Cornwall Football Forum

Penryn v Helston Weds 24 Sep 14

Worth every penny of my £3 tonight. Referee was superb and I loved the long sleeves! I totally forgot I come to watch two teams play football once he started blowing his whistle...love a ref ruining an entertaining game ?

Shout of the match from the Penryn bar person...I wish the ref would hurry up and blow his watch

1st red was for hand ball, denying a goal scoring opportunity-straight forward enough. Dont know why the 2nd yellow was given, but i dont know if it may have been the same player that got booked for a dive earlier on, so silly 1st yellow. But for you two helston fans to blame the ref I think takes away what was a very good performance from the young Penryn lads. Well done to a very good Penryn side from me. Ref I thought was mostly right. And another helston player could of quite easily been sent off at the end for an attempted rugby tackle!

Luke Brabyn the man of the match for me.

Decent crowd and very entertaining game for a neutral.

Ron Manager...no one above was blaming the ref for Helston defeat. They were passing comment on his performance

Forgetting the referee's performance how do you think the game was won or lost?

The game was won for Penryn by scoring more goals than Helston.

The game was lost for Helston by not scoring more goals than Penryn.

The game was lost mainly due to a poor defensive performance by Helston. To score 4 goals away from home should ensure you get something from the game. Take nothing away from Penryn, good young side who stuck to a game plan and played on the counter with pace and purpose. Some of the Ref's decisions were slightly strange but overall an entertaining game for the crowd - someone said 225 which is awesome for a midweek game. Well done all!

I thought Penryn just about deserved it Dave, little bit sharper than us to the loose balls and a bit more fluent than us in attack, which is rarely the case when Helston play. So fair play to Pemryn and it's going to be far from a one or two horse race this season, with at least 5 teams capable of putting a decent run together similar to that we have enjoyed in recent weeks.

As for the referee he missed some fouls and was a bit inconsistent with the cards and made some strange comments. Whilst the game was an advert for great attacking play at a level most agree has deteriorated over the last year 15 years. It also was a game that highlighted the dwindling ability of the man in charge, with the exception of a couple of decent refs (George Pattison, Kevin Knowles to name a few) over the last few years I genuinely leave games perplexed at some of the decisions I witness. However with such a shortage of the men in black, they are what David Atenborough might describe a protected species. A little bit like 9 players showing up for 5 a side, guaranteed a game no matter what your ability. Whilst continuing with the 5 a side analogy it is such a shame that 70% of the refs I see were very probably the 11th pick at 5 a side at school and ref a game like as if it is their 'moment' in the spotlight. On a football pitch in charge of the guys that in their minds eye represent the very tormentors from yesterdyear that would have condemned them to the sideline with just a bib for company. So until more ex-players give something back to the game that has given us all so much, we will continually witness the abject displays of the 'man in the middle'.

I haven't seen or heard of any real effort from the powers that be within the CCFA, to recruit and train ex players to take up the whistl., Last night was a prime example, great ground, under lights, why weren't three proper officials appointed? Excellent opportunity for a couple of aspiring referees to take the flag for a great experience in a relatively big game for this neck of the woods. I suspect clubs at our level would be resistant to this given the huge expense that one official is, let alone three but food for thought for the future. I'm sure any up and coming ambitious referee would 'run the line' for nothing in a game of that nature.

Over and out :-)

I thought Penryn just about deserved it Dave, little bit sharper than us to the loose balls and a bit more fluent than us in attack, which is rarely the case when Helston play. So fair play to Pemryn and it's going to be far from a one or two horse race this season, with at least 5 teams capable of putting a decent run together similar to that we have enjoyed in recent weeks.

As for the referee he missed some fouls and was a bit inconsistent with the cards and made some strange comments. Whilst the game was an advert for great attacking play at a level most agree has deteriorated over the last year 15 years. It also was a game that highlighted the dwindling ability of the man in charge, with the exception of a couple of decent refs (George Pattison, Kevin Knowles to name a few) over the last few years I genuinely leave games perplexed at some of the decisions I witness. However with such a shortage of the men in black, they are what David Atenborough might describe a protected species. A little bit like 9 players showing up for 5 a side, guaranteed a game no matter what your ability. Whilst continuing with the 5 a side analogy it is such a shame that 70% of the refs I see were very probably the 11th pick at 5 a side at school and ref a game like as if it is their 'moment' in the spotlight. On a football pitch in charge of the guys that in their minds eye represent the very tormentors from yesterdyear that would have condemned them to the sideline with just a bib for company. So until more ex-players give something back to the game that has given us all so much, we will continually witness the abject displays of the 'man in the middle'.

