Cornwall Football Forum

Argyle hang on in there!

Just about!

Brilliant atmosphere at Home Park last night. Although having more first half possession, some how they went in at half time two down.

Matters were made even worse when they conceded a third early in the second half!

It was looking as if the second leg was going to be a waste of time, however with an amazing crowd behind them (let's ignore the people who were leaving early) they pulled two back and now go into Thursday's match still having a chance.

A fantastic full Home Park. 👍😄

The singing of "Every little thing's gonna be alright" and people waving mobile phones with lights on was awesome! It's a shame Wycombe played the slowing the game down card.

I wonder what the referee didn't understand about the handball.  Watched the game on the telly and I was impressed with the crowd who kept behind the team all the way  The singing of "Every little thing's gonna be alright" was amazing and how spontaneous was that when the fans switched on their mobile phone lights.   Every chance in the second leg.  Just watching Stevanage and Southend on the box. what absolute rubbish.  The commentators were trying to blame the pitch.  What utter nonsense.  Nothing wrong with it hardly a bobble. .

I think you saw a different game Dave, Home Park was silent at 3-0 apart from the 800 odd of us from WYCOMBE, the dumplings only woke up for the last 4 minutes or so. How Argyle finished with 11 players I'll never know, the elbow in the face and then dragging him off the floor was a disgrace. Hopefully we will have our goalkeeper back on Thursday, I am sure Matt Ingram would have saved one if not both Argyle goals if he had been there. Alex Lynch from bottom Southern League Premier club Burnham had a difficult first game, previously he only had about 30 mins the week before as sub at Northampton when Ingram went off.

Argyle were a poor side last night until injuries to so many Wanderers players took their toll.

Gareth Ainsworth says he's excited for the second leg of the play-off semi-final after his troops recorded an excellent 3-2 victory at Plymouth.

The result means Wycombe need to avoid defeat against the Pilgrims at Adams Park to progress to the final at Wembley Stadium, having given themselves an excellent advantage in the first leg. 

"I'm really pleased," he told wwfc.com after the game. "The boys and I would have taken a one-goal lead from this game and that's what we've got. We handled Plymouth really well, we kept them to a minimum and that's not a bad result at all. 

"They had 15,000 fans making all sorts of noise but we had more than 800 diehards who never stopped singing and they're buzzing with that win, just as I am. It's all to play for now." 

The margin of victory could have been greater after Argyle pulled themselves back into the tie with two late goals, and the Blues boss says injuries to all three strikers played a part in the Pilgrim's resurgence: 

"There are a few things we could have done better, but we lost three players up front and it disrupted us. We're a small squad so it's tough, and we have to make do with players out of position sometimes. That makes it even more of a good performance, so we go again on Thursday and if we get a clean sheet then we all know the reward. 

"I'm sure Plymouth will throw everything at us and we'll have to stand up to it, but if we play like that again, we'll get the ultimate prize." 

Ainsworth said he hopes to have all three players fit again for Thursday, with the possibility that Matt Ingram could return after missing the first leg through injury. 

"Dobbo, Baz and I will get our heads together and see who's fit. Hayesy's got a nasty gash and a few others have got little injury complaints but we'll recover. We've got them in for a warm down tomorrow (Sunday) and we'll do what we can to make sure everyone's fine for Thursday. 

The 'gaffer' had extra reason to celebrate with it being his 42nd birthday on Sunday, although he has no special plans other than focusing on Thursday's clash at Adams Park. 

"I'll wake up a happy man, another year older with a few more grey hairs, and just looking ahead to Thursday, that's all!" 

WEMBLEY BECKONS (Mountaineer said). :smiley20:

I think you saw a different game Dave,

​At 3-0 down who wouldn't be quiet for a while! In fact I think the Wycombe guys stopped singing a bit when it became 3-2 to you! Worried no doubt of Argyle staging a complete comeback!

At least Sheridan (Evening Herald report below) agreed with me Ivor :)

Argyle manager John Sheridan says 'unbelievable' fans were key to late fightback

JOHN SHERIDAN thought the noisy support of the Green Army gave his Plymouth Argyle players a lift when they needed it most against Wycombe Wanderers.

