Cornwall Football Forum

England Win

As you know i dont really care what i write so here goes ,England played brilliant and won but not the right way to win Sterling went down to easy for the pen hes been doing it all season he is a cheat and i hope if he does it on Sunday the Italians kick the out of him .If this morning England had lost to a pen like that everyone would be up in arms we where robbed Denmark cheated but England does it nothing is said .Roy Keane is also outspoken bit like me but he tells it like he saw it and he said it was never a pen and if he says it you dont argue with him .Well done England but lets win the final on Sunday the proper way and not cheating ,If Sterling goes down easy like he does Chielinni will kick him over the stand looking forward to Sunday but i think the Italians will win 2-0 they have been the best team in the tournament and they have not lost for 33 games so they cant be a bad team .Harry McGuire what a player what a leader think Pickford had some dodgey moments last night just hope he doesnt have any on Sunday the player that has impressed me most is Kalvin Phillips hes Englands unsung hero before the tournament i never thought he was good enough for England but i was wrong hes been tremendous .Ok onto sunday only a couple more days of that song Its coming home rather here Sweet Caroline 

I thought England had 2 decent shouts for a penalty, one was given one was not. Why are we criticising England players when any other team would have done the same? It's part of the modern game! Apart from the Sterling pen, didn't think the ref gave us much all match. What was the Maguire yellow card all about? Personally I thought England were good value for a narrow win. Lets enjoy!

Sterling, Kane and Maguire all go down fast to easily. But when England players do it, it's, them winning the free kicks, when a foreign player does it they're cheating!! They wonder why the English are disliked!!! 

The foul on kane though looked a penalty to me. 

It was a dive and, let's be honest, if a Dane had done it then England fans would be livid. Equally, if the Italians "buy" free kicks in the same manner as Harry Kane did last night in Sunday's final, then all hell would break loose. But sod it, it was England, and we won, and for that I am really pleased. The Danish created little in the second half, and England would have won by more if it wasn't for the brilliance of Kasper Schmiechel.

Three people to single out, Raheem Sterling was phenomenal and has made the jump to world class. In Gareth Southgate, England finally have a manager who picks a team to win matches and get through changing match situations, and not be solely obsessed with shoe horning as many of the crowd and media favourites into his side as possible (taking off Jack Grealish after bringing him on was a huge, but correct, call), and finally Christian Eriksen. I can't imagine how the Danes even managed to play on in the tournament, let alone reach the semi final, after witnessing their star player and talisman briefly die on the pitch. 

Finally, how embarrassing is the persistent booing of the opposing team's national anthem?  When the superb and rousing Italian anthem is inevitably drowned out in the same manner on Sunday evening, then it will be a moment of national shame. It is another reason why I (and i suspect many others) now happily separate this group of likeable players and their wonderful manager from the nonsense that surrounds the England side 

Interesting comments on here . On the allotment the other morning three or four of the men were discussing England and all had the same opinion as you St Darren None of them wanted to see England win   because they didn't want to see Maguire and Trippier hailed as heroes  and be given  MBE's or more  as a result of being European champions  . Which proves that not the whole country is behind England's players 

As regards the comments about penalties and diving I recall the England cricketer Graham Thorpe's comments  after England beat India in a test match some years ago . India had never been beaten on that particular ground  and as England neared a win they pulled every stroke in the book to waste time as it got darker . When the commentator mentioned their tactics to Thorpe he simply said " it was an important game to them and let's be honest if we were in their position we would have done the same "

1 hour ago, fenman said:

Interesting comments on here . On the allotment the other morning three or four of the men were discussing England and all had the same opinion as you St Darren None of them wanted to see England win   because they didn't want to see Maguire and Trippier hailed as heroes  and be given  MBE's or more  as a result of being European champions  . Which proves that not the whole country is behind England's players 

As regards the comments about penalties and diving I recall the England cricketer Graham Thorpe's comments  after England beat India in a test match some years ago . India had never been beaten on that particular ground  and as England neared a win they pulled every stroke in the book to waste time as it got darker . When the commentator mentioned their tactics to Thorpe he simply said " it was an important game to them and let's be honest if we were in their position we would have done the same "

Are your comments regarding Maguire and Trippier specifically about the personal lives? Jack Grealish and Kyle Walker also got up to some stupid stuff during the first COVID lockdown. I guess we'll always have issues with young multi millionaires who are very experienced and skilled at football, but incredible wealth has made them less so at life.

I though am glad, after the nonsense of the WAGs years and the circus that surrounded this, that I have no idea who Harry Kane, Kalvin Phillips, Luke Shaw, Jordan Pickford, John Stones etc are in a relationship with and what their partners look like.

