Cornwall Football Forum

Charity Cup Semi Final

I hear from a close friend that St.austall are intreasted in the young lad Brabyn as a replacement for the "out going" Ben Williams? What with Ben struggling for minutes and the lad Brabyn playing well, seems like an easy decision for the management at poltair park! Anyone confirm this

Brabyn is a right handful. Quality player. And he's got some bloody engine!! What does he eat for breakfast? 

Anyone got a match report? I heard penryn were class, they seem to have really hit form these last couple of months. Goals coming from all around the team, whoever wins out of us and St Dennis tonight, we'll have to be on top form in the final!

Edited by Blues10

I hear from a close friend that St.austall are intreasted in the young lad Brabyn as a replacement for the "out going" Ben Williams? What with Ben struggling for minutes and the lad Brabyn playing well, seems like an easy decision for the management at poltair park! Anyone confirm this

​One a right sided midfielder for another a left footed defender :yahoo:

Brabyn is a right handful. Quality player. And he's got some bloody engine!! What does he eat for breakfast? 

Anyone got a match report? I heard penryn were class, they seem to have really hit form these last couple of months. Goals coming from all around the team, whoever wins out of us and St Dennis tonight, we'll have to be on top form in the final!

Although the game didn’t start too well for Penryn with ‘keeper Chris Symons going off injured in the first ten minutes, Steve Jewell’s Penryn ended up well deserved winners against a Sticker side bereft of too many ideas once Penryn went ahead!

The Symons injury wasn’t of course too much of a problem though with the likes of former goalkeeper Scott Palmer on the bench.

The breakthrough for Penryn, a place behind their opponents in the top five of the SWPL Div 1 West table, came in the 23rd minute when skipper Ben Oliver headed in from a corner.

The second, and the first of some cracking goals for Penryn, came just after the half hour when Josh Burton hammered home a shot from just outside the penalty area into the top corner of Sticker’s net!  En route it might just have taken a deflection, but nevertheless it would have still been unstoppable for goally Ryan Holland!

As if the game wasn’t already settled with a lack lustre Sticker unable to make much impression on the Penryn defence, ten minutes after the break Luke Brabyn clinched a place in the final for the Kernick Road club with another good goal. Allowed to run at the Sticker defence, he finished it off by scoring through another shot from outside the penalty area.

By now it was beginning to look that every Penryn attack could end with a goal and in the 71st minute it was 4-0 when another long distance effort went in. Ryan Martt this time.

With ten minutes to go, Kevin Lawrence, whose trickery on the ball had caused Sticker problems all evening, was brought down for Palmer to score from the resultant penalty.

Before the kick-off a Penryn regular suggested to me that scoring had been their problem this season. It wasn’t a problem last night! They now await the winners of Helston Athletic or St Dennis who meet at Falmouth’s Bickland Park this evening.

The final is on  on May 6, with the second semi final being played at Falmouth Town's Bickland Park on Wednesday night.

Although the game didn’t start too well for Penryn with ‘keeper Chris Symons going off injured in the first ten minutes, Steve Jewell’s Penryn ended up well deserved winners against a Sticker side bereft of too many ideas once Penryn went ahead!

The Symons injury wasn’t of course too much of a problem though with the likes of former goalkeeper Scott Palmer on the bench.

The breakthrough for Penryn, a place behind their opponents in the top five of the SWPL Div 1 West table, came in the 23rd minute when skipper Ben Oliver headed in from a corner.

The second, and the first of some cracking goals for Penryn, came just after the half hour when Josh Burton hammered home a shot from just outside the penalty area into the top corner of Sticker’s net!  En route it might just have taken a deflection, but nevertheless it would have still been unstoppable for goally Ryan Holland!

As if the game wasn’t already settled with a lack lustre Sticker unable to make much impression on the Penryn defence, ten minutes after the break Luke Brabyn clinched a place in the final for the Kernick Road club with another good goal. Allowed to run at the Sticker defence, he finished it off by scoring through another shot from outside the penalty area.

By now it was beginning to look that every Penryn attack could end with a goal and in the 71st minute it was 4-0 when another long distance effort went in. Ryan Martt this time.

With ten minutes to go, Kevin Lawrence, whose trickery on the ball had caused Sticker problems all evening, was brought down for Palmer to score from the resultant penalty.