The Pilgrims trailed 3-0 as the play-off semi-final first leg entered its closing stages at a near sold-out Home Park on Saturday night.

A few fans headed for the exits early, but the vast majority stayed and continued to get behind Argyle.

It was an act of defiance as Wycombe's 800 or so supporters in two blocks at the Barn Park End revelled in their team's commanding lead.

Then, suddenly, there was new hope for Argyle in the 86th minute when Zak Ansah fired home from 25 yards.

The Pilgrims' players were inspired as the fans became even louder and hundreds of them shone the lights of their phones in the darkness and waved them around.

They also spontaneously burst into choruses of 'don't worry about a thing' from the famous Three Little Birds song by Bob Marley and The Wailers.

Then it was the turn of Jason Banton, like Ansah a second half substitute, to send Home Park into frenzy when he curled a low shot into the net in the 90th minute.

Long after the final whistle some supporters in the Devonport End continued to sing. It was as though Argyle had won, not lost 3-2.

Sheridan paid tribute to the Green Army for sticking behind his side and he expects it to be same in the second leg at Adams Park on Thursday.

He said: "It was an unbelievable atmosphere. At 3-0 down they were right behind us. The supporters were unbelievable and I know they will be unbelievable on Thursday. We will have nearly 2,000 there and could have 5,000 or 6,000 if we had the tickets. The atmosphere was brilliant. When we were 3-0 down and not playing well they were still singing. I think the players understand that as well. They know the support the fans gave us. I believe it gave us that lift. We got the goal and the atmosphere was even better, and then we got the second one."

Argyle speedily sold out their allocation of around 1,800 tickets for the second leg when they became available last week.

The club unsuccessfully requested more from Wycombe but, even so, it promises to be a noisy night in Buckinghamshire on Thursday.

Sheridan said: "I hope the fans can make a difference, but it's about what happens on the pitch. I have got to focus on my players and who is going to give me the performances I'm after to get us a result."

I appreciate goals win games but if anyone tries to tell me Wycombe were good, they'd be lying! Apart from 3 awful defensive errors from 3 set pieces (all 3 of Wycombes goals) Argyle had the majority, but couldn't make any impact in the final third. Not once did Wycombe unlock Argyle through their own skill or graft. They came with a game plan and to be fair they pulled it off.

I aassume that you are referring to Argyle should have been sent off. The 'elbow' was caught on camera to be a straight arm touching the players neck whilst looking at the ball. Just because Wycombe's man then held his face pretending he'd been hit there, doesn't mean it happened. Does that justify Saunders, who was on a yellow, to run up to the Argyle player and raise his arms by pushing him on the chest? If you're going to have a view, at least tell both sides!

Injuries to Wycombe's players were known as slowing the game down in injury time when Argyle had the momentum. I hope that's not an excuse.

Edited by Jasa

The atmosphere was fantastic, even at 0-3 down and Mrs Willow, having only even been to one match was converted. Despite the result Argyle have a new fan. There are some great clips on Youtube. Whether they can claw back the one goal deficit on Thursday remains to be seen but had they played the whole game like the final ten minutes, they would have been well in the driving seat by now.

Watched the game last night on sky. I don't think I've seen such a poor performance from any team as I did in that first half. No quality whatsoever ever and just launched the ball up to an isolated front man at the earliest opportunity. Defensively shocking for the goals. 

Second half they they were much better as they had to be. Ivor I bet you're glad you had that lynch in goal now as he made a couple of great saves late on. 

Ainsworth will get plaudits as well for clapping the argyle fans at the end. But that's easy to do when you've won. 

In League 2, the team in 4th generally does better in the play offs - that fact has so far proven correct. It's a shame Argyle couldn't build on the last ten minutes from the 1st leg. Maybe next season.....and maybe with players with Peninsula League experience.....!

Argyle deserve nothing over the two legs. No shots on target in the first half at Home Park. Dreadfull in the second half. Drove up there yesterday thinking they cannot be that bad again. Well blow me down they were even worse. The midfielders if you dare call them that must have neck ache. Watching the ball launched from end to end. Clueless Argyle. Wycombe got the ball down and moved around. Yes Argyle....moved around!! Out played and simply not good enough. 