I haven't seen or heard of any real effort from the powers that be within the CCFA, to recruit and train ex players to take up the whistl., Last night was a prime example, great ground, under lights, why weren't three proper officials appointed? Excellent opportunity for a couple of aspiring referees to take the flag for a great experience in a relatively big game for this neck of the woods. I suspect clubs at our level would be resistant to this given the huge expense that one official is, let alone three but food for thought for the future. I'm sure any up and coming ambitious referee would 'run the line' for nothing in a game of that nature.

Over and out :-)

So the free courses aren't an attempt by the County to attract ex-players?

Referees can never be right, a good decision for one side is a bad decision for the other. So no matter what decision is made, someone on the pitch or around the ground isn't happy. He only gets one view, so does everyone else. There are no replays so what some people "see" can be completely different from the referees angle. If people carry on complaining about refs then there will be no games on a Saturday or midweek as, like I say every week, "why would you want to be a ref. I certainly won't be after I stop playing. Fowey travelled to Tavistock last weekend to find that no ref turned up. If people carry on slagging refs off this will be a more common occourance so how about we just give them a break.

An average player moaning about an average ref, brilliant!

If you're suggesting James is an average player - think again. He was one of the best around at his peak!

Come on druth1966, speak nicely and I might let you come around and get some of my trophies out of the loft and give them a clean and while your at it my Aston could do with a good polish to. :yahoo:

If you're suggesting James is an average player - think again. He was one of the best around at his peak!

Now he's down in the valley perhaps it's time for him to take up the whistle and show us all how it's done!

Down in the valley?!? However given that I was always the 10th pick at 5 a side I dont think I have the profile to be a referee in our parts. Who knows what the future may bring, being a ref beats B&Q on a saturday afternoon. :D

Dave, on a side note I wonder how many responses these threads would get if everyone had to put their names to their opinions/thoughts?

Come on druth1966, speak nicely and I might let you come around and get some of my trophies out of the loft and give them a clean and while your at it my Aston could do with a good polish to. :yahoo:

:D:thumbsup::drink:

Dave, on a side note I wonder how many responses these threads would get if everyone had to put their names to their opinions/thoughts?

Probably not too many. It's always been a talking point.

And that is why this forum is so popular!!!

I have said it before on another thread about ex players being the best referees out there at this standard, sadly not many pick the whistle up until they're getting on a bit as they normally try and play until they can play no more!so never really make it to a decent level!

I do agree with James about the fact x2 linesmen could of easily be allocated to the game, when fixtures are low in the week why not I'm sure Paul Murphy could of got a couple easily??

The referee was out of his depth and made up for that by being loud, arrogant and lost control of the game on many occasions, he didn't control the tempo of the game as most experienced referees would of done, and to that end ended up showing countless yellows and a couple of reds.

A learning curve perhaps, or maybe just how things are! I know what would increase people to pick up the whistle more.....increase the money clubs pay officials, make it worth while,£18 a game plus mileage...not a chance you'd see people do it,£30+ at junior / early senior plus mileage then your talking...! I mean a crowd of 200+, plus the 50/50, food, tea etc and bar takings....easily affordable!

That was then and this is now. I played against him when he was at Penzance and he was average back then to. I'll pass on the cleaning thanks, got my hands full with my Hymer, but thanks for the offer B)

You should consider it, I will even throw in a Cornwall cap for your endeavour.

Keep the cap, Im not very good with musty smells

Ref got nearly every decision right.could of gave a penalty to penryn before they scored played a good advantage, picked up westy for a dive again correct, Helston players lacked discipline and after being booked mouthing off to any ref is not good as a sending off is inevitable. On a good note two very good sides playing great football some cracking goals,best penryn side I have seen in quite a while,and Helston scoring four goals away from home you would expect a win,central defenders struggled with Laurence and no one could deal with the pace of Brayben who for me was mom

As an x player and now a referee one problem we come up against is the fitness test is in June with the sweep up in August, if you have two holidays or have an injury at his time it means in general you can't referee the higher standard games leaving a bit of a shortage of referees