd awaiting them, would be a daunting prospect. 

That 11 from 15 is significant, northern teams have been known to thrive on the FA vase cup runs and prize money, for years top northern non league teams would win or come close to winning their leagues earning the right for promotion, looking at the competitions records the teams with consecutive Vase final appearances reveals that was the case in the past because if they had taken promotion eventually they would have had to compete in the FA Trophy - I know there was a move not many years ago to make clubs take promotion to stop stagnation of the same clubs winning leagues where competition was not up to their standard and in many cases less travelling for away games. I think some action has been enforced in recent years. Good luck to Falmouth but I cannot see them selling their club down the river to win the Vase like what happened to us. Expensive memory.

5 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Reality check this Saturday for Town - one I think they'll learn and build from.

It's difficult in games like that. Purely because they don't face that kind of opposition week in and week out. In the Western League, you can't afford to switch off, as you'll get punished. That isn't always the case in the South West Peninsula League.

18 hours ago, Both Sides of the Tamar said:

Reality check this Saturday for Town - one I think they'll learn and build from.

Remember Parkway losing to Westfields at home in the 3rd round of the Vase back in 2017/18 (when they finished the season as SWPL champions, and went up). After the initial disappointment at what felt like an opportunity wasted, assistant manager Karl Curtis spoke of how it drove them on. He said that they had gotten a taste of the difference between step 6 and step 5 football. and wanted more of it.