Cornwall Football Forum

Football Super League

Well  they are on about a Super League what a joke how can Spurs and Arsenal be in this so called super league Leicester have more right than these clubs , all they want to do is make more money out of the fans and increase the players bank balance the poor footballers how can they cope on there Pittance and Mr Pogba at MAN UTD demanding £500,000  a week i say kick his ass into touch hes a lazy player anyway . There will be a super league in Cornwall before long lol

58 minutes ago, 100%cornish said:

Well  they are on about a Super League what a joke how can Spurs and Arsenal be in this so called super league Leicester have more right than these clubs , all they want to do is make more money out of the fans and increase the players bank balance the poor footballers how can they cope on there Pittance and Mr Pogba at MAN UTD demanding £500,000  a week i say kick his ass into touch hes a lazy player anyway . There will be a super league in Cornwall before long lol

Why pick on Paul Pogba about his wage, it's nothing to do with him. Stop going on about players wages. 

It's the owners of the clubs that are to blame here, they're looking to increase the value of their business, its not a football thing, it's purely business. They don't care about the fans, it's all about the TV money and the corporate side of the game. 

I Think he will be chairman Pat hes just put in for the Spurs job now Mourinho has been sacked about time he treats some players like dirt ,I think Eddie HOWE would make a great Spurs BOSS but they will go for some foreigner for sure This super league is just like the Champions league really .

I'm all for it providing they evict them from the Premier league .The ethics of football has been destroyed by the introduction of the Premier League . 3o years ago Sky said they would change the face of football , well that's true  its gone from a game of entertainment for the fans to a money making exercise where most of the teams play not to lose rather than to win . As a result we are served up boring games played like chess , with a team of pundits brainwashing us into believing that its entertaining whereas its really a money making exercise for owners from far afield who have no real interest in the game . Here in Norfolk Norwich fans continually moan about Delia Smith and the board not spending money  on players. I'm not a fan of the club but  I must admit that I admire their ideals . She and her family are die hard fans ( ironically she lives near Ipswich  , the hated rivals ) they attend all the games and try to keep the club in the black rather than get it heavily in debt .

Having said all the above , I see governments are now involved  so it could get complicated .The consensus among the dozen or so decrepid  old football fans on our allotment is that it should go ahead and the teams banned from the Premiership BUT the feeling it that the weak FA will not take this action  and will reach a compromise .

Simple message to all fans who are outraged by this, don't support it.

If you are buying merchandise, buying TV subscription packages, buying over priced tickets, tolerating kick off times that are purely for armchair audiences (especially for viewers in the United States and Asia), then you are stoking the machine and enabling them. Stop giving these corporations (for that is what they are now) your money, they'll soon get the message.

There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that (despite people having nothing to do during lock down) interest in the Premier League, and watching the seemingly wall to wall coverage of it on TV, has actually waned. Perhaps it is not quite the national obsession that the print and broadcast media would have us believe.

11 minutes ago, Way Of The Park said:

Simple message to all fans who are outraged by this, don't support it.

If you are buying merchandise, buying TV subscription packages, buying over priced tickets, tolerating kick off times that are purely for armchair audiences (especially for viewers in the United States and Asia), then you are stoking the machine and enabling them. Stop giving these corporations (for that is what they are now) your money, they'll soon get the message.

There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that (despite people having nothing to do during lock down) interest in the Premier League, and watching the seemingly wall to wall coverage of it on TV, has actually waned. Perhaps it is not quite the national obsession that the print and broadcast media would have us believe.

You are fully aware that that is what has subsidised the Premier League as well yeah? 

Football changed in 1992 when the Premier league took over, clubs are now billion pound businesses 

7 minutes ago, St Darren said:

You are fully aware that that is what has subsidised the Premier League as well yeah? 

Football changed in 1992 when the Premier league took over, clubs are now billion pound businesses 

Yes, know what funds the whole damned thing. Remember then that it was the threat of a breakaway from the big five elite first division clubs ( was Liverpool, Everton, Tottenham. Arsenal and Man United back then) that drove this.These clubs had already chucked the toys out of the pram in the early 80's with the promise of stomping off and forming a super league, they were talked back into the fold with the promise of keeping 100% of the home gate revenue rather than sharing it.

I think this is all posturing, the tv rights for Europe are up in 2024. What players are not going to want to play competitive football. If they join this circus they will only play the teams in that league which at present would be 11 other teams. No amount of money would compensate that. People say that players are greedy but deep down they love to play the game and compete. Yes they get paid silly money at present but that is not their fault. I think in the end the players may have the final say against these greedy owners. If enough say no and I think they will because of the public outcry then where will that leave the clubs.