The traffic was awful yesterday. Had to meet two mates who live in Basingstoke with their tickets. At 7.45 the match kicked off and there were hundreds queuing and a sea of people still running up the industrial estate to get to the ground. Of course no one would dare upset sky t.v and delay kick off for the fans. Modern football for you. 

Back home at half 3. Up for school run at half 7 and now off to work. Could be a long day. 

This must be one of the worse Argyle sides' since the Kevin Hodges 1999/2000/2001 days, 

Manager looks totally dis interested and its time the Chairman gave him his P45.

On last nights' performance they would'nt beat Truro City and would struggle to beat St.Austell.

Awful.

I think the team that suffered successive relegations in 2010 and 2011 was worse, and they nearly fell through the trap door. Peter Reid even sold his FA Cup winners medal to help fund the team. John Sheridan wasn't my first choice for manager but has brought stability to the club and fair enough two disappointing play off results but 7th place is an improvement. If the squad can build on this season then the future is bright. If not, then consider the manager's future but why risk rocking the boat because of two poor performances.

Out of Wycombe's last 25 games I have seen 22, Plymouth Argyle were far from the worse I saw us play, in February at Wycombe, Argyle played us off the park winning 2-0, if Argyle are as bad as people here think how bad are the 17 teams that finished below them in the league? they must be in dire straits.

I would have been disappointed as a Plymouth supporter simply because somewhere along the line the team appear to have lost it's desire to win, at Wycombe their small squad have been plagued with injuries for the past two months, last night only two came to meet the fans after the game in the bar, the others were on the treatment tables, they had given everything, from now until the Wembley final will be a healing process.

Argyle fans you may be down today but your team only needs a few minor adjustments, perhaps loan signings, it's worked here this season. There was a good rapport between both sets of fans with handshakes afterwards on the pitch.

St Darren from his usual ARMCHAIR has to comment about Gareth Ainsworth, if he knew the man he would not write such crap.

I've not criticised. I've just said it's easy to clap the opposition when you've won. He seems a good genuine passionate man. Just an observation that he'll get plaudits for when it's easy to do when you win. 

I've not been to argyle for about ten years due to cost and the standard of football on show really. Used to be a regular. Even completed the longest trip in the football league to watch a 1-1 draw

Sorry Darren, another of my wind up Darren moments, one day we may have that drink together.:smiley20:

You mentioned the standard of football on show, strange you said that, last night I said to a guy stood next to me about modern day fitness, I said the 1st Division (Premiership) all time greats of the past would find it difficult to compete in our 4th grade (Div 2) with the fitness on show now, he agreed the pace of even 2nd Div football leaves little time to relax, add to that the effort and determination and you get entertainment.

About the cost, season ticket holders following Wycombe can get in for £9.70 per game (standing) next season whether it is 1st or 2nd division with their early bird purchase price, otherwise it works out at £11.40 after May 29th.for oldies that £9.70 would drop to £8.26 now that has to be a bargain.

With my globetrotting I don't know if I shall renew my season ticket, maybe I will and cut out some of the away games, thinking of going to France in July with Wycombe for the preseason training camp and a friendly fixture but that leaves at 0630 hours the morning following my return from 3 weeks in the Canary Islands, my personal fitness level for galavanting may have a question mark about it.

Willow Tree....your quite correct. Football's all about a day with your mates. Met up with a couple mates I don't see to often as they live away. 4 travelled up with me plus a full Banana bus and several others who drove up. All met up in the beer tent and had a good evening. 

Looking forward to a trip to Barnet, Orient and Notts County among others. 

Seeing over 2100 Argyle at Wycombe with flags everywhere makes you want to see more of that. Gona take a lot over the summer to see the excitement return.

The last time I went regularly was when argyle won the third tier. The atandard back then was decent I thought. Although you never really notice how shit it is when you're at the game

im not sure how much it is to get into argyle nowadays but I believe it is £20 plus.