Cornwall Football Forum

Argyle - value to Prem Clubs

20 minutes ago, John Mead said:

Interesting to note that Plymouth Argyle attracted a total of 3,726 spectators to their 19 AWAY fixtures this season - an average of 196; the average attendance for the Premier League is just 108. 

Amazing especially playing on someone elses ground !

John - with a title Value to Prem Clubs - I wouldn't  get too carried away as 1400 of those spectators are accounted for in 3 games which takes the average down to 143 for the remaining 16 games. It is still better than without them and all revenue must be welcome, however weigh that against their capacity to greatly change their team which in turn has the capacity to affect outcomes of games and therefore league standings.

One thing for certain though is they have played some lovely football, showcased some very good players (youth and full pro)and generated lots of talking points

Accepting John Mead's stat, it's also interesting to note that given quite a lot was made by the SWPL about Argyle attracting the highest attendance of the season for the home club, with Argyle having completed their away games, this has been the situation in just 4 cases - at Tavistock, Saltash and Parkway, plus Cullompton in what was the first Premier division game of the season on a Friday evening ( given that Godolphin are likely to attract a big attendance against Newquay this week)

Edited by Jeff's Telling
mistake

Its been great having a chance to see the Plymouth Argyle youngsters and some time some of the 1st team i have watched the Plymouth Res at St Austell , St Blazey ,N ewquay , Godolphin , and Bodmin and next season i will be adding Sticker to that list im still hoping someone can tell me the team Plymouth res put out on satday i have the following players 1 cooper 2Hodges- 3- 4- 5 Rose 6Bentley 7 Jephcott 8 - 9 Fletcher 10- 11 thanks if u can help fill in the gaps

18 hours ago, 100%cornish said:

Its been great having a chance to see the Plymouth Argyle youngsters and some time some of the 1st team i have watched the Plymouth Res at St Austell , St Blazey ,N ewquay , Godolphin , and Bodmin and next season i will be adding Sticker to that list im still hoping someone can tell me the team Plymouth res put out on satday i have the following players 1 cooper 2Hodges- 3- 4- 5 Rose 6Bentley 7 Jephcott 8 - 9 Fletcher 10- 11 thanks if u can help fill in the gaps

3 laws 4ryan 8rooney 10lane 11richards 

Speaking to some of the Argyle Reserves fans (parents), it has been a mixed season for them as well.

To play in the SWPL the players have to be 16 or over, whereas the Youth Cup and their 'league' system  u16's can play. This has meant that their older youth players have been playing in the SWPL and consequently they have not played or done as well in the Cup or academy league - think that was it, I was too busy counting them scoring to listen in detail!!!

Also players of that calibre are not going to go flat out/risk injury playing local football when they potentially could have a professional contract at the end of their season. I know they are told to keep it tidy & don't do, or get involved in anything silly. (Ie risk getting hurt for local football!)