I believe their views were based on their personal lives  and the feeling that all would be forgiven if England win . Bear in mind these men are all in theirs 50's plus and generally speaking have a different attitude to life than younger people .

As regards my own personal feelings I think it's absurd that a footballer can be regarded as  " a  national hero " . I worked with an unassuming dapper polite little man who  was a commando and landed in a glider behind enemy  lines before D Day and help defend  what is now called " Pegasus Bridge " from German Panzers . He later fought  at Arnhem and was captured there . He was a hero .Another ex colleague was a Chindit and was parachuted  behind enemy lines in Burma where they blew up train lines and Japanese supply dump s ( not to be confused with the TV programme " Supplies Supplies " he was a hero 

My father was in the 49th Division that ,  along with the Canadians and Poles liberated the Low Countries  and then into Germany . To me he was a hero , not a footballer paid 10's of thousands of pounds a week to play a sport . Good luck to them if they win it but don't  regard them as " heroes " 

4 minutes ago, Keith B said:

ITV have shown footage of Kasper Schmeichel being dazzled by a lazer pen as he faced Kane,s penalty ? WHAT is there to be a complaint or inquiry into this ? Has the keeper complained ?

UEFA have censured England regarding this,booing of Danish anthem and smoke flares in the stadium.

3 hours ago, Keith B said:

Maguire booking was for dissent - too much rage on his face and, right in the ref's face.

Being part of the modern game sir - doesn't make it right. The attitude of many of today's players makes me sick. Going down too easily/diving it's cheating !

I didn't realise Maguire booking was for dissent. IF that is confirmed then more understandable but what really makes me frustrated is the inconsistency in refereeing and focus on certain things that seem to change from tournament to tournament. Did Denmark pick up a booking all match and if not HOW? IMO, I saw numerous 'yellows' that would have been given in a regular Premiership match! Players don't make the rules but maybe coached to adjust to the way games are being referred.

5 minutes ago, Keith B said:

Fair comment sir. This referee seemed to blow hot and cold. Generally I thought he did a good job but, there were indeed times when he should have shown a yellow card but didn't. Watching as we do on the TV, we are not privy to what is said or heard on the pitch of course. Referees rightly have a discretionary power and especially where dissent is concerned that is right. Maquire simply said too much and in a threatening way towards the official and that was why he was booked, is my understanding.   

I don't think he was booked for dissent. He got booked in the aerial challenge which I presume was interpreted as a challenge with too much force.  He showed dissent when Denmark scored the free kick as he didn't think either of the free kicks should have been given. Which is quite ironic when you see how easy he goes to ground to win a free kick. 

13 hours ago, justanopinion said:

I didn't realise Maguire booking was for dissent. IF that is confirmed then more understandable but what really makes me frustrated is the inconsistency in refereeing and focus on certain things that seem to change from tournament to tournament. Did Denmark pick up a booking all match and if not HOW? IMO, I saw numerous 'yellows' that would have been given in a regular Premiership match! Players don't make the rules but maybe coached to adjust to the way games are being referred.

Given that ITV had two match commentators, four pundits on the platform and two adding God knows what pitch side (not forgetting a tame ex referee offering analysis), it says a lot for the poor quality of this coverage that none of them picked this up and mentioned it. Feel another thread coming on about TV coverage of these Euros, but watching the excellent coverage, commentary and insight into the Tour De France on ITV4 shows just how far it has fallen in recent years.

11 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Given that ITV had two match commentators, four pundits on the platform and two adding God knows what pitch side (not forgetting a tame ex referee offering analysis), it says a lot for the poor quality of this coverage that none of them picked this up and mentioned it. Feel another thread coming on about TV coverage of these Euros, but watching the excellent coverage, commentary and insight into the Tour De France on ITV4 shows just how far it has fallen in recent years.

Itv are taking a battering on social media about Sam Matterface being commentator. He's taken over from Clive Tyldesley and he's truly awful. 

I'm looking forward to seeing the figures on Monday on those watching BBC or ITV

41 minutes ago, St Darren said:

Itv are taking a battering on social media about Sam Matterface being commentator. He's taken over from Clive Tyldesley and he's truly awful. 