Before the kick-off a Penryn regular suggested to me that scoring had been their problem this season. It wasn’t a problem last night! They now await the winners of Helston Athletic or St Dennis who meet at Falmouth’s Bickland Park this evening.

The final is on  on May 6, with the second semi final being played at Falmouth Town's Bickland Park on Wednesday night.

Cheers Dave. Sounds like it was one way traffic last night.

Hopefully us and St Dennis can put on a good semi final tonight, unlike the drab league game a month or so ago ha! 

Hopefully us and St Dennis can put on a good semi final tonight, unlike the drab league game a month or so ago ha! 

Goldy maybe worse to come, Sticker have their final league game Saturday against none other than Penryn, blimey Sticker gotta find their mojo or that man Lawrence will cause more heartache.

Penryn attacked in numbers, always an outlet and Lawrence didn't waste a thing. As for their fair play position, alot down to great discipline, just got on with the decisions handed out by the officials, unlike a couple of Sticker players who argued through their red mist taking themselves out of the game and the job in hand. Well done to Penryn a credit to the CSWPL.

Goldy maybe worse to come, Sticker have their final league game Saturday against none other than Penryn, blimey Sticker gotta find their mojo or that man Lawrence will cause more heartache.

Penryn attacked in numbers, always an outlet and Lawrence didn't waste a thing. As for their fair play position, alot down to great discipline, just got on with the decisions handed out by the officials, unlike a couple of Sticker players who argued through their red mist taking themselves out of the game and the job in hand. Well done to Penryn a credit to the CSWPL.

What's the C in CSWPL? If a distinction needs to be made, surely it would be the SWPL(W) as in Western, and as against (E) for Eastern and I guess SWPL(P) Premier. In real terms though SWPL will do for all three leagues, most of us know who's who!

Breugal - was that a serious question ?

Foolish as it may now seem, Older, particularly since the sub-forum is indeed called the "Calesburg South West Peninsula League", yes it was. I must admit that I am so used to referring to the SWPL that, as with national and other local leagues I forget (ignore) the sponsors name or initial. I couldn't offhand tell you who sponsors the professional leagues nor would I add the sponsors name when discussing them. So yes, Sado that I am, I asked in all naivety, seriously! Just an Elder moment really!

Breugal - was that a serious question ?

Foolish as it may now seem, Older, particularly since the sub-forum is indeed called the "Calesburg South West Peninsula League", yes it was. I must admit that I am so used to referring to the SWPL that, as with national and other local leagues I forget (ignore) the sponsors name or initial. I couldn't offhand tell you who sponsors the professional leagues nor would I add the sponsors name when discussing them. So yes, Sado that I am, I asked in all naivety, seriously! Just an Elder moment really!

Apologies ol'timer perhaps you would recognise FOASWPL - flagon of ale south west peninsula league .... happy days

​Ennis I don't think I have seen a Sticker side perform like that in a long time and as Dave Deacon rightly says after the first goal went in they were bereft of ideas. Just a hopeful punt upfield most of the time. What happened to the passing football that was a joy to watch earlier in the season. The whole team should go and watch the reserve team and see how its done!!

​One a right sided midfielder for another a left footed defender :yahoo:

Dave a man of your footballing knowledge should know that Brabyn started playing football as a left midfielder , then a left wing back #justsaying 

Truro get another big game, despite not being in any local leagues ???

​Strange that one-Truro get the Semi Final and Final but the Truro club didn't paticipate in the two Cornwall Competitions - Senior Cup or Charity Cup.

England don't participate in the fa cup but the final is still held at Wembley. What the fuss about? Surely the players would want to play on a teams pitch which is the closest thing to professional the county have got?

St Austell has, I would argue, a worse slope. Newquay has a slope. Bodmin has a slope. Liskeard has a slope. Helston has a slope. Thank heaven Torpoint is flat! :thumbsup:

It could be about rewarding effort. The season after all the hard work Wadebridge put into flattening their awful slope and the new stand etc, they were awarded the Senior Cup final.

Edited by Guest

St Austell has, I would argue, a worse slope. Newquay has a slope. Bodmin has a slope. Liskeard has a slope. Helston has a slope. Thank heaven Torpoint is flat! :thumbsup:

It could be about rewarding effort. The season after all the hard work Wadebridge put into flattening their awful slope and the new stand etc, they were awarded the Senior Cup final.

Perranwell have a beautiful slope ,ask Rappo and Martin Gritton lol.