Totally Agree with St Darren 

Football has been heading this way for years its all about the money, the premier league and sky tv has made clubs greedier 

And they go on about the champions league well for me it was better years ago when only the champions qualified and it was the European cup in those days smaller clubs in smaller nations could get few a round or two and get some money by playing against the bigger sides now they have to play about 10 games to reach the group stage 

I can remember Newport County reaching the quarter finals of the cup winners cup what hope has any of the smaller clubs got now, its all about the money 

In a few years it will be like American Football, the owners won't care if one fan is in the stadium as long as the cash keeps rolling in from tv deals and sponsorship 

No one has thought about this. Who is going to officiate these ‘Super League’ games? There isn’t going to be a single referee who is worth his/her salt that will officiate an non sanctioned FIFA match if they have any hope of refereeing in European Championship or World Cup at National Level. 

The Americanisation of Europeans football. Goldman Sachs are trying to form this league with 15 fixed members to run it like sport in the USA where you have fixed franchises in cities. These 5 so called yearly teams will in a couple of seasons have to buy their way in, then we will have the 20 fixed teams that they want now but are only currently saying 15 to try keep us all happy. It will be like American Football, Baseball or Basketball, no promotion in to it. I bet one of those 5 teams won't be from England but maybe Celtic or Rangers. 

Interesting listening to Lord O'Neill (former Goldman Sachs and Man United director) speak about this on Radio 4 this morning. He believes the intention is for the "European Super League" to run as a series of global events. For a blueprint of how this could work, take a look at the self styled "International Champions Cup" matches that have been played over past summers (link attached). It comprised very high profile friendlies played in North American, Asian and Australian cities between major clubs (the same lot that are now breaking away)., with sponsorship from Guinness and Audi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Champions_Cup

Two good examples of matches in recent years are Man United v Real Madrid in 2014, played in front of 109,000 in Michigan and (very significantly)  Chivas from Mexico v Atletico Madrid played in Texas in 2019. Only 12,000 attended this match, but the ESPN viewing figures in Mexico were up 127% on the usual numbers for a Chivas match.

The likes of JP Morgan will have looked at this and decided this thing is viable. Sky Sports and the rest may be posturing in order to be seen as in step with public opinion, but they will certainly be having discussions about getting involved.

As  W.C. Fields once said " it's only one mans opinion "  but I can't see what all the furore is over . We've got a dodgy situation  with the Russians sabre rattling , we've got a serious worldwide infection situation  , serious debt problems , young men being murdered over drug dealing on a daily basis etc. etc.  and here we are with governments  treating this Super League as if it ranks as a serious matter as the others . Let them go , it's only a football problem , people arn't going to die over it  , let them take their pieces of silver , football will survive somehow . People will still pay to watch their Plymouths and their Burton Albions  , football isn't all about Liverpool , Arsenal etc. .

As regards boycotting television companies , this is the clever part on their side . Taking me as an example , I'm heavily into motorsport , Eurosport do a very good coverage of live British Superbike and live World Superbikes , to me my Sky subscription is worth the money because of that . Sadly I  have to subscribe to the whole sport package , including football in order to watch Eurosport . Many others who enjoy " minority sports " are in the same boat  ., so unfortunately we have to contribute to the financially bloated  coffers of football clubs , agents and players . In some ways I agree with Darren , we can't blame the players , it's the agents and clubs funded by television money ( funded by subscription fees and  money added onto products to pay the advertising and sponsorship deals ) who throw the money around because they've got a bottomless pit . ( they believe !!!! ) .

Slight excuse to be rambling on today Older , I've had a good morning on the allotment in bright , sunny , warm weather . However true to form with my son's first motorcycle race  of the season meeting coming up next weekend , cold windy weather is forecast for that  weekend .

Edited by fenman
missing sentence

1 hour ago, Keith B said:

All six Premier League clubs have withdrawn interest, plus four European teams. It's not going to happen. Great.

The battle has been won, but the war is far from over. A revamped Champions League format is set to be announced in the next few days, it will continue the progress of that competition towards the ultimate nirvana of the "European Super League." It won't be called that, and it will be legal and sanctioned by UEFA, but that's what it will be.

The two giants of Spanish football, Barcelona and Real Madrid are  broke and it is only their names that keep them going, they need this to happen.