I'm looking forward to seeing the figures on Monday on those watching BBC or ITV

He was always poor on Talksport. His commentary seemed to consist of little more than pre prepared quips. It's not just the TV channels, where once we had Trevor Brooking, Bob Wilson  and Graham Taylor on 5Live providing analysis, we now have to suffer Dion Dublin, Robbie Savage and Chris Sutton

With regards to the England penalty, Sterling did go down easily but was touched, both on the back leg and the hip. It happens every week in football. It was one of those where you'd want it if it was for you and would argue if it was against you. Also, the free-kick for the Danish goal came from a player throwing himself to the ground to try to win a foul, which he got. When England do it, it's cheating, when others do it, it's professionalism. And do you think Italy have reached the final without being a bit "professional" at times? No, me neither. Come on England!

26 minutes ago, Thecupfootballblogger said:

With regards to the England penalty, Sterling did go down easily but was touched, both on the back leg and the hip. It happens every week in football. It was one of those where you'd want it if it was for you and would argue if it was against you. Also, the free-kick for the Danish goal came from a player throwing himself to the ground to try to win a foul, which he got. When England do it, it's cheating, when others do it, it's professionalism. And do you think Italy have reached the final without being a bit "professional" at times? No, me neither. Come on England!

Are you having a laugh? "when England do it, its cheating, when others do it, its professionalism"   English players get away with it all the time in the Premier league, Harry Kane backs in and then falls over, he puts his leg across people to gain the contact. 

Either we accept that it's part of the game in trying to gain and advantage or it gets dealt with in a harsher way. As I said, see how softly Maguire goes down when he's in trouble on the ball 

42 minutes ago, Keith B said:

Winning a foul - professionalism - feeling a touch. The fact that it happens every week in football, is irrelevant. It's cheating !! 

Honesty seems to have vanished these days. That said, not all players cheat.

I think it was a penalty and I think the Danish player went down just as easily for the free-kick from which they scored. I think at whatever level you watch or play there are lots of things that could be classed as cheating, from diving to claiming a throw-in when you know it came off you. It can all be classified as cheating if you want but the reality is that it happens all the time, everywhere. That might be sad but it is true.

31 minutes ago, St Darren said:

Are you having a laugh? "when England do it, its cheating, when others do it, its professionalism"   English players get away with it all the time in the Premier league, Harry Kane backs in and then falls over, he puts his leg across people to gain the contact. 

Either we accept that it's part of the game in trying to gain and advantage or it gets dealt with in a harsher way. As I said, see how softly Maguire goes down when he's in trouble on the ball 

No, I am not having a laugh. I was just saying I don't see why England players should solely be picked on when every team does it. The Danish free-kick from which they scored came from a player throwing himself to the ground but I haven't heard the same level of criticism of that. I agree that "simulation" by anybody should be dealt with much more harshly. That would be wonderful but I don't think it is going to happen. So, instead of just picking and choosing who we want to criticise for it, EVERYONE who does it, whoever they play for, should be criticised. And I still think it was a pen! 😁

I believe  the TV coverage is controlled by UEFA.

Great quote from 66. The players travelled by coach from Wembley to central London for a reception. Of course, people were lining the streets and waving flags. Jack Charlton said to Bobby “ I wonder what it would have been like if we had lost?”.

Be prepared.

32 minutes ago, Thecupfootballblogger said:

I think it was a penalty and I think the Danish player went down just as easily for the free-kick from which they scored. I think at whatever level you watch or play there are lots of things that could be classed as cheating, from diving to claiming a throw-in when you know it came off you. It can all be classified as cheating if you want but the reality is that it happens all the time, everywhere. That might be sad but it is true.

No, I am not having a laugh. I was just saying I don't see why England players should solely be picked on when every team does it. The Danish free-kick from which they scored came from a player throwing himself to the ground but I haven't heard the same level of criticism of that. I agree that "simulation" by anybody should be dealt with much more harshly. That would be wonderful but I don't think it is going to happen. So, instead of just picking and choosing who we want to criticise for it, EVERYONE who does it, whoever they play for, should be criticised. And I still think it was a pen! 😁

Definitely a Penalty. 

I also have no doubt that professional clubs now have coaching sessions on how to win free kicks and penalties! 

3 hours ago, RAPPO said:

Darren watches Mo Salah every week so he knows a bit about diving watching the master!!! 😂

If he doesnt go to ground he doesn't get the foul. He's now stopped going to ground, same as Mane! 

Harry Kane is far worse but because he's the England captain it doesn't get talked about 

53 minutes ago, Keith B said:

If we've got to the final by cheating, then I hope Italy beat us. I'd like to think that the majority of players don't cheat. There's some great talent in the team - they don't need to cheat.

Cheaters have no moral values and deserve to fail.

Trouble is Keith I think every footballing  country now practice the dark arts.